Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  85 86 [87] 88 89   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 10:52:56 PM   
bohumm

I love education. I love that all college sports sometimes bring higher education to people who might not even know they wanted it. But yesterday's model isn't today's or tomorrow's. Let's evolve, and start being honest about what's happening right in front of us. Our educational system is broken, and a web of lies about the ole college try isn't helping. And I say this as someone who makes a living teaching at a for-profit college that exists only because our public higher education institutions can't keep up with the changing demands of contemporary society.

< Message edited by bohumm -- 12/3/2014 10:58:04 PM >
Post #: 2151
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 7:49:15 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

Here's what I proposed in a column in the Twin Cities Reader (Way Back Machine alert):

Make football and basketball players paid employees of their schools’ marketing/fundraising/alumni relations operations, since that's their primary function in the money machine. As employees, they would be free to take classes at no cost just like other employees, but would not be required to do so. However, since it would be better for marketing/fundraising/alumni relations if they enroll and attend classes, they would get a nominal bonus for doing so. They’d get better bonuses for actually advancing toward graduation and graduating, as these further boost marketing/fundraising/alumni relations effectiveness.

Easy, and honest

Neither easy nor honest.
Think about all of the trouble college athletes get in now, with time/class/study table,limitations placed upon them as student athletes.
Now give them more time and money and drop them in the geography of the general student population.
Recipe for disaster.

Nice that you think so highly of your beloved. Fine on the field, but keep them out of my neighborhood.

This is essentially what happens now for the guys who would be a problem anyway.

And Bohumm, I don't have a neighborhood, I bought acreage to keep everybody out of my neighborhood.
My neighbors are all Douglas Firs

Sounds sweet Murf.

I have 88 acres of solitude and find that if you don't have a long enough driveway so you are in the middle of it someone can still squat across the road.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2152
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 9:24:12 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here's what I proposed in a column in the Twin Cities Reader (Way Back Machine alert):

Make football and basketball players paid employees of their schools’ marketing/fundraising/alumni relations operations, since that's their primary function in the money machine. As employees, they would be free to take classes at no cost just like other employees, but would not be required to do so. However, since it would be better for marketing/fundraising/alumni relations if they enroll and attend classes, they would get a nominal bonus for doing so. They’d get better bonuses for actually advancing toward graduation and graduating, as these further boost marketing/fundraising/alumni relations effectiveness.

Easy, and honest

Neither easy nor honest.
Think about all of the trouble college athletes get in now, with time/class/study table,limitations placed upon them as student athletes.
Now give them more time and money and drop them in the geography of the general student population.
Recipe for disaster.

Nice that you think so highly of your beloved. Fine on the field, but keep them out of my neighborhood.

This is essentially what happens now for the guys who would be a problem anyway.

And Bohumm, I don't have a neighborhood, I bought acreage to keep everybody out of my neighborhood.

Sounds sweet Murf.

I have 88 acres of solitude and find that if you don't have a long enough driveway so you are in the middle of it someone can still squat across the road.

That's fine as long as it's not a college football player----unless you live across the road from a stadium
Post #: 2153
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 10:49:28 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Easy, and honest

Neither easy nor honest.
Recipe for disaster.

Sounds sweet Murf.

The only problem I would have with a long driveway is wintertime in MN.

That's a lot of snow to shovel. Better have a personal plow or bobcat or hire somebody.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2154
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 11:49:08 AM   
McMurfy

Wow, terrible news for Nebraska, you hired Mike Riley from Oregon State.

Beaver fans are thrilled to have Mediocre Mike gone.
I'm not kidding, Beaver fans are thrilled.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 2155
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 12:34:31 PM   
Steve Lentz

Interesting choice. Initial shock. The more i research it though the more I settle down.
Lots of calls from Beaver fans coming in.

West Coast Perspective of Mike Riley
Being on the west coast and watching a lot of PAC12 games and also being a San Diego Charger fan...this might be a "splash" hire but I can tell you if you give Riley a chance you will really like him. Very good coach...does more with less than any other coach I have seen.

1) He is a very good and innovative recruiter and it's extremely hard to recruit to OSU...with Oregon in your backyard and it really being in the middle of nowhere. Even after you land for a game there I think its somewhere between a 2 and 2 and 1/2 hour drive...not to mention the facilities and stadium are not very good. He has done a good job of still getting players there.

2) His teams are always very disciplined and don't beat themselves and play very hard for him.

He may not have an overwhelming win/loss record...but that does not tell the whole story about what a good job he does there at Oregon State.

USC has tried to get him away from OSU...really hard after him before they hired Kiffin and also went after him before Sark.

Give the guy a chance and I think you will like him...it's not the hire I thought it would be but I still really think this is a good hire and we will be happy with him.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 2156
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 12:50:50 PM   
Sorry to hear the news for you Nebraska fans.
Mike Riley is borderline senile and doesn't have an ounce of fire in him.
I was hoping he'd stay at OSU ... it's nice to have an annual opponent you can count on beating season after season.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 2157
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 12:53:57 PM   
djskillz

I think it shows the state of the job and what potential candidates think of it. If Florida (a top 5 job in the country?) could only get a guy like McIlwain, then Nebraska was certainly going to get someone even less.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2158
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 12:56:19 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

I think it shows the state of the job and what potential candidates think of it. If Florida (a top 5 job in the country?) could only get a guy like McIlwain, then Nebraska was certainly going to get someone even less.

Disagree. This is a hand picked guy that they have been thinking about for a long time. Florida got a hell of a coach as well. The staff he puts together will be the test for me. Pelini hired buddies that simply couldn't coach.

Post #: 2159
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 12:59:05 PM   
Ed_Marotske

quote:

quote:

Skilz,
Let's say you have a Heisman vote, who do you go with?
You know mine.

I'd probably go Mariota or Bryce Petty. But there hasn't really been a dominant guy this year. Would have leaned towards Gurley if he was allowed to play all year and didn't get hurt.

Melvin Gordon????
Post #: 2160
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 1:00:45 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ed_Marotske

quote:

quote:

Skilz,
Let's say you have a Heisman vote, who do you go with?
You know mine.

I'd probably go Mariota or Bryce Petty. But there hasn't really been a dominant guy this year. Would have leaned towards Gurley if he was allowed to play all year and didn't get hurt.

Melvin Gordon????

Amazing that he's getting overlooked by some. He has put up some numbers that are really unbelievable. Should finish 1st or 2nd in the voting.

Post #: 2161
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 1:00:52 PM   
McMurfy

Any success, and there is very little of it, Oregon State ever had was under Dennis Erickson.
Terrible hire.

All he is nice.
Nice guy, bad modern football coach.
Less innovation than anyone I've ever seen.

Post #: 2162
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 1:02:39 PM   
Steve Lentz

Hopefully both Florida and Nebraska know what their doing. I think they do.

Post #: 2163
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 1:20:59 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Don't know about Florida.
And I like you guys so I won't burst your bubbles too hard.
I'll only say that if 9 and 10 win seasons aren't acceptable in Lincoln ... you're moving in the wrong direction.
People will spin it any way they can to pose their point of view.
Bottom line is that Mike Reilly isn't a very good head coach.
He might be worse than that.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 2164
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 1:23:27 PM   
McMurfy

14 seasons in Corvallis.
4 Top 25 AP Poll finsishes
Best final ranking, 18
Losing seasons 6

Post #: 2165
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 1:40:20 PM   
djskillz

Gordon is a good add. My bad for leaving him out.

I agree with you guys on Riley. Steve, I think McIlwain would be better for another job. Just don't necessarily see him as a Florida/SEC hire. I sure thought they would do a lot better than that. But I have heard that even though Florida is a top job for recruits, competition, etc. that the facilities are actually pretty weak. So maybe that's part of it.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2166
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 3:35:25 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

Gordon is a good add. My bad for leaving him out.

I agree with you guys on Riley. Steve, I think McIlwain would be better for another job. Just don't necessarily see him as a Florida/SEC hire. I sure thought they would do a lot better than that. But I have heard that even though Florida is a top job for recruits, competition, etc. that the facilities are actually pretty weak. So maybe that's part of it.

Can't speak about Florida, but Riley was hand picked and chosen by our AD. We knew who we wanted. There are plenty of coaches that might make a bigger splash, but we didn't even use any outside agencies to find a coach. You think Frost would turn us down? I heard in here that was a done deal.

Post #: 2167
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 3:41:00 PM   
Steve Lentz

Jeremy Crabtree just said that Riley is the best evaluator of talent in the Pac 12. Now he is going to have some resources to work with.
Lots of calls from Portland and they are really high on Riley. Unbelievable developer of talent, tremendous with QB's, solid a person as you can meet. Said that Erickson's best team was mostly Riley recruits.
USC and Alabama have wanted him in the past.

Post #: 2168
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 4:13:28 PM   
Everybody in the state of Oregon who follows college football knew it was time for Riley to step down.
We all thought it'd be retirement though.

Good Luck. There's always a chance.
Maybe he'll get Frost to be his OC.

Post #: 2169
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 4:26:55 PM   
Bill Jandro

The knock on Riley is that he is not very hard working recruiter. Not a real firey guy.

Other than that all the analysis above is spot on.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2170
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 5:18:06 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

Everybody in the state of Oregon who follows college football knew it was time for Riley to step down.
We all thought it'd be retirement though.

Good Luck. There's always a chance.
Maybe he'll get Frost to be his OC.

I would live to add Frost to the staff. Nebraska didn't offer the job to any other candidate so they got who they want. Must be a lot of Oregon folks that don't follow football because we're getting all kinds of calls that say he is the right choice.

Post #: 2171
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 5:19:55 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

The knock on Riley is that he is not very hard working recruiter. Not a real firey guy.

Other than that all the analysis above is spot on.

Personality wise they say he is as close to Tom Osborne as there is. The polar opposite of Bo.

Post #: 2172
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 5:31:22 PM   
McMurfy

Steve, here is the Oregon State fotball record before Mike Riley.
Old timers were thrilled with Riley for getting them above .500
Some still love him because he is a nice guy who grew up in Corvallis and even painted the stadium as a kid.
No one that I know who went to Oregon State, is sad to see him go.
Anyone younger than 60 expects more out of their team than 5-7 wins a year.

That explains what you are "hearing" from guys from Oregon.
Go to an Oregon State board and see if anyone is lamenting the loss.

You're being served a baloney sandwhich and being told it is Prime Cut meat.
Imagine a Slow Pro Style offense less innovative than many currently in the Big 10, that is what you are getting.

1972 Oregon State University Dee Andros 2 9 .182 8th 131 295
1973 Oregon State University Dee Andros 2 9 .182 5th-T 166 293
1974 Oregon State University Dee Andros 3 8 .273 5th-T 285 293
1975 Oregon State University Dee Andros 1 10 .091 7th 103 264
1976 Oregon State University Craig Fertig 2 10 .167 7th-T 179 325
1977 Oregon State University Craig Fertig 2 9 .182 8th 173 303
1978 Oregon State University Craig Fertig 3 7 .300 9th 128 266
1979 Oregon State University Craig Fertig 1 10 .091 10th 147 396
1980 Oregon State University Joe Avezzano 0 11 .000 10th 108 386 Mirage Bowl[7]
1981 Oregon State University Joe Avezzano 1 10 .091 10th 145 469
1982 Oregon State University Joe Avezzano 1 9 1 .136 10th 132 306
1983 Oregon State University Joe Avezzano 2 8 1 .227 9th 171 266
1984 Oregon State University Joe Avezzano 2 9 .182 9th 158 396
1985 Oregon State University Dave Kragthorpe 3 8 .273 9th 160 362
1986 Oregon State University Dave Kragthorpe 3 8 .273 10th 143 270
1987 Oregon State University Dave Kragthorpe 2 9 .182 10th 189 433
1988 Oregon State University Dave Kragthorpe 4 6 1 .409 8th 246 280
1989 Oregon State University Dave Kragthorpe 4 7 1 .375 6th 207 357
1990 Oregon State University Dave Kragthorpe 1 10 .091 10th 152 371
1991 Oregon State University Jerry Pettibone 1 10 .091 9th-T 125 365
1992 Oregon State University Jerry Pettibone 1 9 1 .136 10th 163 363
1993 Oregon State University Jerry Pettibone 4 7 .364 8th-T 224 294
1994 Oregon State University Jerry Pettibone 4 7 .364 8th-T 223 239
1995 Oregon State University Jerry Pettibone 1 10 .091 10th 136 237
1996 Oregon State University Jerry Pettibone 2 9

Post #: 2173
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2014 5:53:17 PM   
Steve Lentz

It looks like it's extremely hard to win at Oregon State.

I'm certainly not telling anyone it is a home run. My initial reaction was wth. Most Nebraska fans had the same reaction. When you fire coaches who get 9 wins than how can you be happy with a guy that doesn't?
You know how crazy this state is about college football. Non stop sports radio all day. I keep hearing from folks in Oregon and others that this guy is as well respected as any coach in college football. His peers love him and he was voted the 2nd most underrated coach in the college. How he takes 2 and 3 star recruits and competes with those much more talented. How he develops QB's and NFL players.

I think some of you know how hard it is to recruit at Oregon State not even considering that their in state rival is dominating the college scene. He's going to be given tools he's never had. Some of the greatest coaches in football didn't have great success until they got to the right program. Hopefully that is what we have here.
Time will tell.

Post #: 2174
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2014 6:45:35 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

What makes you think that Steve? I see no proof of Nebraska knowing what they're doing. I sure hope they do but in no way do I think they do.
Post #: 2175
Page:   <<   < prev  85 86 [87] 88 89   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  85 86 [87] 88 89   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode