Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  374 375 [376] 377 378   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 9:26:56 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

Prices need to start coming down.

Kids need to quit playing video games, watching Netflix and posting on InstaFace.

Yeah, I would agree with that.

SnapGram and InstaChat

I don't know how the heck they can constantly be on some chat room / chat board, typing and sending messages...…..

You should try to get 30 of them to focus on one thing for two hours once.
Its a blast.

I bet. At least they probably don't skate around with the phone in their gear. Not sure in hockey where that would go.

Such an involuntary reaction now. The kids come out of school, after practice, I'd say over 90% of them are looking at their phones.

And they're not alone. Most of their parents are too.

I don't do those 2 apps. Ex-wife does snapchat to loosely monitor content, and that's good.

My phone is old, and eats battery life like candy, so I use it for texts and calls.

Chiropractors are making $$ with all the neck issues.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9376
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 9:27:42 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kids need to quit playing video games, watching Netflix and posting on InstaFace.

SnapGram and InstaChat

I don't know how the heck they can constantly be on some chat room / chat board, typing and sending messages...…..

It has resulted in them having no interest in anything else. Sports included. Sad.

Not all of them, thankfully

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9377
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 9:31:15 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SnapGram and InstaChat

Its a blast.

I bet. At least they probably don't skate around with the phone in their gear. Not sure in hockey where that would go.

Such an involuntary reaction now. The kids come out of school, after practice, I'd say over 90% of them are looking at their phones.

I don't do those 2 apps. Ex-wife does snapchat to loosely monitor content, and that's good.

My phone is old, and eats battery life like candy, so I use it for texts and calls.

Been coaching for 30 years
The most embarrassing moment of those 30 years?
Three years ago, heat of the moment, watching the action in front of the net, one of our guys gets checked, loses his balance, lurches forward, and "something" falls out of his gear and on to the ice. Action reverses to other end, ref skates thru and hands us the object.
Yup. Cell phone.
Took me several minutes to even speak. Literally speechless for minutes. Still bothers me. We finally are to the point where we joke about it now.
Post #: 9378
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 9:33:35 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SnapGram and InstaChat

It has resulted in them having no interest in anything else. Sports included. Sad.

Not all of them, thankfully

Amen brother
Unfortunately, we seem to be going back to the "damn, he's good, I'm just happy to be next to him and watch" syndrome.
The top-end guys are crazy good, We have a handful that are as skilled as any we have ever had, but the number of "I'm just here for the sammmiches" guys is growing every year.
The opposite of why I started. I'd much rather have 30 grinders to work with than 5 stars and 25 robots. (at this level)
Post #: 9379
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 9:34:32 AM   
twinsfan

9-4 overall, 5-4 B1G, an upset win vs Washington St in a bowl game. That's a good year.

2014 under Kill was also an exciting year. 8-5 overall, 5-3 B1G, one win away from playing in the B1G championship game (we were screwed by the refs in the Wisconsin game). Unfortunately we had a disappointing loss to Missouri in the bowl game. Otherwise, that was a really fun season.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9380
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 9:35:56 AM   
SoMnFan

You missed a butterfly, Matt .... stay after it!
Post #: 9381
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 9:38:16 AM   
twinsfan

And it's not just that they are losing interest in PLAYING sports. They are apparently not interested in being fans either.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9382
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 9:39:22 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SnapGram and InstaChat

Its a blast.

Been coaching for 30 years
The most embarrassing moment of those 30 years?
Three years ago, heat of the moment, watching the action in front of the net, one of our guys gets checked, loses his balance, lurches forward, and "something" falls out of his gear and on to the ice. Action reverses to other end, ref skates thru and hands us the object.
Yup. Cell phone.
Took me several minutes to even speak. Literally speechless for minutes. Still bothers me. We finally are to the point where we joke about it now.

Wow

Wish the phone would have gotten skated over and sliced. That would have been the spectacle.

Or someone hit it w/the stick and send it splattering off the "glass" or boards.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9383
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 9:43:01 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

And it's not just that they are losing interest in PLAYING sports. They are apparently not interested in being fans either.

Again, not everyone, thankfully

To some extent, SOME video games actually foster more fandom from SOME kids than if not.

William is a massive NBA fan. I have no doubt 2K NBA games have helped. He knows way more about the players than me.

And Madden? Same deal.

He's also, thanks to their rosters and older players, asked me many more ? about guys from the past that he never saw play.
So we talk about them, then he goes and finds vids.

WHich is why he is one of the few kids in his grade that believes MJ is still the GOAT.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9384
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 9:44:39 AM   
Mr. Ed

Baseball is losing the youth

I have no doubt

Kids like going to ONE game

and that's it

Why?

Because it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGG and BORING

Doesn't help that the Twins played like crap Sunday.
Both said the huge win last year was much more enjoyable. Had a football-like score last year.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9385
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 9:48:29 AM   
SoMnFan

Being GOOD in this version of the bullshit Big Ten, isn't the goal imo.
The greatest thing about college football that I've always railed against is ... EVERY game is the season. EVERY play is the most important play. Because of how things are set up.
You're not, or you shouldn't be ... playing to be in the top of your conference or some other bogus goal.
The only goal of the good teams should be to win it ALL
The new we-don't-punt fad should be the norm in CFB. Each series should be played like it's your last. Once you get behind, you should be all-out from that point forward.
Punting from anywhere on the field once you are down a couple scores in CFB makes ZERO sense in the big picture. You HAVE to win.
Jockeying for playoff position isn't a thing in CFB, for 98% of the teams. Everyone should be balls-out, no-hold-barred from start to finish of the year.
But no one sees it that way. Except me. Recurring theme, I get it.
Post #: 9386
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 9:49:36 AM   
twinsfan

I shouldn't blast too much on video games. I grew up on sports video games. Tecmo Super Bowl and Madden to an extent. Even though I was never an NHL fan, the Sega Genesis hockey games (NHL 92, 93, 94 and 95) made me an expert on the roster of practically every team. I could tell you the 3rd line left winger of most teams back in those days (at least according to the game). Over the last 15 years it's been interesting hearing the names of guys that retired and I'm like "Hey, he was in NHL '95!" I think we must be down to just a few players left, if any, from those games. Is Jagr still active? Kariya? Geoff Sanderson?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9387
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 9:51:20 AM   
twinsfan

Jeff O'Neill?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9388
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 9:59:57 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Being GOOD in this version of the bullshit Big Ten, isn't the goal imo.
The greatest thing about college football that I've always railed against is ... EVERY game is the season. EVERY play is the most important play. Because of how things are set up.
You're not, or you shouldn't be ... playing to be in the top of your conference or some other bogus goal.
The only goal of the good teams should be to win it ALL
The new we-don't-punt fad should be the norm in CFB. Each series should be played like it's your last. Once you get behind, you should be all-out from that point forward.
Punting from anywhere on the field once you are down a couple scores in CFB makes ZERO sense in the big picture. You HAVE to win.
Jockeying for playoff position isn't a thing in CFB, for 98% of the teams. Everyone should be balls-out, no-hold-barred from start to finish of the year.
But no one sees it that way. Except me. Recurring theme, I get it.

I would rather they keep themselves in the game for the 2nd half rather than turn the ball over on a fruitless 4th and 8 attempt from your own 20-yard line in the 1st quarter, putting you down 17-0 right away. That's not fair to the fans that do show up to see a competitive 60 (or at least 45) minutes of play.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9389
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 10:26:01 AM   
SoMnFan

Hope we get 6th in the B10 West!!!!
Soooo much better than 7th in the B10 West !!!!!!!
Wheeeeee!
Post #: 9390
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 10:49:22 AM   
twinsfan

I just looked at the Gophers schedule. I don't see more than 3 losses.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9391
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 11:08:18 AM   
SoMnFan

All this said

We're 0-0
I'm hoping for that miracle season
I'm expecting another Ground Hog Day

Can't wait to see the new QB
Hoping our D is as good as advertised.
Post #: 9392
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 11:10:45 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Are you serious? That would be cool. Regarding punting it has a place in the game, but statistical analysis shows that teams punt far more often than they should.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9393
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 11:14:49 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Are you serious? That would be cool. Regarding punting it has a place in the game, but statistical analysis shows that teams punt far more often than they should.

At Ohio State
At Nebraska
At Wisconsin

And even one of those may be winnable.

Say we only lose 2 of those, then I guess we could lose at TCF to Northwestern.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9394
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 11:44:08 AM   
Phil Riewer

Say what you want about Clayes and Kill---they never figured out the QB position.
The new kid looks and acts the part of someone that can lead the team.
Same thing as NCAA BBall.....best PG always seem to win the Chips. Best QBs are generally on the best teams. Who was our QB last year? Leidner was it before that...he was so hard to watch.
I am excited to see what the new kid has.

When PJ Fleck had the Western Michigan dynamo he had maybe one of the top 2-3 QB/WR combos in the nation.....Johnson is a damn good WR too.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 8/30/2018 11:47:23 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 9395
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 11:57:37 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Say what you want about Clayes and Kill---they never figured out the QB position.
The new kid looks and acts the part of someone that can lead the team.
Same thing as NCAA BBall.....best PG always seem to win the Chips. Best QBs are generally on the best teams. Who was our QB last year? Leidner was it before that...he was so hard to watch.
I am excited to see what the new kid has.

When PJ Fleck had the Western Michigan dynamo he had maybe one of the top 2-3 QB/WR combos in the nation.....Johnson is a damn good WR too.

It's mostly gonna be the Rodney Smith show. I'm not sure Ax will have the weapons at receiver and tight end to really excel this season. It's gonna have to be a ground game in the B1G this year. Next year, bring in some more talent out wide, and we'll see what the kid can really do. Maybe with this horrible NMSU defense it will be our best opportunity to see the potential the Ax has.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9396
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 11:58:59 AM   
SoMnFan

OMG ... he's using cute nicknames already ....
Post #: 9397
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 12:03:01 PM   
bstinger

How/when do most kids get interested in sports? When their parents take them to games. If families can't afford to take kids to games they don't develop and interest. If they don't develop the interest young, it's unlikely to form later, especially when they have to shell out there own cash.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 9398
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 12:14:18 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Just wait til Ax leads us to the Axe.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 9399
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 12:29:50 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Just wait til Ax leads us to the Axe.

Prediction for the season?

I'll say 9-3.

We end up in a bowl game that's a little too good for us (our good record is in large part due to an easy schedule).

End the season 9-4 after we get destroyed by a superior opponent in a decent bowl game.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9400
Page:   <<   < prev  374 375 [376] 377 378   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  374 375 [376] 377 378   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode