Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  485 486 [487] 488 489   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 5/26/2020 3:23:27 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Losing Regis still keeps us 3rd/9th.

Michigan moved up to 6th overall (218.27), they signed a 4* OLB that jumped them 8 points.

We're at 202.54 now. Iowa is just behind us at 198.31

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

It's too bad. Regis had just been upgraded to a 4 star recruit by 247.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12151
RE: Gopher Football - 5/26/2020 3:54:03 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Michigan moved up to 6th overall (218.27), they signed a 4* OLB that jumped them 8 points.

Ouch!

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12152
RE: Gopher Football - 5/26/2020 4:12:05 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

I wonder if the bump got more big schools talking to him?
Post #: 12153
RE: Gopher Football - 5/27/2020 7:52:52 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

The Gopher Football Program might be the only thing that has me missing "normal"
I gotta admit it out loud.
Love not having to attend stupid get-togethers, just to get together
Its refreshing to not have to make up an excuse not to attend my wife's co-workers second-cousins third wedding of the decade.
I could stay like this (some of the rules) … forever. Please. Lets.
But back to Gopher Football

As we said awhile back. Just like us, get legit, and now we get blindsided by a pandemic.
Good thing is, A guy like Fleck can probably outlast a virus like this.
So damn excited to see where this team can go with its new look and its new attitude.

Something to finally look forward to...andddd….like the twins...it's in jeopardy. What a shame.

Don't mind the extra walks. Definitely don't miss the meetings sitting around a table over-dressed just to say "I did this today."

People are finding out you can do the same thing online or over a phone, can communicate, can collaborate, without having to have

three or four meetings just to decide how to do stuff.

Imagine that?

Miss the softball games. Weather has put a clamp on more work pitching the past few days.
Maybe get it going soon. I think it will be a good thing for part of a week anyway.

And Gophs? Keep recruiting Boat-Rowing positivity guy. Your success continues to impress.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12154
RE: Gopher Football - 5/27/2020 8:31:00 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wondered the same thing. Hopefully it will be like the Sam Jackson recruitment and Regis ultimately re-commits to the Gophers.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12155
RE: Gopher Football - 5/27/2020 8:55:59 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wondered the same thing. Hopefully it will be like the Sam Jackson recruitment and Regis ultimately re-commits to the Gophers.

That would be nice. If he comes back would that put us at 7 4*s per 24/7?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12156
RE: Gopher Football - 5/27/2020 10:18:23 AM   
Phil Riewer

One thing I give PJ credit for...he recruits and coaches up. Kill/Clayes couldn't recruit as well but did coach up players. Need both to compete for a major bowl. I really liked Brewster but he just wasn't a good coach and his best recruits couldn't get the grades to get into the U of MN.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 12157
RE: Gopher Football - 6/1/2020 4:36:19 PM   
Mr. Ed

From the weekend

Minnesota's been on a roll in May with four more commitments in four-stars Mar'Keise Irving and Cameron James, plus high-three stars in Austin Barber and Darius Green.

That hot streak has continued with another Plan A target for Joe Rossi and his defense in Indiana defensive end Austin Booker.

One of the top defensive ends in the Midwest in 2021 Greenwood (Ind.) Center Grove defensive end Austin Booker has committed to the Gophers over offers from Oregon, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan State, Washington and Nebraska among others.

The 6-foot-5, 235-pound defensive end took recent fall / winter visits to Indiana, Michigan State, Cincinnati, Wisconsin and Purdue. Booker has yet to visit Minnesota, but has an official visit planned to Dinkytown for post COVID-19 times. It's worth noting that Booker's father played with Gopher DL coach Chad Wilt in college.

Booker is currently rated the No. 36 weak-side defensive end in the country on 247Sports ranks, with a 3-star grading of 87, which places him as the #7 overall recruit in Indiana. He's the 19th addition to-date for the Gophers class of 2021, which currently sits at No. 4 nationally in the early 247Sports class rankings and No. 2 in the Big Ten.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12158
RE: Gopher Football - 6/1/2020 4:40:38 PM   
TJSweens

Keep bringing in those quality athletes.

Post #: 12159
RE: Gopher Football - 6/2/2020 8:12:43 AM   
SoMnFan

Fleck had a great session on ESPN's First Take the other day.
Guy gets it.
Loves to hear himself talk, but he gets it. And the kids buy it, that's all that counts really.
Was thinking while he talked … CFB is maybe IMO the best place in the country as far as a place where everyone gets along.
Of course theres a million examples of not, but in the big picture, you're melting so many kids together, from all parts of the country, and they are all allowed to have an identity for the most part.
It changes at the NFL level, where the stereotypes reappear, (example- white QBs), but so much of CFB is coming in, proving you can play, and creating your own atmosphere and fun, and culture.
Rednecks, bible thumpers, rappers, nerds, you-name-it, they come together and need to coexist. Just an observation. It seems to work better than most orgs.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12160
RE: Gopher Football - 6/2/2020 10:20:07 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Fleck had a great session on ESPN's First Take the other day.
Guy gets it.
Loves to hear himself talk, but he gets it. And the kids buy it, that's all that counts really.
Was thinking while he talked … CFB is maybe IMO the best place in the country as far as a place where everyone gets along.
Of course theres a million examples of not, but in the big picture, you're melting so many kids together, from all parts of the country, and they are all allowed to have an identity for the most part.
It changes at the NFL level, where the stereotypes reappear, (example- white QBs), but so much of CFB is coming in, proving you can play, and creating your own atmosphere and fun, and culture.
Rednecks, bible thumpers, rappers, nerds, you-name-it, they come together and need to coexist. Just an observation. It seems to work better than most orgs.

That's really what it comes down to.

It may seem corny or over the top to us, but the kids absolutely buy into it. And its genuine.

He's one of the only coaches I've heard that when he says he wants to help his players be better men, I believe every word of it.
Post #: 12161
RE: Gopher Football - 6/2/2020 10:21:38 AM   
David Levine

Get to know Austin Booker

Height: 6’5”
Weight: 235

Power 5 Scholarship Offers:
Arizona, Arizona State, Boston College, Duke, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon, Purdue, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt, Washington, and West Virginia

247 Sports Composite Rating: .8627

247 Sports Scouting Report:
Booker is a really good football player from a good high school and has seen great competition. In terms of measurables, he may not be a ‘10’ in any department but he also shows no glaring deficiencies. He has athleticism, but is also ahead of other defensive ends in the Midwest as far as technique and is one of the more college-ready guys at his position in the region based on that technique and level of competition he has played.

In my opinion, he is a generally under-appreciated, under-talked about prospect nationally and will be a really good player for the Gophers.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2020/5/30/21275747/minnesota-football-recruiting-2021-austin-booker-defensive-end
Post #: 12162
RE: Gopher Football - 6/2/2020 10:23:21 AM   
Mr. Ed

Speaking of Gophers that get it....

Ty Carter was out first day of protests begging people to stop the violence. Could see he was upset w/what extra was happening.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12163
RE: Gopher Football - 6/2/2020 2:07:42 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Speaking of Gophers that get it....

Ty Carter was out first day of protests begging people to stop the violence. Could see he was upset w/what extra was happening.

Good for him and George Floyd's brother.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12164
RE: Gopher Football - 6/8/2020 3:59:21 PM   
TJSweens

JD Spielman has officially entered the transfer portal. Apparently he woke one morning and realized that he was in Nebraska and decided to get the hell out.

It remains to be seen if the Gophers are his ultimate destination. The QB here was one of the top rated passers in the nation last year. Just sayin.

Post #: 12165
RE: Gopher Football - 6/9/2020 8:34:56 AM   
SoMnFan

JD already has the 3rd most receptions in Nebraskas storied FB history
Found that interesting
Kids been a real player. Would be incredible to land him.
Lost Tyler J, and yet UPGRADE at the WR position? That'd be something, eh.
Already a bunch of good ones returning, this would be the ultimate topper.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12166
RE: Gopher Football - 6/9/2020 11:38:01 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

JD already has the 3rd most receptions in Nebraskas storied FB history
Found that interesting
Kids been a real player. Would be incredible to land him.
Lost Tyler J, and yet UPGRADE at the WR position? That'd be something, eh.
Already a bunch of good ones returning, this would be the ultimate topper.

As I suspected Rick's kid. Would he be eligible to play for us right away?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12167
RE: Gopher Football - 6/9/2020 1:07:36 PM   
TJSweens

If he has graduated, he can play right away. Otherwise he would have to appeal for a waiver and they haven't been granting those lately.

Post #: 12168
RE: Gopher Football - 6/9/2020 1:24:39 PM   
SoMnFan

LINCOLN, Neb. — JD Spielman, one of the top receivers in Nebraska history, has entered his name in the transfer portal, the school said Monday.
Spielman is the first player to put together three straight 800-yard receiving seasons for the Cornhuskers and leaves No. 3 in career receptions and yards.

Nebraska coach Scott Frost announced March 3 that Spielman had returned to his hometown of Eden Prairie, Minnesota, to deal with an unspecified health matter and probably would miss all of spring practice. Frost had said he expected Spielman to be back for summer conditioning.
Spielman, the son of Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman, would have been a senior in eligibility this fall. It was unclear if he’s on track to graduate this summer, which would make him eligible immediately at his next school.
With no waiver from the NCAA, he would have to sit out one year under transfer rules unless he goes to a school below the Football Bowl Subdivision.
Spielman led the Huskers with 49 catches for 898 yards and five touchdowns last season.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12169
RE: Gopher Football - 6/9/2020 1:49:46 PM   
TJSweens

It sounds like Spielman is dealing with mental health issues and came home to work through them. Sorry to hear that and I wish him well. It supposedly improves his chances of being granted a waiver if he transfers to be close to home, while he deals with it.

Post #: 12170
RE: Gopher Football - 6/9/2020 2:07:30 PM   
SoMnFan

Yep
Good luck young man.
Hopefully the Gophers will be there if he needs them.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12171
RE: Gopher Football - 6/11/2020 4:02:13 PM   
TJSweens

Sam Jackson who committed to the Gophers, decommitted from the Gophers and recommitted to the Gophers has re-decommitted from the Gophers ....

“After talking to my Lord Jesus Christ, my dad and my mentors, I’ve come to realize that as a young man and as a quarterback, it is in my best interest to decommit from the University of Minnesota. This has been an extremely difficult decision but I appreciate the love and patience each coach has given me during this process.”

“With that being said, I am excited to announce that I am officially committed to Purdue University! #Boilerup #RecruitmentIsClosed”

Well, if Jesus told him to go to Purdue what are you going to do about it?

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 6/11/2020 4:03:16 PM >

Post #: 12172
RE: Gopher Football - 6/12/2020 7:57:54 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Sam Jackson who committed to the Gophers, decommitted from the Gophers and recommitted to the Gophers has re-decommitted from the Gophers ....

“After talking to my Lord Jesus Christ, my dad and my mentors, I’ve come to realize that as a young man and as a quarterback, it is in my best interest to decommit from the University of Minnesota. This has been an extremely difficult decision but I appreciate the love and patience each coach has given me during this process.”

“With that being said, I am excited to announce that I am officially committed to Purdue University! #Boilerup #RecruitmentIsClosed”

Well, if Jesus told him to go to Purdue what are you going to do about it?

yes/no/yes.....no

ok.

Odds this guy transfers at some point from Purdue?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12173
RE: Gopher Football - 6/12/2020 8:07:47 AM   
Lynn G.

He sounds like the kind of personality that the team/coaches/athletic director would be constantly having to answer questions about because he'd be a misfit, or someone who is always crabbing about something, never happy.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 12174
RE: Gopher Football - 6/12/2020 10:21:19 AM   
TJSweens

My guess is that he wants to play QB and saw the pecking order. Morgan, Ax, the 4 star from Texas, the 4 star from Chicago who would be coming in with him. Fleck said he would give him a look at QB, but I think they both knew a position switch was in the cards here.

Post #: 12175
Page:   <<   < prev  485 486 [487] 488 489   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  485 486 [487] 488 489   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode