Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/4/2014 1:53:25 PM   
djskillz

Inter-conference record? The most they play each other is a few games a season. We're going to judge who gets in the playoffs based on what a few random teams do unrelated to the best teams?

I agree 8 is the answer. Though I think I'd have the same feeling on any "automatic" bids. If one conferences sucks, they suck, and don't deserve a team in.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1751
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/4/2014 2:02:33 PM   
I'm just throwing ideas out there because votes are what suck.
Your record is what should merit your field.

You can't vote the Redskins into the playoffs even if they were 10-6 and didn't make the wild card while the Patriots won their division with a 7-9 record.
The best teams don't always get in.

The 10th seed won the WS this year.
The mighty mighty Dodgers bandwagon is sitting in a junk yard, out of gas.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 1752
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/4/2014 2:56:28 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

I'm just throwing ideas out there because votes are what suck.
Your record is what should merit your field.

You can't vote the Redskins into the playoffs even if they were 10-6 and didn't make the wild card while the Patriots won their division with a 7-9 record.
The best teams don't always get in.

The 10th seed won the WS this year.
The mighty mighty Dodgers bandwagon is sitting in a junk yard, out of gas.

Trust me, though, that bandwagon has the easiest on/off mechanism ever. I use it yearly.
Post #: 1753
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/4/2014 4:56:37 PM   

Thumbnail Image

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 1754
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/4/2014 7:40:33 PM   
thebigo

quote:

The biggest problem I see Dustin is defining the best team in college football.
The best team doesn't always win. The team who plays the best at the end does. The hottest team so to speak.
Also, we are trying to determine best teams by votes. Votes! Think about that for a second.
It is so ripe for corruption or collusion that it's pits are falling out.

If you can't win your conference championship, how do you get to go the National championship?
By votes? Terrible terrible way to set a field. This isn't gymnastics.

Wild card? Have a play-in game(s) then between 2nd place finishers.

But under no circumstance (in my mind) should a team that didn't win it's conference be voted in to a 4 team field.
When you get to 8 teams or better there stands reason to let 2nd place finishers in.

Why the difference between 4 and 8 teams?
Post #: 1755
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/4/2014 7:56:34 PM   
I'm thinking get the major conference champs represented first.
Then 3 wild card games for 2nd place finishers and 1 independent.
Those 3 winners get into the 8 team playoff with the 5 conf. champs.

Post #: 1756
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/4/2014 8:36:04 PM   
bohumm

quote:

Thumbnail Image

Dodger ownership is interested in buying the bandwagon for $300,000 if you'll throw in a few vehicles that don't work
Post #: 1757
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/5/2014 11:26:06 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

Thumbnail Image

Dodger ownership is interested in buying the bandwagon for $300,000 if you'll throw in a few vehicles that don't work

Ha!

Post #: 1758
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/8/2014 6:39:30 PM   
Ian Joseph

There is always that Oregon based MLB franchise.. Oh wait..

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 1759
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/8/2014 7:04:07 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

Thumbnail Image

Just like our relief pitchers.
Post #: 1760
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/8/2014 7:19:20 PM   
Ricky J

Craziest ending ever in TT win over Auburn
Post #: 1761
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/8/2014 8:13:04 PM   
John Childress

FSU doesn't look like they will ever be good this year

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 1762
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/9/2014 12:03:11 AM   
Ian Joseph

I'm sorry, but Alabama is NOT one of the best four teams in the country. I know they will be in the next Final Four rankings and maybe its a transition year for them, but anytime you need overtime to beat a team where the QB threw for 70 yards, you're suspect.

Alabama plays defense well, but I don't think LSU is worth shit, so I don't give them a lot of credit for the win. YMMV.

Believe.
Post #: 1763
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/9/2014 12:26:04 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

I'm sorry, but Alabama is NOT one of the best four teams in the country. I know they will be in the next Final Four rankings and maybe its a transition year for them, but anytime you need overtime to beat a team where the QB threw for 70 yards, you're suspect.

Alabama plays defense well, but I don't think LSU is worth shit, so I don't give them a lot of credit for the win. YMMV.

I'm not big on Bama this year, but you severely underrate LSU, and winning at Death Valley.

LSU is incredibly young but at home on a good day (night) they have the athletes to match up with anybody.

LSU has been feeding the NFL players for the last decade. Second string Tigers routinely end up in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong, you have to win the games. They didn't win enough of them.

I love college football. The playoffs start with your first game.

Still wouldn't bet against FSU in a big game, but they have not played well yet this year. Underachievers.
Running game is weak, Pender should be getting the bulk of the carries. Winston is not as sharp this year and Greene is really the only WR option he has. And Nick O'Leary isn't nearly as good as he looked last year. I still like them in a big game.

Meanwhile, the Pretenders were exposed today. ND? Overhyped like always, just not a very good football team, compared to the legit contenders. MI State, blew it. Auburn, tough schedule but also blew it. Oklahoma, 2 Home losses. K-State, not much offense besides Waters and Lockett.

Oregon and Bama took care of business.
Post #: 1764
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/9/2014 12:35:49 AM   
JT2

BTW, who are the 4 best teams in the country?
Post #: 1765
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/9/2014 12:49:55 AM   
Ian Joseph

Not interested in what LSU has done over the last decade; that doesn't help them win games right now. I saw a slow, plodding team with a highly inaccurate quarterback. It was like watching a slow boxer, who knows he doesn't have any legs or a jab, invite another slow, no legs fighter to engage in a fistfight - it sounds good, in reality is just ugly.

Now, again, both teams can easily be in transition years and the announcers repeatedly said that the coaches didn't take the reigns off either quarterback. But that said, neither were impressive. And LSU dropped the ball BIG TIME by blowing that first and goal at the 6 with a minute left and then the absolute choke job by the kicker, who I'm sure was told to be a pussy and squib kick at an angle.

FSU just keeps winning.. nothing you can say about that. Style points don't matter for shit, especially when youre one of two legit unbeaten teams left.

Oregon does what Oregon does, just steamroll people. They'll be in the playoffs for sure - they'll beat the Pac 12 south team in the PAC12CG.

That TCU is a monster that nobody is watching. Theyre special. If theyre the 4th seed in the playoffs, number 1 better not be FSU; they cant let TCU get ahead and expect to come back and win.

Whomever represents the SEC is one and done. It doesn't even matter at this point - one team, two teams, the whole field (not). Based on what I saw today/tonight, theyre all marginal with a lot of historical hype driving their rankings and reputation.

Believe.
Post #: 1766
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/9/2014 12:50:36 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

BTW, who are the 4 best teams in the country?

At this point, I say Miss St, FSU, Oregon and TCU.

Believe.
Post #: 1767
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/9/2014 1:00:14 AM   
JT2

quote:

Not interested in what LSU has done over the last decade; that doesn't help them win games right now. I saw a slow, plodding team with a highly inaccurate quarterback. It was like watching a slow boxer, who knows he doesn't have any legs or a jab, invite another slow, no legs fighter to engage in a fistfight - it sounds good, in reality is just ugly.

Now, again, both teams can easily be in transition years and the announcers repeatedly said that the coaches didn't take the reigns off either quarterback. But that said, neither were impressive. And LSU dropped the ball BIG TIME by blowing that first and goal at the 6 with a minute left and then the absolute choke job by the kicker, who I'm sure was told to be a pussy and squib kick at an angle.

FSU just keeps winning.. nothing you can say about that. Style points don't matter for shit, especially when youre one of two legit unbeaten teams left.

Oregon does what Oregon does, just steamroll people. They'll be in the playoffs for sure - they'll beat the Pac 12 south team in the PAC12CG.

That TCU is a monster that nobody is watching. Theyre special. If theyre the 4th seed in the playoffs, number 1 better not be FSU; they cant let TCU get ahead and expect to come back and win.

Whomever represents the SEC is one and done. It doesn't even matter at this point - one team, two teams, the whole field (not). Based on what I saw today/tonight, theyre all marginal with a lot of historical hype driving their rankings and reputation.

At least 8 ugly, slow plodders on the team you watched will be playing in the NFL.

If your idea of pretty football has to be 55-38, I can see where you may not appreciate it.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 11/9/2014 1:11:15 AM >
Post #: 1768
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/9/2014 1:04:31 AM   
JT2

Watch out for the Texas, Thanksgiving Day upset.
Post #: 1769
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/9/2014 1:05:36 AM   
JT2

quote:

I would certainly entertain some sort of wager on that.
Post #: 1770
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/9/2014 2:09:35 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

At least 8 ugly, slow plodders on the team you watched will be playing in the NFL.

If your idea of pretty football has to be 55-38, I can see where you may not appreciate it.

And maybe 8 guys go to the NFL, but that doesn't mean they'll all be special in the NFL.

I just want to see good football and not becuz history or the pundits say its good. A 10-10 game that goes into overtime, but NOT due to two herculean defensive efforts is just a shit game. And it was.

Believe.
Post #: 1771
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/9/2014 2:10:18 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

I would certainly entertain some sort of wager on that.

Let me see what the matchups look like. I have no problem letting my nuts hang in that sort of setting.

Believe.
Post #: 1772
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/9/2014 2:27:43 AM   
thebigo

quote:

So style points count if your LSU, but don't count if your FSU?
Post #: 1773
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/9/2014 6:26:12 AM   
Andy Lowe

I expect the Gophers to make a ge of it this weekend

I'm surprised we went into East Lansing and pretty much smacked MSU in the mouth

We need help but this Buckeye team is completely different than Barrett's second start

Lots of NFLers on this Buckeye team
Post #: 1774
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/9/2014 8:34:16 AM   
Bill Jandro

Auburn really blew it. I'd drop them out after losing to an A&M team that got absolutely rolled by Bama

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1775
Page:   <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode