Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  480 481 [482] 483 484   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 2/5/2020 1:20:54 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Dantonio steps down as Michigan State football coach.

Alleged NCAA violations.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 12026
RE: Gopher Football - 4/1/2020 3:50:17 PM   
Phil Riewer

GopherHole.com
@GopherHole
·
13m
CBS ranks #Gophers PJ Fleck as the 5th best college football coach under the age of 45. http://ow.ly/OI8C50z2ChS

GopherHole.com
@GopherHole
·
11m
Sporting News updated its Top 25 and currently has #Gophers 12th! http://ow.ly/tNx150z2CqS

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 12027
RE: Gopher Football - 4/1/2020 10:06:40 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

GopherHole.com
@GopherHole
·
13m
CBS ranks #Gophers PJ Fleck as the 5th best college football coach under the age of 45. http://ow.ly/OI8C50z2ChS

GopherHole.com
@GopherHole
·
11m
Sporting News updated its Top 25 and currently has #Gophers 12th! http://ow.ly/tNx150z2CqS

Will there be a college football season?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12028
RE: Gopher Football - 4/2/2020 8:26:43 AM   
SoMnFan

Of course … just when we get watchable … we can't watch em
Going to be very interesting to see how soon things can get rolling again.
Not looking great at this moment, for getting things going on time, in any of these sports.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12029
RE: Gopher Football - 4/9/2020 11:37:25 AM   
SoMnFan

5-foot-9 with first-round bloodlines

Kevin Seifert
ESPN Staff Writer

Antoine Winfield Jr. knew the call.
The No. 17 Minnesota Golden Gophers were sending a six-man blitz against Penn State, meaning Winfield would line up as a single-high safety. He understood his primary responsibility was to guard the post in the middle of the field.
He recognized something else, though -- a clue that would help him make a big play in the most important game of his college career, a 31-26 upset of the No. 4-ranked Nittany Lions. Penn State's star receiver, KJ Hamler, was lined up in the slot on 3rd-and-9. Against single-high looks in those situations, Winfield recalled from film study, the Nittany Lions liked to throw a deep route to Hamler, who would fade toward the sideline and away from the safety. Quarterback Sean Clifford would throw the ball over Hamler's outside shoulder, further guarding against a safety getting over to break up the pass, and often get a big play.
So at the snap, Winfield sprinted away from the post and toward Hamler. Clifford's pass was a bit short, but Winfield was already in position for an interception -- his second of the game -- that would end a Penn State scoring threat and continue a monster performance that solidified his status as one of the best safeties in the 2020 NFL draft class.

"His anticipation and understanding of where the ball was going made that play happen," Minnesota defensive coordinator Joe Rossi said. "I mean, he got there with time to spare. He gets to balls that other people can't get to."
Many of us consider that skill a matter of instincts. But for Winfield, it is the consequence of a life lived alongside one of the NFL's most studious defensive backs in recent memory. His father, Antoine Winfield Sr., made it through 14 seasons as a 5-foot-9, 185-pound cornerback largely because he was a mental step ahead of most opponents. Winfield Jr., born during his father's college career at Ohio State, saw his father studying film on a laptop every night before bed and understood that game-changing plays are more preparation than impulse.
Playmaking safeties are always in demand, and Winfield offers positional versatility with experience as a slot cornerback. ESPN draft analysts Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay both projected him as a first-round pick in their most recent mock drafts.
But Winfield's complicated resume makes him one of this year's more enigmatic high-end prospects. His 5-foot-9 height measurement at the scouting combine will provoke pause for some teams. He was a unanimous All-American after recording seven interceptions in 2019, but he had previously lost most of his sophomore and junior seasons due to injury. And his freshman season ended in a suspension that was ultimately overturned.
"He's a really instinctive player," said NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah, a former scout for three NFL teams. "I love watching him. But having been in those draft rooms, there's going to be some push back when you say, 'OK, he's 5-9 and he's missed [most of] two seasons.' As a first-round pick, there will be teams that push back on that."
No matter. The Winfields, as it turns out, are skilled in defeating conventional wisdom.
'It's all about the ball'
It has been 21 years since a defensive back was drafted in the first round with a listed height of under 5-foot-10. That player was Antoine Winfield Sr., who measured 5-foot-8 6/8 and 176 pounds at the 1999 combine and went on to be selected No. 23 overall by the Buffalo Bills.
NFL DBs drafted in first round under 5-foot-10 since 1967
Year
Player
Team
Antoine Winfield Sr.
BUF
Chris Canty
NE
Tyrone Poole
CAR
Aaron Glenn
NYJ
Donnell Woolford
CHI
Darrell Green
WSH
Source: Elias Sports Bureau
Short cornerbacks have been scorned throughout the modern history of the NFL. According to research by the Elias Sports Bureau, only five other defensive backs who were 5-foot-9 or shorter have been first-round picks since the common draft began in 1967. Winfield Sr. proved the exception, however, and his path is instructive for a son whose own height is likely to be rounded up to 5-foot-10 on his NFL roster.
Both at Ohio State and in Buffalo, Winfield Sr. excelled because he was one of the game's most fundamentally sound tacklers. He offered a linebacker's physicality and reliability by utilizing his simple three-step formula: "Come in as hard as I could. Get low. Grab onto something and hold on," he said recently by phone. Whether against the run or in pass defense, his sure tackling prevented manageable gains from becoming big plays.
After signing a free-agent contract with the Minnesota Vikings in 2004, however, he moved to a new level.
"I honed in and started taking the game seriously," he said. "Every coach I had there in Minnesota, they preached turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. So I had to study. I told [Winfield Jr.] at a very early age that that's how you make a name for yourself. That's how you separate the good players and great players. Guys who create turnovers. It's all about the ball."
While he was still best known for his tackling skills, Winfield Sr. intercepted 11 passes during his first three seasons in Minnesota. The Vikings utilized him as a classic No. 1 cornerback, meaning he matched up twice yearly against the likes of 6-foot-5 Calvin Johnson. The experience cemented one defensive principle among all others for Winfield: learn the offense.
"The only advantage you've got, especially with so many receivers in the NFL now being the size of Calvin Johnson, is to put yourself in the best position to play the ball," Winfield Sr. said. "You can't win every battle, but you can win your share if you have a good idea of where the ball is going to go. You only know that by studying what they've done and what their tendencies are. I knew I couldn't run and jump with them, so that was the only chance I had."
Following Winfield Sr.'s retirement in 2013, the family moved to the Houston suburbs. Winfield Jr., the oldest of three sons, was 15. He had played varsity football as a high school freshman in Minnesota, but the transition to Texas-style football meant it was time to get to work.
"High school football down there was a whole different world," Winfield Jr. said.
He had no doubts about his desire to enter the family business, and work began in earnest after arriving in The Woodlands, Texas. His mother, Erniece, remembers Winfield Sr. conducting ladder drills in the backyard with her oldest son. More than anything, though, Winfield Sr. and Jr. would talk offense and study tape.

Antoine Jr. was learning about the game of football from his father at an early age. Courtesy of the Winfield family
"I would watch and listen to them, and it was wild," Erniece remembers. "I assumed every player watched film the way Antoine did, and he was like, 'No, not everybody does that.' He taught all of our boys to know what you're up against. I had been around football since I was 18, and I didn't know that a safety needs to learn the quarterback. Those are the kinds of things they were doing when [Winfield Jr.] was in high school."
Even after Winfield Jr. returned to Minnesota for college, he would send his father cell phone clips of practice and game video.
"At a young age, I just always was watching my dad do the things that he needed to do to be a great player," Antoine Jr. said. "The No. 1 thing was always film study. You have to learn what offenses do, who they're throwing to. You have to know who is getting the ball, how running backs carry the ball. And you have to know it in practice, not just games. So my goal is to get one takeaway in practice every day. If you make it a habit in practice, you'll do it in a game, and that's how you get on the map."
It happened in a hurry for Winfield Jr., who entered his final season at Minnesota having played in only 18 games during the previous three years. Along with his seven interceptions, including one he returned for a touchdown, came two forced fumbles, 85 tackles and a 76-yard punt return that suggested he could moonlight as an NFL returner, as well.
"His preparation unlocked what are undeniably innate abilities," Minnesota's Rossi said. "He understands splits, tips, checks and all the things that go into playing at a high level. When you see how polished a player he is, you don't appreciate it until you realize the limited number of games he had played. He basically lost two years in a row."
Injuries and a suspension
Those lost years will be a crucial part of Winfield Jr.'s final draft evaluation. After starting as a freshman in 2016, a hamstring injury ended his 2017 season after four games. His 2018 season also ended after four games because of a more serious Lisfranc fracture in his foot.

NFL teams got their usual chance to examine him at the combine, but league rules during this unusual offseason prevented the full opportunities they usually have for further evaluations at team facilities. More broadly, teams will have to decide whether to apply a long-held scouting maxim -- college players who struggle to stay on the field can experience similar issues in the NFL -- or if they consider Winfield Jr.'s injuries a fluke.
"That's where you've got to rely on your doctors," Jeremiah said, who has mocked him as a second-round pick, "and they have to give you a thumbs up or a thumbs down. ... It's not something that you just throw away and say, 'OK, he's a great player, we'll take him.' [Injuries] are going to factor into the discussion."
Confined to a wheelchair after undergoing surgery on his foot in 2018, unable to play football past September for the second consecutive year, Winfield Jr. told his parents he was fine. Erniece knew better. She flew to Minnesota and brought him back to Houston for a week of love.
"He's such a mama's boy," Erniece said. "He was like, 'You don't have to come up here, I'll be fine.' I was like, there is no way I'm letting you go through this all by yourself. After the fact, he was like, 'Mom, thank you for coming to get me. I appreciate it. I needed this time.' He wanted to be home."
Winfield Jr. emerged from that dark time more determined than ever to demonstrate what he could do over a full season.
"My mindset behind last year was to stay healthy," he said. "I had been hurt and had to sit out. My mindset was that if I stay healthy, I was going to ball."
Said Winfield Sr.: "Anyone who has been around football or knows football knows that injuries happen. His injuries, we couldn't control them. Foot, hamstrings, you recover from. I told him last year that if he was on the field, he would perform. Scouts and people at the next level, they know how to spot talent. He's where he is today because he put in the work to do that."

Winfield Sr.'s advice carried weight in part because he and Erniece had already helped their son navigate a far more serious situation. In December 2016, when Winfield Jr. was still a freshman, he was among 10 Minnesota players suspended in response to an internal school investigation into allegations of a sexual assault. Minneapolis police had declined to press charges after the initial allegations in September, and the school initially did not provide the evidence it used to hand down the discipline.
Both Antoine Sr. and Erniece were furious and scared. Their son had never been in trouble, and Erniece recalled the phone calls she received from parents of his high school classmates, telling her how Winfield Jr. had helped their own children through difficult moments.
"I'm from Akron, Ohio," Erniece said, "and I had seen what it was like when the future of somebody's child is up to a jury. I had seen people selling drugs, and the next thing they knew, they were in jail for the next 30 years. And the mother just cries because there's nothing she can do. So it just hurt my heart to see Antoine go through that, because if you met two million kids, you're going to remember him because he's such a nice and pleasant kid."
Winfield Sr. was more direct.
"I know the young man that I raised," he said. "I knew there was no possible way he could have done that. When I first heard about it, I was on the first thing smoking."
The Winfields took a 7 a.m. flight to Minneapolis the day after the announcement and started knocking on doors -- literally -- to find out what their son had been accused of. Among their stops were the offices of athletic director Mark Coyle and school president Eric Kaler, they said. Neither would meet with them. (Coyle said at the time that privacy laws prevented him from talking about specific students or situations.) Winfield Sr. appeared on the local and national news, appealing for more information and criticizing the school for its handling of the alleged assault. The team's remaining players threatened to boycott the upcoming Holiday Bowl game, making national headlines.
"It meant a lot for them to come up right away after hearing the news," Winfield Jr. said. "It just shows you who they are. I was in a little bit of trouble with the news being out there, and they showed up right away and were behind me the entire process. It showed a lot."

Ultimately, a leak of the school's internal report to a local media outlet provided details. A woman had alleged that she was sexually assaulted by multiple football players after the team's first game of the season. Ten players, including Winfield, were identified as at least having been in the room where the alleged assault occurred.
According to attorney Ryan Pacyga, who was hired by the Winfield family, Winfield Jr. had been hosting a recruit that evening. The woman never accused Winfield Jr. of any sexual contact, Pacyga said, but the school's office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) suspended him because his alleged presence was a violation of the student code.
Winfield Jr. did not play in the Holiday Bowl, but his case was overturned by an appeals panel. In his testimony, according to Pacyga, Winfield Jr. said that he spent part of the night looking for the recruit. He was directed to an apartment and then peered into a bedroom, where he saw a woman and a man engaged in what appeared be consensual intercourse. The recruit was not in the room, and Winfield Jr. left immediately to continue looking for him, Pacyga said. Winfield rejoined the team for spring practice in March 2017.
"After that," Erniece said, "he went from a boy to a man. It was just an instant change. He kept his circle very small and very tight. The problem with Antoine was that he was way too trusting. He wanted to be good to everybody."
'The lights are on'
And so it came to be that Antoine Winfield Jr., polished off the field and on, would enter the NFL draft. A telephone interview reveals the same genial confidence his father once carried, the kind that suggests he is as unlikely as any prospect in the draft to encounter an unexpected obstacle.
"Safety is the toughest position to evaluate, at least in my opinion," McShay said. "There is so much space, they're in the back end, and you've got to really look to figure out what they're seeing, what they're trying to do and how they're reacting. A lot of guys, they don't jump out, but Antoine just jumps out. He knows when to study the receiver, and he knows when to get his eyes on the quarterback. That's tough to teach. Anyone who has played defense at all knows that it's tough to teach their eyes to move from one to the other. He does such a great job with that."

"It helps to have a dad like Antoine Winfield Sr. grinding tape with you," McShay added, "but some of that, you either have it or you don't."
Skilled in both the physical and mental parts of the game, and hardened by injuries and experience, Winfield is just as prepared to be a scrutinized first-round pick as he is to be a steal in the second or third round. Minnesota's Rossi said he has referred to Winfield Jr. as "minus, not zero, maintenance" during conversations with NFL scouts. Winfield Sr. said he sees the kind of spark that ensures NFL-level success.
"I really do," he said. "I think he has that 'it' factor. He can visualize the play and see it before it happens.
"I look at him, and I know the lights are on."

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12030
RE: Gopher Football - 4/9/2020 11:38:08 AM   
SoMnFan

Loved what that kid did for the program.
Sure hope his success continues.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12031
RE: Gopher Football - 4/10/2020 7:58:44 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Loved what that kid did for the program.
Sure hope his success continues.

Agree, if it isn't here, I hope its in the AFC.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 12032
RE: Gopher Football - 4/10/2020 9:32:53 AM   
TJSweens

Winfield Jr is like Tyler Johnson to me. I'm just way to big a fan of the kid to give even a remotely objective opinion of where he should be drafted. Just a class kid and a great athlete.

I'm glad the article gave the detail of what his role was on that night. Pat Reusse had given that same version of the story before. Police watched at least two different video's of the alleged assault and didn't conclude that it was a sexual assault, but Winfield was supposed to be able to tell that it was with a quick peek into the room?

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 4/10/2020 10:40:11 AM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12033
RE: Gopher Football - 4/10/2020 10:39:47 AM   
TJSweens

Four-star Arizona cornerback Steven Ortiz Jr. commits to Gophers
By Megan Ryan APRIL 9, 2020 — 8:30PM

Four-star cornerback Steven Ortiz Jr., committed to the Gophers on Thursday, sight unseen.

The 5-11, 170-pound Arizona native announced his decision on Twitter, without having even visited Minnesota. College football is in a recruiting dead period because of the coronavirus pandemic, meaning a moratorium on recruiting travel. But Gophers staff have been conducting video chats and virtual tours.

That clearly worked for Ortiz, the No. 17 cornerback in the country per 247Sports.com.The Desert Edge product had plenty of other offers, including from Penn State, Oregon and Nebraska.

Ortiz is believed to be the best cornerback recruit the Gophers have ever received. He is the seventh member of the Gophers' 2021 class so far.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12034
RE: Gopher Football - 4/10/2020 10:49:05 AM   
SoMnFan

nicccccccccccce

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12035
RE: Gopher Football - 4/10/2020 10:51:16 AM   
Lynn G.

I keep waiting for the day when we read that someone who Wisconsin was heavily recruiting picks Minnesota instead. When is it our turn to steal one from them?

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 12036
RE: Gopher Football - 4/10/2020 10:52:13 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

I keep waiting for the day when we read that someone who Wisconsin was heavily recruiting picks Minnesota instead. When is it our turn to steal one from them?

I think Fleck has already done it a few times.

Post #: 12037
RE: Gopher Football - 4/10/2020 11:11:04 AM   
David Levine

Get to know Steven Ortiz
Height: 5’10”
Weight: 170

Power 5 Scholarship Offers:
Arizona, California, Duke, Iowa State, Kansas State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oregon, Oregon State, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse, Washington, and Washington State

247 Sports Composite Rating: .9036

247 Sports Scouting Report

Lean, muscular build and strong lower half. Should be able to add some weight and maintain quickness. Stingy defender who thrives in one-on-one battles. Comfortable in space and sticks to receivers in and out of their breaks. Very good ball skills. Competitive play-maker with the straight-line speed to blanket his side of the secondary. Instinctual corner who can fill various roles in the defense. Could improve physicality and tackling technique, particularly in run support. Upside to be a multi-year starter at Power Five level and NFL Draft Day 3 potential.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2020/4/9/21214493/minnesota-football-recruiting-2021-steven-ortiz-defensive-back
Post #: 12038
RE: Gopher Football - 4/10/2020 11:40:30 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

I think Fleck has already done it a few times.

Cool! I hadn't noticed that. Thanks.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 12039
RE: Gopher Football - 4/10/2020 11:59:33 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Fleck lands a 4 star recruit during a pandemic. Nice.

In a weird way the recruiting travel moratorium may give Fleck an edge. Everybody is in the same boat, shut in place, but these recruits still need to plan their futures somehow and make commitments. I'd trust a younger, 'players' coach like Fleck more than some older 'boomer' coaches, to re-invent the whole recruiting process on the fly, being adept at thinking outside the box and being able to craft a slick 'virtual' recruiting package.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 4/10/2020 12:00:38 PM >
Post #: 12040
RE: Gopher Football - 4/10/2020 1:13:52 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Fleck lands a 4 star recruit during a pandemic. Nice.

In a weird way the recruiting travel moratorium may give Fleck an edge. Everybody is in the same boat, shut in place, but these recruits still need to plan their futures somehow and make commitments. I'd trust a younger, 'players' coach like Fleck more than some older 'boomer' coaches, to re-invent the whole recruiting process on the fly, being adept at thinking outside the box and being able to craft a slick 'virtual' recruiting package.

Especially scary have been the Gundy/Leach/Swinney stories lately.
Creating cultures of ignorance and outdated teachings.
If the parents of the newest good players are good people, those programs will be losing a lot of recruits.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12041
RE: Gopher Football - 4/10/2020 1:40:20 PM   
SoMnFan

Bison have "offered" to Trey Lance's little brother.
Amazing.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12042
RE: Gopher Football - 4/13/2020 7:42:32 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Amazing.

Get in there Fleck....Scott are the Gophers recruiting him?

Post #: 12043
RE: Gopher Football - 4/13/2020 8:23:05 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Amazing.

Get in there Fleck....Scott are the Gophers recruiting him?

Is he a D1 recruit? I mean, are other D1 programs pursuing him?

Post #: 12044
RE: Gopher Football - 4/13/2020 8:26:44 AM   
SoMnFan

I'll check on other D1s
Word around here is that his heart is mostly in basketball
But I can't imagine his brothers success in FB wouldn't make him rethink that.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12045
RE: Gopher Football - 4/15/2020 12:26:58 PM   
Phil Riewer

https://www.startribune.com/gophers-add-georgia-receiver-lemeke-brockington-to-2021-class/569662532/

Post #: 12046
RE: Gopher Football - 4/15/2020 12:35:12 PM   
TJSweens

Gophers football’s top 2021 recruit Steven Ortiz has ‘swagger’ and savvy
By ANDY GREDER | agreder@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: April 14, 2020 at 2:17 p.m. | UPDATED: April 15, 2020 at 11:07 a.m.

Arizona high school defensive back Steven Ortiz had ample reasons to pledge to perennial top programs Penn State or Washington during his recruiting process.

Ortiz visited Happy Valley when more than 110,000 Nittany Lions fans held a White Out for an October game against Michigan last fall, and he has a “brotherhood” from his seven-on-seven passing-league team with ties to the Huskies in Seattle.

But without an in-person visit to Dinkytown, Ortiz committed to Minnesota’s 2021 recruiting class last week. With a 247sports’ composite four-star ranking of 0.9036, he is the second-highest-rated recruit to commit to head coach P.J. Fleck at Minnesota. (Guard Curtis Dunlap Jr., a Florida native in the 2018 class, is No. 1.)

“I want to choose my own path,” Ortiz told the Pioneer Press. “I don’t want to go somewhere because all my boys are there. I don’t want to go somewhere because it’s a White Out. I want to choose my own future.”

Ortiz, a two-time Class 4A all-state player at Desert Edge High School in the Phoenix suburb of Goodyear, knows the stars next to his name carry expectations.

“It motivates me,” said Ortiz, who plans to enroll at the U next January. “It lets me know I have a target on my back and the coaches expect a lot from me, so I’m just trying to get on their good side about grinding and getting my head in the playbook early and pretty much work for everything.”

Ortiz became a starting safety at the beginning of his freshman season in high school, moved to cornerback as a sophomore, and as a junior last fall, he returned to safety and mixed in time at nickel back. He said Gophers coaches want him to play nickel at the U.

“He has some of that DB swagger to him,” former Desert Edge head coach Jose Lucero said. “… He works extremely hard. He is never going to miss a weight-room day, never going to skip a rep. He is always going to give everything he has.”

Ortiz, who is 5-foot-11 and 170 pounds, was Desert Edge’s only junior captain on last year’s team which lost the 4A state championship game, and he has been an eager volunteer during the program’s youth camps. “He is a good all-around kid,” Lucero said.

In elementary school, Ortiz didn’t show model sportsmanship. He was taken out of flag football because he was tackling opponents, and he also was removed from a youth basketball squad because he was too physical.

“That is why I quit that sport; I would foul the heck out of them,” he said with a laugh.

Football became Ortiz’s avenue, and his junior-year highlight reel shows a hard hitter with an ability to read and make stops behind the line of scrimmage, with hustle and speed to track down other plays downfield. He said his style comes from his heart and he’s trying to emulate his favorite player, Los Angeles Rams cornerback Jalen Ramsey.

Ortiz’s instincts were on display during one of his favorite high school plays. In the 2018 season opener against Prescott, Ortiz watched a passing play develop in the seconds before a pre-snap penalty ended it. Prescott then ran the same play again.

“I just baited the quarterback to throw it to the same person, and once they did it, I just picked it off,” Ortiz said, leaving out the part where he returned it 25 yards for a touchdown.

Ortiz also is a sprinter on the Desert Edge track team. He competes in the 100 meters, 4×100 and 4×400 relays and was going to expand into the 200 before the coronavirus ended the spring season. He said he was clocked at 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash as a sophomore and “promises” he’s even faster now.

After Ortiz started as a freshman, the University of Arizona and Syracuse were the first programs to offer scholarships that April. During his sophomore year, he visited Penn State, Oregon and Washington. The Huskies were the favorite to land Ortiz as late as last week.

The Gophers didn’t start recruiting Ortiz until two months ago. So why did he commit to Minnesota without seeing the campus, TCF Bank Stadium or meeting potential teammates?

“It was the energy of the coaches, the love they showed,” Ortiz said, adding his primary recruiters were Fleck, safeties coach Joe Harasymiak and recruiting director Steven Ruzic.

“I picked Minnesota because of the academics, the culture, the coaches, and I always wanted to play in the Big Ten,” he said. “Coach Fleck is always a guy that is going to keep it 100 (percent) with me. I fell in love with Coach Fleck after our first couple of phone calls, and I want to play for him.”

When Ortiz committed on Thursday, two Puerto Rican flags were displayed on the table behind him, a nod to his family’s heritage and a sport few from his native country play. (Former Giants receiver Victor Cruz is the most popular former player of Puerto Rican heritage.)

“It’s honorable for me to rep the flag and play football and make this big step,” Ortiz said.

Post #: 12047
RE: Gopher Football - 4/15/2020 12:37:56 PM   
SoMnFan

Sounds like one hell of a kid
Make your own path young man

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12048
RE: Gopher Football - 4/15/2020 12:39:06 PM   
TJSweens

Especially if it means to play here.

Post #: 12049
RE: Gopher Football - 4/15/2020 12:41:20 PM   
SoMnFan

He makes a great point about "not just following my boys"
You see too much of that

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12050
Page:   <<   < prev  480 481 [482] 483 484   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  480 481 [482] 483 484   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode