Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 2:12:20 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

USC is falling apart.
They haven't seen a QB like this.

Neither has Penn State

He's been superb. Both teams have a bright future.

Hell of a game, lots of players

Clearly the best game of the year. Cancel the title game.

We might see some defense in Title Game.

pac12-ites don't consider that "real" football.

Again, you seem to be missing the big picture. The Pac 12 teams appear to play no defense because the conference is loaded with great quarterbacks every year. However, when you look at the NFL, many of the best defensive players at their positions are from the Pac 12. Terrell Suggs, Richard Sherman, Anthony Barr, Clay Matthews, etc....

Perception is not always reality.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 3301
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 2:19:46 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

USC is falling apart.

Neither has Penn State

Again, you seem to be missing the big picture. The Pac 12 teams appear to play no defense because the conference is loaded with great quarterbacks every year. However, when you look at the NFL, many of the best defensive players at their positions are from the Pac 12. Terrell Suggs, Richard Sherman, Anthony Barr, Clay Matthews, etc....

Really? Just off the top of my head on the offensive side:
QB: Brady (Big Ten)
RB: Elliot (Big Ten), Leveon Bell (Big Ten)
OT: Joe Thomas (Big Ten)

Defensive side: Bosa, Shazier, Suh

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/3/2017 2:23:14 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3302
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 2:24:26 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

USC is falling apart.

Neither has Penn State

Really? Just off the top of my head:

Everyone can play that game. Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Tyron Smith, you name it.

I said defensive players.

For what it's worth, nine of the 32 starting QB's at the end of the year were from the Pac 12. Two more were from West Coast conferences that play a similar style of ball (Kaepernick (NV) & Carr (Fresno St.). You can actually add another in Matt Moore, who finished as Miami's starter.

Conversely, the Big Ten had five starters at the end of the season despite having 14 teams in the conference.

When was the last time Minnesota, Ohio State, Rutgers, Maryland, Iowa, Penn State, Nebraska, Illinois or Indiana ever produced anything good at quarterback. Purdue has had one in Brees. Wisconsin got lucky when they rented Wilson for a year.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/3/2017 2:45:29 PM >

Post #: 3303
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 2:41:06 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

USC is falling apart.

Neither has Penn State

Everyone can play that game. Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Tyron Smith, you name it.

For what it's worth, nine of the 32 starting QB's at the end of the year were from the Pac 12. Two more were from West Coast conferences that play a similar style of ball (Kaepernick (NV) & Carr (Fresno St.). You can actually add another in Matt Moore, who finished as Miami's starter.

Conversely, the Big Ten had five starters at the end of the season despite having 14 teams in the conference.

Look at what you stated.....many of the best defensive players at their positions are from the Pac 12 There are many from the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac 12, Big 12, etc.....but is that a surprise to anyone? Nope. You just list the Pac 12....lol

Post #: 3304
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 2:42:33 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

USC is falling apart.

Neither has Penn State

Look at what you stated.....many of the best defensive players at their positions are from the Pac 12 There are many from the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac 12, Big 12, etc.....but is that a surprise to anyone? Nope. You just list the Pac 12....lol

When was the last time Minnesota, Ohio State, Rutgers, Maryland, Iowa, Penn State, Nebraska, Illinois or Indiana ever produced anything good at quarterback. Purdue has had one in Brees. Wisconsin got lucky when they rented Wilson for a year. Outside of that, it is slim pickins. Even Brady was a late draft pick. It is a muck and grind style of ball, which makes defenses and running backs look good.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/3/2017 2:45:14 PM >

Post #: 3305
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 2:56:18 PM   
Phil Riewer

Funny I don't see a Pac 12 or Big Ten team in the final and it doesn't bother me one bit. I sure didn't call your conference any names (which I could easily do).....

Any way....Cousins isn't such a bad add to your Big 10 QB list. Semien is from Northwestern. Ricki Stanzi (Hawkeyes) is a backup for the Lions. Hackenburg (Penn St) is with the Jets. Drew Stanton (MSU) is with the Arz Cardinals.

I see how you didn't include some of the Big Ten colleges in your list....sneaky and typical.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/3/2017 2:57:36 PM >

Post #: 3306
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 3:51:54 PM   
Brad H

quote:

Funny I don't see a Pac 12 or Big Ten team in the final and it doesn't bother me one bit. I sure didn't call your conference any names (which I could easily do).....

Any way....Cousins isn't such a bad add to your Big 10 QB list. Semien is from Northwestern. Ricki Stanzi (Hawkeyes) is a backup for the Lions. Hackenburg (Penn St) is with the Jets. Drew Stanton (MSU) is with the Arz Cardinals.

I see how you didn't include some of the Big Ten colleges in your list....sneaky and typical.

Yea, because of course Stanzi, Hackenburg and Stanton are household names. Can't imagine how I overlooked those guys? I'm sure there must be another 10-15 that had a cup of coffee with a team.

Post #: 3307
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 4:03:01 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

What would you call it?
12 teams-Pac-12

Not 14 Teams -Big 10.
Yeah, that brand was so valuable.

Or would you rather the Legends and the Leaders?

That was so well received.

I'll say this for the Pac-12, we won the Rose Bowl.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 3308
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 4:09:41 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

What would you call it?
12 teams-Pac-12
Not 14 Teams -Big 10.

LOL---so? Rose Bowl means nothing anymore. It is Bama vs Clemson....top 2 teams in the country the last 2 years. Pac 12 and Big Ten were relevant in 2014....& Ohio State beat Oregon. I am a U of M guy and a Big Ten guy but I could care less if the Big Ten or Pac 12 wins the National Championship.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/3/2017 4:19:46 PM >

Post #: 3309
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 4:18:56 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Yea, because of course Stanzi, Hackenburg and Stanton are household names. Can't imagine how I overlooked those guys? I'm sure there must be another 10-15 that had a cup of coffee with a team.

I thought you said none of the QBs from the Big Ten could be in the NFL though? Stanzi and Hackenburg are rookies too. Semien 2nd year. Maybe it isn't such a muck and grind conference. Cardale Jones is on the Bills too....hmmm.

Eventually you will see the Pac 12 isn't any better than the other Power Conferences. Same applies to the Big Ten.

Post #: 3310
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 4:29:35 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

USC is falling apart.

Neither has Penn State

Yep, those Big Ten defenses sure brought it in the bowl games. Michigan gives up 33. Ohio State 31. Penn State 52.

Like I have been saying for a month, the Big Ten defenses looked great this season because they play in a conference with no quarterbacks. Penn State was the only club with a halfway decent quarterback and they used it to win the Big Ten title.

I'm not a Big 10 guy.

Don't really have a horse in this fight but reality says the SEC plays the best defense.

If Alabama played USC on neutral site, probably 45-24 Alabama with them controlling the ball for 60-65% of the game.
Post #: 3311
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 4:57:22 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

What would you call it?
12 teams-Pac-12
Not 14 Teams -Big 10.

LOL---so? Rose Bowl means nothing anymore. It is Bama vs Clemson....top 2 teams in the country the last 2 years. Pac 12 and Big Ten were relevant in 2014....& Ohio State beat Oregon. I am a U of M guy and a Big Ten guy but I could care less if the Big Ten or Pac 12 wins the National Championship.

Bama vs. Clemson means almost nothing to me. The chances of me watching are 50/50. Growing up in the Midwest and then moving west, the Rose Bowl has always been the most important bowl game. It has somewhat softened since other conferences started playing in the game because of the ridiculous BCS and playoff formats.

Like I said yesterday, I would prefer we go back to the format we had 20 years ago unless they make it a 16-team playoff format.

Post #: 3312
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 4:58:44 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought you said none of the QBs from the Big Ten could be in the NFL though? Stanzi and Hackenburg are rookies too. Semien 2nd year. Maybe it isn't such a muck and grind conference. Cardale Jones is on the Bills too....hmmm.

Eventually you will see the Pac 12 isn't any better than the other Power Conferences. Same applies to the Big Ten.

You need to read a little closer.

Post #: 3313
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 5:01:19 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

USC is falling apart.

Neither has Penn State

Yep, those Big Ten defenses sure brought it in the bowl games. Michigan gives up 33. Ohio State 31. Penn State 52.

Like I have been saying for a month, the Big Ten defenses looked great this season because they play in a conference with no quarterbacks. Penn State was the only club with a halfway decent quarterback and they used it to win the Big Ten title.

I'm not a Big 10 guy.

Don't really have a horse in this fight but reality says the SEC plays the best defense.

If Alabama played USC on neutral site, probably 45-24 Alabama with them controlling the ball for 60-65% of the game.

Maybe. Maybe not. They said the same when Oregon played Auburn in 2011 and it came down a last second field goal, 22-19. They said the same in 2009 when USC boat-raced Oklahoma, 55-19.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/3/2017 5:09:06 PM >

Post #: 3314
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 5:18:38 PM   
Brad H

Here's the reality. The perceived best conference in America this season went 3-6 in bowl games, with wins over Western Michigan, Washington State and Pittsburgh. The so-called three great teams they had went 0-3.

Post #: 3315
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 7:20:43 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

USC is falling apart.

Neither has Penn State

Stop!
You also said Penn State was a fraud and that USC would rout them. You really need to go back and read some of your posts.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 3316
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 9:12:50 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

USC is falling apart.

Neither has Penn State

Stop!
You also said Penn State was a fraud and that USC would rout them. You really need to go back and read some of your posts.

Get ready for a ref post.
Post #: 3317
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 9:47:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It's too early yet to get into the NFL draft, but I was wondering if it is clear when our first pick will be as of now. (in the second round)

Wait. Here it is. #46. This site has us picking a running back from Texas. I'm not going to check out how good he is. Too early. Anyway, like I said, I just wanted a handle on how long we have to wait in the draft.

http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2017/round2/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3318
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 9:54:30 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

It's too early yet to get into the NFL draft, but I was wondering if it is clear when our first pick will be as of now. (in the second round)

Wait. Here it is. #46. This site has us picking a running back from Texas. I'm not going to check out how good he is. Too early. Anyway, like I said, I just wanted a handle on how long we have to wait in the draft.

http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2017/round2/

He has a nice last name but no to RB at #46.

Unless his name is Dalvin Cook.
Post #: 3319
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/3/2017 10:18:59 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

USC is falling apart.

Neither has Penn State

Stop!

The refs kept the game close. It was a total debacle from a ref standpoint. Penn State had five scores aided by the refs. If the refs were even close to even it would have been a four-score game.

USC overcame the worst refereed game I have seen in 30 years, and still won. They could have had 800 yards of offense if they wanted. As it was, their freshman quarterback threw for 450 and five scores. It was like taking candy from a baby. Undoubtedly the worst defense USC has seen all season.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/3/2017 11:02:15 PM >

Post #: 3320
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/4/2017 5:41:44 AM   
Dave Odle

Come on, man. Pac 12 defenses have been notoriously SAWT (to use your term) for decades now. It just is what it is... There's no more need to defend those defenses by saying they are good than someone should defend Big 10 offenses by saying they produce great QBs. It's okay. Nothing to be ashamed of. Well, okay, maybe that's going a little too far because everyone respects a kick ass defense. California teams just are what they are. They are a lot like their state. Flashy, pretty, and kind of wimpy.

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 3321
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/4/2017 7:19:22 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

USC is falling apart.

Neither has Penn State

Stop!

The refs kept the game close. It was a total debacle from a ref standpoint. Penn State had five scores aided by the refs. If the refs were even close to even it would have been a four-score game.

USC overcame the worst refereed game I have seen in 30 years, and still won. They could have had 800 yards of offense if they wanted. As it was, their freshman quarterback threw for 450 and five scores. It was like taking candy from a baby. Undoubtedly the worst defense USC has seen all season.

USC was as bad on defense for huge stretches of the game as I saw in any Bowl game. They couldn't stop Barkley at all. A late TD changes the final score of the game, but it was obvious to anyone who watched that Penn State was far from a fraud. This was a hard fought game to the end.
You weren't close on your projection.
We also saw what happened when the Gophers minus many starters beat Washington State. You missed that one by a mile too. Nothing wrong with being wrong though. I thought Ohio State was the best in the Big 10.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 3322
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/4/2017 8:45:55 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Here's the reality. The perceived best conference in America this season went 3-6 in bowl games, with wins over Western Michigan, Washington State and Pittsburgh. The so-called three great teams they had went 0-3.

Who is the perceived best conference? I always figure there will be a few surprises. To have 9 teams in the bowl games is the main thing---same for Pac 12, ACC, BIG 12, and SEC. You keep having over half your teams in bowl games the money and recruits will keep coming.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/4/2017 8:51:52 AM >

Post #: 3323
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/4/2017 9:17:30 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

Come on, man. Pac 12 defenses have been notoriously SAWT (to use your term) for decades now. It just is what it is... There's no more need to defend those defenses by saying they are good than someone should defend Big 10 offenses by saying they produce great QBs. It's okay. Nothing to be ashamed of. Well, okay, maybe that's going a little too far because everyone respects a kick ass defense. California teams just are what they are. They are a lot like their state. Flashy, pretty, and kind of wimpy.

Again, you aren't really paying attention closely to the conversation. Perception is not always reality. We've heard for years that Pac 12 defenses are soft and Big Ten defenses are tough. Most of that conversation comes from the fans. In reality, the Big Ten defenses look good because there is not many good quarterbacks in the conferences and the offenses are geared around muck and grind on the ground. This year was a perfect example. They were supposed to have some of the top defenses in the country. All we heard all season was how Michigan was great. Ohio State was great. Penn State was great. What happened when they played competent offenses? They gave up 33, 31 and 52 respectively.

In the Pac 12, you have (at the very least) good quarterbacks on every team. If they get hot, you better be prepared to play an up-tempo game on offense. That creates a style of play and the perception that they are soft on defense. It couldn't be farther from the truth.

Just curious, how did that USC defense do in the 4th quarter? Penn State went into their shell (like Big Ten teams always do) and they stopped them easily. It's not hard to stop a team when you know they are going to go conservative and try to run out the clock. When they (Penn St.) had to go up-tempo in the final minute they were completely lost.

Post #: 3324
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/4/2017 9:29:08 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

Again, you aren't really paying attention closely to the conversation. Perception is not always reality. We've heard for years that Pac 12 defenses are soft and Big Ten defenses are tough. Most of that conversation comes from the fans. In reality, the Big Ten defenses look good because there is not many good quarterbacks in the conferences and the offenses are geared around muck and grind on the ground. This year was a perfect example. They were supposed to have some of the top defenses in the country. All we heard all season was how Michigan was great. Ohio State was great. Penn State was great. What happened when they played competent offenses? They gave up 33, 31 and 52 respectively.
In the Pac 12, you have (at the very least) good quarterbacks on every team. If they get hot, you better be prepared to play an up-tempo game on offense. That creates a style of play and the perception that they are soft on defense. It couldn't be farther from the truth.
Just curious, how did that USC defense do in the 4th quarter? Penn State went into their shell (like Big Ten teams always do) and they stopped them easily. It's not hard to stop a team when you know they are going to go conservative and try to run out the clock. When they (Penn St.) had to go up-tempo in the final minute they were completely lost.

Brad in the grand scheme of things why is this Big Ten vs Pac 12 for you? I am not a Penn State fan or USC fan so I didn't give one shichts about that game because it wasn't even relevant. I watched some of the Gophers/Wash St. but that had about as much relevance too.....the playoff games are what really counts now and Penn St, USC, etc aren't in it.

Brad in the grand scheme of things why is this Big Ten vs Pac 12 for you? I am not a Penn State fan or USC fan so I didn't give one shichts about that game because it wasn't even relevant. I watched some of the Gophers/Wash St. but that had about as much relevance too.....the playoff games are what really counts now and Penn St, USC, etc aren't in it.

You think the Pac 12 is a QB league---I think it is more a WR league. MN has been known for its TE & RB in recent years because they can't get the high end WR to come here.....I think they had 2 pretty good WR this year and another 1/2 that came on toward the end.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/4/2017 9:34:50 AM >

Post #: 3325
Page:   <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode