Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  487 488 [489] 490 491   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 6/18/2020 8:21:53 AM   
TJSweens

I thought everyone knew who they were. Trump always makes it a point to complement whatever reporter from OAN asks him a question even more than he rips into whatever CNN reporter asks him a question.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12201
RE: Gopher Football - 6/18/2020 8:23:15 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I thought everyone knew who they were. Trump always makes it a point to complement whatever reporter from OAN asks him a question even more than he rips into whatever CNN reporter asks him a question.

That's assuming I watch/listen to his press conferences.

Nope

I shake my head enough at the world and its stupidity.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12202
RE: Gopher Football - 6/18/2020 8:46:00 AM   
TJSweens

What can I say. I enjoy comedy. Some days the Trump shit show is the funniest thing on TV.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12203
RE: Gopher Football - 6/18/2020 9:23:03 AM   
Lynn G.

They actually plant OAN people in the crowd to make sure he gets questions that show him in a favorable light. It's actually kind of funny to watch because it's so obvious. But not funny because lives are literally on the line.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 12204
RE: Gopher Football - 6/18/2020 8:16:58 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

They actually plant OAN people in the crowd to make sure he gets questions that show him in a favorable light. It's actually kind of funny to watch because it's so obvious. But not funny because lives are literally on the line.

How about the billionaire liberal who pays people to demonstrate/protest.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12205
RE: Gopher Football - 6/18/2020 10:36:05 PM   
Lynn G.

That was debunked a long time ago. At one point it was Republicans who were accused of busing in paid protestors.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 12206
RE: Gopher Football - 6/24/2020 12:08:14 PM   
Mr. Ed

Texas defensive end D'Marion Alexander decommitted from the Gophers late Tuesday evening.
The China Spring, Texas, native originally committed to the Gophers on April 22 but announced his decision to reopen his recruitment on social media. The 6-5, 215-pound Alexander is a three-star recruit, per 247Sports.com.
The Gophers 2021 class now has 16 members, ranking 15th in the nation and fifth in the Big Ten conference, per 247Sports.com.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12207
RE: Gopher Football - 6/24/2020 11:02:48 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

That was debunked a long time ago. At one point it was Republicans who were accused of busing in paid protestors.

Who debunked it? The billionaire liberal?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12208
RE: Gopher Football - 6/25/2020 8:01:13 AM   
Lynn G.

Back to Gopher football, how about that Fleck guy?

Post #: 12209
RE: Gopher Football - 6/25/2020 8:17:20 AM   
TJSweens

Who debunked it?

Politifact:
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jun/01/candace-owens/no-soros-and-foundation-do-not-pay-people-protest/

Reuters:
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-false-george-soros-claims/fact-checkfalseclaims-about-george-soros-idUSKBN23P2XJ

snopes, AP, Factcheck.org, etc. Take your pick. But this is fodder for politics. As Lynn said, back to Gopher football.

Post #: 12210
RE: Gopher Football - 6/26/2020 1:31:26 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Who debunked it?

Politifact:
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jun/01/candace-owens/no-soros-and-foundation-do-not-pay-people-protest/

Reuters:
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-false-george-soros-claims/fact-checkfalseclaims-about-george-soros-idUSKBN23P2XJ

snopes, AP, Factcheck.org, etc. Take your pick. But this is fodder for politics. As Lynn said, back to Gopher football.

I never know if I can believe anything reported in the political arena. However, if this has been truly debunked it makes me happy. Paid protesters should not be a thing that exists at all.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12211
RE: Gopher Football - 6/30/2020 3:44:24 PM   
TJSweens

Gophers recruits appreciate P.J. Fleck's approach with pandemic, George Floyd's death shaking Minneapolis
The Gophers have landed 11 commitments since NCAA banned in-person recruiting because of COVID-19 concerns.

By Megan Ryan Star Tribune JUNE 29, 2020 — 9:42PM

Steven Ortiz Jr. sent a big paragraph to the Gophers’ 2021 recruiting class group chat after George Floyd’s killing in police custody.

“Love you guys all so much. I can’t wait to ride with you guys,” it read. “Don’t let this George Floyd incident reflect on you guys staying committed. Because it happens pretty much everywhere.”

Ortiz then shared an incident that happened in his native Arizona within days of Floyd’s May 25 death, a situation where a black DoorDash driver had a gun pulled on him while making a delivery. The other 15 members of the Gophers’ 2021 class — from Nebraska, Illinois, Ohio, Georgia, Indiana, Texas, Florida and Minnesota — could probably all share similar tragic, scary stories.

This class, though, seems to have already bonded together — with the Gophers and each other. And Floyd’s killing, along with the vast protesting and rioting that followed, hasn’t seemed to shake their commitment.

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck has excelled at recruiting during the coronavirus pandemic despite a moratorium on in-person visits through Aug. 31. Eleven recruits have committed to the program since those restrictions started, the majority without ever visiting campus or the state, including Ortiz.

One, Indiana defensive end Austin Booker, even committed five days after Floyd’s death, during the unrest’s peak.

Booker chose the Gophers after several virtual visits and conversations with current players, other recruits, Fleck and new defensive line coach Chad Wilt, who originally recruited him at Cincinnati. Booker said even though Floyd’s death happened just a few days before he officially committed, it didn’t make him second-guess his decision.

“They just felt like the school I was most comfortable with,” Booker said. “Day in, day out just talking with them on the phone.”

Fleck, who could not be reached to comment about his approach, shared how his team’s culture kept everyone together through the upheaval in the Twin Cities, Booker said.

Meanwhile, other programs showed signs of fracture. For example, a Florida State player called out coach Mike Norvell for lying about reaching out to each player to discuss Floyd’s death, something for which Norvell later apologized.

Fleck held off on a public statement for a week after Floyd died, instead taking that time to speak with all of his players, including the recruits. He also organized a group video chat with all the prospects and their parents.

“He was pretty much just telling us that … we’re safe and that our voices should be heard,” Ortiz said. “… He was just telling all of us, ‘Hey, guys, I don’t want this to affect you guys coming here.’ ”

After Fleck talked to the 2021 class, Ortiz asked a friend who’d committed to another Division I program if that coaching staff had done similarly. His friend told him he hadn’t heard anything yet. Ortiz said Fleck making talking to the recruits a priority spoke volumes to him.

That quality is what makes Fleck such a strong recruiter, according to college football recruiting analyst Tom Lemming. The Gophers’ 2021 class ranks 15th nationally and fifth in the Big Ten, per 247Sports.com, with four four-star prospects. Lemming said that while it’s still early, this could be the Gophers’ best class in 40 years.

At a recent event Lemming held in Chicago with 50 top underclass players in the area, almost all of them listed Minnesota on their questionnaires as a potential team, he said, a change from previous years. That’s likely a product of the momentum the Gophers built in Fleck’s third season in 2019, where the Gophers went 11-2 and finished No. 10 in the country.

A global pandemic hasn’t seemed to derail that. And Lemming doesn’t foresee the recent events in the Twin Cities disrupting it either.

“Nothing affects anything,” Lemming said. “… See even now, they’re still recruiting great, Minnesota. So they’ve got nothing to do with the police force. The ballplayers know once they visit the campus, the university’s got its own police force, and it’s a little bit different.

“If you’ve got good salesmen, which is what Minnesota has, it’s not going to affect them much at all.”

Two players have decommitted from the Gophers since Floyd’s death. Sam Jackson, a high school quarterback from Illinois whom the Gophers planned to use at a different position, switched to Purdue. Texas defensive end D’Marion Alexander reopened his recruiting, citing in his social media statement “recent situations” forcing him to re-evaluate what’s best for him. Alexander could not be reached for comment.

There’s still five-plus months left to fill out the rest of the 2021 class, which is also time for players to potentially change their minds and diminish what could be a defining class for the Gophers. But Booker said what happened to Floyd shouldn’t change recruits’ view of the program or Minneapolis.

“I feel like if they really liked Minnesota that much, then there won’t be a problem,” Booker said. “But if they asked me about it, then I would just reassure how Fleck knows how to keep his culture together at Minnesota. So there’s no problems, and all the players are safe and on the front lines helping out.”

Post #: 12212
RE: Gopher Football - 7/1/2020 9:41:59 AM   
Mr. Ed

And another one's and another one gone

another one bites the dust!

Ohio cornerback Tamarion Crumpley reopened his recruitment Tuesday.
The 6-foot, 175-pound three-star prospect announced his decision on social media. Crumpley originally committed to the Gophers on April 20, one of the many players to choose the Gophers during the moratorium on in-person recruiting amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The Gophers have had a few recent decommits: defensive end D'Marion Alexander last week, athlete Sam Jackson switched to Purdue in early June, and defensive tackle Albert Regis opened his recruitment at the end of May.
But the Gophers' 2021 class still has 15 members, ranking 15th nationally and fifth in the Big Ten, per 247Sports.com.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12213
RE: Gopher Football - 7/1/2020 10:02:44 AM   
TJSweens

When I saw all these kids committing after not even visiting the campus, I wondered if this would start to happen. I have a feeling the reputation of the Minneapolis police force in dealing with young black men probably has something to with it as well.

Post #: 12214
RE: Gopher Football - 7/1/2020 11:33:38 AM   
SoMnFan

We started to get nice things …
Then people came and took those things away …..
"you aren't allowed to have those"

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12215
RE: Gopher Football - 7/1/2020 1:28:02 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

We started to get nice things …
Then people came and took those things away …..
"you aren't allowed to have those"

Fifth best in conference now.

I like being top 3

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12216
RE: Gopher Football - 7/1/2020 5:41:00 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

The 6-foot, 175-pound three-star prospect announced his decision on social media. Crumpley originally committed to the Gophers on April 20, one of the many players to choose the Gophers during the moratorium on in-person recruiting amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The Gophers have had a few recent decommits: defensive end D'Marion Alexander last week, athlete Sam Jackson switched to Purdue in early June, and defensive tackle Albert Regis opened his recruitment at the end of May.
But the Gophers' 2021 class still has 15 members, ranking 15th nationally and fifth in the Big Ten, per 247Sports.com.

Weren't we at the peak 5th in the nation and 2nd in the big 10.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12217
RE: Gopher Football - 7/2/2020 8:16:43 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

People need to learn what the word commitment means.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 12218
RE: Gopher Football - 7/2/2020 9:21:26 AM   
Lynn G.

That's what I said - in a post about a month ago! Why do they even commit, if they're not actually read to, you know, commit?

Post #: 12219
RE: Gopher Football - 7/9/2020 4:07:01 PM   
Mr. Ed

Only conference games/matches in the Big 10 this fall

if we're spreading corona, we're only doing so in own conference settings!!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12220
RE: Gopher Football - 7/22/2020 10:06:41 AM   
SoMnFan

My big local boy on the Outland Trophy outlook pages this morning.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12221
RE: Gopher Football - 7/22/2020 10:14:49 AM   
TJSweens

A certain local brat may have exceeded your expectations?

Post #: 12222
RE: Gopher Football - 7/22/2020 10:44:20 AM   
SoMnFan

Certainly has
But I better clear up, never meant to disparage the kid or his demeanor
This is a throwback kid, he's truly a student first, who just happens top be huge
And he's taken his attributes and used them incredibly well.
You'll hear nothing but praise about this young man. Humble. respectful.
Will be fun to see this play out. Good news is, he will be successful and happy in his life, NFL or not.
My original worries about him were that he was really rather unimpressive as a HS athlete, other than size.
He's definitely added hard work and finish to his game. Love seeing it.
Ridiculous that he was the main blocker in HS for the kid who is all over the national news as the next big thing (Trey Lance)
How did this team not win state titles?

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12223
RE: Gopher Football - 7/22/2020 11:35:55 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Certainly has
But I better clear up, never meant to disparage the kid or his demeanor
This is a throwback kid, he's truly a student first, who just happens top be huge
And he's taken his attributes and used them incredibly well.
You'll hear nothing but praise about this young man. Humble. respectful.
Will be fun to see this play out. Good news is, he will be successful and happy in his life, NFL or not.
My original worries about him were that he was really rather unimpressive as a HS athlete, other than size.
He's definitely added hard work and finish to his game. Love seeing it.
Ridiculous that he was the main blocker in HS for the kid who is all over the national news as the next big thing (Trey Lance)
How did this team not win state titles?

Coaching??

Just a guess??

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12224
RE: Gopher Football - 7/22/2020 11:37:05 AM  2 votes
Mr. Ed

I'm more and more convinced the panic syndrome is going to axe college football

And the big kids will put the NFL season on ice because they don't want more guys to be infected.

And here I thought the NFL was smarter than MLB.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12225
Page:   <<   < prev  487 488 [489] 490 491   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  487 488 [489] 490 491   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode