Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  143 144 [145] 146 147   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/26/2017 9:43:00 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

Alabama played eight home games this season. They traveled a total of 1,121 miles the entire season.

Vandy, 247 miles
A&M, 630 miles
MS State, 84 miles
Auburn, 160 miles

It's something that people always seem to overlook. Going on the road and missing school, time in the air, road meals, different beds, etc.... It's a big deal and people almost never think about it.

Good point. 8 home games. That certainly gets overlooked. They're SEC schedule is even weak.

That alone should keep them out. But,,, they will somehow get them in just watch.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3601
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/26/2017 9:50:19 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Alabama played eight home games this season. They traveled a total of 1,121 miles the entire season.

Vandy, 247 miles
A&M, 630 miles
MS State, 84 miles
Auburn, 160 miles

It's something that people always seem to overlook. Going on the road and missing school, time in the air, road meals, different beds, etc.... It's a big deal and people almost never think about it.

Good point. 8 home games. That certainly gets overlooked. They're SEC schedule is even weak.

That alone should keep them out. But,,, they will somehow get them in just watch.

It's all about money. Last year I said for the first time I wouldn't watch, and I didn't. It's a complete sham.

What people do not realize is that the Pac 12 went .500 (head-to-head) against the SEC during the BCS era. One would never know because all we heard for a decade was how dominant the SEC was. It pays to have an ESPN SEC channel (which is a total conflict of interest).

At this point, without going to an 8-team playoff, I would just prefer the olden days when the Pac 12 played the Big Ten in the Rose Bowl. It was far more intriguing. This season the Rose Bowl is part of the playoff and I will not watch. No interest!

< Message edited by Brad H -- 11/26/2017 10:01:12 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 3602
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/27/2017 4:08:31 PM   
Bill Jandro

Coaches Poll, Week 13
1. Clemson (25 first-place votes)
2. Oklahoma (12)
3. Wisconsin (21)
4. Auburn (4)
5. Alabama
6. Georgia
7. Miami (tie)
7. Ohio State (tie)
9. USC
10. Penn State

Wisc with 21 first place votes. They must have been impressed with their victory over that power house Gopher team.

Post #: 3603
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/27/2017 4:14:47 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Georgia could beat Auburn and watch as Alabama makes the playoffs instead. This is the toughest year ever for figuring out who gets in, but perhaps a loss or two at the top may sort things out.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3604
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/27/2017 4:32:32 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Georgia could beat Auburn and watch as Alabama makes the playoffs instead. This is the toughest year ever for figuring out who gets in, but perhaps a loss or two at the top may sort things out.

Georgia never wins a big game. Bet Auburn. If there is a team that will lose of the top four it is Wisconsin. They have ZERO quality wins for the season, IMO.

Bama has no business being in the top 7-8. NONE. They played one good team all season and lost. They had eight homes games and traveled a total of 1,121 miles all season. Why they are still hanging around in the top five is due to one thing and one thing only..........MONEY!

< Message edited by Brad H -- 11/27/2017 4:34:47 PM >

Post #: 3605
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/27/2017 4:38:10 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

Coaches Poll, Week 13
1. Clemson (25 first-place votes)
2. Oklahoma (12)
3. Wisconsin (21)
4. Auburn (4)
5. Alabama
6. Georgia
7. Miami (tie)
7. Ohio State (tie)
9. USC
10. Penn State

Wisc with 21 first place votes. They must have been impressed with their victory over that power house Gopher team.

Big 10 with plenty of representation, but I don't see anyone winning it. Ohio State would have the best chance, but I din't trust Barrett.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 3606
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/27/2017 4:39:48 PM   
Steve Lentz

Frost turned down Florida, believe he's coming home.

Post #: 3607
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/27/2017 4:40:28 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I agree with you Auburn will likely win. Alabama is the only team that doesn't have to play this weekend. Everybody else has a tough matchup. Oklahoma is not guaranteed to be TCU and of course Clemson could struggle vs Miami.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3608
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/1/2017 12:41:48 PM   
SoMnFan

Jimbo Fischer to Texas A&M?
That seems like a weird move ...
Post #: 3609
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/1/2017 2:16:10 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

He was at odds with administration.

Post #: 3610
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/1/2017 2:19:34 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

GA/AU winner is in
Clem/MA winner is in

That we know. TCU can knock OKL out with a win as can OSU win over Wisc

I hope the current top 4 all win and OSU and Bama are on the outside looking in.

Post #: 3611
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/1/2017 6:50:33 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Taggart to leave Oregon after 1 year?
WTH is going on out there?

Post #: 3612
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/2/2017 8:35:13 AM   
Brad H

Great Pac 12 title game last night. It remains the most entertaining conference to watch.

I'm not saying either team last night deserves a top four spot in the final four, but who what would you rather see, Mayfield against Darnold, or Oklahoma playing Auburn, Clemson or Wisconsin? There is no dominant team this year. If ever there should be an 8-team playoff it is this season. ESPN is killing their ratings by elevating the SEC teams this season. Nobody wants to watch "student-body-right" in the year 2017.

Give me the quarterbacks all day long.

Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, Wisconsin = snoozefest! I'd take USC against any of them with a bookmaker and take my chances.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/2/2017 8:39:18 AM >

Post #: 3613
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/2/2017 8:43:41 AM   
SoMnFan

Great to see USC back on top of their conference where they belong
(duck..dodge....dive...dodge)
Post #: 3614
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/2/2017 9:15:23 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Great Pac 12 title game last night. It remains the most entertaining conference to watch.

I'm not saying either team last night deserves a top four spot in the final four, but who what would you rather see, Mayfield against Darnold, or Oklahoma playing Auburn, Clemson or Wisconsin? There is no dominant team this year. If ever there should be an 8-team playoff it is this season. ESPN is killing their ratings by elevating the SEC teams this season. Nobody wants to watch "student-body-right" in the year 2017.

Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, Wisconsin = snoozefest! I'd take USC against any of them with a bookmaker and take my chances.

All the conference champions from the power 5 should be automatically in.

Then 3 at large bids so the committee can get they're darlings in.

Post #: 3615
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/2/2017 10:55:39 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

I agree. If it is going to be a real tournament, make it a real tournament. Otherwise, just go back to the formula from the olden days when the Big Ten played the Pac 10/12 in the Rose Bowl. To me, that was much more intriguing.

Right now it is a love-fest for whoever the committee thinks is deserving, and almost always includes the same cast of characters. I could care less about watching Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Clemson or TCU. Those schools have continuously dodged playing Pac 12 schools for decades and haven't earned my interest. If they would be willing to take an occasional trip to the West Coast during the season, I may feel differently.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/2/2017 11:00:19 AM >

Post #: 3616
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/2/2017 10:59:54 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Yep. It should be 8 teams.
Post #: 3617
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/2/2017 11:00:47 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Atlantic Coast, and the Missouri Valley?
Post #: 3618
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/2/2017 11:01:41 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Pac 12 would need it to be 16 teams to get one in this year.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 12/2/2017 11:02:54 AM >
Post #: 3619
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/2/2017 11:05:56 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Pac 12 was really down. Is it a trend the last couple years?

Post #: 3620
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/2/2017 11:09:47 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Pac 12 was really down. Is it a trend the last couple years?

Every conference was down. It' called parity.

Post #: 3621
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/2/2017 11:13:44 AM   
Brad H

If Wisconsin played in the Pac 12 they'd have 2-3 losses. That style of football wouldn't last against great quarterbacks.

Post #: 3622
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/2/2017 11:19:25 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

If Wisconsin played in the Pac 12 they'd have 2-3 losses. That style of football wouldn't last against great quarterbacks.

The top 3 teams in the Big 10 are better than anything I've seen in the Pac 12.
You want to watch exciting and productive offense though watch UCF, they just can't play defense.

Post #: 3623
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/2/2017 11:26:15 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Haven't they changed their style? No more Ron Dayne 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.

More speed and less predictable.
Post #: 3624
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/2/2017 11:27:17 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

The top 3 teams in the Big 10 are better than anything I've seen in the Pac 12.
You want to watch exciting and productive offense though watch UCF, they just can't play defense.

Like I said earlier, I'd put USC against any of the four teams that are going to be in the final four and I don't think the Trojans would get embarrassed by any of them. They are playing far better football right now than they were at mid-season. In addition, they played a much tougher schedule than some of the programs that will be in the final four.

It's something the people in the midwest and south don't understand that I have been pointing out for years. If you play in a conference with great quarterbacks, your chances of getting beat once or twice during a season greatly increase. The USC loss to Washington State was a prime example. The Cougars are not a great team, but Luke Falk has the ability to get hot for a day and beat you. That kind of stuff rarely ever happens in the Big Ten or SEC. And no, it isn't a bout having poor defenses. That's an age-old excuse that has gotten tired.

The only way to get any resolution to the argument is head-to-head competition. And like I have been saying for years, the Pac 12 was .500 against the SEC during the BCS era. The SEC was perceived to be the dominant conference in college football to most of America. However, when you look at what really happened on the field against the Pac 12, they were just the most hyped conference in the country.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/2/2017 11:29:25 AM >

Post #: 3625
Page:   <<   < prev  143 144 [145] 146 147   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  143 144 [145] 146 147   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode