Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

So, who's the MVP?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> So, who's the MVP? Page: <<   < prev  225 226 [227] 228 229   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So, who's the MVP? - 12/27/2011 3:20:45 PM   
Cheesehead Craig

Is the MVP going to be Rodgers with the insane TD/INT ratio (45/6, and tops in TD passes) for the team with the best record in football?

Or will it be Brees with the regular season passing yardage record and a 70% completion %?

I'll homer up and say it's going to be Rodgers. It's going to be a damn close vote though.
Post #: 5651
RE: So, who's the MVP? - 12/27/2011 3:25:12 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheesehead Craig

Is the MVP going to be Rodgers with the insane TD/INT ratio (45/6, and tops in TD passes) for the team with the best record in football?

Or will it be Brees with the regular season passing yardage record and a 70% completion %?

I'll homer up and say it's going to be Rodgers. It's going to be a damn close vote though.

They are both worthy...but I think Rodgers gets it.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 5652
RE: So, who's the MVP? - 12/27/2011 8:21:35 PM   
marty

I would hate to see Brees get it, as that would assure Rodgers outplays him in a playoff meeting.
Post #: 5653
RE: So, who's the MVP? - 12/27/2011 11:15:53 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I would hate to see Brees get it, as that would assure Rodgers outplays him in a playoff meeting.

You think MVP honors would be awarded prior to that hypothetical match up?
Post #: 5654
RE: So, who's the MVP? - 12/28/2011 7:33:02 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

You think MVP honors would be awarded prior to that hypothetical match up?

The MVP is based on the regular season, but I don't think it is announced until after the SB.

But in the stars if Rodgers is not meant to have the MVP then Karma (and the refs at Lamblow) will be sure to help Rodgers win the hyppothetical game.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 5655
RE: RE:NFL News - 1/2/2012 2:25:48 PM   
John Childress

g. Carson Palmer's season wasn't good enough to get the Raiders into the playoffs. Raiders without Palmer: 4-2. Raiders with Palmer: 4-6.

h. One more thing Hue Jackson has to figure out: Palmer's passer rating: 80.5; Campbell's, 84.1. A lot of that is Palmer learning on the fly, to be sure. But that just means there will be all the more pressure on Palmer to be a playoff quarterback in a weak division in 2012.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/01/01/week.17/index.html#ixzz1iKnheV5r

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 5656
RE: RE:NFL News - 1/6/2012 3:25:40 PM   
SoMnFan

Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith stayed in-house with his search for an offensive coordinator to replace recently departed Mike Martz by promoting former offensive line coach Mike Tice to the position.
"I'm excited to have Mike move into our offensive coordinator role," Smith said in a statement. "He has been a valuable member of our staff over the past two years and has an excellent track record in the NFL. He was very impressive in his job interview yesterday and shares the same vision I have for our offense moving forward. We want to be a strong running team with a big-play pass attack. Mike will call plays for us and continue to have an active role with our offensive line.
"To complete our staff we will be hiring a passing coordinator who will work with our quarterbacks and an offensive line coach."
Quarterbacks coach Shane Day left with Martz. As for Tice still working with the offensive line, defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli also works with the defensive line.
After Martz's spread attack, Tice promised to get back to a more traditional Bears offense.
"There will be a toughness about us. We are going to be a powerful run team and we're going to be able to mix in explosive pass plays," Tice said in a statement. "It will be important for us to utilize the talents of our players and exploit matchups each Sunday. We have athletes we can build with. I feel fortunate Lovie has placed the trust in me to help move us forward to a championship."
Tice, 52, joined the Bears in January 2010 after spending three years with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Despite Chicago fielding lesser talent and battling injuries on the offensive line, the unit performed reasonably well under his direction. The team lost two line starters in 2011, yet the Bears rushed for more than 2,000 yards for just the second time since 1990.
The Tennessee Titans requested permission last offseason to interview Tice for an offensive coordinator position. But the Bears immediately declined and rewarded Tice with a contract extension.
At the time, Tice told ESPNChicago.com he was "disappointed" he couldn't pursue the opportunity in Tennessee. Interestingly, the chance to direct an offense has come around once again for Tice.
A former head coach of the Minnesota Vikings (2001-05), Tice inherits an offense with a promising nucleus in quarterback Jay Cutler, running back Matt Forte and receiver Earl Bennett, but one that does lack some firepower.
During his tenure in Jacksonville, the Jaguars -- employing a smashmouth brand of football -- ranked among the league's best at running the ball. From 2006 to 2009, the Jaguars averaged a league-high 154 yards rushing in division games. From 2005 to 2009, the Jags led the NFL with a 138.3-yard rushing average in games on the road, including 127.1 yards per game in Tice's final season with the team.
An assistant head coach with the Jaguars, Tice played a major role in game-planning and putting together the team's offensive playbook.
Despite his intricate knowledge of the running game, Tice also has displayed the propensity to generate fireworks with the passing attack. Some believe Tice -- a former college quarterback and NFL tight end -- has never been an offensive playcaller. But at Minnesota, Tice called plays as offensive coordinator Scott Linehan -- now with Detroit -- transitioned into his new job.
Tice has shown a penchant for utilizing the deep passing game, which should jibe well with Cutler, who possesses one of the league's strongest arms.
The Vikings ranked in the top five in yardage during Tice's second and third seasons as coach and in the top 10 in terms of scoring in three years of his five-year tenure.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 5657
RE: RE:NFL News - 1/6/2012 3:31:19 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith stayed in-house with his search for an offensive coordinator to replace recently departed Mike Martz by promoting former offensive line coach Mike Tice to the position.
The Vikings ranked in the top five in yardage during Tice's second and third seasons as coach and in the top 10 in terms of scoring in three years of his five-year tenure.

yea, I wonder where purple porter is with all her sarcasm and her "never be a oc/head coach in the nfl ever again", crap....

I wish I was a "meathead" like Tice and "never worked" for as much money as much as he has...

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 5658
RE: RE:NFL News - 1/6/2012 4:32:38 PM   
Cheesehead Craig

I would think that Martz being gone and a more run-centric OC in Tice will help Forte decide to come back.
Post #: 5659
RE: RE:NFL News - 1/17/2012 11:21:23 AM   
David F.

Here's a link to Profootballfocus' article where they figured up the 'drop rate' for WR's. A nice quick read.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/17/drop-rate-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/
Post #: 5660
RE: RE:NFL News - 1/17/2012 12:45:47 PM   
SoMnFan

Couple great jobs available IMO
Miami, oakland, Tampa ....all have parts and are not that far away
Will be interesting to see who takes/gets these jobs.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 5661
RE: RE:NFL News - 1/22/2012 8:22:22 PM   
SoMnFan

Chip Kelly may take the Tampa Bay job?    Whoa!

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 5662
RE: RE:NFL News - 1/27/2012 4:10:16 PM   
David F.

Just heard it on NPR that the Cleveland Brown's offensive is about to become KICK ASS!

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5663
RE: RE:NFL News - 1/27/2012 5:52:52 PM   
SoMnFan

As if the poor people of Cleveland haven't suffered enough ......... I wouldn't wish that curse on anyone.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 5664
RE: RE:NFL News - 1/27/2012 5:59:57 PM   
David Levine

I really hope Cleveland doesn't end up with RGIII. I really like the kid.
Post #: 5665
RE: NFL News - 1/27/2012 8:07:30 PM   
Lynn G.

And Miami reached back into the past and hired Mike Sherman for their OC. Both Childress and Sherman interviewed for the head coach job there, but both settled for OC positions.

I always thought that Mike Sherman was a lot like Denny Green when Sherman coached for Green Bay. Did really well in the season but couldn't do squat in the post season.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 5666
RE: RE:NFL News - 1/30/2012 7:41:55 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

I really hope Cleveland doesn't end up with RGIII. I really like the kid.

Yep.  Bradley Childress will ruin him right quick.

Post #: 5667
RE: RE:NFL News - 2/3/2012 5:35:51 PM   
SoMnFan

Good ....

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NFL is increasing the number of Thursday night games so more of its teams can play in prime time.
Commissioner Roger Goodell said that there will be Thursday night games on the NFL Network from the second to the 15th week of the season, giving all of the league's teams a chance to appear in prime time on some outlet.
Those games will be in addition to the usual Sunday night and Monday night games, which tend to feature teams coming off good seasons.
"We think it's great for the fans, for the teams -- and great for the network," Goodell said.
Goodell revealed the television scheduling change at his state of the NFL news conference Friday.
He sidestepped a question about expanding the regular season schedule, saying it's something that would have to be evaluated along with the players.
Goodell also said the NFL will continue its work toward preventing concussions and other injuries and that what's been done so far is only a starting point.
Goodell said the league has done "a great deal" to make the game safer for players, and that will remain a priority. He said the league is "not done yet" and will not quit trying to make the game less dangerous for those who play it. The league is expanding its use of sideline TV replays to help doctors.
His comment came in response to an Associated Press story quoting a dozen former players who believe there was a culture of indifference toward concussions and other injuries in the NFL.
Goodell noted that the league has set aside a lot of money to help retired players.
Goodell further said he would like to see the NFL playing another regular season game in Mexico and that the league has a strategy to make the game "more successful on a global basis." The Rams and Patriots will play in London next season as part of that approach.
Asked about playing games in Latin America, Goodell said there's a great deal of interest there and he would like to get back to playing a regular season game in Mexico. He said it's "something we'd like to get done sooner than later."
Goodell said there are current discussions about setting up another game in Mexico.
The NFL Players Association has concerns about playing games in London and how the travel will affect players.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 5668
RE: RE:NFL News - 3/6/2012 10:29:01 PM   
SoMnFan

Lots of noise about Moss's try-out with the Saints today.
Sounds like he's not done.
Will be fun to watch, as Randy always is ...

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 5669
RE: RE:NFL News - 3/8/2012 3:33:54 PM   
SoMnFan

As usual, Peyton Manning handles a tough situation with some of the greatest class and poise possible.
I've really grown to admire that dude thru the years.
Didn't much care one way or the other about him early on in his career, but the league needs a hell of a lot more guys like him.
Self-made HOFer on and off the field, imo.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 5670
RE: RE:NFL News - 3/8/2012 4:13:29 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

As usual, Peyton Manning handles a tough situation with some of the greatest class and poise possible.
I've really grown to admire that dude thru the years.
Didn't much care one way or the other about him early on in his career, but the league needs a hell of a lot more guys like him.
Self-made HOFer on and off the field, imo.

I agree.

Was watching him though...he was shaky but held it together. I respect that. Cares enough that you can see the emotion. Strong enough to stay in check.
Post #: 5671
RE: RE:NFL News - 3/8/2012 4:22:03 PM   
SoMnFan

Gotta admit (you know how shallow I am) ... his biggest boost in my eyes came from his SNL work.
Guy killed it on there.
Self-deprecating humor wins me over, big time. The guy has a future in anything he wants to go into.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 5672
RE: RE:NFL News - 3/8/2012 4:32:38 PM   
Todd M

As a fellow shallow bastard and self-depreciating humor fan I gotta agree.

I didn't say I was a bastard
Post #: 5673
RE: NFL News - 3/8/2012 4:48:17 PM   
Lynn G.

I agree on the self-deprecating humor. Many of his commercials are like that too (standing outside the restaurant cheering the wait staff when they get off work, cheering the butcher, etc.)

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 5674
RE: NFL News - 3/8/2012 5:11:30 PM   
SoMnFan

Guy is the least dumb-jock-sounding guy going right now.
He's quick on a joke and doesn't sound coached or stiff.
The Papa Johns thing during the playoffs where he talks about "hey, guys gotta work .." was great.
Loved those other ones too Lynn .... "cut that meat! Cut that meat!"
Being hard on the kids during their flag fb game on SNL was the best, tho ... "hey ... is that your Mom?"  

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 5675
Page:   <<   < prev  225 226 [227] 228 229   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> So, who's the MVP? Page: <<   < prev  225 226 [227] 228 229   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode