Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  486 487 [488] 489 490   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 6/12/2020 10:48:06 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Sam Jackson who committed to the Gophers, decommitted from the Gophers and recommitted to the Gophers has re-decommitted from the Gophers ....

“After talking to my Lord Jesus Christ, my dad and my mentors, I’ve come to realize that as a young man and as a quarterback, it is in my best interest to decommit from the University of Minnesota. This has been an extremely difficult decision but I appreciate the love and patience each coach has given me during this process.”

“With that being said, I am excited to announce that I am officially committed to Purdue University! #Boilerup #RecruitmentIsClosed”

Well, if Jesus told him to go to Purdue what are you going to do about it?

Is he much of a loss? Did he decommit because he knew he would ride the pine here?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12176
RE: Gopher Football - 6/12/2020 10:49:00 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

My guess is that he wants to play QB and saw the pecking order. Morgan, Ax, the 4 star from Texas, the 4 star from Chicago who would be coming in with him. Fleck said he would give him a look at QB, but I think they both knew a position switch was in the cards here.

That sounds about right.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12177
RE: Gopher Football - 6/15/2020 8:23:06 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Sam Jackson who committed to the Gophers, decommitted from the Gophers and recommitted to the Gophers has re-decommitted from the Gophers ....

“After talking to my Lord Jesus Christ, my dad and my mentors, I’ve come to realize that as a young man and as a quarterback, it is in my best interest to decommit from the University of Minnesota. This has been an extremely difficult decision but I appreciate the love and patience each coach has given me during this process.”

“With that being said, I am excited to announce that I am officially committed to Purdue University! #Boilerup #RecruitmentIsClosed”

yes/no/yes.....no

ok.

Odds this guy transfers at some point from Purdue?

he'll be busy dodging falling scoreboards

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12178
RE: Gopher Football - 6/15/2020 9:17:15 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

yes/no/yes.....no

ok.

Odds this guy transfers at some point from Purdue?

he'll be busy dodging falling scoreboards

Nah, he's not a local kid.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12179
RE: Gopher Football - 6/15/2020 9:32:37 AM   
SoMnFan

Yeah, but he dissed us like he is ….

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12180
RE: Gopher Football - 6/15/2020 10:03:13 AM   
TJSweens

I've actually pared that list. Anyone who ever snubbed Pitino is no longer on that list, unless they went to Wisconsin. Paige Buechers is still at the top of that list.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12181
RE: Gopher Football - 6/15/2020 11:57:23 AM   
SoMnFan

Interesting read out of Iowa City

Iowa officially parts ways with embattled strength coach Chris Doyle

Iowa has officially parted ways with strength coach Chris Doyle.
Doyle, the strength coach at Iowa under Kirk Ferentz since 1999, was put on leave earlier this month after a bevy of former Iowa players spoke out about negative experiences they had involving Doyle. The accusations from former players included racist comments allegedly made by Doyle.
On Monday, the university announced it has “reached a separation agreement” with Doyle, effective immediately. The news comes as an independent review “relating to racial disparities within the football program” is set to begin.
As part of the separation, Doyle will receive 15 months of base salary, which equates to “two separate lump sum payments of $556,249.50 on Aug. 1, 2020, and Jan. 1, 2021.”
“We wish Chris the best moving forward in his career,” Iowa athletic director Gary Barta said in a press release.

Longtime strength coach Chris Doyle and the University of Iowa have parted ways. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)
In a statement released through Iowa, Doyle said he is confident that his “record and character will be confirmed” during the review of the program.
“Iowa City has been home to our family for 21 years. I am grateful Iowa football provided an opportunity to work with incredible players, coaches, and support staff,” Doyle said. “I have worked diligently to make a positive impact on the lives of student-athletes, support them as they speak out, and look forward to continued growth. I am confident that my record and character will be confirmed in the course of the independent review. The University and I have reached an agreement and it is time to move on from Iowa football. My family and I are looking forward to the next chapter.”
Doyle’s son, linebacker Dillon Doyle, announced last week that he was leaving the Iowa program.
Black Iowa players speak out about program’s culture
The outcry from former Iowa players began after Ferentz spoke with reporters and was asked about the social unrest that followed the death of George Floyd. Specifically, when asked about his players potentially kneeling during the national anthem ahead of games, Ferentz said he’d like to see a team-wide stance on whether to kneel. Former Hawkeyes lineman James Daniels, now playing for the Chicago Bears, said the team collectively kneeling would “bring about a cultural change for both Iowa football and the state of Iowa” that was “long overdue.”
A few days later, Daniels spoke more broadly about the Hawkeyes program.
“There are too many racial disparities in the Iowa football program,” Daniels wrote on Twitter. “Black players have been treated unfairly for far too long.”
Dozens of former Iowa players echoed his sentiments, with many specifically pointing to negative and sometimes racially charged experiences in Iowa’s strength and conditioning program led by Doyle, who was the nation’s highest-paid strength coach.
In a June 7 statement, Doyle said he was “proud” of the players who decided to speak out and that it was “time to listen, learn and grow,” before issuing a rebuttal of the many allegations centered on him.
“I have been asked to remain silent, but that is impossible for me to do,” Doyle’s statement said. “There have been statements made about my behavior that are not true. I do not claim to be perfect. I have made mistakes, learned lessons and like every American citizen, can do better. At no time have I ever crossed the line of unethical behavior or bias based upon race. I do not make racists comments and I don’t tolerate people who do.
“I am confident that a complete review of the body of work over 21 years will speak for itself and I am trusting the process to respect the rights and experiences of all parties involved. There are countless men of character who are better fathers, husbands, activists, leaders and contributors to society due to their experience at Iowa Football. The record will show this.”

With Doyle out of the picture, Raimond Braithwaite will serve as Iowa’s interim director of the football strength and conditioning program.
Ferentz admits to ‘blind spot’
In a press conference on Friday, Ferentz admitted he had not identified issues black players faced in his program, a lapse he referred to as a “blind spot.” He said that “blind spot” was crystalized after emotional meetings with former and current players in previous days.
“The former players were very forthcoming. They were very direct, and just pointed out some things that perhaps gave me a new awareness,” Ferentz said. “And I think Monday's meeting, Tuesday's meeting followed up with that light. So the key here is to try to create an environment where everybody feels free to talk and say their mind, and know it's going to be weighed and valued and measured."
Amani Hooker, now with the Tennessee Titans, said on social media that it was “difficult for black players to walk around the facility and be themselves.”
“I remember whenever walking into the facility it would be difficult for black players to walk around the facility and be themselves,” Hooker wrote on Twitter. “As if the way you grew up was the wrong way or wasn’t acceptable and that you would be judged by that and it would impact playing time. For a lot of guys it was just constant anxiety and pressure to be someone they really aren’t to play a game they love, which affected school and their play.”

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12182
RE: Gopher Football - 6/15/2020 12:09:57 PM   
TJSweens

Ferentz is a dick, so it only stands to reason that people who work for him are dicks as well.

Post #: 12183
RE: Gopher Football - 6/15/2020 3:21:26 PM   
Mr. Ed

I'd read that stuff right away, and there was little support for Doyle right off the bat, as in few coming to his defense.

And Sweens is right. Ferentz had better be careful. His Kid has been named as one of the jerks in the program by ex-players as well.

And the pay-off is a pretty good deal to have him keep his mouth shut while he finds someone willing to take him on. I suspect that will be difficult.

Not only comments, but allegedly, some players getting ready to lift, and the guy would walk by and purposely step on fingers.

Nice.

< Message edited by Mr. Ed -- 6/15/2020 3:22:51 PM >

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12184
RE: Gopher Football - 6/15/2020 3:22:52 PM   
TJSweens

Ferentz's kid? You mean son of dick?

Post #: 12185
RE: Gopher Football - 6/15/2020 3:23:13 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Ferentz's kid? You mean son of dick?

that's the one

Good description.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12186
RE: Gopher Football - 6/15/2020 3:28:13 PM   
Mr. Ed

More on the Ferentz Culture

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/09/iowa-football-culture-allegations-kirk-ferentz

Another Black former Iowa player took aim at Brian Ferentz. Cedric Boswell said that the younger Ferentz labeled a new tattoo representing his hometown of Detroit, “the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen.” What’s the point of that? It’s not coaching.

Other revelations that have tumbled out in recent days underscore the controlling nature of Ferentz. Scott Dochterman of The Athletic wrote two sentences over the weekend that portray a program living in the past and afraid of player self-expression: “The program’s Twitter ban was loosened this month to allow for one pre-approved tweet from players. Last year, the program eased restrictions on hats, earrings and hoodies in the football building.”

Not long after word of the single self-approved tweet policy surfaced, Iowa magically changed its policy again to let players say what they want on the social media site. Lo and behold, many of them came to the defense of the program. (The policy change surely was an immense relief to whatever luckless soul Ferentz designated as his Twitter censor.)

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12187
RE: Gopher Football - 6/16/2020 7:39:36 AM  1 votes
SoMnFan

Mr I'm-a-man-I'm-40 Gundy from Okie State with some more gas on the fire after sporting a OAN t-shirt the other day.
No apologies from him, as usual.
Great hair, big mouth.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12188
RE: Gopher Football - 6/16/2020 8:04:20 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Mr I'm-a-man-I'm-40 Gundy from Okie State with some more gas on the fire after sporting a OAN t-shirt the other day.
No apologies from him, as usual.
Great hair, big mouth.

Meanwhile, Fleck was among those named to represent the U on the B10 anti-racism coalition along w/the volleyball coach, some athletes and others.

Just a little difference between the two.

Kind of like the territory where those coaches live.

< Message edited by Mr. Ed -- 6/16/2020 8:06:18 AM >

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12189
RE: Gopher Football - 6/16/2020 9:20:25 AM   
SoMnFan

Same thought Ed
Glad we have who we have running the show, right here, right now.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12190
RE: Gopher Football - 6/16/2020 9:23:43 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Same thought Ed

Much like the spectre of a cancelled season with an up and coming program that made huge strides

The cynical side of me wonders when Fleck's halo falls off, and an ugly side is exposed.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12191
RE: Gopher Football - 6/16/2020 9:28:53 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Same thought Ed

Much like the spectre of a cancelled season with an up and coming program that made huge strides

The cynical side of me wonders when Fleck's halo falls off, and an ugly side is exposed.

I think we have all developed a fatalistic streak where Gopher coaches are concerned.

Post #: 12192
RE: Gopher Football - 6/16/2020 9:37:17 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

Same thought Ed

I think we have all developed a fatalistic streak where Gopher coaches are concerned.

Yup

For me it's Gophers Sports in General too.

And Vikings
And Twins
Wild and Wolves have shot themselves in the foot so many times, there's little left to be fatalistic about.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12193
RE: Gopher Football - 6/17/2020 8:49:40 AM   
SoMnFan

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy apologized Tuesday for the "pain and discomfort" he caused his players and others due to a T-shirt he was photographed wearing and vowed positive changes for his football program.
The apology came one day after star running back Chuba Hubbard took to social media to call out Gundy for wearing a T-shirt from OAN (One America News). A photo showing Gundy wearing the shirt appeared on social media.
Later Monday, Gundy and Hubbard appeared in a video message together that drew widespread criticism. On Tuesday, Hubbard posted twice more about needing to hold Gundy accountable and pushing for change.
In the Tuesday afternoon video, Gundy said he met with his players, who told him why the T-shirt affected them. One America News is a far-right news network that is often cited by President Donald Trump. The network, which has a fraction of the audience of Fox News, has tried to position itself as a place for a pro-Trump audience that believes other conservative news outlets have become too mainstream in their reporting. It recently criticized the Black Lives Matter movement.

"I had a great meeting with our team today. Our players expressed their feelings as individuals and as team members," Gundy said. "They helped me see through their eyes how the T-shirt affected their hearts. Once I learned how that network felt about Black Lives Matter, I was disgusted and knew it was completely unacceptable to me.
"I want to apologize to all members of our team, former players and their families for the pain and discomfort that has been caused over the last two days. Black Lives Matters to me. Our players matter to me. These meetings with our team have been eye-opening and will result in positive changes for Oklahoma State football. I sincerely hope the Oklahoma State family near and far will accept my humble apology as we move forward."

Earlier Tuesday, Hubbard wrote on Twitter: "I was never wrong for saying what I said. I am a man, and I realized I should have went to him as a man face to face rather than on twitter. That's my opinion. But I had to hold him accountable either way. I am glad things happened the way they did because things are being changed as we speak!
"I am a young black man that wants change. I want change that will bring a better experience for my black brothers and sisters at Oklahoma State. It's that simple. Over these next few months I have left at Oklahoma State, I will be working EVERYDAY to bring change to this organization and to the world. I will be supported by my teammates along with people within this organization. To everyone else, trust me when I say that good will come from this."
Hubbard, a redshirt junior from Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada, rushed for 2,094 yards last season and was a first-team All-American and the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year.

Impressed with the effort. If its real, very impressed.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 6/17/2020 8:51:22 AM >

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12194
RE: Gopher Football - 6/17/2020 9:07:39 AM   
Mr. Ed

If its real

future actions will be telling

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12195
RE: Gopher Football - 6/17/2020 9:18:56 AM   
TJSweens

OAN is like FoxNews on steroids. And I'm not talking Juan Rincon level use. I'm talking full on Barry Bonds, HGH & clear cream, level steroid use.

Donald Trump,of course, thinks they are the greatest news network in the world.

Post #: 12196
RE: Gopher Football - 6/17/2020 9:58:31 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

OAN is like FoxNews on steroids. And I'm not talking Juan Rincon level use. I'm talking full on Barry Bonds, HGH & clear cream, level steroid use.

I didn't know it existed until this

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12197
RE: Gopher Football - 6/17/2020 5:51:18 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy apologized Tuesday for the "pain and discomfort" he caused his players and others due to a T-shirt he was photographed wearing and vowed positive changes for his football program.
The apology came one day after star running back Chuba Hubbard took to social media to call out Gundy for wearing a T-shirt from OAN (One America News). A photo showing Gundy wearing the shirt appeared on social media.
Later Monday, Gundy and Hubbard appeared in a video message together that drew widespread criticism. On Tuesday, Hubbard posted twice more about needing to hold Gundy accountable and pushing for change.
In the Tuesday afternoon video, Gundy said he met with his players, who told him why the T-shirt affected them. One America News is a far-right news network that is often cited by President Donald Trump. The network, which has a fraction of the audience of Fox News, has tried to position itself as a place for a pro-Trump audience that believes other conservative news outlets have become too mainstream in their reporting. It recently criticized the Black Lives Matter movement.

"I had a great meeting with our team today. Our players expressed their feelings as individuals and as team members," Gundy said. "They helped me see through their eyes how the T-shirt affected their hearts. Once I learned how that network felt about Black Lives Matter, I was disgusted and knew it was completely unacceptable to me.
"I want to apologize to all members of our team, former players and their families for the pain and discomfort that has been caused over the last two days. Black Lives Matters to me. Our players matter to me. These meetings with our team have been eye-opening and will result in positive changes for Oklahoma State football. I sincerely hope the Oklahoma State family near and far will accept my humble apology as we move forward."

Earlier Tuesday, Hubbard wrote on Twitter: "I was never wrong for saying what I said. I am a man, and I realized I should have went to him as a man face to face rather than on twitter. That's my opinion. But I had to hold him accountable either way. I am glad things happened the way they did because things are being changed as we speak!
"I am a young black man that wants change. I want change that will bring a better experience for my black brothers and sisters at Oklahoma State. It's that simple. Over these next few months I have left at Oklahoma State, I will be working EVERYDAY to bring change to this organization and to the world. I will be supported by my teammates along with people within this organization. To everyone else, trust me when I say that good will come from this."
Hubbard, a redshirt junior from Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada, rushed for 2,094 yards last season and was a first-team All-American and the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year.

Impressed with the effort. If its real, very impressed.

So now college football coaches are being coerced into having the correct political views. Insanity.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12198
RE: Gopher Football - 6/17/2020 5:52:07 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

never heard of it either.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12199
RE: Gopher Football - 6/18/2020 7:39:55 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

never heard of it either.

Me either.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 12200
Page:   <<   < prev  486 487 [488] 489 490   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  486 487 [488] 489 490   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode