Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/12/2014 4:40:50 PM   
John Childress

I would not have Winston on my draft board

He needs serious help

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 1501
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/12/2014 5:01:00 PM   
Andy Lowe

I would have the entire Ole Miss D scouted

Maybe the best college defense I've ever seen
Post #: 1502
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/12/2014 7:40:59 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

He needs serious help

Some teams beat you to it. Comments from Jay Glazer:

quote:

According to FOX Sports NFL Insider Jay Glazer, general managers are moving Winston down their potential draft boards -- or off them completely. Additionally, due to possible rule changes involving sanctions against teams, franchises that employ players with off-field issues could have draft picks taken away, further diminishing the prospects for rookies-to-be like Winston.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jameis-winston-nfl-draft-boards-general-managers-jay-glazer-101214

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 1503
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/13/2014 11:19:15 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Lowe

Sign me up.
Gonna be a bunch of them playing Sundays soon.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1504
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/13/2014 2:55:09 PM   
Jeff Jesser

And scout Baylor's entire offense. That TCU game was as fun as it gets.
Post #: 1505
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/13/2014 6:46:52 PM   
Bradley H

quote:

They have only played one offense with a pulse the entire year. Mississippi State has the best defense in the conference, hands down.

IMO, Alabama is not even a top-20 program right now. How they are still ranked No. 7 is embarrassing.

< Message edited by Bradley H -- 10/13/2014 6:49:50 PM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1506
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/13/2014 7:27:15 PM   
joejitsu

What do you think of Notre Dame this year, Brad? I can't stand them, but I have to admit they are looking really good.
Post #: 1507
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/13/2014 7:40:55 PM   
joejitsu

Guess we have to start seriously looking at olinemen on Saturdays again. We need about five of them.
Post #: 1508
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 8:09:27 AM   
Bradley H

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

What do you think of Notre Dame this year, Brad? I can't stand them, but I have to admit they are looking really good.

I think they are pretty decent. This weekend will tell a lot. IMO, if FSU loses they will be out of the playoff picture. My sense is that Florida State will win, but it won't be pretty.

Post #: 1509
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 8:30:17 AM   
Andy Lowe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley H

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

I think they are pretty decent. This weekend will tell a lot. IMO, if FSU loses they will be out of the playoff picture. My sense is that Florida State will win, but it won't be pretty.

Florida St defense is not good.
Post #: 1510
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 9:18:52 AM   
djskillz

I gotta disagree on Notre Dame. I'm not sure they're a top 15 team in the country. I mean, look what UNC did against them. UNC.

I don't think FSU is playing all that well but I bet they destroy Notre Dame. I still think the best 5 teams in the country are all in the SEC, probably in the order of:

MSU
Ole Miss
Auburn
Alabama
Georgia

Trouble is that they're (along with A&M) going to beat each other up over the next several weeks.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1511
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 12:00:58 PM   
Andy Lowe

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

I gotta disagree on Notre Dame. I'm not sure they're a top 15 team in the country. I mean, look what UNC did against them. UNC.

I don't think FSU is playing all that well but I bet they destroy Notre Dame. I still think the best 5 teams in the country are all in the SEC, probably in the order of:

MSU
Ole Miss
Auburn
Alabama
Georgia

Trouble is that they're (along with A&M) going to beat each other up over the next several weeks.

The Florida St defense is terrible

ND may put up 70 on them.
Post #: 1512
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 12:03:16 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

MSU
Ole Miss
Auburn
Alabama
Georgia

Who are your next 5?
Missouri
South Carolina
Arkansas
Tennessee
Florida

Followed by
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Texas A&M

Put down the kool aid

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 1513
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 12:08:41 PM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

MSU
Ole Miss
Auburn
Alabama
Georgia

The Florida St defense is terrible

ND may put up 70 on them.

Could be. But they may put up 100 on ND.

Murf, no koolaid. Next to me would be a combo of FSU/Baylor/Oregon, in some order. Followed by TCU/Oklahoma/Michigan State/A&M, in some order. I do think you guys are a completely different team with your LT back and can make things interesting. Just my take.

Who do you think are the best 2 in the country? My logic is that I think that if you put any of those 5 teams on a neutral field, I think you come up with different outcomes in almost every matchup. Does Ole Miss beat Bama if the game is in Bama instead of Ole Miss? I doubt it. Ditto for MSU vs. Auburn/A&M. They're all very, very close IMO. And I don't think any other team in the country beats any of those 5 teams on a neutral field right now. Again, I expect that to change as the year goes on. Just my take.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 10/14/2014 12:17:08 PM >

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1514
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 12:38:11 PM   
McMurfy

I don't even know if I have two best teams.
When the SEC teams all start ranked so high, I don't know if they are really that good or not.
They beat each other and I'm told it is a sign of the strength of the conference.
When the PAC-12 does that, I'm told that it is a sign that there are no elite teams in the conference.
I do know that in a playoff format for any sport, the team with the best record only wins it all about half of the time if even that.
So the SEC/ESPN love fest gets hard to take.

I'd like to see 8- 10 team conferences , where you play everyone in your conference.
The rest of the schedule is done in a format similar to the NFL.
From this emerges 8 conference champions and 8 at large teams.
Then let me see the SEC reel off 7 in a row.

The system was rigged, Vegas style, the SEC was and is the house.

Post #: 1515
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 12:40:57 PM   
Rob Viking

I am not sold on Georgia, Auburn and Bama. Even the Mississippi teams, they've looked great thus far but they don't have a proven track record.

Georgia's defense is an issue, Bama's offense was terrible vs Arkansas, Auburn really could have lost at K-St if not for the K-St kicker being terrible.

FSU have an easy schedule but the ND game will help, think hey'll make the playoff. Oregon have sputtered a bit but if they win the PAC12 with 1 loss they have to be considered. Big12 teams still play no defense but we shall see, OU gets Baylor in Norman so that would be huge for them, if any of them have 1 loss that should give them strong consideration.

Quite wide open this year no doubt.
Post #: 1516
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 1:01:25 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

I don't even know if I have two best teams.
When the SEC teams all start ranked so high, I don't know if they are really that good or not.
They beat each other and I'm told it is a sign of the strength of the conference.
When the PAC-12 does that, I'm told that it is a sign that there are no elite teams in the conference.
I do know that in a playoff format for any sport, the team with the best record only wins it all about half of the time if even that.
So the SEC/ESPN love fest gets hard to take.

I'd like to see 8- 10 team conferences , where you play everyone in your conference.
The rest of the schedule is done in a format similar to the NFL.
From this emerges 8 conference champions and 8 at large teams.
Then let me see the SEC reel off 7 in a row.

The system was rigged, Vegas style, the SEC was and is the house.

Fair enough, Murf. I'd like to see a 16 team playoff as well (and I think it's inevitable in a few years) but I'm not convinced the results would be any different. Most of the at-large teams would still be from the SEC and the SEC would still win the majority of the time IMO. Money and passion (there's no denying college football is bigger in the South on the whole, partly due to a relative lack of professional teams) = better players and better programs IMO.

I do think 8 conferences won't work anymore with the Power 5 so much better. But I'd like to see more your setup too.

Post #: 1517
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 1:30:01 PM   
McMurfy

This is a good read.

http://www.thepostgame.com/commentary/201208/better-without-em-northern-manifesto-southern-secession-chuck-thompson-sec-bcs

Post #: 1518
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 1:46:21 PM   
djskillz

Not exactly an unbiased source, Murf.

I think Bowl/head to head records have to be looked at for who's playing who. Is the 8th best team in your conference playing the 2nd best in the other conference? Etc. I did that exercise over the years with Brad a couple of years back, and it showed exactly that; vastly uneven matchups in Pac12 wins vs. SEC teams. I certainly agree there are issues with money/rankings as bias (I wish there were no polls until week 5-6 or so) but it's also a vicious cycle. More money = better coaches and better facilities and in turn better players. Don't just look at bowl games or the 7 straight national titles. Look at recruiting rankings over the last 10-15 years. Look at number of impact players in the NFL, etc. The SEC is dominating those rankings and has for quite some time now. Better players generally = better teams. It's a growing disparity between the SEC and other conferences. That can't be denied.

And again, Murf, I'm certainly not an SEC guy. If anything I root against most SEC teams because I have to hear about them all the time out here. If anything I'm a Big10 fan (though the Big10 really sucks). But that's just how I see it. As someone who's lived in both areas, it's ridiculous the difference in passion between west coast fans and southern fans when it comes to college football. And I think we see that passion filter into every level of success right now in the sport. More passion = more attendance, more donors, more pressure to win which leads to a lot of the things above.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 10/14/2014 1:48:12 PM >

Post #: 1519
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 1:57:08 PM   
djskillz

As an example, 2014 recruiting rankings:

SEC
SEC
Big10
ACC
SEC
SEC
SEC
SEC
SEC
Pac12

7 of the top 10 were SEC schools. 10 of the top 20.

Edit: these are Rivals or Yahoo rankings. ESPN actually has a wider gap. Obviously recruiting rankings of players are going to vary from source to source.

In 2013? 10 of the top 21
in 2012? 8 of the top 19
In 2011? 8 of the top 19

2015 so far? 12 of the top 26, including the top 4 all from the SEC.

How do you explain that?

< Message edited by djskillz -- 10/14/2014 2:01:05 PM >

Post #: 1520
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 2:07:05 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

As an example, 2014 recruiting rankings:

SEC
SEC
Big10
ACC
SEC
SEC
SEC
SEC
SEC
Pac12

7 of the top 10 were SEC schools. 10 of the top 20.

Edit: these are Rivals or Yahoo rankings. ESPN actually has a wider gap. Obviously recruiting rankings of players are going to vary from source to source.

In 2013? 10 of the top 21
in 2012? 8 of the top 19
In 2011? 8 of the top 19

2015 so far? 12 of the top 26, including the top 4 all from the SEC.

How do you explain that?

I don't deny that, which is why I think the real tragedy is that they are given the advantages outlined in that article, when they clearly don't need it.
They have talented players, they don't need to be given any additional advantages which they are clearly getting.

Post #: 1521
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 2:15:59 PM   
djskillz

I hear what you're saying, Murf. My point is that if you have better players it's more believable that you also have the better teams as opposed to media bias. Again, go back and look at those Pac12/SEC games over the last 5-6 seasons and see how each team finished in their respective conference. It's not an apples to apples comparison. As to bowl game proximity, I believe that filters into the geographical passion too. Bowl games are pointless other than the top couple (other than for the players and alumni; much like the NIT) but they're also about money. And because college football is a lot bigger in the south than it is in the west, midwest, or northeast, you're going to do a lot better job of filling the stands and getting extra sponsorship revenue by having those games in say, Texas or Florida, than you are having them in New York, etc. Not to mention the weather factors in regards to the Northeast/Midwest in December/January.

Non-conference play is a never-ending debate until there's an extended playoff. If you think the SEC has 7-8 really good teams and the Pac12 has 3-4, of course you're not going to jeopardize your title chances by adding one more "potential" loss. Of course the flip side is the view that the SEC is overrated and doesn't have better teams. I just tend to agree with the former more than the latter.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 10/14/2014 2:27:04 PM >

Post #: 1522
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 2:23:48 PM   
Bradley H

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

He needs serious help

The kid has a lot of growing up to do. When he talks, it seems as if people have been kissing his ass for years. He is arrogant, full of spin and never humble.

Post #: 1523
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 2:27:16 PM   
Bradley H

quote:

Not exactly an unbiased source, Murf.

I think Bowl/head to head records have to be looked at for who's playing who. Is the 8th best team in your conference playing the 2nd best in the other conference? Etc. I did that exercise over the years with Brad a couple of years back, and it showed exactly that; vastly uneven matchups in Pac12 wins vs. SEC teams. I certainly agree there are issues with money/rankings as bias (I wish there were no polls until week 5-6 or so) but it's also a vicious cycle. More money = better coaches and better facilities and in turn better players. Don't just look at bowl games or the 7 straight national titles. Look at recruiting rankings over the last 10-15 years. Look at number of impact players in the NFL, etc. The SEC is dominating those rankings and has for quite some time now. Better players generally = better teams. It's a growing disparity between the SEC and other conferences. That can't be denied.

And again, Murf, I'm certainly not an SEC guy. If anything I root against most SEC teams because I have to hear about them all the time out here. If anything I'm a Big10 fan (though the Big10 really sucks). But that's just how I see it. As someone who's lived in both areas, it's ridiculous the difference in passion between west coast fans and southern fans when it comes to college football. And I think we see that passion filter into every level of success right now in the sport. More passion = more attendance, more donors, more pressure to win which leads to a lot of the things above.

Numbers are numbers. Lets not forget, the SEC also has 14 programs so they should have more top picks. If you look deep enough, they probably have the most busts as well.

At the end of the day, the Pac 10/12 was an even .500 against the SEC in head-to-head play in the BCS era. There is no spinning that number.

Post #: 1524
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 10/14/2014 2:30:35 PM   
djskillz

Brad, we've been over this before. There certainly is. Because the 8th best team in the SEC should not be compared with the 2nd best team in the Pac12 or Big10 or ACC, and vice versa. They are not even matchups to determine a better conference, especially given how small the sample size is.

And yes, they have more busts, but they also have more stars. If you took the top 8-10 teams from the SEC and the top 8-10 teams from any other conference, the same numbers would apply. The "top heavy" argument that Stoops said is a joke at this point too. There was a stat the other day that there have now been 11 SEC teams ranked in the top 5 in the country in the last 2 1/2 seasons. ELEVEN. The only ones that haven't are Vandy/UT/UK.

Post #: 1525
Page:   <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode