Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  185 186 [187] 188 189   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 5/12/2014 3:12:21 PM   
Mr. Ed

Seth Kaplan @Seth_Kaplan
In criminal complaint, Nelson says he does not remember kicking Kolstad. Doesn't know man in red shirt who punched Kolstad either.

Nate Sandell @NSandell
Former Gophers QB Philip Nelson charged with first and third-degree assault. Scheduled to appear in court today around 3:30 pm

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4651
RE: Gopher Football - 5/12/2014 5:16:04 PM   
Jeff Jesser

MAN. What a damn shame. It doesn't sound good for the victim. I haven't read about it much today but it sounds like that kid is in serious trouble (life wise).
Post #: 4652
RE: Gopher Football - 5/12/2014 6:04:00 PM   
Lynn G.

Several lives destroyed (the victim plus the young people who engaged in such a barbaric act). How sad ... and what a waste. If you're hitting the bars at 2:00 in the morning you've got a pretty good shot at having something bad go down.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 4653
RE: Gopher Football - 5/12/2014 7:16:08 PM   
SoMnFan

Horrible story.
Know about, and have seen, both kids grow up.
Horrific that their lives are now intertwined this way.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4654
RE: Gopher Football - 5/12/2014 8:12:09 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Several lives destroyed (the victim plus the young people who engaged in such a barbaric act). How sad ... and what a waste. If you're hitting the bars at 2:00 in the morning you've got a pretty good shot at having something bad go down.

To top it off, Nelson only 20 and not at legal age to drink

Fargo
Post #: 4655
RE: Gopher Football - 5/12/2014 9:26:55 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Read the Strib article...and it made me shudder at reading Kolstad was out on the sucker punch and his head hit the pavement hard.

Then Nelson allegedly gave him a soccer ball kick to the head...

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4656
RE: Gopher Football - 5/12/2014 9:33:37 PM   
SoMnFan

Kolstad was a great athlete at East in Mankato.
4 years older than Nelson, who was a prodigy at West.
Not sure how much is being made of that.
I know there is some animosity at different times re: the two different schools.
Haven't heard if it existed here. Just so sad and ugly.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4657
RE: Gopher Football - 5/12/2014 9:44:48 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Kolstad was a great athlete at East in Mankato.
4 years older than Nelson, who was a prodigy at West.
Not sure how much is being made of that.
I know there is some animosity at different times re: the two different schools.
Haven't heard if it existed here. Just so sad and ugly.

Strib story says Nelson may have mistaken Kolstad for the bouncer who kissed his girlfriend's hand.

Imagine alcohol played a role. Not sure how big of one.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4658
RE: Gopher Football - 5/13/2014 8:42:13 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Read the Strib article...and it made me shudder at reading Kolstad was out on the sucker punch and his head hit the pavement hard.

Then Nelson allegedly gave him a soccer ball kick to the head...

Yeah, I read that too Ed. If true, that does not bode well for Nelson. To kick a man who's unconcious and has no defense is just unbelievable.
Post #: 4659
RE: Gopher Football - 5/13/2014 10:12:43 AM   
Jim Frenette

Nelson has been released from Rutgers football

Fargo
Post #: 4660
RE: Gopher Football - 5/13/2014 10:33:39 AM   
Lynn G.

Just such a sad story in every facet. I believe in the power of prayer so I'm sending mine to Isaac Kolstad and for all of the individuals involved.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 4661
RE: Gopher Football - 5/13/2014 12:09:06 PM   
TJSweens

The guy that punched Kolstad has been arrested. Looks like this started out a garden variety drunken encounter that went tragically out of control. At first I was under the impression that Nelson and the guy in the red shirt were the instigators, but the recordings show that the fight started when Kolstad punched Nelson in the back, which knocked him into another person and they both fell down. Kolstad was walking away when the guy in the red shirt broke from someone restraining him and punched Kolstad in the face. Then Nelson pushed through a crowd and kicked him in the head. I doubt Nelson had any idea of badly hurt he already was. Underaged drinking and stupidity are a dangerous mix.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4662
RE: Gopher Football - 5/13/2014 2:36:32 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Nelson's knowledge, non-knowledge may not matter. He bruatally kicked a defensless guy in the head. This is going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

the whole angle of "he didn't know" versus "spoiled rich kid football player".

You guys know how ppl are, there won't be much middle ground, no matter what.
Post #: 4663
RE: Gopher Football - 5/13/2014 3:21:31 PM   
TJSweens

I don't think his family's wealth or his being spoiled has anything to do with it. Stupidity and alcohol do. Someone (not Kolstad) was coming on to his girlfriend. He got pissed off, got knocked down and kicked a defenseless man. Just stupidity all around.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4664
RE: Gopher Football - 5/13/2014 3:53:00 PM   
Karl Juhnke

First degree felony assault is a pretty big deal.

quote:

In order to be charged with felony first-degree assault in Minnesota, one of the following must exist:

The assault created a high probability of death or caused serious permanent disfigurement or impairment; or

The assault was through the use or attempted use of deadly force on a peace officer or correctional employee if the officer or employee was fulfilling their employment duties.

If you have been arrested and charged with 1st degree felony assault in Minnesota, you may be facing up to 20 years in prison and a $30,000 fine.

I think a swift kick in the head of a defenseless guy on the ground certainly qualifies.
Post #: 4665
RE: Gopher Football - 5/13/2014 4:19:17 PM   
TJSweens

Given the police report, I would be surprised if the first degree charge holds up. If Kolstad survives, Nelson will probably plead out. The police report clearly establishes that Nelson was not the instigator and was himself struck and knocked down first. If I was a betting man, I would guess that he will plead guilty to the 3rd degree and testify against Shelly. The probability is that the punch thrown by Shelly and Kolstad's head hitting the street is what caused the injuries.

Post #: 4666
RE: Gopher Football - 5/13/2014 7:11:19 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I don't think his family's wealth or his being spoiled has anything to do with it. Stupidity and alcohol do. Someone (not Kolstad) was coming on to his girlfriend. He got pissed off, got knocked down and kicked a defenseless man. Just stupidity all around.

Im not saying that, just that it won't surprise me if that's the public mantra. Right or wrong these things get so polorizing.
Post #: 4667
RE: Gopher Football - 5/13/2014 7:13:40 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

Given the police report, I would be surprised if the first degree charge holds up. If Kolstad survives, Nelson will probably plead out. The police report clearly establishes that Nelson was not the instigator and was himself struck and knocked down first. If I was a betting man, I would guess that he will plead guilty to the 3rd degree and testify against Shelly. The probability is that the punch thrown by Shelly and Kolstad's head hitting the street is what caused the injuries.

The police report also said that Kolstad was walking away which means Nelson was not in grave danger. Add to the fact that the guy was on conciuos, by all accounts, and not moving, Nelson might be in bad trouble.

Granted, i have no idea here. Just speculating.
Post #: 4668
RE: Gopher Football - 5/13/2014 7:19:36 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

If he can testify, I heard he doesn't even remember kicking the kid

Fargo
Post #: 4669
RE: Gopher Football - 5/13/2014 7:21:44 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

The police report also said that Kolstad was walking away which means Nelson was not in grave danger. Add to the fact that the guy was on conciuos, by all accounts, and not moving, Nelson might be in bad trouble.

After the sucker punch, the kids head bounced off the sidewalk so that might be where the real damage came from. But doesn't give it the ok to kick him either

Fargo
Post #: 4670
RE: Gopher Football - 5/13/2014 8:36:56 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Jeff this all happened in a matter of seconds. Kolstad was also not some little punk that Nelson accosted on the street. He's a big dude and he punched Nelson when his back was turned. I gotta believe if someone sucker punched you and decked you from behind, you would get up and go after him. I sure as hell would. Nelson went after him, saw him on the ground and kicked him. I doubt he saw Kolstad get punched or had any idea how bad he was hurt. There were 3 blows exchanged in this fight in a few seconds and everyone of them by both sides was a cheap shot.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 5/13/2014 8:39:41 PM >

Post #: 4671
RE: Gopher Football - 5/13/2014 10:06:40 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Could be man. I would love to hear the lawyer guys opinion. It's not gonna be hard to make Nelson look like an aggressor.
Post #: 4672
RE: Gopher Football - 5/13/2014 10:57:10 PM   
TJSweens

I disagree. It's on camera that Nelson was on the receiving end of the first punch. This clearly establishes that he was not the instigator. Then you have to establish that Nelson's kick was the one that caused the life threatening injuries to Kolstad or that he knew how badly Kolstad was injured before delivering the kick. That's going to be hard to do since witnesses all said that the sucker punch thrown by Shelly knocked Kolstad out cold and that his head struck the ground so hard that one witness described it as "the sidewalk smoked his head" and Nelson pushed through the crowd after the punch.

Shelly is in much worse position. He intervened unprovoked into someone else's altercation and likely delivered the blow that caused the massive head trauma to Kolstad.

Whatever the case, the only thing that matters right now is that Kolstad survive his injuries.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 5/13/2014 10:58:18 PM >

Post #: 4673
RE: Gopher Football - 5/14/2014 8:06:45 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Agree whole heartedly on the last part.

I didn't say "instegator", I said "aggressor". Again, I'm no lawyer (and, in fact, haven't seen the video you speak of). I just find it a bit to believe that Nelson thought this guy was some sort of threat to him and his girl after he's laying on the ground unconcious. I would love to see the video (not to be gruesome) to see how long he was down before Nelson kicked him.

I've seen a lot of fights when I was in the Army. Anger gets the best out of guys. If Nelson kicked him right after his head hit, sure. I've got a feeling that the kid was out for a bit while Nelson ran up. I have no proof of that, mind you. Just a hunch based on the fights i've been in and seen.

Bottom line, as it's obvious we see this differently, we both are in agreement 100% on your last line.

Just awful all around.
Post #: 4674
RE: Gopher Football - 5/14/2014 8:56:33 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Agree whole heartedly on the last part.

I've got a feeling that the kid was out for a bit while Nelson ran up. I have no proof of that, mind you. Just a hunch based on the fights i've been in and seen.

I don't know why you are assuming that Jeff. The police said the whole incident was over in about 10 seconds.

Post #: 4675
Page:   <<   < prev  185 186 [187] 188 189   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  185 186 [187] 188 189   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode