Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  422 423 [424] 425 426   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 10/21/2019 8:11:01 AM   
SoMnFan

Really liking whats happening here
Thought our Illini and Purdue wins were nothing
They may have been something
Good job of not playing down, eventually.
The holder stuff was cool, but lets get that out of the way now.
Interesting final part of the season coming up
VERY interesting.
Legit opportunities for this team ahead. Plays out perfectly, if you don't mess it up fellas.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 10576
RE: Gopher Football - 10/21/2019 8:25:43 AM   
Lynn G.

How many times in recent years have we had to hold our breath to see if we would be bowl eligible? Needed a last-game-of-the-season win to sneak in?

We're already bowl eligible and things are looking kind of peachy. As a lifelong Minnesota sports fan - you never say anything more definitive than that.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 10577
RE: Gopher Football - 10/21/2019 8:47:48 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Why is Rutgers in the B10?

We have enough door mats in this conference.

17th straight B10 loss for Rutgers.

Empty stadium.

NY TV audience I think was the goal.

And it wasn't so much the audience. The B10 knew nobody would actually watch a Rutgers football or basketball game. But it forced the cable and satellite companies to pay the rights for the B10 Network on its New York and other northeast packages.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10578
RE: Gopher Football - 10/21/2019 8:53:40 AM   
TJSweens

My main worry right now is how bad Kamal Martin's injury is. He is the linchpin of the defense. The philosophy under Fleck is "next man up", but those are some huge shoes to fill if he is out for the year.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10579
RE: Gopher Football - 10/21/2019 9:04:09 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Empty stadium.

And it wasn't so much the audience. The B10 knew nobody would actually watch a Rutgers football or basketball game. But it forced the cable and satellite companies to pay the rights for the B10 Network on its New York and other northeast packages.

Right, I should've used the term market instead of audience.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 10580
RE: Gopher Football - 10/21/2019 10:32:43 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

How many times in recent years have we had to hold our breath to see if we would be bowl eligible? Needed a last-game-of-the-season win to sneak in?

We're already bowl eligible and things are looking kind of peachy. As a lifelong Minnesota sports fan - you never say anything more definitive than that.

Are you suggesting we are going to the Peach Bowl?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10581
RE: Gopher Football - 10/21/2019 2:35:52 PM   
TJSweens

WHEW! Looks like Martin's injury is not serious. Could even be back this Saturday. More importantly for Penn State.

Gophers upgrade Kamal Martin to game-time decision for Maryland
The senior linebacker is still undergoing tests on his right leg injury suffered Saturday at Rutgers.
By Megan Ryan Star Tribune OCTOBER 21, 2019 — 12:26PM

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck shared some “good news” Monday on one of his top defensive players.

Linebacker Kamal Martin’s injury against Rutgers doesn’t seem as serious as initially feared.

“He’s going to be kind of a game-time decision,” Fleck said, with the Gophers set to face Maryland on Saturday. “I don’t have a specific answer yet. He’s still got a few more tests. But we got some really good news, and that’s where we’re at.”

A senior from Burnsville, Martin left Saturday’s 42-7 victory the third quarter. His right knee seemed to buckle just before contact on a play. He limped off the field with help and was eventually carted to the locker room. But Fleck said after the game that Martin was standing in the locker room and in good spirits after enduring his lower-leg injury.

Martin’s 46 tackles lead the Gophers this year, despite him missing one game from suspension and one with an injury, plus the end of the Rutgers contest.

The No. 17 Gophers are 7-0, 4-0 in the Big Ten. After the Maryland game, they have a bye week before encountering their first ranked opponent of the season, No. 6 Penn State.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10582
RE: Gopher Football - 10/21/2019 2:42:11 PM   
SoMnFan

HUGE news
We need everyone

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 10583
RE: Gopher Football - 10/21/2019 3:05:06 PM   
Phil Riewer

Very good news...if he is questionable give him this week off, bye week, and then he should be closer to 100%?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 10584
RE: Gopher Football - 10/21/2019 3:17:20 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Empty stadium.

That was always my assumption. It was just to get Big 10 network on to East Coast cable providers.
Post #: 10585
RE: Gopher Football - 10/21/2019 10:03:16 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Love Lynn but this is the main problem for MN sports, IMO (and I'm not saying she is saying it, just that it exists). We are 'happy' to be bowl eligible. That isn't the goal MN. At least, it shouldn't be.
Post #: 10586
RE: Gopher Football - 10/21/2019 10:07:56 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Really liking whats happening here
Thought our Illini and Purdue wins were nothing
They may have been something
Good job of not playing down, eventually.
The holder stuff was cool, but lets get that out of the way now.
Interesting final part of the season coming up
VERY interesting.
Legit opportunities for this team ahead. Plays out perfectly, if you don't mess it up fellas.

It's great to be excited and not get ahead of ourselves but lets put this in to perspective to keep the MO up.

It's not just the Illini (who just beat Sconny) and Purdue (who has schooled us in the past). We dominated Nebraska too (and I get that they are a bit down). Maybe I'm making excuses as to why those schools aren't who we thought they were, but we are 7-0 and facing the real possibility that we can take on Penn St, at home, with both teams being 8-0. Mason and company are back. Lets shoot past them.
Post #: 10587
RE: Gopher Football - 10/22/2019 8:50:12 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

Love Lynn but this is the main problem for MN sports, IMO (and I'm not saying she is saying it, just that it exists). We are 'happy' to be bowl eligible. That isn't the goal MN. At least, it shouldn't be.

I agree - we shouldn't be willing to settle for the fairly easy mark of just being "bowl eligible." Mostly I'm just saying that it makes a difference on our blood pressure to be able to check that off so early in the season.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 10588
RE: Gopher Football - 10/22/2019 8:54:43 AM   
SoMnFan

We are projected to be in the Outback Bowl vs Auburn (per ESPN)
I'm expecting more than that.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 10589
RE: Gopher Football - 10/22/2019 8:59:21 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree - we shouldn't be willing to settle for the fairly easy mark of just being "bowl eligible." Mostly I'm just saying that it makes a difference on our blood pressure to be able to check that off so early in the season.

Exactly. The sooner you clinch bowl eligibility, the higher you can set your sights for bowl games.

Post #: 10590
RE: Gopher Football - 10/22/2019 10:13:27 PM   
Jeff Jesser

SMF's post was my exact point because, I too, am 100% guilty of it. My gut reaction was "holy crap Auburn would crush us". I don't even know a thing about Auburn this year. I think, as MN sports fans, we have gotten conditioned to things that just piss me off because we don't have the media that would put the heat on our sports "leaders" to start getting answers.

I don't live in MN anymore but:

A. did anyone grill the Twins leadership by getting swept by the Yankees……AGAIN?
B. do they grill Leo for the stagnant (and that's being kind) "State of Hockey"?
C. do they grill the Wolves for never making the playoffs?
D. do they grill the Vikings (Zimmer) for being way too passive with the talent he's been given?
E. do they grill the U for for not making the NCAA tourney's almost every year (hockey and BBall)?

There are positives for sure. This football run has been one, the Lynx for sure. I don't follow (other than transactions, I don't watch the games) the Loons but I was really encouraged by Heath's comments after the loss to the Galaxy. He basically said "we need more on offense, your ball owners".

Maybe the hard questions are asked. I don't know. All I read are smarmy articles by Souhan and over the top "things are great, don't look over here losers" articles by Sid. Maybe I don't see the hard hitting shit but things like the Wild pregame/postgame make me want to vomit.
Post #: 10591
RE: Gopher Football - 10/22/2019 10:14:16 PM   
Jeff Jesser

And, btw, I don't disagree with your points Tim and Lynn. Just trying to understand since I've become an outsider.
Post #: 10592
RE: Gopher Football - 10/23/2019 9:16:32 AM   
TJSweens

My first recommendation is to quit reading Sid, Souhan and Reusse. They easily have to be the worst collection of sports columnists in the country.

Post #: 10593
RE: Gopher Football - 10/23/2019 10:26:55 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

My first recommendation is to quit reading Sid, Souhan and Reusse. They easily have to be the worst collection of sports columnists in the country.

Look dummy, I don't read Sid, you stupid SOB. (that was my feeble attempt at your your humor when you're in "Sid mode").

I don't. I'm just asking, is anyone asking hard questions? If so, I would love to follow/read that stuff. Simple as that.
Post #: 10594
RE: Gopher Football - 10/24/2019 7:22:34 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Look dummy, I don't read Sid, you stupid SOB. (that was my feeble attempt at your your humor when you're in "Sid mode").
I don't. I'm just asking, is anyone asking hard questions? If so, I would love to follow/read that stuff. Simple as that.

TBH I think everyone is waiting for those first of three games to see where we are as a team.

Post #: 10595
RE: Gopher Football - 10/24/2019 7:23:00 AM   
SoMnFan

I've looked too, Jeff.
Its pretty much all butterfly-chasing at the U
For as much fun as I poke at the Wild/Viking/Twin managers and coaches for their easy lot in life (criticism-wise) …..
I think the U takes it to extremes. There's a river on campus. Easy to dump the bodies if you dare see anything other than "we are having fun!" Wheee!

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 10596
RE: Gopher Football - 10/24/2019 8:33:06 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

1. Here is a proper Sid tirade .... Listen here, genius, how many people have read your sports column over the last 152 years. I was covering sports before you were twinkle in your father's eyes, I used to be the GM of the Lakers, my best friends are Bud Grant and Bobby Knight and .... and .... what was I talking about?

2. Nobody asks hard questions about anything related to sports in this market. The papers and sports bloggers are all more concerned about protecting their access than questioning incompetence. That's why they parrot the company line instead of making a stand about anything.

Post #: 10597
RE: Gopher Football - 10/24/2019 9:20:10 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I've looked too, Jeff.
Its pretty much all butterfly-chasing at the U
For as much fun as I poke at the Wild/Viking/Twin managers and coaches for their easy lot in life (criticism-wise) …..
I think the U takes it to extremes. There's a river on campus. Easy to dump the bodies if you dare see anything other than "we are having fun!" Wheee!

I don't agree with that....1500/skornorth and Dan B in particular ask the tough questions but they really aren't columnists anymore. KFAN is rosy on anything and so is Sid.

Post #: 10598
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2019 7:15:31 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

SMF's post was my exact point because, I too, am 100% guilty of it. My gut reaction was "holy crap Auburn would crush us". I don't even know a thing about Auburn this year. I think, as MN sports fans, we have gotten conditioned to things that just piss me off because we don't have the media that would put the heat on our sports "leaders" to start getting answers.

I don't live in MN anymore but:

A. did anyone grill the Twins leadership by getting swept by the Yankees……AGAIN?
B. do they grill Leo for the stagnant (and that's being kind) "State of Hockey"?
C. do they grill the Wolves for never making the playoffs?
D. do they grill the Vikings (Zimmer) for being way too passive with the talent he's been given?
E. do they grill the U for for not making the NCAA tourney's almost every year (hockey and BBall)?

There are positives for sure. This football run has been one, the Lynx for sure. I don't follow (other than transactions, I don't watch the games) the Loons but I was really encouraged by Heath's comments after the loss to the Galaxy. He basically said "we need more on offense, your ball owners".

Maybe the hard questions are asked. I don't know. All I read are smarmy articles by Souhan and over the top "things are great, don't look over here losers" articles by Sid. Maybe I don't see the hard hitting shit but things like the Wild pregame/postgame make me want to vomit.

I would say all get their share of grilling except for D. Sure there’s some grumbling about Zimmer when the Vikings flop, but it’s minimal. Everything and everyone else except Zimmer gets blamed. He’s Mr Teflon.
Post #: 10599
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2019 9:02:05 AM   
SoMnFan

Incredible to see all the fun in Brookings with the ESPN crew
Couple of our local boys on center stage as well
Never thought I'd see this day ……

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 10600
Page:   <<   < prev  422 423 [424] 425 426   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  422 423 [424] 425 426   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode