Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  398 399 [400] 401 402   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 11/26/2018 10:37:38 AM   
SoMnFan

IF we continue to improve
IF the Nebraska rise continues
and many more IFs ....
This Western division of the B10 could be one hell of a fun deal in a couple years.
A real dogfight.
Post #: 9976
RE: Gopher Football - 11/26/2018 11:06:27 AM   
TJSweens

The frustration that undermines the Axe and a bowl game is the fact that if these defensive issues had been cleaned up in the beginning, the Gophers could easily have 8-9 wins and a much better bowl game.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 9977
RE: Gopher Football - 11/26/2018 11:55:28 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The frustration that undermines the Axe and a bowl game is the fact that if these defensive issues had been cleaned up in the beginning, the Gophers could easily have 8-9 wins and a much better bowl game.

I like the idea of being in a bowl game we can actually win.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9978
RE: Gopher Football - 11/26/2018 12:13:53 PM   
TJSweens

I like the idea of the program pushing itself to the highest level it can achieve every year.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 9979
RE: Gopher Football - 11/26/2018 12:37:41 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

I like the idea of the program pushing itself to the highest level it can achieve every year.

What year did you move to Minnesota?
Post #: 9980
RE: Gopher Football - 11/26/2018 12:45:44 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

What year did you move to Minnesota?

I said I like the idea. I didn't say that I expect it to happen.

Post #: 9981
RE: Gopher Football - 11/28/2018 11:29:30 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

Actually as young as they are, I honestly thought the ceiling this year was 6-6 and a little bowl berth. That's right where they ended up.

But Fleck is still accountable. It's on Fleck that they did this great purge. They didn't 'Have' to go this young. He didn't inherit a bare cupboard. He inherited a 9 win team with a bowl win.

I can see why a new coach does it. Loading up the team with a bunch of freshmen serves two purposes. It gets 'His' players on the team quicker and lets him start molding it his way. And it also gives him a built in 2 year excuse. Gives him a two year pass to have shitty records.

They'll never call it an excuse. In true coach speak they'll emphatically deny it's an excuse...meanwhile pointing out every chance they get how young the team is.
Post #: 9982
RE: Gopher Football - 11/28/2018 11:42:20 AM   
SoMnFan

Well written Karl
I had started that thought process the other day, and gave up.
I was thinking after the Washington State win ... the things you just said
No reason to blow that team up, esp the D
Post #: 9983
RE: Gopher Football - 11/28/2018 12:00:59 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

Actually as young as they are, I honestly thought the ceiling this year was 6-6 and a little bowl berth. That's right where they ended up.

But Fleck is still accountable. It's on Fleck that they did this great purge. They didn't 'Have' to go this young. He didn't inherit a bare cupboard. He inherited a 9 win team with a bowl win.

I can see why a new coach does it. Loading up the team with a bunch of freshmen serves two purposes. It gets 'His' players on the team quicker and lets him start molding it his way. And it also gives him a built in 2 year excuse. Gives him a two year pass to have shitty records.

They'll never call it an excuse. In true coach speak they'll emphatically deny it's an excuse...meanwhile pointing out every chance they get how young the team is.

Let's be clear. The team Fleck inherited was not going to win 9 games again, no matter who coached it. They graduated good players, others transferred when Claeys was fired and other than RB, the cupboard was pretty bare.

I disagree with the notion that Fleck played freshmen to build in 2 years of excuses. Coaches try to take advantage of the honeymoon phase to redshirt as many players as possible. Fleck was playing freshmen and sophmores because that is the bulk of his roster and the upper classmen on his roster weren't very good.

Like I said, where Fleck is rippable is that he waited too long to address the defensive problems. The performance of this team after he changed DC's and simplified the scheme underscored the winnable games they tossed away earlier in the year. The talent on this team may be young, but with proper coaching on the defensive side of the ball, they could have been a lot more competitive than they were.

This team had the talent to be more. The fact that they weren't is on Fleck.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 11/28/2018 12:03:14 PM >

Post #: 9984
RE: Gopher Football - 11/28/2018 12:55:37 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

They didn't 'Have' to go this young. He didn't inherit a bare cupboard. He inherited a 9 win team with a bowl win.

Most importantly, he inherited a Mitch Leidner graduation.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9985
RE: Gopher Football - 11/28/2018 12:59:52 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

They didn't 'Have' to go this young. He didn't inherit a bare cupboard. He inherited a 9 win team with a bowl win.

Most importantly, he inherited a Mitch Leidner graduation.

No, Connor Rhoda and Demery Croft ably demonstrated that there is even worse than Mitch Leidner.

Post #: 9986
RE: Gopher Football - 11/28/2018 1:46:53 PM   
twinsfan

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9987
RE: Gopher Football - 11/28/2018 2:01:23 PM   
Karl Juhnke

The youth question aside, you are right that the defensive problem should have and could have been solved sooner than it was. The big plays they were giving up were ridiculous. A runner would break one tackle and suddenly, 60 yards of open field in front of him. And it happened again and again. That's coaching.

Once they changed DCs the problem went away. Better late than never, and really an 8-4 bowl would serve about the same purpose as a 6-6 one for this year. So I'm not too concerned about the missed opportunity. Just glad they did finally address it. And new DC seems to be popular with the players, so that sounds good.
Post #: 9988
RE: Gopher Football - 11/28/2018 2:22:41 PM   
TJSweens

They serve the same purpose, but not in equal measure. It gives them that coveted extra month of practice and any bowl participation helps recruiting. With that said, an 8-4 bowl game has more name recognition and a bigger stage. It looks more impressive to recruits than a 6-6 bowl appearance. It also looks more impressive to the alumni, who they hope will contribute more money.

I'm not saying the season a failure by any means. I'm just saying it could have been better. Fleck may become a better coach out of this as well. Who knows?

Post #: 9989
RE: Gopher Football - 11/29/2018 6:56:01 AM   
TJSweens

Tyler Johnson selected first team All Big Ten. Way to go kid.

Post #: 9990
RE: Gopher Football - 11/29/2018 7:21:30 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Last time we had that thing, he was a kid.
Post #: 9991
RE: Gopher Football - 11/29/2018 7:24:12 AM   
SoMnFan

Gotta love how we are acting like taking a traveling trophy back from a football program that shouldn't be any better than us, but has been ... for a hundred years, is some monumental accomplishment.
We get it.
We finally got it.
Get over it.
Quit acting like its a miracle and make it happen consistently.
This is starting to get embarrassing, and it will be even worse when its brought up at every rubber chicken meeting from now until next Fall.
Post #: 9992
RE: Gopher Football - 11/29/2018 7:25:24 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Tyler Johnson selected first team All Big Ten. Way to go kid.

Helluva player
Should be a solid Sunday player at some point. (and Monday and Thursday...)
Post #: 9993
RE: Gopher Football - 11/29/2018 7:30:20 AM   
Phil Riewer

I have seen 2 quarterbacks and a group of WRs that belong in the Big10....that wasn't something that I saw much in Kill and Claeys. Hard to win many big games with the QBs they recruited.....I saw more in the first game from Morgan that I ever say from Leidner for passing ability.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 11/29/2018 7:31:54 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 9994
RE: Gopher Football - 11/29/2018 7:38:58 AM   
SoMnFan

I heard the entire OLine made HM?
Even our local hero.
How is that possible? The whole line? What? Gotta check into this.
Post #: 9995
RE: Gopher Football - 11/29/2018 1:07:23 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Gotta love how we are acting like taking a traveling trophy back from a football program that shouldn't be any better than us, but has been ... for a hundred years, is some monumental accomplishment.
We get it.
We finally got it.
Get over it.
Quit acting like its a miracle and make it happen consistently.
This is starting to get embarrassing, and it will be even worse when its brought up at every rubber chicken meeting from now until next Fall.

Seriously, I'm ready to take an oar and go full on seal beating on you.

Post #: 9996
RE: Gopher Football - 11/29/2018 1:15:04 PM   
SoMnFan

that took longer than I thought it would.
Post #: 9997
RE: Gopher Football - 12/2/2018 3:56:00 PM   
Mr. Ed

Detroit

Quick Lane Bowl

Georgia Tech

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9998
RE: Gopher Football - 12/2/2018 6:43:17 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Detroit.......The 'toilet bowl' jokes are endless.
Post #: 9999
RE: Gopher Football - 12/2/2018 8:44:21 PM   
bstinger

Sucky bowl, but better than no bowl. Take the next step next year and thereafter. 8-4, 10-2, then 12-0 and National Champs!

We're going to need a row the boat icon if that happens!

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 10000
Page:   <<   < prev  398 399 [400] 401 402   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  398 399 [400] 401 402   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode