Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  191 192 [193] 194 195   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/19/2015 4:24:03 PM   
djskillz

I know it hasn't happened yet, but I still maintain the Tiggers are in for a very Phillies-esque fall, very soon. It's going to be brutal, and ugly. Much like their city.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 4801
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/19/2015 4:30:39 PM   
Mr. Ed

Dodgers lefty Hyun-jin Ryu is weighing the possibility of a surgical option to solve his shoulder problems, Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports on Twitter. While Passan notes that a report out of Ryu’s native Korea suggests surgery will take place this week, his sources say that a decision has yet to be made.

This development is the latest sign of trouble for Ryu, who has struggled to regain velocity as his shoulder has continued to prove problematic. Ryu has yet to pitch this year, and recent reports indicated that he did not even have a timetable to re-start a throwing program.

The Mariners have agreed to acquire catcher Welington Castillo from the Cubs in exchange for right-handed reliever Yoervis Medina, the clubs announced. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports first reported the deal on Twitter.

Castillo, who only recently turned 28, has long seemed one of the more likely players in the game to be dealt — as I explained in breaking him down as a trade candidate back in March. Over the offseason, the Cubs dealt for Miguel Montero and signed David Ross to back him up, leaving Castillo without an obvious role.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4802
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/19/2015 8:42:41 PM   
ewen21

You guys see this? I freakin love it. Classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl-4FSRYagc

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 4803
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/19/2015 8:49:52 PM   
Mr. Ed

Earl was awesome. Smoked cigs when Stanhouse was pitching, giving him nickname Full Pack.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4804
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/19/2015 9:41:39 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

You guys see this? I freakin love it. Classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl-4FSRYagc

Absolutely hilarious.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 4805
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/19/2015 10:50:54 PM   
ewen21

Arguing with Ron Luciano, part of Haller's crew.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 4806
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/20/2015 12:43:37 AM   
SoMnFan

Marlins pen blows another late one for Jennings.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4807
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/20/2015 12:45:58 AM   
SoMnFan

Rays move into a tie for the AL East lead

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4808
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/20/2015 1:06:33 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

I know it hasn't happened yet, but I still maintain the Tiggers are in for a very Phillies-esque fall, very soon. It's going to be brutal, and ugly. Much like their city.

OK Bert.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4809
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/20/2015 1:06:58 PM   
twinsfan

Bert chicken to show up in Pittsburgh.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4810
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/20/2015 1:07:57 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Dodgers lefty Hyun-jin Ryu is weighing the possibility of a surgical option to solve his shoulder problems, Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports on Twitter. While Passan notes that a report out of Ryu’s native Korea suggests surgery will take place this week, his sources say that a decision has yet to be made.

This development is the latest sign of trouble for Ryu, who has struggled to regain velocity as his shoulder has continued to prove problematic. Ryu has yet to pitch this year, and recent reports indicated that he did not even have a timetable to re-start a throwing program.

The Mariners have agreed to acquire catcher Welington Castillo from the Cubs in exchange for right-handed reliever Yoervis Medina, the clubs announced. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports first reported the deal on Twitter.

Castillo, who only recently turned 28, has long seemed one of the more likely players in the game to be dealt — as I explained in breaking him down as a trade candidate back in March. Over the offseason, the Cubs dealt for Miguel Montero and signed David Ross to back him up, leaving Castillo without an obvious role.

When is the last time TR made a trade? He sits on his hands a lot.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4811
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/20/2015 2:01:01 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Bert chicken to show up in Pittsburgh.

Thank god.
I love Smalley.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4812
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/21/2015 3:25:31 PM   
Stacey King

Career with Reds

Deion Sanders: 226 games, 94 SB, 29 CS, .260/.319/.346

Billy Hamilton: 201 games, 86 SB, 26 CS, .240/.290/.354
Post #: 4813
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/21/2015 3:26:16 PM   
Stacey King

Hanley Ramirez

April: 91 PA, 10 HR, 22 RBI, .293/.341/.659
May: 60 PA, 0 HR, 0 RBI, .228/.267/.281
Post #: 4814
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/21/2015 3:30:06 PM   
djskillz

Needs a new supply stat.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 4815
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/21/2015 8:38:41 PM   
Mr. Ed

The Dodgers say that Arruebarrena has been suspended for the season due to “repeated failures to comply with his contract,” per J.P. Hoornstra of the L.A. News Group (Twitter link).

3:47pm: The Dodgers have indefinitely suspended Cuban shortstop Erisbel Arruebarrena for undisclosed disciplinary reasons, reports Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register. President of baseball operations Andrew Friedman confirmed to Plunkett that the 25-year-old Arruebarrena is suspended but declined to give further detail, referring to the situation as an “internal matter.” As Plunkett points out, that would suggest that Arruebarrena has not done something that would warrant a league-mandated suspension (e.g. PED usage, drug of abuse).

Arruebarrena won’t collect any of his guaranteed salary while he is on the restricted list. The defensive-minded shortstop signed a five-year, $25MM contract with the Dodgers in February 2014 that contained a $7.5MM signing bonus and called for annual salaries of $1.5MM (2014), $3MM (2015), $4MM (2016-17) and $5MM (2018). The Dodgers’ new front office — headed by Friedman, GM Farhan Zaidi and senior vice president Josh Byrnes — clearly was never as enamored with Arruebarrena as the preceding group; Arruebarrena was designated for assignment this offseason and outrighted off the 40-man roster after clearing waivers.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4816
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/22/2015 7:40:13 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Needs a new supply stat.

Papi can hook him up

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4817
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/22/2015 8:24:59 AM   
SoMnFan

He had a slow start after his shoulder injury, but JJ Hardy is getting back at it again. GW Rbi in the O's win last night.

Brewers Smith gets ejected for a mix of rosin and sunscreen on his arm while pitching. Oh the humanity.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 5/22/2015 8:26:43 AM >

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4818
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/22/2015 8:39:11 AM   
SoMnFan

Bowdens Insider
20 most-likely to be traded guys.
Some familiar faces.

Jim Bowden, Baseball, Insider

The trade buzz has begun to pick up as we approach late May, and I foresee a handful of big names being traded before the July 31 trade deadline. In fact, I expect the flurry leading up to the deadline to be as exciting as the winter meetings were in terms of player movement.

Of course, a lot will change between now and then, depending on how many games out of the playoffs each team is at that point. Per the norm, most deals will be "buyers" trading with "sellers" and proven players traded for prospects or younger, unproven major leaguers. But I also believe there will be some need-for-need type of deals made that will be just as impactful.

For instance, one of the best trades this offseason was the trade between the Tigers and Blue Jays in which unproven 24-year-old center fielder Anthony Gose was sent to Detroit in exchange for second base prospect Devon Travis. This was a need-for-need deal that worked for both teams. We've seen other similar deals at the deadline over the past couple years, such as the one in 2010 in which the Cardinals traded starting outfielder Ryan Ludwick to the Padres in a three-team deal that landed the Cardinals proven starting pitcher Jake Westbrook and prospect Nick Greenwood. (And who did the Indians, the third team in that deal, get? Some unknown right-handed pitcher at the time named Corey Kluber.) The Cardinals got their veteran starting pitcher, the Padres got a starting outfielder, and the Indians got younger by nabbing a prospect.

Trade likeliness scale

1: Unlikely
2: Chance
3: Solid chance
4: Good chance
5: He gone

Below is my list of the 20 major leaguers most likely to be traded before July 31. This list puts emphasis on players who are impending free agents (after this season) and playing for either non-contending teams or teams on the brink. It was compiled after talking to front-office executives and scouts from all 30 teams and includes input from agents in various cases.

So put your seat belt on and enjoy what's sure to be an action-filled couple of months:

Starting pitchers

Johnny Cueto, RHP
Cincinnati Reds
Trade likeliness rating: 3
Best fit: Red Sox

Interested teams: Astros, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees

Cueto, a free agent after this season, has pitched more innings than anyone in the National League since the start of the 2014 season and is 23-13 over that span with a 2.42 ERA and 0.96 WHIP. He is a true staff ace and has proven he can pitch well in any all ballpark and endure any type of situation. The Reds are looking for young starters in return, and it appears the Red Sox can offer them the best package among the contending teams.

Cole Hamels, LHP
Philadelphia Phillies
Trade likeliness rating: 4
Best fit: Dodgers

Hamels, signed through 2018 with a club option for 2019, is the most valuable pitcher on the trade market because the acquiring club will control him through 2019 at market value. However, the Phillies don't have to trade him, and they won't if they don't get the package they're looking for. But I believe some team will pony up, especially given Hamels' postseason success.

Scott Kazmir, LHP
Oakland Athletics
Trade likeliness rating: 5
Best fit: Cardinals or Dodgers

Kazmir, a free agent-to-be, has an impressive 8.9 K/9 rate this season, and opponents are hitting just .214 against him. The A's are not going to be able to sign him long-term, so he'll be dealt, and the A's should be able to get plenty for him. The Dodgers and Cardinals are the favorites, given their strong farm systems.

Mike Leake, RHP
Cincinnati Reds
Best fit: Astros

Leake is one of the most underrated middle-of-the-rotation pitchers in baseball. He's durable, affordable and would be a perfect fit in the Astros rotation after Dallas Keuchel and Collin McHugh.

Jeff Samardzija, RHP
Chicago White Sox
Trade likeliness rating: 2
Best fit: Marlins

Interested teams: Astros, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Dodgers, Marlins, Red Sox, Yankees

I expect the White Sox to contend all season and Samardzija to stay put. He is a free agent at the end of the season, but his preference is to stay in Chicago (either Cubs or White Sox). That said, if the White Sox were to fall out of the playoff race, they would probably trade Samardzija at the deadline and then try to re-sign him in the offseason.

Yovani Gallardo, RHP
Texas Rangers
Best fit: Blue Jays

Interested teams: Astros, Blue Jays, Dodgers, Marlins

The Rangers traded top infield prospect, Luis Sardinas, to get Gallardo, a free agent-to-be, this past offseason, but if they're not in the race at the end of July, they'll try and get similar talent back for him. Their preference would be to get a solid starting pitching prospect in return.

Matt Garza, RHP
Milwaukee Brewers

Interested teams: Astros, Blue Jays, Giants, Mariners, Royals

The Brewers need to rebuild, retool and sell off their best assets. Garza's competitiveness would help a contending team, and teams such as the Astros and Blue Jays could stand to upgrade the middle of their starting rotations. That said, Garza, who is signed through 2017 and has a vesting option for 2018, will have to start pitching better between now and then to have any trade value.

Aaron Harang, RHP
Philadelphia Phillies
Best fit: Astros

Interested teams: Astros, Blue Jays, Royals

Player value is like the stock market, and Harang's stock is never going to higher than it is right now (he has a 1.82 ERA in nine starts). The Phillies should trade him now for a prospect.

Kyle Lohse, RHP
Milwaukee Brewers
Best fit: Giants

Interested teams: Astros, Blue Jays, Dodgers, Giants

Lohse's stock is down, and the Brewers are better off waiting until the end of July and hope his sinker and effectiveness returns. He could be a solid back-of-the-rotation starter for one of the contending teams.

Relief pitchers

Jonathan Papelbon, closer
Philadelphia Phillies

Interested teams: Blue Jays, Marlins

Papelbon is signed through 2015 with a vesting option for 2016. The Phillies will have to pay down his $13 million annual salary by about $4-5 million per season to get a good enough return. However, there's not much of a market for closers right now, even one with the impressive track record of Papelbon, who is once again dominating this season (11 saves, 1.50 ERA, 0.89 WHIP).

Tyler Clippard, RHR
Oakland A's
Best fit: Mets

Interested teams: Cubs, Dodgers, Mets, Tigers

Clippard, who is set to become a free agent after this season, remains one of the best eighth-inning relievers in baseball. Teams will be lining up for him.

Francisco Rodriguez, Closer
Milwaukee Brewers
Best fit: Marlins

Interested teams: Blue Jays, Marlins

Rodriguez is signed through 2016 with a team option for '17. It makes sense for the Brewers to trade him again, but it will be difficult this time because teams don't want that 2016 contract commitment.

Infielders

Jean Segura, SS
Milwaukee Brewers
Best fit: Mets

Interested teams: Mets, Padres

The Mets and Padres both could use an upgrade at shortstop, and Segura, who is under team control through 2018, has the potential to be just that. The problem, however, is he's not hitting and his defense has been subpar (like it was last year). For one of those teams to have interest, he'll have to return to the form he showed in 2013, when he hit .294, hit 12 homers and stole 44 bases.

Aramis Ramirez, 3B
Milwaukee Brewers
Best fit: Giants

Interested teams: Giants, White Sox

Ramirez is going to retire at the end of the season and was hoping to finish his career as a Brewer. However, he also has indicated he'd like the chance to go out as a winner, so there's a strong chance he'll be dealt. He would be a great "rent-a-player" for either the Giants or White Sox.

Ben Zobrist, IF/OF
Oakland A's
Best fit: Tigers

Interested teams: Angels, Cubs, Giants, Mets, Nationals, Tigers

Zobrist had knee surgery in April and is expected back in early June. That should give him 4-6 weeks to get back in shape and build his trade value. The switch-hitting multi-position player would be a good fit with just about every contending team, but his left-handed bat would be an especially good fit for the Tigers, who just placed Victor Martinez (knee) on the DL and have a righty-heavy lineup.

Carlos Santana, 1B/DH
Cleveland Indians
Best fit: Rays

Interested teams: Angels, Mariners, Rays, Tigers

Santana has averaged 24 home runs and 84 RBIs per 162 games over the course of his career. He also has led the majors in walks since the start of the 2014 season. However, he's at that point in his career when a change of scenery would help him. The Rays need some offensive pop and could get him some DH starts.

Outfielders

Carlos Gonzalez, OF
Colorado Rockies
Best fit: Angels

Interested teams: Angels, Cubs, Mariners

The Rockies haven't won more than 74 games in a season since 2010, and it's time to take a different approach. It appears the Rockies are not going to move Troy Tulowitzki but CarGo is a different story. Wth the emergence of Charlie Blackmon and Corey Dickerson, Gonzalez is expendable. He will make $16 million this year, $17 million next year and $20 million in 2017. The Rockies will have to pay down a significant amount of that to trade him and get any type of return. However, when healthy, CarGo still has the ability to hit 20 home runs and steal 20 bags and would be a perfect fit for the Angels in left field.

Ben Revere, OF
Philadelphia Phillies
Best fit: Angels

Interested teams: Angels, Mariners

The Angels prefer Revere over Gonzalez because he makes only $4.1 million this year and has no long-term exposure. He also would give the Angels much-needed speed atop their lineup.

Jackie Bradley Jr., OF
Boston Red Sox
Best fit: Rockies

Interested teams: Mariners, Rockies

If the Rockies trade Gonzalez, then Bradley, who is arbitration-eligible in 2017 and under team control through '19, would be an ideal center fielder for them. The Gold Glove-caliber defender would provide great range in center, and the altitude would help him emerge as a hitter.

Wilin Rosario, C/OF
Colorado Rockies
Best fit: Mariners

Interested teams: Angels, Mariners, Rays

Rosario still has great power; the problem is finding a position for him. A trade to an American League team would help him, and the Mariners would be a solid fit. He could play some first base and left field there, with some occasional DH time, and act as the third catcher. His power is for real.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4819
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/22/2015 8:48:27 AM   
djskillz

My guess is that the Twins will want to see where they're at around July before making any move for a pitcher. Which I can't fault them for. If you don't think you're a true contender this year why pay for another year (or at least half year) of an ace vs. waiting until the offseason or next year? And I'm talking about cost in a trade (ie prospects), not money.

Would love to get Hamels or Cueto. But I really want to sign Price this offseason. Though I seriously doubt we'll be able to outbid the Cubs/Yankees/RedSox, who will all be after him. My hunch is he ends up in Chicago with his old manager, and a 1-hour flight from his Nashville home.

Post #: 4820
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/22/2015 8:57:16 AM   
SoMnFan

We're not even gonna kick the tires ......

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4821
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/22/2015 8:57:27 AM   
Mr. Ed

Perfect fit

Never in MN

Ever

How sad, unless you're talking slop-baller has been. Then Ryan is all over it.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4822
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/22/2015 9:05:08 AM   
SoMnFan

Ummm, ya remember, ummm, when, ya know ... ahhhhhh, the SF Giants they uhhhh, couldn't win like a game in spring training? You remember that? Ahhhh, remember when the experts they all, uhhhh, remember when they said that the Giants were, ummmm, ya know ... dead and stuff?
Ahh, uhhhhh, guess not, huh? (in my best Chris Farley)

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4823
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/22/2015 9:09:50 AM   
SoMnFan

My god the Mets just keep rolling out some great young arms.
Someones doing something right over there.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4824
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/22/2015 9:12:25 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

My god the Mets just keep rolling out some great young arms.
Someones doing something right over there.

Some very good scouts and development coaching.

Jealous

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4825
Page:   <<   < prev  191 192 [193] 194 195   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  191 192 [193] 194 195   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode