Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  371 372 [373] 374 375   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 7/20/2018 1:51:50 PM   
twinsfan

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9301
RE: Gopher Football - 7/21/2018 10:09:19 AM   
McMurfy

They look Soft.
Western Michigan caliber.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 9302
RE: Gopher Football - 7/23/2018 10:12:58 AM   
SoMnFan

Didn't believe me, until the pic surfaced, eh?

Shoulda seen em standing in the water.
Looked like some National Geographic footage
Post #: 9303
RE: Gopher Football - 7/23/2018 12:22:02 PM   
SoMnFan

Row, row, rowwwwwwww, baby

11. Minnesota Golden Gophers

The Gophers probably will get younger this season, as P.J. Fleck wants to get an upgraded recruiting class into the mix sooner than later. Fleck is playing the long game at Minnesota, which was exposed for much of Big Ten play last fall. The Gophers need to build their passing game behind a yet-to-be-determined new quarterback (Tanner Morgan or Zack Annexstad) after finishing 121st nationally in pass offense last fall. Senior running back Rodney Smith is a reliable producer, and the defensive backfield should be a strength with Antoine Winfield Jr. returning from a hamstring issue. But Minnesota might be a year away from a substantial step forward.
Post #: 9304
RE: Gopher Football - 7/23/2018 12:23:21 PM   
SoMnFan

Nebraska was MISERABLE at times last year, and they are suddenly now many many levels above us, according to this ranking
How do we keep getting into these cycles of depressing ineptitude?

Wait, nevermind.
Post #: 9305
RE: Gopher Football - 7/23/2018 12:26:21 PM   
TJSweens

These preseason predictions are less than worthless. Other than Ohio State winning the Big Ten, they are pretty hit and miss.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 9306
RE: Gopher Football - 7/23/2018 12:57:22 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Kinda like our tackling...
Post #: 9307
RE: Gopher Football - 7/23/2018 1:05:01 PM   
Phil Riewer

This is why I am worried this year, biggest playmaking RB isn't on the field this year:

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/06/gophers-running-back-shannon-brooks-ruled-out-for-2018-season/

I like Smith but having both is what is needed. Defense will be good to very good again. We need a passing game to move up. I like the Oline they have assembled though.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 7/23/2018 1:19:59 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 9308
RE: Gopher Football - 7/23/2018 10:22:45 PM   
Mr. Ed

CHICAGO — Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck was nearly 55 minutes into his hour-long, question-and-answer session at Big Ten media days when he offered Monday’s biggest Minnesota-related news.
“Hopefully, we are able to use Shannon creatively for four games — possibly,” Fleck said from a podium inside the Chicago Marriott Downtown.

Before spring practice in March, Fleck revealed running back Shannon Brooks would miss the 2018 season with a leg injury. It was a blow for a Minnesota offense that was going to rely on the experience of Brooks and fellow running mate Rodney Smith as the U started fresh again with two new and raw quarterbacks competing for that starting job this fall.

Then in June, the NCAA Division I Council approved a rule allowing football players to compete in up to four games without losing a redshirt, or season of eligibility. Since Brooks played as a true freshman in 2015 and through 2017, his redshirt year remains intact.
During spring practice, Smith, a redshirt senior, lamented not being able to finish his Gophers career alongside Brooks. Now, the friends could play together again and help ease some of the pressure on incoming QBs Tanner Morgan and Zack Annexstad.
“Ever since I’ve been playing, he’s been playing, so it’s exciting to think that he could be out there with me,” Smith said Monday.
When Brooks could be available to play is based, first and foremost, on where he is in his rehab process. Then, there’s also the to-be-determined strategic element of when it would be most advantageous for Fleck to use him.
Do they try to spring Brooks on an unsuspecting opponent in, say, the Big Ten opener against Maryland on Sept. 22 or against rival Iowa on Oct. 6? Or do they need to wait until he’s 100 percent healthy later in the season? Maybe Brooks can help lead them to a sixth win and bowl eligibility after a year hiatus?
“If his rehab process goes as planned and he keeps progressing as quick as it is and he does play in those games, it would be an honor to step on the field with him again,” Smith said.

In the meantime, the workload falls on Smith and could be shared with a few promising prospects.
“(Smith is) going to look around him and see freshmen again,” Fleck said. “Nolan Edmonds, Bryce Williams, Mohamed Ibrahim. Those are all freshmen, so he’s really going to have to carry the load, but we also have to make sure we don’t run him into the ground.”
Based on Smith’s reviews of his backmates, that trio could help out sooner. Ibrahim redshirted last year and was named scout team player of the year. Edmonds and Williams are true freshmen and might have their redshirts removed entirely or could be used sparingly under the same four-game rule considered for Brooks.
“You need some others to help,” Fleck said. “What (Smith is) going to have to do is transition those guys into the role they are going to have.”
Smith has first-hand first impressions of Williams and Edmonds from summer workouts.
“Bryce is very athletically gifted,” Smith said. “He will be a monster one day, I believe. He is a beast.
“Nolan is very smart and will outwork anybody; that’s what I like about Nolan,” Smith added. “The freshmen have their regimen because they haven’t been working out how we (upperclassmen) work out, so they come in and their program is a little different, but he insists on staying in with the older guys and running extra.
“Mohamed has gotten a lot stronger and a lot faster this offseason, too,” Smith said. “I’m proud of the spring that he had.”
Even if none of the young running backs step up to spell Smith, you won’t find him stepping out of bounds to avoid contact. Unless it’s used to manage the clock, a runner willfully going out of bounds is against Minnesota’s unwritten rules.
“Running out of bounds is like stepping in pee,” Smith relayed with a smile.
QB COMPETITION
Fleck said sophomore quarterback Vic Viramontes transferred away from Minnesota in May after one semester because he found himself third in the competition with Morgan and Annextsad after spring practice finished in mid-April.

“You are going to start to see competition across multiple positions, and when you start to see, ‘That guy is ahead of me, that guy is ahead of me,’ people are going to leave, and I think that is OK,” Fleck said. “I encourage that, if that is something where you don’t want to compete in that part, then I encourage you to go find a place where you can go play and compete. I am very honest with our players: ‘Here is where you are and this is where you are going to be.’ ”
Similar to last year with the way Fleck handled dueling inexperienced quarterbacks Demry Croft and Conor Rhoda, he again envisions a scenario where he plays both Annexstad, a true freshman, and Morgan, a redshirt freshman, this season. They need experience before anything else, he said.
Plus, the new redshirt rule can help Annexstad get on the field for some playing time while still maintaining four more years of eligibility. “I can protect Zack’s (redshirt) if he doesn’t win it,” Fleck said. “They are going to have to win the team. Whoever wins the team is going to play the most.”

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9309
RE: Gopher Football - 7/23/2018 10:24:37 PM   
Mr. Ed

The Gophers football program was picked to finish sixth in the seven-team Big Ten West division this season, according to Cleveland.com’s annual preseason poll released Friday.
Twenty-eight reporters who cover the conference projected Wisconsin to win the West with 196 points, which were allotted based on finish. Iowa came in second with 155, followed by Northwestern at 138, Nebraska at 104, Purdue at 98.5, Minnesota at 64.5 and Illinois at 28.

Every voter picked Wisconsin to win the West and Illinois to come in last.

Ohio State was picked to win the East — and the Big Ten championship game — with 191.5 points, followed by Michigan State at 142, Penn State at 141.5, Michigan at 140.5, Maryland at 75.5, Indiana at 60 and Rutgers at 33.

Ohio State received 23 1/2 first-place votes in the East, Michigan State two, Michigan 1.5 and Penn State one.
Penn State quarterback Trace McSorley is the Big Ten preseason offensive player of the year, according to the writers. Wisconsin running back Jonathan Taylor finished a close second.
Ohio State defensive end Nick Bosa was the runaway selection to be Big Ten preseason defensive player of the year.
No Gophers received votes for either offensive or defensive player of the year.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9310
RE: Gopher Football - 7/23/2018 10:26:28 PM   
Mr. Ed

Ohio State wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator Zach Smith was fired on Monday, three days after he was the subject of a civil protection order filed by his ex-wife Courtney Smith.
According to Brett McMurphy, the protection order and a subsequent criminal trespassing charge were filed after the former Buckeyes assistant dropped their son off at his ex-wife's house, and not a pre-determined public place -- a violation of another criminal trespass charge. Multiple domestic violence and battery charges in Smith's past led to the need for Zach Smith to meet Courtney Smith in public.

McMurphy reports that Smith has two domestic violence incidents on his record that led to the the couple's split in 2016. In 2009 while a member of Urban Meyer's staff at Florida, Zach Smith was arrested for aggravated battery of Courtney Smith, who was 8-10 weeks pregnant, on the couple's one-year wedding anniversary. No charges were filed in that incident.
In October 2015 while on Meyer's staff at Ohio State, Zach Smith was arrested for felonious assault and domestic violence against Courtney Smith. The 2015 case remains open.
Ohio State announced Monday that no replacement for Smith has been named, and any coaching staff adjustments will be announced at a later date.
Smith -- a 2007 graduate of Florida -- spent 11 total seasons on Meyer's staff at Florida and Ohio State. He served as the wide receivers coach since Meyer's arrival in Columbus in 2012, and added the title of recruiting coordinator prior to the 2015 season. From 2005-09 at Florida, Smith served as a graduate assistant and quality control assistant.
Meyer is slated to speak to the media Tuesday morning at Big Ten Media Days.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9311
RE: Gopher Football - 7/24/2018 8:55:59 AM   
Phil Riewer

Brooks being able to play 4 games and still have a year of eligibility would really help.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 9312
RE: Gopher Football - 7/24/2018 9:08:36 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Nebraska was MISERABLE at times last year, and they are suddenly now many many levels above us, according to this ranking

Wait, nevermind.

Frost instead of Riley.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 9313
RE: Gopher Football - 7/24/2018 9:56:45 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

The Gophers probably will get younger this season, as P.J. Fleck wants to get an upgraded recruiting class into the mix sooner than later. Fleck is playing the long game at Minnesota, which was exposed for much of Big Ten play last fall. The Gophers need to build their passing game behind a yet-to-be-determined new quarterback (Tanner Morgan or Zack Annexstad) after finishing 121st nationally in pass offense last fall. Senior running back Rodney Smith is a reliable producer, and the defensive backfield should be a strength with Antoine Winfield Jr. returning from a hamstring issue. But Minnesota might be a year away from a substantial step forward.

Is 11 the ranking of the gophers in the big 10? This is just goofy, but how many teams are in the Big10?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9314
RE: Gopher Football - 7/24/2018 12:53:05 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Is 11 the ranking of the gophers in the big 10? This is just goofy, but how many teams are in the Big10?

Where you been? Under a rock? 14.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9315
RE: Gopher Football - 7/26/2018 4:59:28 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

Wait, nevermind.

Frost instead of Riley.

Will Frost be calling the plays or will Chip Kelly still need to do that for him?

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 9316
RE: Gopher Football - 7/26/2018 6:27:35 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Something like that. I do consider it ridiculous that a conference with 14 teams is called the Big10.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9317
RE: Gopher Football - 7/30/2018 7:53:46 PM   
Mr. Ed

The Gophers football program received an oral commitment Monday from Peter Uboibok, a 6-foot-4 receiver from Cretin-Derham Hall, he announced on Twitter.
“I’m staying home,” Uboibok wrote. “I’m excited to say that I’m furthering my education and football career at The University of Minnesota. #gogophers”

Uboibok is ranked the sixth-best player in the state of Minnesota in the class of 2019. He is the 22nd player in the Gophers’ class for next year and had offers from Air Force, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Wyoming, among others, among others, according to 247sports.com.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9318
RE: Gopher Football - 7/30/2018 10:35:34 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Something like that. I do consider it ridiculous that a conference with 14 teams is called the Big10.

The world is full of shit that used to be considered ridiculous, just a fact of life now.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 9319
RE: Gopher Football - 7/30/2018 10:37:31 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

The Gophers football program received an oral commitment Monday from Peter Uboibok, a 6-foot-4 receiver from Cretin-Derham Hall, he announced on Twitter.
“I’m staying home,” Uboibok wrote. “I’m excited to say that I’m furthering my education and football career at The University of Minnesota. #gogophers”

Uboibok is ranked the sixth-best player in the state of Minnesota in the class of 2019. He is the 22nd player in the Gophers’ class for next year and had offers from Air Force, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Wyoming, among others, among others, according to 247sports.com.

I have no idea how good this kid is, but... it's about time some MN kids take a little pride in playing for their home state. I hope it starts a trend in FB and other sports. If most of the top ones stayed it would help us compete.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 9320
RE: Gopher Football - 7/31/2018 6:49:24 AM   
TJSweens

He's a Cretin-Derham Hall kid. I can only surmise that Notre Dame didn't recruit him. That's where everyone from CDH tends to go.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 9321
RE: Gopher Football - 7/31/2018 4:48:19 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

I have no idea how good this kid is, but... it's about time some MN kids take a little pride in playing for their home state. I hope it starts a trend in FB and other sports. If most of the top ones stayed it would help us compete.

I remember Lou Holtz main recruiting goal was to sign our best homegrown players first.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 9322
RE: Gopher Football - 8/2/2018 9:40:00 AM   
TJSweens

Fleck just snagged a 296 lb. O- lineman from Wisconsin. It's always to nice to see that go the other way.

Post #: 9323
RE: Gopher Football - 8/2/2018 10:06:40 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Fleck just snagged a 296 lb. O- lineman from Wisconsin. It's always to nice to see that go the other way.

Rare, I would guess, in the last xx years

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9324
RE: Gopher Football - 8/2/2018 10:10:17 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Rare, I would guess, in the last xx years

It used to burn my ass when year after year, Alverez would steal our best players. The Packers don't bother me that much, but I hate UW athletics like few other things in life.

Post #: 9325
Page:   <<   < prev  371 372 [373] 374 375   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  371 372 [373] 374 375   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode