Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  115 116 [117] 118 119   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/6/2015 12:02:51 AM   
Ricky J

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 1/2/2016 8:37:58 AM >
Post #: 2901
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/6/2015 8:14:05 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Iowa gave it their all.

Hats off to them.
Seriously, a year ago they were shit-awful and I loved it.
They damn-near made a bid to be in the running for a national championship, in one short year.
One helluva fast rise.

I had bet on Sparty to win by "at least 20"
whoopsie.
Post #: 2902
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/6/2015 12:05:07 PM   
SoMnFan

Happy that "my horse" made the final four.
Boomer, Sooners!
Post #: 2903
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/6/2015 12:14:39 PM   
SoMnFan

According to the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook:

â– Oklahoma favored by 2.5 vs. Clemson
â– Alabama favored by 9 vs. Michigan State
Post #: 2904
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/1/2016 12:38:26 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Jaylon Smith (ND) just lost a lot of money this year. Pretty sure he just blew his knee out. Would have been, most likely, a top 10 pick.
Post #: 2905
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/1/2016 10:35:44 PM   
DavidAOlson

Pending a medical evaluation, Smith might be worth a late first round pick, if he just misses his first season. Myles Jack is another injured premier LB who might drop.

Watching Treadwell (WR, Ole Miss)... it'd be nice to trade up for him cheaply. Won't happen, but...

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 2906
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/1/2016 10:41:12 PM   
David Levine

I've seen some sites projecting Jack at safety. That would be more appealing to me.

How often do we play 3 LBers anymore? How sits for over half the game? Barr, Kendricks or Jack?
Post #: 2907
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/2/2016 1:41:54 AM   
69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

Pending a medical evaluation, Smith might be worth a late first round pick, if he just misses his first season. Myles Jack is another injured premier LB who might drop.

Watching Treadwell (WR, Ole Miss)... it'd be nice to trade up for him cheaply. Won't happen, but...

IMO;Pretty early to be saying Treadwell will be going before we pick. He's a really good, but not a dominant receiver. Also, he's already had an ACL repair.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 2908
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/2/2016 12:30:18 PM   
Bruce Johnson

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25434699/who-helped-hurt-nfl-stock-in-new-years-day-bowl-games

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2909
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/2/2016 9:37:01 PM   
DavidAOlson

Anybody else accidentally left the Oregon/TCU game on? Oregon 31-0 in the first half. Now 2 minutes left after Oregon did a horrendous job of running out clock, and TCU has the ball, down 31-28, 40 yards from the TD to win. Pretty amazing game.

p.s. TCU FG to tie game. Both teams score TD in first overtime, both make XP.

p.s. Both FG in the second overtime, 41-41.

p.p.s. TCU scores TD, decides to go for 2, but misses. Then the defense makes some great plays, bad snap (Oregon's backup center has had issues in second half), another great play, and TCU wins.

< Message edited by DavidAOlson -- 1/2/2016 10:03:23 PM >

Post #: 2910
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/2/2016 10:16:38 PM   
69in09

quote:

Anybody else accidentally left the Oregon/TCU game on? Oregon 31-0 in the first half. Now 2 minutes left after Oregon did a horrendous job of running out clock, and TCU has the ball, down 31-28, 40 yards from the TD to win. Pretty amazing game.

Great game, especially after all the duds the last couple of days.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 2911
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/2/2016 10:18:05 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: 69in09

quote:

Great game, especially after all the duds the last couple of days.

Looked like a dud at halftime!

Post #: 2912
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2016 8:40:02 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

I've seen some sites projecting Jack at safety. That would be more appealing to me.

How often do we play 3 LBers anymore? How sits for over half the game? Barr, Kendricks or Jack?

Agree. We have enough LB's and need to focus on the Oline

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2913
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2016 9:00:19 AM   
Ricky J

Stinking Oregon. I would of won my picks pool if they would of held on. Now I can be tied if we pick opp. and I lose.
Post #: 2914
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/12/2016 12:04:07 AM   
djskillz

Great game. Heck of an effort from Clemson. Was sort of rooting for Dabo, but Saban is just unreal. Best ever, and it's not all that close IMO. Think about it; he's won a title in 5 of his last 10 years coaching college football. And easily could have had 2 more in that timeframe as well. In the toughest conference ever. In the toughest era ever. Unreal.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2915
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/12/2016 1:17:57 AM   
JT2

It was a good good game. Wasn't pleased with the outcome, but enjoyed it.

Dabo has done a remarkable job with that program, coaching and recruiting.

No need to have a Combine, just scout this game. Lots of future NFL'ers in this one.

The speed and athleticism in this game is off the charts. Clemson has become like a SEC team.
Post #: 2916
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/12/2016 8:44:20 AM   
djskillz

Agree, Pete. Really fun to watch. It's interesting to see these SEC guys (Dabo/Urban) and bring their SEC recruiting and physicality to other conferences. Makes the game as a whole better.

Watson is going to be a good one. And Gallman's strength on a lot of plays was impressive as hell. Kind of reminded me of the "good" version of Percy. We may get a rematch of this one next year.

Had a buddy that made $600 on Alabama last night; bet on them at 8 to 1 odds at the beginning of the year (I wish I had made that bet) but also hedged it for the championship game with Clemson at +205.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2917
save for draft thread - 1/12/2016 2:06:11 PM   
Todd M

IDK...scouting isn't that hard.

Hours spent watching games, tape, studying stats...who got time for dat?

Took 5 minutes and found our possession receiver:

De'Runnya Wilson. Projected 3rd round pick.
6-4 / 215 LBS

Wilson has the size scouts are looking for, as well as the natural catching radius and leaping ability to continue his effectiveness as a red zone target in the NFL. For a big receiver, he's surprisingly quick off the snap, rolling off the line of scrimmage to force cornerbacks on their heels. Wilson can sink his hips and work back to the quarterback to create separation and he shows soft hands and good hand-eye coordination to snatch the ball out of the air.

And our compliment to Jet:
Devon Jonson. Projected late round pick.
6-1 243 LBS

Takes pride in his ability to block. Alert and physical, bringing his hips to punish rushers, rather than simply catching them.
Former tight end with soft hands and enough body control to adjust to poorly thrown passes and keep his feet.

Got the two I want. Done.
Post #: 2918
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/12/2016 2:17:06 PM  1 votes
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Great game. Heck of an effort from Clemson. Was sort of rooting for Dabo, but Saban is just unreal. Best ever, and it's not all that close IMO. Think about it; he's won a title in 5 of his last 10 years coaching college football. And easily could have had 2 more in that timeframe as well. In the toughest conference ever. In the toughest era ever. Unreal.

Such a Millenial thing to say.
Best Ever, Toughest Ever.
Also such a Fanboy!

Read a History Book Skilz.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 2919
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/12/2016 3:20:31 PM   
djskillz

First of all; I'm not a millenial, as you know.

Secondly, I know you hate the SEC and Saban. You got a good argument for someone better? I know all about the history, and follow it. I think the only argument against him is Bear Bryant. What Saban has done, in a tougher era, is much more impressive than what Bryant did IMO. And he's won at 2 schools.

There's much more money in the sport now, and much more overall talent. Now there are 40 "good" teams, not 10, etc. I would make the same argument for Coach K vs. Wooden, but Wooden was much more dominant in his era than Bryant in his IMO. So I always think of Coach K and Wooden as about equals; equally impressive given their eras/competition.

Again, who you arguing for over Saban? And who are you arguing for as a tougher overall conference in history than the SEC over the last 10 years or so? There have been FOUR different schools in the conference that have won a national title in a 10 year period. I'm pretty confident no other conference in history has matched that.

Post #: 2920
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/12/2016 5:21:29 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

First of all; I'm not a millenial, as you know.

Secondly, I know you hate the SEC and Saban. You got a good argument for someone better? I know all about the history, and follow it. I think the only argument against him is Bear Bryant. What Saban has done, in a tougher era, is much more impressive than what Bryant did IMO. And he's won at 2 schools.

There's much more money in the sport now, and much more overall talent. Now there are 40 "good" teams, not 10, etc. I would make the same argument for Coach K vs. Wooden, but Wooden was much more dominant in his era than Bryant in his IMO. So I always think of Coach K and Wooden as about equals; equally impressive given their eras/competition.

Again, who you arguing for over Saban? And who are you arguing for as a tougher overall conference in history than the SEC over the last 10 years or so? There have been FOUR different schools in the conference that have won a national title in a 10 year period. I'm pretty confident no other conference in history has matched that.

First of all,
Thank you for repeating all of the soundbites that are being used today in all media formats.
That and the fact that you love Duke, the Lakers, the SEC, and Alabama, along with to a lesser extent the Patriots, and the Twins, who did win it twice during your formative years, tells me you don't have a whole lot of original thoughts or opinions.

Much easier to just side with the Champions.
Follwing the Vikings must be painful.

Post #: 2921
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/12/2016 7:11:30 PM   
djskillz

Nothing you said refutes anything I said about Saban. Because you can't. Just because a lot of people are saying it doesn't mean it isn't true.

I'm loyal to a fault. Couldn't be further from a bandwagon fan. I've loved every one of my teams for 30+ years and will (God willing) love them for another 60, good times and bad. I've been a Minnesota sports fan all my life (Twins and Vikings). When I started loving basketball, the TWolves weren't around, and in the 80's to a large extent you were Lakers or Celtics. I was a HUGE Magic fan and have never been able to give them up. Attended many, many games when I lived in LA. Will still root for the TWolves, but like I said, I'm loyal. And the Lakers' history is from Minnesota anyway. Duke I've also loved all my life and was dead-set on attending there until I spent a few days in Malibu that changed my mind. The fact that the 2 best players in Alaska history also went there, one of which I played against, only added fuel to the fire. I'm lucky as hell that I like Duke and the Lakers because they help ease the pain of the Twins and Vikings.

I don't "love" any of the Patriots, Alabama (was actually rooting for Dabo last night), or the Spurs. I just respect the hell out of them and what they've done. That's ALL. I think to not respect what any of those 3 have done (or Duke/Coach K for that matter) shows extreme bias. All 4 of those coaches are clearly in the conversation for best ever in their respective sports. That's not even up for debate IMO. I also don't love the SEC at all; I just respect what they've accomplished. And that is not a "millenial" thing to say, which again, I am not one anyway. But hey, I appreciate you once again bringing some weird personal beef with me to the board instead of discussing the topic.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 1/12/2016 7:12:36 PM >

Post #: 2922
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/12/2016 7:49:54 PM   
McMurfy

Forgive my bitterness, as a Viking and Oregon fan, I'm 0-6.
As a Timberwolves Fan, well nothing needs to be said.

As a Twins Fan, I'm losing my patience.

Even UND hockey has been letting me down lately.

I think Saban is the best of his Era, whether that means the best ever, who knows.
I just don't like when proclamtions are made that way.

I also think Alabama has been excellent, not sure why the whole conference thinks it's cool to ride the coattails.

The nice thing is, I get older, I enjoy the games more than the outcomes.

Last night was a great game.

Post #: 2923
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/12/2016 8:17:22 PM   
djskillz

I hear ya man.

No doubt it's been tough for our MN teams. Like I said, I've been lucky in liking the Lakers and Duke, though even that (Lakers) is tough right now. Duke's title last year made up for a few very rough sports years. Even my Waves are way down.

As for the rankings, I guess to me it's not a big deal to say things like that. Part of the fun is having those debates about current guys, etc. In all of sports. So it's no different to me (though more difficult of course) to compare across eras. And in the cases of those 4 dudes (Coach K/Saban/Belichek/Pop) there's really no contemporary argument, except "maybe" Urban Meyer for Saban. So you almost have to talk about all-time to have an interesting debate. That's all it is to me. Just tough to deny the greatness in any of those cases, as crazy as it sounds. The problem I have is with statements about very small windows; the Warriors, Seattle, etc. None of those 4 guys mentioned fit in that category. Very long sustained greatness for all 4; that's the difference.

I also hear ya on Alabama, but again, don't agree. 3 other teams in their conference won titles in the last 10 years. One of which happened against your Ducks. It's not like you can just ignore that happened.

Overall I'm with you though, especially in college football for me. I just like good games. I "root" for the Gophers, but am under no illusions of them every being relevant again. And my university didn't have a football team. So I'll just enjoy good games from other teams.

Post #: 2924
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2016 1:42:35 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

Agree, Pete. Really fun to watch. It's interesting to see these SEC guys (Dabo/Urban) and bring their SEC recruiting and physicality to other conferences. Makes the game as a whole better.

Watson is going to be a good one. And Gallman's strength on a lot of plays was impressive as hell. Kind of reminded me of the "good" version of Percy. We may get a rematch of this one next year.

Had a buddy that made $600 on Alabama last night; bet on them at 8 to 1 odds at the beginning of the year (I wish I had made that bet) but also hedged it for the championship game with Clemson at +205.

Second year in a row you could have gotten decent value after a team loses a game in September.
Post #: 2925
Page:   <<   < prev  115 116 [117] 118 119   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  115 116 [117] 118 119   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode