Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  375 376 [377] 378 379   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 12:35:38 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

How/when do most kids get interested in sports? When their parents take them to games. If families can't afford to take kids to games they don't develop and interest. If they don't develop the interest young, it's unlikely to form later, especially when they have to shell out there own cash.

I'm not buying that kids get interested in sports by attending live games.

Growing up 7-8 hours from the Twin Cities, I never went to a Vikings game. I never went to a Wolves game. I never went to a Gophers hoops, football or hockey game. I went to Twins games maybe once per year around the State Fair. And honestly I thought they were a little boring until I was maybe 13. But I was wayyyy into being a sports fan long before the age of 13. I lived and died with NCAA hoops on Big Monday on ESPN. I participated (and ran) the lawyer/accountant office football pick pool back when that was an up-and-coming thing. I built a paper-mache Pooh Richardson statue for art class. I listened to the Twins on the radio while playing catch with my dad or hitting tennis balls against the garage. Attending games had absolutely no impact on my sports fandom growing up. Maybe it's different for city-folk? I don't know. I had to play with the hand I was dealt, and that did not include any big-time professional or college sports teams in my area. And I'm THANKFUL I didn't attend the one local big-time sports team that was available to me....UND hockey. Disgusting fan base. Anyway, I'm off-topic now. Pay attention to the rest of my post. Thanks.

< Message edited by twinsfan -- 8/30/2018 12:38:01 PM >

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9401
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 12:49:04 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

OMG ... he's using cute nicknames already ....

Just wait til Ax leads us to the Axe.

Prediction for the season?

I'll say 9-3.

We end up in a bowl game that's a little too good for us (our good record is in large part due to an easy schedule).

End the season 9-4 after we get destroyed by a superior opponent in a decent bowl game.

Wheeeeeee!
Post #: 9402
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 12:57:46 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

OMG ... he's using cute nicknames already ....

Just wait til Ax leads us to the Axe.

Prediction for the season?

I'll say 9-3.

We end up in a bowl game that's a little too good for us (our good record is in large part due to an easy schedule).

End the season 9-4 after we get destroyed by a superior opponent in a decent bowl game.

Wheeeeeee!

What's your prediction?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9403
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 1:01:34 PM   
SoMnFan

PAINNNNNNNNNNNN

Someone explain to Matt where that comes from ...
Post #: 9404
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 1:19:57 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

How/when do most kids get interested in sports? When their parents take them to games. If families can't afford to take kids to games they don't develop and interest. If they don't develop the interest young, it's unlikely to form later, especially when they have to shell out there own cash.

Growing up 7-8 hours from the Twin Cities, I never went to a Vikings game. I never went to a Wolves game. I never went to a Gophers hoops, football or hockey game. I went to Twins games maybe once per year around the State Fair. And honestly I thought they were a little boring until I was maybe 13. But I was wayyyy into being a sports fan long before the age of 13. I lived and died with NCAA hoops on Big Monday on ESPN. I participated (and ran) the lawyer/accountant office football pick pool back when that was an up-and-coming thing. I built a paper-mache Pooh Richardson statue for art class. I listened to the Twins on the radio while playing catch with my dad or hitting tennis balls against the garage. Attending games had absolutely no impact on my sports fandom growing up. Maybe it's different for city-folk? I don't know. I had to play with the hand I was dealt, and that did not include any big-time professional or college sports teams in my area. And I'm THANKFUL I didn't attend the one local big-time sports team that was available to me....UND hockey. Disgusting fan base. Anyway, I'm off-topic now. Pay attention to the rest of my post. Thanks.

All that proves is that you're different from everyone else, which we already knew...

You're right, it's not the only reason, but I'm going to bitch about ticket prices anyway so I thought I'd use it as a reason. Watching sports on TV was also a big draw and playing with my Dad and brother in the yard got me going early on.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 9405
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 1:35:33 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

What's your prediction?

That after every loss Ed and SMF will join in a chorus of "Row the boat ... wheeeeeeee!"

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 9406
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 1:36:56 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

All that proves is that you're different from everyone else, which we already knew...

You're right, it's not the only reason, but I'm going to bitch about ticket prices anyway so I thought I'd use it as a reason. Watching sports on TV was also a big draw and playing with my Dad and brother in the yard got me going early on.

I guess I'll allow us to both be right.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9407
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 1:38:06 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Was this a pretty good post by me at least?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9408
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 1:38:28 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

What's your prediction?

That after every loss Ed and SMF will join in a chorus of "Row the boat ... wheeeeeeee!"

Won't be often then.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9409
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 1:45:07 PM   
Mr. Ed

PAIN

Good one

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9410
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 2:08:32 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Was this a pretty good post by me at least?

Top 17?

--twinsfan
Post #: 9411
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 2:09:14 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

--twinsfan
Post #: 9412
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 2:09:34 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Top 2 post.

--twinsfan
Post #: 9413
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 3:26:27 PM   
twinsfan

I'm the only one brave enough to make a prediction?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9414
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 6:45:39 PM   
stfrank

Same old Gophers.....questionable offense and terrible defense to start the game.
Post #: 9415
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 7:20:14 PM   
twinsfan

Leah Remini doing sideline reporting tonight. I like it. I like it a lot!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9416
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 7:21:00 PM   
twinsfan

This play-by-play team could use some polishing. Dull!!!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9417
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 7:22:09 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Anexnexstad has looked fine. Just hasn't gotten a lot of help, especially in the early going. For once, Fleck's hype seems accurate. He doesn't look like a freshman. Poised and accurate.
Post #: 9418
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 7:24:29 PM   
Karl Juhnke

The direct snap to TE juggernaut goal line offense. Love it.
Post #: 9419
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 7:34:15 PM   
twinsfan

We're not that bad, we're not that good, we're a little of both I'd say. It's not like we're Division 3, more like DI-A.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9420
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 7:41:03 PM   
twinsfan

Rodney Smith and Gopher blocking unstoppable? Or NMSU defense with the resistance of jello?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9421
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 7:49:58 PM   
twinsfan

The Ax looked good. Better than Leidner ever looked. Ever!!!!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9422
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 7:51:38 PM   
twinsfan

Fleck grades the Gophers with a D+ in the 1st half. I'm pleased to hear he demands more!!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9423
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 8:09:51 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

Fleck grades the Gophers with a D+ in the 1st half. I'm pleased to hear he demands more!!

I can see why he'd say that, given the shaky start. But they're rolling now... As they should be vs a shitty team.
Post #: 9424
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2018 8:12:58 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Winfield's return, though it should be taken with a grain of salt because it was some piss poor attempts at tackling was still one on the most dynamic returns I've ever seen.
Post #: 9425
Page:   <<   < prev  375 376 [377] 378 379   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  375 376 [377] 378 379   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode