Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2016 10:12:12 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

I also hear ya on Alabama, but again, don't agree. 3 other teams in their conference won titles in the last 10 years. One of which happened against your Ducks. It's not like you can just ignore that happened.

It helped during the BCS era, you had to have the SEC champ in the title game every year.
Post #: 2926
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2016 6:57:18 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

quote:

I also hear ya on Alabama, but again, don't agree. 3 other teams in their conference won titles in the last 10 years. One of which happened against your Ducks. It's not like you can just ignore that happened.

It helped during the BCS era, you had to have the SEC champ in the title game every year.

But can you argue that those teams weren't deserving when they mostly dominated? Of the SEC title games, they only lost to Florida State, on a last minute score, and the only other games that have been close are the Oregon/Auburn game and Alabama/Clemson. So if the SEC wasn't deserving, then the nation missed even bigger on the "#2" team in those years apparently. Take a look:

2007: Florida-Ohio State: 41-14
2008: LSU-Ohio State: 38-24
2009: Alabama-Texas: 37-21
2010: Auburn-Oregon: 22-19
2011: Alabama-LSU: 21-0
2012: Alabama-Notre Dame: 42-14
2013: Florida State-Auburn: 34-31
2014: Ohio State-Oregon: 42-20 (it should be noted that Ohio State beat Alabama 42-35 and Alabama led by 15 in the game)
2015: Alabama-Clemson: 45-40

Again, I get that people dislike the SEC and are tired of them, etc. I'm a bit the same. But I just never get an argument against their dominance over this period. Yes, Alabama has led the charge, but there are 3 other schools in the conference that have won the title over that time, 4 total. No other conference has more than 1.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2927
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2016 7:06:04 PM   
Ed_Marotske

Do SEC coaches all get paid a ton of money? If--according to the NCAA--football and other sports offer relatively small amounts of revenue. Again, this according to the NCAA,,,why is there not some type of system in place where these college cant pay these coaches as much as they do? Of course I do not believe the NCAA and think that major programs like Alabama reap huge revenues.

The reason I bring this up is you have schools like Alabama who pay their HC a small fortune and pay the assistants handsomely as well. Why can't a school like Wisconsin pay their assistant coaches enough to keep them there? I'm calling out Barry freaking Alverez on this.....
Post #: 2928
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2016 7:34:10 PM   
djskillz

I don't think anyone has limits. Harbaugh and Urban Meyer make plenty of money. So does Jimbo Fisher. So does Charlie Strong. Or Art Briles.

You gotta pay to get the best. And honestly, guys like Saban or Urban Meyer are bargains if you do the math. Saban makes, what, $8M/year? An "average" coach in a big program makes, what, $2M? How much money do you think Saban makes Alabama annually? Donations, ticket sales, enrollment, larger TV cut for SEC,"free" marketing, etc. $60M? $70M? Ditto for guys like Meyer, etc. It's sure a heck of a lot more than a $6M difference. If anything I think those guys are underpaid relative to the market and what they bring in.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2929
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/14/2016 8:57:04 AM   
Bill Jandro

I think the reason why SEC schools have won so many titles is because they always have a team in the game.

In 2011 they had two schools in the title game.

I think that might change a bit going forward with a playoff provided they expand it. But if they get two or three teams in an eight team playoff their odds are still good/better than any other conference.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2930
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/14/2016 9:53:33 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I think the reason why SEC schools have won so many titles is because they always have a team in the game.

I think that might change a bit going forward with a playoff provided they expand it. But if they get two or three teams in an eight team playoff their odds are still good/better than any other conference.

Maybe other conferences should field better football teams. That will even it up.
Post #: 2931
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/14/2016 10:07:30 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Maybe other conferences should field better football teams. That will even it up.

Wow captain obvious. You add so much to the conversation with your one liners.

Post #: 2932
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/14/2016 5:31:35 PM   
djskillz

quote:

See above. I don't really see any evidence that those teams shouldn't have been in those games, seeing as for the most part they dominated the other team in those games. Perhaps critiques should be leveled at the inclusion of those other teams?

Post #: 2933
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/14/2016 6:25:29 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

See above. I don't really see any evidence that those teams shouldn't have been in those games, seeing as for the most part they dominated the other team in those games. Perhaps critiques should be leveled at the inclusion of those other teams?

SEC won mostly so I agree it's hard to argue they shouldn't be there.

Post #: 2934
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/14/2016 7:19:02 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wow captain obvious. You add so much to the conversation with your one liners.

Seemed like it needed to be said.
Post #: 2935
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/26/2016 12:05:45 PM   
Bill Jandro

Florida State agrees to pay Winston accuser $950,000 to settle suit

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/01/25/florida-state-settles-title-ix-lawsuit-erica-kinsman-jameis-winston/79299304/

That is a lot of Cabbage

Post #: 2936
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/27/2016 7:07:22 AM   
eagleflorida

quote:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/01/25/florida-state-settles-title-ix-lawsuit-erica-kinsman-jameis-winston/79299304/

That is a lot of Cabbage

According to my local FL paper this a.m. the FSU boosters organization will pay $1.3 million of the university's $1.7 million legal fees. And the state's Risk Management Fund will pay the remainder AND the $950,000 settlement to Erica Kinsman the alleged rape victim and her attorneys.

Nice sweet setup huh?
Post #: 2937
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/27/2016 10:55:05 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: eagleflorida

quote:

That is a lot of Cabbage

According to my local FL paper this a.m. the FSU boosters organization will pay $1.3 million of the university's $1.7 million legal fees. And the state's Risk Management Fund will pay the remainder AND the $950,000 settlement to Erica Kinsman the alleged rape victim and her attorneys.

Nice sweet setup huh?

I wouldn't call it sweet of she was actually raped, which is somewhere btwn possible and probable
Post #: 2938
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/27/2016 1:22:42 PM  1 votes
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

That is a lot of Cabbage

Nice sweet setup huh?

I wouldn't call it sweet of she was actually raped, which is somewhere btwn possible and probable

Pretty sure that's not the "sweet setup" Eagle is referring to.
Post #: 2939
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/27/2016 3:20:30 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

That is a lot of Cabbage

Nice sweet setup huh?

Pretty sure that's not the "sweet setup" Eagle is referring to.

I see what you're saying. I feel even dirtier now.....
Post #: 2940
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/3/2016 6:19:31 PM   
Steve Lentz

Wisconsin beats LSU.

I feel like crap no matter which team won. Nice win for the Big 10. Now I'm going to wash my mouth out with soap.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 2941
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/3/2016 6:38:37 PM   
drew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Wisconsin beats LSU.

I feel like crap no matter which team won. Nice win for the Big 10. Now I'm going to wash my mouth out with soap.

Did not see that one coming. Wisconsin's QB is pretty nice, and LSU probably didn't bring their best game today. Like you said, good win for the B1G.

Houston vs. OU was fun too. 2 of the top 5 lose in the first weekend. Great to see college football back!
Post #: 2942
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/3/2016 6:46:25 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: drew

quote:

Wisconsin beats LSU.

Did not see that one coming. Wisconsin's QB is pretty nice, and LSU probably didn't bring their best game today. Like you said, good win for the B1G.

Houston vs. OU was fun too. 2 of the top 5 lose in the first weekend. Great to see college football back!

Some were picking OU as the National Champ. I suppose it could still happen, but that was a big upset.

Post #: 2943
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/3/2016 6:47:07 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wisconsin beats LSU.

Some were picking OU as the National Champ. I suppose it could still happen, but that was a big upset.

(raises hand meekly)
I thought this was THE year for my Sooners.

Nope.
Post #: 2944
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/3/2016 8:27:29 PM   
drew

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wisconsin beats LSU.

(raises hand meekly)
I thought this was THE year for my Sooners.

Nope.

Luckily for them, if they win out they still have a likely chance to make it. Beating the Buckeyes and winning the Big 12 should be enough to get in.

By the way, how awesome is this opening weekend? So many big programs teeing off on each other. Flipping between Bama-SC and Clemson-Auburn right now. And, SDSU is giving TCU a run for their money!!!
Post #: 2945
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/4/2016 11:17:51 AM   
Steve Lentz

Bama looked dominating again.
Wisconsin will probably be rated top 5 this week.
Going to be another very interesting year.

Post #: 2946
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/4/2016 11:22:36 AM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wisconsin beats LSU.

Houston is a really, really good football team.
Post #: 2947
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/4/2016 11:24:32 AM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

Wisconsin beats LSU.

Harris is the weakest part of LSU. Even with all the great athletes they have, and Fournette at RB, it's still going to be difficult to win games when your QB is that bad.
Post #: 2948
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/4/2016 11:29:02 AM   
JT2

quote:

If Alabama gets that type of play from their offense every week, they are going to be very difficult to beat.
Post #: 2949
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/4/2016 11:31:49 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

If Alabama gets that type of play from their offense every week, they are going to be very difficult to beat.

They looked like grown ass men playing. Ohio State might be too young, but I don't count them out.

Post #: 2950
Page:   <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode