Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/2/2014 10:36:51 AM   
Bradley H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

The TCU KSU game is huge. The winner will get major kudos in the rankings and if they win out, will be in the dance.

Jake Waters is a winner. Watched him play at Iowa Western for two years. The kid is a gamer.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1701
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/2/2014 10:39:51 AM   
Bradley H

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: drew

Agree about the marathon vs. sprint. You may be right about only one SEC team getting in, because they are going to beat each other up. Right now, at the end of the season, here's what I believe.

FSU will be in. Their last best chance to lose was at Louisville, and they survived.
Winner of KState vs. TCU looks good, as long as they run the table. I think either of them will be impossible to leave out if they have only one loss and won the Big 12.
Whoever wins the SEC will be in. (Hate to say it, but it'll probably be Alabama)
The last spot could go to any of the current or future (Miss St) one loss teams. Oregon and Mich. St. have good shots, I believe. That head to head match up could loom large.

Under that scenario, if Oregon wins out, they're going. There is zero doubt.

Yep. They are finally healthy on the offensive line.

Post #: 1702
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/2/2014 10:46:16 AM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley H

quote:

By the way, no SEC worshiper here. Just being realistic. SEC isn't down this year, they just have to play each other.

Disagree entirely. When Mississippi State and Ole Miss are two of the best teams in the conference, the conference is down. The only teams that are dangerous are the ones with quarterbacks (MS State, Ole Miss, Auburn and Bama). Georgia, LSU, Florida & Texas A&M (without Hilll) have nothing at quarterback and are not a threat to make a run. I though Georgia was a contender, but their quarterback is terrible and without Gurley they are just another team. Vandy, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina and Arkansas have nothing.

Remember when the A&M win was a big deal in week one? The voters had put South Carolina No. 2 to start the season despite not winning an important game in 40 years. Turns out they were shit and A&M was deemed the new darling. I watched A&M struggle mightily with Louisiana-Monroe yesterday. The Gophers would have beaten them by three scores.

EXACTLY

Some of the QB play is so bad there is no way you could consider them top teams

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 1703
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/2/2014 10:51:23 AM   
Bradley H

SEC games next weekend:

Presbyterian College at Ole Miss
Tennessee-Martin at Mississippi State

Sorry guys, but if you want to be taken seriously you have to play a tougher non-conference schedule. Ole Miss has played three good teams all season and went 1-2.

Mississippi State opened the season against Southern Miss, UAB and South Alabama. If they get blown out by Bama they have no business in the final four.

Bama's top wins of the year are against West Virginia and Florida. If they lose to either LSU or Mississippi State they should be out, plain and simple.

< Message edited by Bradley H -- 11/2/2014 10:53:29 AM >

Post #: 1704
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/2/2014 3:40:07 PM   
drew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley H

quote:

By the way, no SEC worshiper here. Just being realistic. SEC isn't down this year, they just have to play each other.

Disagree entirely. When Mississippi State and Ole Miss are two of the best teams in the conference, the conference is down. The only teams that are dangerous are the ones with quarterbacks (MS State, Ole Miss, Auburn and Bama). Georgia, LSU, Florida & Texas A&M (without Hilll) have nothing at quarterback and are not a threat to make a run. I though Georgia was a contender, but their quarterback is terrible and without Gurley they are just another team. Vandy, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina and Arkansas have nothing.

Remember when the A&M win was a big deal in week one? The voters had put South Carolina No. 2 to start the season despite not winning an important game in 40 years. Turns out they were shit and A&M was deemed the new darling. I watched A&M struggle mightily with Louisiana-Monroe yesterday. The Gophers would have beaten them by three scores.

Good response Brad, and I agree with most of what you say. However, when you said the four teams that were dangerous, they are all National title contenders. What other conference at this point of the year can you say has 4 title contenders?

I also watched Arkansas play Miss. St. last night. That's a pretty good team, and they are 0-5 in the SEC. Totally agree about A&M, what a nightmare they are right now. I don't know if the Gophers would beat Eden Prairie by 3 TD's, though!
Post #: 1705
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/2/2014 7:54:56 PM   
djskillz

Not really sure how anything has changed this weekend? Other than Georgia, who I think most expected to lose again at some point before the SEC title game.

I think if Bama wins out (and they'll be favored in each of their remaining games) they'll not only be in but will be #1 in the country, and rightfully so, with that schedule. I think it's very possible MSU only loses that game and then misses the title game but is still in perhaps. And then there's Auburn. And Ole Miss isn't exactly "done" yet either. Meanwhile there's still pitfalls left for TCU/KSU/Michigan St/Oregon as well. It'll get interesting, but I still find it extremely hard to believe there will be less than 2 SEC teams in the final 4. And there remains a decent possibility for 3.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1706
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/2/2014 7:59:29 PM   
Ian Joseph

I have $20 says there is only one SEC team in the playoffs.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 1707
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/2/2014 8:01:58 PM   
Ian Joseph

The part you fail to realize is playing in the SEC West IS the playoffs' opening round. Theyre not going to bring two or three of those teams into the big dance that only features four and say, "hey, ok, now play for real when it matters most."

They'll get one for sure. With all of those schools having a 2nd loss pending, it will take everyone else in the country losing two for them to get back on equal footing.

Believe.
Post #: 1708
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/2/2014 8:03:51 PM   
Ian Joseph

Ole Miss is now #12 in the AP poll. They wont fare much better in the rankings. Theyre done, absent an epic collapse by Alabama, MSU and Auburn.

Believe.
Post #: 1709
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/2/2014 8:46:48 PM   
djskillz

quote:

I have $20 says there is only one SEC team in the playoffs.

Done. You got yourself a deal, man.

I still maintain probably the best 4 teams in the country are all in the SEC West this year. Craziness. I do think Oregon is better than FSU right now. Maybe TCU and KSU are better too. FSU just has not been impressive at all this year in any game.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 11/2/2014 8:59:17 PM >

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 1710
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/2/2014 9:45:18 PM   
John Childress

quote:

FSU just has not been impressive at all this year in any game.

The funny thing is you can't even see your bias

Post #: 1711
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/2/2014 10:55:22 PM   
Ian Joseph

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=ncfnation&id=102184

Here you go, Dustin.

Believe.
Post #: 1712
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/3/2014 8:26:11 AM   
djskillz

Ian, remember that this upcoming weekend is huge. Michigan St could easily be out after this weekend (OSU). TCU or Kansas State will be out after this weekend (and how do you put a 1-loss KSU team over a 1-loss Auburn team if that comes to pass?). Baylor or Oklahoma will be completely done. Notre Dame or ASU will be completely done. And Oregon has a tough matchup as well. So does Alabama.

There is a LOT of season left. I wouldn't be completely shocked if Florida beats FSU at this point later this year too. Florida may be the best team that FSU plays this year, which says something more about FSU's schedule than it does Florida.

I think at the end of the year, there will be two 1-loss teams outside of the SEC with any shot, or less. FSU (which may have zero) and 1 other (one of Oregon/Michigan St/TCU/KSU/Baylor). So if you put a couple of 2-loss SEC teams against any of those (MSU can afford to lose 2 games, Auburn/Alabama one each), they'll for sure beat them out based on strength of schedule. I think with FSU's schedule if they lose at all they'll be out.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 11/3/2014 8:28:36 AM >

Post #: 1713
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/3/2014 8:37:22 AM   
Ian Joseph

There is a lot of season left, but the SEC is going to hang 2 losses on just about every team of theirs. While the potential is there elsewhere, its a sure thing in the SEC.

The very last path for two teams from the SEC is a one loss Alabama team winning the SEC and MSU getting in as team #4 as a one loss team, with their lone loss to Alabama. They cant lose to anybody else, including Ole Miss. If Auburn is a one loss SEC winner, it means they hung a 2nd loss on Alabama, thus diminishing the Alabama win over MSU.

And I don't think MSU is close to a lock with one loss and not having played in the SECCG if you have a one loss team in TCU, Michigan St, Oregon or Notre Dame. They might not even get in over a one loss FSU.

The playoffs will be on a national scale. They will take the four best teams in the country. Theyre not going to stay local and take at least half the playoff field from the same division in one particular conference.

Believe.
Post #: 1714
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/3/2014 8:37:59 AM   
Ian Joseph

MSU cant afford to lose two games. If they lose two, theyre out.

You are really overvaluing the SEC, dude.

Believe.
Post #: 1715
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/3/2014 8:46:22 AM   
djskillz

quote:

There is a lot of season left, but the SEC is going to hang 2 losses on just about every team of theirs. While the potential is there elsewhere, its a sure thing in the SEC.

The very last path for two teams from the SEC is a one loss Alabama team winning the SEC and MSU getting in as team #4 as a one loss team, with their lone loss to Alabama. They cant lose to anybody else, including Ole Miss. If Auburn is a one loss SEC winner, it means they hung a 2nd loss on Alabama, thus diminishing the Alabama win over MSU.

And I don't think MSU is close to a lock with one loss and not having played in the SECCG if you have a one loss team in TCU, Michigan St, Oregon or Notre Dame. They might not even get in over a one loss FSU.

The playoffs will be on a national scale. They will take the four best teams in the country. Theyre not going to stay local and take at least half the playoff field from the same division in one particular conference.

I can't agree. They will if they're the best teams; that's all that matters. And they are. You saw the thinking of the committee in the first week with 3 of the 4 from the SEC. I think we'll see at least two in that top 4 all year long.

Post #: 1716
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/3/2014 8:47:40 AM   
djskillz

Ian, I think it boils down to you having more confidence in many of those non-SEC teams running the table than me. I just don't see it for several of those. And I think if the records are comparable, there's no way teams in any other conference beat out those top 4 SEC teams.

Post #: 1717
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/3/2014 9:54:10 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

quote:

I can't agree. They will if they're the best teams; that's all that matters. And they are. You saw the thinking of the committee in the first week with 3 of the 4 from the SEC. I think we'll see at least two in that top 4 all year long.

I don't agree that we saw the committee's thinking the first week of the rankings. We saw them agree with the current polls, based on wins and losses, strength of schedule, their favorite colors and whatever else they think is a deciding factor. For the rankings to be anything except what they were would have been an abomination.

I don't expect much to change with the rankings (well, what really matters anyway), besides Oregon sliding into the number 4 spot. And it shouldn't.

But, again, I have no doubt nor worries that they would get this so wrong, taking two loss teams over very good one loss teams, solely becuz they happen to play in the SEC. Ultimately, that's not going to happen.

Believe.
Post #: 1718
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/3/2014 9:57:23 AM   
djskillz

At the end of the day it should be the 4 best teams, regardless of region/conference, etc. Take the 4 best teams based on strength of schedule and game control and go from there.

Post #: 1719
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/3/2014 10:03:05 AM   
Ian Joseph

And that sounds good, but if we just say that the four best teams all play in the SEC, why bother even playing college football anywhere outside of the SEC?

I don't believe the four best teams or even the three best teams play in the SEC. The defending national champion doesn't play in the SEC (wont debate the fact that they beat an SEC team for it).

Put Oregon on a neutral field with Miss St and they will beat them. Put TCU on a neutral field Miss St and it will be a damn good game. Put Mich St on a neutral field against Auburn and you get a slobberknocker.

Lets pick this conversation up in a week, when the SEC has another two-loss team, whomever that might be.

Believe.
Post #: 1720
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/3/2014 10:19:17 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't agree that we saw the committee's thinking the first week of the rankings. We saw them agree with the current polls, based on wins and losses, strength of schedule, their favorite colors and whatever else they think is a deciding factor. For the rankings to be anything except what they were would have been an abomination.

I don't expect much to change with the rankings (well, what really matters anyway), besides Oregon sliding into the number 4 spot. And it shouldn't.

But, again, I have no doubt nor worries that they would get this so wrong, taking two loss teams over very good one loss teams, solely becuz they happen to play in the SEC. Ultimately, that's not going to happen.

I don't know where you get this assertion. IF they were to take a 2 loss SEC team over a "very good" 1 loss team, it would not in any way be "solely becuz they happen to play in the SEC".

Isn't the idea to get the best 4 teams into the 4 team championship playoff? Not guarantee that no more than 1 team per conference gets in, providing there are at least 4 "very good" teams available? Just becuz?

< Message edited by thebigo -- 11/3/2014 10:21:00 AM >
Post #: 1721
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/3/2014 10:24:17 AM   
djskillz

I also don't get the logic. Let's say for the sake of argument that some combination of FSU/TCU/KSU/Oregon/Michigan State/MSU/Auburn/Alabama/Ole Miss are the best teams in the country. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone with a strong argument for a team outside of that group being the best in the nation. If you look at conference schedules, everyone else but the Big12/SEC has no competitor in their conference in that mix. So it's almost impossible that those SEC teams won't have at least 1 loss each, and a good chance for 2. But can anyone honestly say that they think FSU/TCU/KSU/Oregon/Michigan State wouldn't also have at least 2 losses in the SEC West? I find that hard to believe.

Schedule matters.

Post #: 1722
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/3/2014 12:33:19 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

I also don't get the logic. Let's say for the sake of argument that some combination of FSU/TCU/KSU/Oregon/Michigan State/MSU/Auburn/Alabama/Ole Miss are the best teams in the country. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone with a strong argument for a team outside of that group being the best in the nation. If you look at conference schedules, everyone else but the Big12/SEC has no competitor in their conference in that mix. So it's almost impossible that those SEC teams won't have at least 1 loss each, and a good chance for 2. But can anyone honestly say that they think FSU/TCU/KSU/Oregon/Michigan State wouldn't also have at least 2 losses in the SEC West? I find that hard to believe.

Schedule matters.

Schedule Matters, but was Ole Miss really ever the third best team in the country?
is Miss State?

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 1723
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/3/2014 12:51:39 PM   
John Childress

As long as you get FSU, Oregon, and the SEC Winner in the mix then I think the best team in the country will be represented

Post #: 1724
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 11/3/2014 1:11:30 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

As long as you get FSU, Oregon, and the SEC Winner in the mix then I think the best team in the country will be represented

Exactly.

If FSU, Oregon, Michigan State, win out and the SEC conference champ are in, its a good group.

In that scenario, Dustin should see a cakewalk for the SEC team.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 1725
Page:   <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode