Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  84 85 [86] 87 88   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 9:24:18 PM   
McMurfy

Skilz,
Let's say you have a Heisman vote, who do you go with?
You know mine.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 2126
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 9:26:43 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

quote:

Sounding awfully whiny and kevetchy Bohumm.

I have no,problem seperating my experience from that of the college athletes and have no problem saying it's all about big money.

Even if the back of the jersey says Webber, what is on the front of the jersey is what primarily sells it.

Vehemently disagree. You think there weren't millions of Tebow or Manziel fans that could care less about A&M or Florida? Ditto for Webber at Michigan.

Well of course there was but how much Michigan gear has sold since then or before then?

The point is that these athletes are doing as much for the schools as they are for them. How much do you think those guys did to raise the profiles (and money, and applicants, and enrollment, and donations, etc.) of their schools? Yet they're not profiting from that at all. Or even allowed to sell THEIR OWN autograph.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2127
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 9:27:36 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly. I'm not arguing the value of an education. I'm someone who has had over $100K in loans and that's while getting about 2/3 to 3/4 of my college and law school education paid for by scholarships. So I get that. Though let's be real about how institutions actually treat "education" for most of these athletes. BUT these schools are generating billions of dollars off of these athletes (collectively) and the athletes have no real other viable option.

I think it's tough to create a system of massive amounts of cash to the players through the institutions, but I do think players of all sports should get some form of stipend, etc. I think the real answer though, is allowing the athletes to market themselves. I'm with Jay Bilas on this subject. Michael Phelps can still be an "amateur" athlete while generating millions of dollars through endorsements. Why should it be different for college athletes? A great college musician on a full ride scholarship can still make all the money they want producing an album. Why can an athlete not sell their autograph or likeness while the universities can through TV rights, jersey sales, videogames, tickets, etc? That is about as un-American as it gets. That would also solve the disparities between college athletes' values. If you're the benchwarmer on the lacrosse team, guess what, you're not going to make even close to what the star QB makes through marketing and endorsements. That's life. I don't think the longsnapper on Florida or USC think they deserve the same opportunities that Matt Leinart or Tim Tebow did. And to that point, especially with football, we are talking about an incredibly dangerous endeavor with life-threatening consequences. That can potentially be the height of that 20 year old's earning power in their life, yet they don't get to use it. That doesn't make any sense to me. And this is all under the hypocritical eye of the NCAA, where you can eat bagels but it's a violation to eat cream cheese with them. Honestly, what kind of anarchy are we running here? And as coaches like Urban Meyer have said, it's their job and responsibility as a 40-year old with a job to know these rules, but their punishments as coaches/administrators are much lighter than they are for 18 year old kids who in a lot of cases have come from nothing?

I get the argument that boosters/companies will just make sweetheart deals with colleges/athletes in that scenario to entice them to play for them, but it's naive to think that isn't happening right now anyway, and at least that would be a lot more transparent. So pay the players/don't pay the players, but give them their full marketing/endorsement rights to do as they wish with their likeness. Anything less is incredibly unfair.

That's a good take.
I still think the simplest way is to take school out of the equation.
You don't need to go to school to do many layman type jobs, why does a football player have to?

He doesn't Art, once he's 20 he can try out for pro and semi pro leagues.

No matter how you slice it, it's still a de facto minor league to the NFL.
And the NFL loves it because it costs them nothing ... doesn't compete with them ... it's basically like stealing cable.

Well then let's pay High School kids for feeding the College System.
Hell, why stop there, I'll sign my sons up for Pop Warner and the NFL can send me a check, and the NCAA, and the OSAA.

Post #: 2128
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 9:27:37 PM   
djskillz

quote:

Skilz,
Let's say you have a Heisman vote, who do you go with?
You know mine.

I'd probably go Mariota or Bryce Petty. But there hasn't really been a dominant guy this year. Would have leaned towards Gurley if he was allowed to play all year and didn't get hurt.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2129
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 9:30:24 PM   
quote:

I hate the argument that the athlete who came from nothing can't afford a cheeseburger.
OK, then eat in the cafeteria provided to you, and by the way, the athletic training table is now under no limitations by the NCAA and is up to the school.

To that athlete, I ask where they'd be without the college?
On a street corner?
In the army?

The amounts pro athletes make is already enough to almost cause a riot, why should we subsidize their journey as well?

As far as the NFL goes, college players are like indentured servants.
Pay with your sweat, then you'll be free to earn your worth in cash.
I mean cmon ... where else would that fly?
Universities are the football plantations of the 21st century.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 2130
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 9:31:42 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have no,problem seperating my experience from that of the college athletes and have no problem saying it's all about big money.

Even if the back of the jersey says Webber, what is on the front of the jersey is what primarily sells it.

Vehemently disagree. You think there weren't millions of Tebow or Manziel fans that could care less about A&M or Florida? Ditto for Webber at Michigan.

Well of course there was but how much Michigan gear has sold since then or before then?

The point is that these athletes are doing as much for the schools as they are for them. How much do you think those guys did to raise the profiles (and money, and applicants, and enrollment, and donations, etc.) of their schools? Yet they're not profiting from that at all. Or even allowed to sell THEIR OWN autograph.

The schools are doing plenty for the students.
A buddy of mine was roommates with Gary Trent at Ohio.
He had to leave the room as girl would come and go all day, until they started coming two at a time.

Tough to feel too bad for Gary.

Post #: 2131
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 9:33:00 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

I hate the argument that the athlete who came from nothing can't afford a cheeseburger.
OK, then eat in the cafeteria provided to you, and by the way, the athletic training table is now under no limitations by the NCAA and is up to the school.

To that athlete, I ask where they'd be without the college?
On a street corner?
In the army?

The amounts pro athletes make is already enough to almost cause a riot, why should we subsidize their journey as well?

As far as the NFL goes, college players are like indentured servants.
Pay with your sweat, then you'll be free to earn your worth in cash.
I mean cmon ... where else would that fly?
Universities are the football plantations of the 21st century.

Many play because they enjoy playing.
Nobody ever picked cotton for fun.

Post #: 2132
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 9:38:11 PM   
The gardner picks anything for the knowledge that comes from it.
He doesn't have to go to school to learn ... or garden.
And he can sell his cotton or tomatoes or strawberries on top of it.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 2133
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 9:39:24 PM   
bohumm

I agree with both of you. Fans love the schools first and want good players, who they also love. But if you took all the BCS schools' players and formed an alternative venture that sought balanced development of young men through pro football development and other opportunities and replaced them at the BCS schools with the next best 7000 or so players, the BCS enterprise would quickly look like Bowling Green and have the same fan appeal--popular with alums, less so regionally and locally, not much nationally. The bowls and networks would follow the higher quality, more marketable players' league and a new era would begin.

Or the schools could just offer $35K or so per year to football and BB players, cover room and board, allow them to take classes for free or hook them up with vocational training, etc, if they want or let them just play ball and stop with all the lies.
Post #: 2134
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 9:46:30 PM   
bohumm

Here's what I proposed in a column in the Twin Cities Reader (Way Back Machine alert):

Make football and basketball players paid employees of their schools’ marketing/fundraising/alumni relations operations, since that's their primary function in the money machine. As employees, they would be free to take classes at no cost just like other employees, but would not be required to do so. However, since it would be better for marketing/fundraising/alumni relations if they enroll and attend classes, they would get a nominal bonus for doing so. They’d get better bonuses for actually advancing toward graduation and graduating, as these further boost marketing/fundraising/alumni relations effectiveness.

Easy, and honest
Post #: 2135
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 9:53:43 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Here's what I proposed in a column in the Twin Cities Reader (Way Back Machine alert):

Make football and basketball players paid employees of their schools’ marketing/fundraising/alumni relations operations, since that's their primary function in the money machine. As employees, they would be free to take classes at no cost just like other employees, but would not be required to do so. However, since it would be better for marketing/fundraising/alumni relations if they enroll and attend classes, they would get a nominal bonus for doing so. They’d get better bonuses for actually advancing toward graduation and graduating, as these further boost marketing/fundraising/alumni relations effectiveness.

Easy, and honest

Neither easy nor honest.
Think about all of the trouble college athletes get in now, with time/class/study table,limitations placed upon them as student athletes.
Now give them more time and money and drop them in the geography of the general student population.
Recipe for disaster.

Post #: 2136
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 9:55:50 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He had to leave the room as girl would come and go all day, until they started coming two at a time.

So the school was getting Gary Trent laid.
Post #: 2137
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 9:59:35 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

Easy, and honest

Neither easy nor honest.
Think about all of the trouble college athletes get in now, with time/class/study table,limitations placed upon them as student athletes.
Now give them more time and money and drop them in the geography of the general student population.
Recipe for disaster.

Nice that you think so highly of your beloved. Fine on the field, but keep them out of my neighborhood.

This is essentially what happens now for the guys who would be a problem anyway.
Post #: 2138
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 10:09:56 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Easy, and honest

Neither easy nor honest.
Recipe for disaster.

Nice that you think so highly of your beloved. Fine on the field, but keep them out of my neighborhood.

This is essentially what happens now for the guys who would be a problem anyway.

Not at all, the same applies to guys in the miltary, minor league ballplayers, or guys at Band camp.
Give a young person too much time and money and watch something stupid happen.
Miley Cyrus?
Justin Bieber?
Colt Lyerla?

Post #: 2139
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 10:10:51 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So the school was getting Gary Trent laid.

The school provided that platform to put him in the spotlight.

Post #: 2140
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 10:12:38 PM   
djskillz

Football/basketball do. Not the schools. The schools are benefitting from being the "minor league" of the NFL as much as the athletes.

Post #: 2141
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 10:13:29 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Easy, and honest

Neither easy nor honest.
Recipe for disaster.

And Bohumm, I don't have a neighborhood, I bought acreage to keep everybody out of my neighborhood.
My neighbors are all Douglas Firs

Post #: 2142
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 10:15:32 PM   
I've been to the Doug Fir Lounge.

Post #: 2143
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 10:20:27 PM   
McMurfy

Here is a link, who says these guys aren't students?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8551210/ncaa-graduation-rates-improving-football-basketball

Athletes in men's basketball graduated at a rate of 74 percent, a 6 percentage-point jump over the 2004-05 freshman class. Football Bowl Subdivision athletes improved their scores by 1 percentage point over the previous year, hitting 70 percent.

These numbers likely exceed those of the general student population.

Post #: 2144
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 10:21:36 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

I've been to the Doug Fir Lounge.

Yeah, so have I.
Last week I took clients to Fogo De Chau,
that was pretty good and kind of fun.

Post #: 2145
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 10:22:58 PM   
djskillz

quote:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8551210/ncaa-graduation-rates-improving-football-basketball

Athletes in men's basketball graduated at a rate of 74 percent, a 6 percentage-point jump over the 2004-05 freshman class. Football Bowl Subdivision athletes improved their scores by 1 percentage point over the previous year, hitting 70 percent.

Yes, taking courses such as "African American Studies" and PE.

Post #: 2146
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 10:29:39 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

Who cares, you still need two years of General Studies.

Post #: 2147
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 10:37:03 PM   
I think we can all say it's a complicated issue as is the whole National Championship.
CFB is going to have to change/adapt some way or another.

Post #: 2148
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 10:40:33 PM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

quote:

And do you believe there isn't rampant cheating/covering up going on everywhere? I know for a fact that a lot of this went on at a small school like Pepperdine, with girls even being "paid for" in some instances. So it's for damn sure going on at bigger institutions.

Post #: 2149
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/3/2014 10:44:08 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And do you believe there isn't rampant cheating/covering up going on everywhere? I know for a fact that a lot of this went on at a small school like Pepperdine, with girls even being "paid for" in some instances. So it's for damn sure going on at bigger institutions.

I believe there is cheating and covering up going on everywhere.

Goverment
Corporations
Schools
Sports
Churches
Non Profits
Police

Post #: 2150
Page:   <<   < prev  84 85 [86] 87 88   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  84 85 [86] 87 88   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode