Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 11:21:53 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Dahl

Pitt lost to Rutgers.  Yes, that Rutgers.  16th out of 16 in the Big East.  Pitt was also absolutely crushed by Dayton.  Pitt finishes maybe 5th or 6th in the Big Ten.  The Big East is "deep" only in that there are so many teams in the league, of course it's gonna have a few more quality teams.  Be sure, though, there are just as many bad teams in the Big East as there are good ones.

Almost every team has one bad loss.  Pittsburgh was undefeated until Cook went down.  They lost to Rutgers without Cook and Fields.  How well do you think IU would do without White and Gordon?

Pittsburgh would finish 5th or 6th if they were in the Big Ten?  So, in other words they are no better than Minnesota?
  Post #: 126
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 11:27:03 AM   
Matt Dahl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete C

quote:

Pitt lost to Rutgers.  Yes, that Rutgers.  16th out of 16 in the Big East.  Pitt was also absolutely crushed by Dayton.  Pitt finishes maybe 5th or 6th in the Big Ten.  The Big East is "deep" only in that there are so many teams in the league, of course it's gonna have a few more quality teams.  Be sure, though, there are just as many bad teams in the Big East as there are good ones.

Almost every team has one bad loss.  Pittsburgh was undefeated until Cook went down.  They lost to Rutgers without Cook and Fields.  How well do you think IU would do without White and Gordon?

Pittsburgh would finish 5th or 6th if they were in the Big Ten?  So, in other words they are no better than Minnesota?

EXACTLY!

M
Post #: 127
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 11:30:42 AM   
Jim Frenette

I will be surprised if Ohio State makes the tourney

Fargo
Post #: 128
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 11:32:59 AM   
Ian Joseph

Fargo, you get my PM?  The second link in the board announcement Sammy posted does not work.  I need it changed (thats what I get for not totally testing it).

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 129
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 11:35:28 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

Fargo, you get my PM?  The second link in the board announcement Sammy posted does not work.  I need it changed (thats what I get for not totally testing it).

Not yet, I got in through the first one. I did have to sign in and activate my profile, then backout and go in again. I just searched Purple reign and it took me to your group

Fargo
Post #: 130
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 11:35:57 AM   
Ryan Buckingham

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

I will be surprised if Ohio State makes the tourney

I don't think they have a chance of making the tourney now. 

Improvise, overcome and adapt!
Post #: 131
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 11:37:26 AM   
Ian Joseph

Ohio St is not getting in.. Their record is awful and I do not think their RPI is very stout.

Believe.
Post #: 132
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 11:46:46 AM   
Ryan Buckingham

To see this team continue to win, I mean THIS TEAM, the team without Tollackson playing at all, is really fun.  Johnson and Westbrook are the glue but this is a TEAM in the true sense.  The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.  Not only no Tollackson to bang White, but Coleman played sparingly due to fouls and Johnson fouled out. 

I told myself when Busch raced back to foul that Indiana player who had a breakaway, that he failed to convert, that would be huge.  The Indiana player made 1 of 2 free throws.  The other key hidden play was when Jon Williams got fouled and went to the line for a 1 and 1.  He somehow made the first one, which took a while to fall, and then swished the second.  Without those hidden plays, Indiana probably wins.  Role players making game changing contributions is how you advance in a tournament.  We can beat Illinois today.

Post #: 133
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 12:02:39 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

And congrats again to Tubby. This is possibly the least talented 20 win team I think I've ever seen.

We're 11 games better than last year with more still to play.

The best part, they graduate only 3 starters. Johnson and Westbrook grew up big time the last couple of days and now know what it takes to win a big game. First Hoffaber wins an ESPY, and now last night was the #1 high-lite on ESPN. Next level for him to make a last second shot is the NBA.

And they are 3 seniors we can actually afford to lose.

Tollackson plays hard, but he's so athletically limited, he's really just a "big body". Horrible rebounder for his size.

Coleman and McKenzie are very talented guys, but they are so inconsistent. You just can't count on either of them night-in and night-out.

Take Johnson, Westbrook, Nolan and Hoffarber and add an absolutely killer recruiting class, and I'm already dying to see next season.
Post #: 134
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 12:06:42 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Tubby has made the program relevant again.
Good points from all this am.
he's done it by establishing "team" and by using the pieces he has to their full ability.
Some of these contributors are names we hadn't even heard of.
Instead of playing out the string, Tubby worked at creating a team that uses each players strengths.
Very, very, good coach.
As has been said, when he gets "his" players in here, look out Big Ten.
Post #: 135
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 12:09:13 PM   
Duane Sampson

quote:

I changed it, Ian
Post #: 136
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 12:10:42 PM   
Ian Joseph

Cool.  Many thanx.

Believe.
Post #: 137
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 1:23:07 PM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

EXACTLY!

Okay.  Pitt plays for the Big East Championship tonight yet you think they are only as good as Minnesota.  You think the Big Ten is the best conference in the country.  You think the Big Ten hasn't been this good in the last 15 years.  Either you are utterly without knowledge of ncaa bb, or you just like to start arguments.

< Message edited by Pete C -- 3/15/2008 1:37:43 PM >
  Post #: 138
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 2:06:28 PM   
Lets break some of this down. 

2008 the Big Ten is 6th average overall RPI.  The Big Ten is a combined 94-42 outside of conference vs. Division 1.  The Big Ten's nonconference strength of schedule is ranked 9th.  Only one team in the Big Ten (Ohio State) has a strength of schedule rating in the top 20.  The average strength of schedule per team in the Big Ten was 65.  The conference will send 4 teams to the NCAA tournament this year.

Now I'm not even going to get into the argument that the Big 10 is the best conference this year, because I don't really think you mean that.  If so, I'm really wasting my time. 

But for comparison, the Big Ten was an excellent conference in 1999, that does fall within the last 15 years, btw.
In '99 the Big Ten was 1st in average overall RPI.  The Big Ten was a combined 103-28 outside of conference vs. Division 1.  The Big Ten's nonconference strength of schedule was ranked #1.  In '99, eight of the eleven teams in the Big Ten had a strength of schedule rating in the top 20.  The average strength of schedule per team in the Big Ten in '99 was 16.  In '99 The Big Ten sent 7 teams to the NCAA Tournament, with two teams reaching the Final Four. 

If you truly think this is the best year for Big Ten basketball in the last fifteen years, I can only assume that you really don't follow it all that closely.
  Post #: 139
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 4:38:45 PM   
Lynn G.

I just tuned in during the halftime report on ESPN and they were talking about a couple of the games in the tournament.  One of them mentioned that a player (can't remember which two teams were playing) should have just thrown the ball and taken a shot - and the other one said "Go Hoffarber."

That's fantastic!  Our own freshman has become an adjective (or a noun) for college basketball!  Soon everyone will be saying "He Hoffarbed it" when someone shoots an amazing long-distance shot.  

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 140
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 4:50:11 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Boys are hanging tough again today.
You can do it!
Good to hear Tony Dungy there pulling for the old alma mater.
Man, he needs to come back to Minnesota. Class act.
Post #: 141
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 5:35:40 PM   
Ryan Buckingham

What a crappy way to end the game!  The clock DID NOT start when we threw it in, but you can't give the ball to Illinois!

How come we can't beat them you ask?  Because we get NOTHING from our tall players.  Williams blows a sure dunk.  Tollackson plays but is less than 100% and is horrible at the line.  Coleman has no points in the second half. 

< Message edited by Ryan Buckingham -- 3/15/2008 11:03:24 PM >

Post #: 142
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 6:24:50 PM   
Ian Joseph

Minnesota won 20 games.  Why are the folks talking about them being on the outside looking in?  They might be one of the low, low seeds, but I think they get in.  I could be wrong.

Believe.
Post #: 143
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 6:34:35 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

Minnesota won 20 games.  Why are the folks talking about them being on the outside looking in?  They might be one of the low, low seeds, but I think they get in.  I could be wrong.

They had a very weak non conference schedule Ian

Ryan, I agree, How could they give it to Ill?

Fargo
Post #: 144
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 6:48:34 PM   
Ian Joseph

Ok.  Well then the haterisms make sense.

Believe.
Post #: 145
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 8:08:35 PM   
quote:

Unfortunately there are 97 other teams with 20+ wins.
  Post #: 146
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 8:28:49 PM   
Ryan Buckingham

If you listened to that fraud talk about how "a win is a win" then none of the "weak schedule" stuff should matter.  This was the head of the NCAA selection committee saying that the conference does not matter and a "a win is a win."  So if that does not matter, then what does?

This team over-achieved all season.  They would not have beaten Wisconsin anyway.  For them to win 20 games by only adding Blake Hoffarber, Al Nolen (who REALLY needs to work on his shot) and Travis Busch, that speaks volumes for Tubby.  Anything they did this year was gravy.  It is just nice to care about college basketball late in the season for once. 

Post #: 147
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 10:25:08 PM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

EXACTLY!

Pitt Panthers Big East Conference Tournament Champions.  4 wins in 4 days, three of them against Top 25 teams.  Care to revise, change or retract any of your statements?
  Post #: 148
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 10:52:22 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Ryan Buckingham

If you listened to that fraud talk about how "a win is a win" then none of the "weak schedule" stuff should matter.  This was the head of the NCAA selection committee saying that the conference does not matter and a "a win is a win."  So if that does not matter, then what does?

This team over-achieved all season.  They would not have beaten Wisconsin anyway.  For them to win 20 games by only adding Blake Hoffarber, Al Nolen (who REALLY needs to work on his shot) and Travis Busch, that speaks volumes for Tubby.  Anything they did this year was gravy.  It is just nice to care about college basketball late in the season for once. 

Tubby put us back on the map.  Quite possibly the best hire in Minnesota sports in twenty years. 

I've said it before, but talk about getting the most out of your players.  I'm excited about Gopher BB again for the first time in a long time.

A NIT bid is a good thing for this team.  I hope they show well.  It will be great for experience for the young guys and they'll be playing quality competition. 
  Post #: 149
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/15/2008 11:14:06 PM   
Ryan Buckingham

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ryan Buckingham

Tubby put us back on the map.  Quite possibly the best hire in Minnesota sports in twenty years. 

I've said it before, but talk about getting the most out of your players.  I'm excited about Gopher BB again for the first time in a long time.

A NIT bid is a good thing for this team.  I hope they show well.  It will be great for experience for the young guys and they'll be playing quality competition. 

Yes, the guys that are playing this year will be better for it.  I don't think know if they will be starters next year, probably Westbrook, Johnson and 3 freshmen next year.   

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode