Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Hockey

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Hockey Page: <<   < prev  103 104 [105] 106 107   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Hockey - 7/15/2015 12:03:41 PM   
Jeff Jesser

While I'm sure it he wasn't "the first" the changing started with Grant Pultony. At least that's how I remember it.
Post #: 2601
RE: Gopher Hockey - 7/15/2015 12:08:29 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

While I'm sure it he wasn't "the first" the changing started with Grant Pultony. At least that's how I remember it.

And he was the guy who changed my thinking on it
Couldn't have been a more impactful guy
Loved his career. Still love him.
Would have been a shame to keep him off the team for any reason.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2602
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/10/2015 11:26:41 AM   
SoMnFan

Oct. 7, 2015

The Gopher Hockey program enters its 95th season in 2015-16 as the two-time defending Big Ten regular-season champions and the defending Big Ten tournament champions. Minnesota opens the campaign -- the 17th under head coach Don Lucia -- on Saturday, Oct. 10, hosting the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game at Mariucci Arena against Vermont at 7 p.m.

Four Championships -- A Program First
For the first time in Gopher Hockey history, the Maroon & Gold have earned four-straight regular-season conference titles after repeating as Big Ten champions last year. Minnesota's 6-2 win over Penn State in the regular-season finale clinched the championship for Minnesota with the title standing as the 16th regular-season conference crown in program history. Prior to the back-to-back Big Ten titles, Minnesota won two-straight MacNaughton Cups as WCHA regular-season champions in the team's final two years in the league (co-champions in 2012-13).

Pacing the Nation
Not only have the Gophers won four-straight conference titles, they've earned four-straight NCAA tournament berths over that span including two trips to the NCAA Frozen Four and added a Big Ten tournament title last year. Perhaps even more impressive is the overall record of the Maroon & Gold over that stretch. Over the last four years, Minnesota leads the nation in total wins (105), winning percentage (.690) and fewest losses (43).

Our Home, Our Hockey
Now entering its 22nd season at Mariucci Arena, Minnesota has been incredibly successful on its home ice, boasting a 304-116-46 (.700) all-time record at the venue. The dominance has never been more apparent than the last four years with the Gophers leading the nation in home wins (63), home winning percentage (.801) and fewest home losses (13). In Big Ten play, Minnesota holds a 17-1-2 (.875) all-time record on home ice. Four of Minnesota's first five games this season will be played at Mariucci Arena including the season opener. (All statistics except for Mariucci Arena record include Minnesota's win at TCF Bank Stadium in 2013-14.).

Four to Lead in 2015-16
The Gophers will see a new crop of leaders in the locker room this season with junior forward Justin Kloos serving as team captain while redshirt junior forward Connor Reilly, junior forward Hudson Fasching, and junior defenseman Jake Bischoff will act as alternate captains for the Maroon & Gold. Kloos, who returns as Minnesota's active leading scorer, replaces two-year team captain Kyle Rau while the cadre of alternate captains take over for Ben Marshall and Seth Ambroz. This year's group of leaders mark the 161st-164th players to serve as either captain or alternate captain for the Gophers in a tradition that dates back to the program's first year of play in 1921-22 when Chet Bros led the Maroon & Gold.

Michaelson Against Vermont
The Gophers feature only one player who saw the ice the last time Minnesota took on Vermont (a two-game road sweep for the Gophers in 2012-13), but it was certainly a memorable experience for A.J. Michaelson. The senior forward tallied his first collegiate point (an assist) in the series opener -- a 5-1 Minnesota Victory -- and then notched his first collegiate goal -- the eventual game winner -- the following night in a 3-1 sweep-clinching victory.

Fresh Faces on the Team
With six seniors graduating last season and three juniors signing professional contracts, a sizable rookie class will be joining the Gophers roster this year. Coach Lucia has added 10 incoming freshmen to bolster the roster (Jack Sadek, Curt Simonson, Brent Gates Jr., Brock Kautz, Tyler Sheehy, Ryan Norman, Tommy Novak, Jack Ramsey, Eric Schierhorn, Darian Romanko). Broken down by position, Minnesota adds two goalies, two defensemen and six forwards. Additionally, the Maroon & Gold have added junior forward Mike Szmatula to the roster following a transfer from Northeastern. (Szmatula will sit out the 2015-16 due to NCAA transfer rules.)

Big Ten Preseason Poll, Players to Watch
The University of Minnesota was picked to finish second in the Big Ten Conference this season, according to the Big Ten Preseason Coaches Poll. Michigan was tabbed the league's preseason favorite while Michigan State, Penn State, Ohio State and Wisconsin rounded out the conference outlook. It's the second time in the conference's three-year existence that the Gophers were selected to finish second after the inaugural season in 2013-14. Minnesota was accurately picked to repeat as league champions the following year in 2014-15. Meanwhile, juniors Justin Kloos and Hudson Fasching were among 12 Big Ten players selected for the Preseason Players to Watch list this year.

Lucia Makes Gophers History
Now in his 29th season as a Division I head coach and his 17th season at the University of Minnesota, Don Lucia is among the most successful coaches in college hockey history. Lucia led the Gophers to two NCAA titles and continues to produce elite-level teams and talent. The Grand Rapids, Minn., native is Minnesota's all-time winningest coach with 395 victories to his name after passing Doug Woog late last season. Lucia's 674-357-97 (.641) all-time record ranks ninth all-time among college hockey coaches and is third among active coaches (Jerry York, Red Berenson).

Gophers in the Draft
The University of Minnesota features 12 players whose rights have been drafted by NHL teams including four newcomers. Three freshmen were drafted in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft -- Brent Gates Jr. (Anaheim, third round, 80th overall), Tommy Novak (Nashville, third round, 85th overall), Jack Sadek (Minnesota, seventh round, 204th overall) -- while Jack Ramsey was selected in 2014 (Chicago, seventh round, 208th overall). The Minnesota Wild (Sadek, Nick Seeler) and the New York Islanders (Taylor Cammarata, Jake Bischoff) lead all NHL teams with two Gopher draftees each.

11 Gophers Make NHL Rosters
Gopher Hockey will feature 11 alums on NHL opening rosters this week with Nick Bjugstad (Florida Panthers), Alex Goligoski (Dallas Stars), Erik Haula (Minnesota Wild), Erik Johnson (Colorado Avalanche), Phil Kessel (Pittsburgh Penguins), Nick Leddy (New York Islanders), Paul Martin (San Jose Sharks), Kyle Okposo (New York Islanders), Nate Schmidt (Washington Capitals), Thomas Vanek (Minnesota Wild) and Blake Wheeler (Winnipeg Jets) making the cut. Additionally, Todd Richards returns to the bench as head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets, Darby Hendrickson continues to serve as an assistant coach with the Minnesota Wild and Paul Holmgren is the president of the Philadelphia Flyers.
Post #: 2603
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/11/2015 9:48:50 AM   
SoMnFan

Dropped the opener 3-0 to the Catamounts

Post #: 2604
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/11/2015 11:15:12 AM   
Jeff Jesser

shutout at home to open the season
Post #: 2605
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/11/2015 11:45:45 AM   
stfrank

Lots of young kids getting their first taste and making lots of rookie mistakes. This year is going to be a year of growing pains for the team and lowered expectations from me. I didn't watch a lot of the game, but when I did jump over from the Wild game it didn't look real good.
Post #: 2606
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/16/2015 9:44:34 PM   
stfrank

Watched most of the game against UMD and from what I see right now, this team may be a .500 team this year. Some of the young guys may become good, but if the upperclassmen don't step it up it will be a real long year. I am very disappointed in Hudson Fasching, who seems to have regressed rather than improved since his freshman season. Cammarata has become a wasted top 6 spot and his lack of effort in the defensive zone is killing his line. Kloos is looking like he is getting frustrated and trying to do too much by himself. The problem with the rest of the upperclassmen is they are all 3rd or 4th line grinders so it is going to be a real struggle to put the puck in the net.
Post #: 2607
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/16/2015 10:20:26 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

Watched most of the game against UMD and from what I see right now, this team may be a .500 team this year. Some of the young guys may become good, but if the upperclassmen don't step it up it will be a real long year. I am very disappointed in Hudson Fasching, who seems to have regressed rather than improved since his freshman season. Cammarata has become a wasted top 6 spot and his lack of effort in the defensive zone is killing his line. Kloos is looking like he is getting frustrated and trying to do too much by himself. The problem with the rest of the upperclassmen is they are all 3rd or 4th line grinders so it is going to be a real struggle to put the puck in the net.

It's appears they are the worst D1 team in the state by a long shot. Who woulda ever thought?
Post #: 2608
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/16/2015 10:30:28 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

It's appears they are the worst D1 team in the state by a long shot. Who woulda ever thought?

And to top it off, UMD has more Minnesota kids than the Gophers this season. Another one of those Who'd a thunk that..........
Post #: 2609
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/17/2015 9:02:20 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap, gonna be a loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggg year fellas.
Post #: 2610
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/20/2015 9:52:49 AM   
SoMnFan

Ouch
Hey, at least we aren't worth hating anymore ..
Post #: 2611
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/23/2015 12:41:44 PM   
twinsfan

I just noticed the Gophers (0-3) are ranked. Bemidji State, with a win over UMD and a tie with UND, is not ranked.
Post #: 2612
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/23/2015 12:51:46 PM   
Jeff Jesser

We don't be if we don't smoke Northeastern this weekend. You received the most votes. It's just a "trust" thing with the pollsters. Meaning, they don't trust Bemidji....yet. Put a whoopin' on Mankato this weekend and you will.
Post #: 2613
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/23/2015 11:34:03 PM   
SoMnFan

Better tonight.
(couldn't be worse, I guess)
But there was some hope at least.
Post #: 2614
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/24/2015 7:19:55 AM   
stfrank

It looks like we have a goalie in Schierhorn. Kid played a great game last night and made some saves that reminded me of Wilcox when he was on his game. It seems tDon is still doing a lot of mixing and matching of lines, so hopefully once they settle in things will look better. Sure was nice to see them score a few and get a W on the board. Now they have something to build on. Let's hope they take another step forward and not back tonight.
Post #: 2615
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/24/2015 8:53:34 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Better tonight.
(couldn't be worse, I guess)
But there was some hope at least.

Agree but only in the first. Way too many penalties but it seems like we busted out to a 3-0 lead and then held on for dear life for 2 periods. Kinda disturbing.
Post #: 2616
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/24/2015 8:53:52 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

It looks like we have a goalie in Schierhorn. Kid played a great game last night and made some saves that reminded me of Wilcox when he was on his game. It seems tDon is still doing a lot of mixing and matching of lines, so hopefully once they settle in things will look better. Sure was nice to see them score a few and get a W on the board. Now they have something to build on. Let's hope they take another step forward and not back tonight.

He looked good, agree.
Post #: 2617
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/24/2015 8:58:25 PM   
SoMnFan

Another strong first.
Up 4-1.
Post #: 2618
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/24/2015 9:21:49 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I just noticed the Gophers (0-3) are ranked. Bemidji State, with a win over UMD and a tie with UND, is not ranked.

A rank beaver isn't a good thing... just sayin

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 2619
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/24/2015 9:46:50 PM   
SoMnFan

Bam!
Another comedian in here, too!
He's here all week folks! Try the veal!
Post #: 2620
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/24/2015 9:55:40 PM   
SoMnFan

Another night of early dominance, and late hanging on .....
Post #: 2621
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/24/2015 10:00:46 PM   
bstinger

quote:

A Minnesota tradition, we rarely "sweep the leg".

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 2622
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/24/2015 10:06:53 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

A Minnesota tradition, we rarely "sweep the leg".

Bud Grants worst trait.
He was a great coach and a better man, but he started that shit back when we had the kick-ass-iest ass-kickers in the league.
Too nice.
"we got enough, boys, now just hannnnnnnnnng on"

The dominant great teams? When they got you down by 3 TDs? They cut your throat by going up 4.
We SETTLE for FGs or field position.
Its been this way my whole life. Get up early on someone? Its NEVER over. Because of the mind set.
Start playing careful. Start playing PREVENT defense. Every sport we do it.
The only ones to ever step out of that mold?
The Gophers when they won NCAA hockey titles ..... and ...... The Lynx.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
Post #: 2623
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/24/2015 10:47:28 PM   
SoMnFan

4-3 final, btw ... wheee
Post #: 2624
RE: Gopher Hockey - 10/25/2015 7:07:58 AM   
stfrank

I missed last nights game, but it sounds like it was eerily similar to Friday night where they came out gangbusters and then held on for 2 periods. I love that they came out strong 2 nights in a row, but they need to learn to keep the foot on the gas like you guys have already said. Must be the difference between Minnesota nice and Eastern a-hole huh....
Post #: 2625
Page:   <<   < prev  103 104 [105] 106 107   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Hockey Page: <<   < prev  103 104 [105] 106 107   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode