Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  342 343 [344] 345 346   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/18/2017 11:53:38 AM   
sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

I see Plouffe signed for $750,000.

Far cry from the $15 million some geniuses in here said he was worth a year ago

$750,00??? I believe it was 5 million.

JANUARY 18: The A’s have announced the deal. Plouffe gets a $5.25MM guarantee, per Jon Heyman of Fan Rag (Twitter link). He can also earn $150K upon reaching 350 plate appearances, another $300K if he gets to 450, and then $300K more if he reaches 525 trips to the plate, per Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). There’s also a one-time, $250K trade bonus.

I guess the $750,000 was in incentives.

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 8576
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/18/2017 1:31:13 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

Shhhhhh, you're ruining someone's good-and-fuzzy feeling. 😀
Post #: 8577
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/18/2017 6:52:17 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

quote:

JANUARY 18: The A’s have announced the deal. Plouffe gets a $5.25MM guarantee, per Jon Heyman of Fan Rag (Twitter link). He can also earn $150K upon reaching 350 plate appearances, another $300K if he gets to 450, and then $300K more if he reaches 525 trips to the plate, per Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). There’s also a one-time, $250K trade bonus.

What a joke these "incentives" are in the MLB contracts. How about incentives that actually mean something. Like BA, HR, RBI, etc. Getting incentives to play per your contract is a joke. So in essence, the incentives say "stay in the lineup and you get paid more". Stupid stuff. I am really soured on MLB. They are losing me as a fan.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 8578
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/18/2017 9:57:31 PM   
Mr. Ed

Hall of Famers

Bagwell
Raines
Pudge

me, I've seen better.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8579
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/19/2017 8:05:22 AM   
twinsfan

Hello all,

I am extremely honored and humbled to have received the call today that I will be enshrined into the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It's the perfect way to cap my 23-year career. When I began playing professional baseball, I just wanted to be one of the best at my position. I wasn't thinking of Cooperstown. But now that I will be inducted next summer, I am overcome with a wave of emotion and I am so excited to share this honor with my family. I would like to thank everyone who helped me become who I was on the baseball field, including my family and teammates. I would like to thank everyone in the media who advocated for my Hall of Fame candidacy. I can't tell you how much it means to me that this honor was so important to you as well. Lastly, I want to thank the fans from all of the cities that I played in. You gave me strength and support to do things I did on the field. And merci Montreal. See you all in Cooperstown this summer.

- Rock

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8580
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/19/2017 9:18:04 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Hall of Famers

Bagwell
Raines
Pudge

me, I've seen better.

Most boring list of HOF players yet.

Post #: 8581
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/19/2017 9:48:05 AM   
Mr. Ed

Hall of Very Good. Fame?

Pudge, maybe.

There are all kinds of cheaters in MLB, and have been over the years.

I see Bonds/Clemens both got over 50% voting.

Bagwell was an alleged cheater. Raines used drugs.

No choir boys. Cheaters must have to be proven.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8582
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/19/2017 9:57:15 AM   
TJSweens

No worries. Big Poppy is a cheatin ass bastard, he'll get in on the first ballot.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8583
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/19/2017 10:06:04 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

Hall of Famers

Bagwell
Raines
Pudge

me, I've seen better.

Really? I haven't been this excited since Bert got in.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8584
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/19/2017 10:15:20 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

No worries. Big Poppy is a cheatin ass bastard, he'll get in on the first ballot.

JMO

If Poppy gets in,then Sosa and McGwire should be in.

They basically got MLB back in the limelight with their HR barrages. MLB had hurt themselves through their strike and lockout cluster-f's, and in part, it was
these 2 that turned things around.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8585
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/19/2017 12:38:58 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

Hall of Famers

Bagwell
Raines
Pudge

me, I've seen better.

Really? I haven't been this excited since Bert got in.

Jeff Bagwell and Pudge R? Pudge was a roider. If he got in, then everyone from the roids era including Arod, McGwire and Sosa have to be invited as well.

Post #: 8586
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/19/2017 3:41:45 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

JMO

If Poppy gets in,then Sosa and McGwire should be in.

They basically got MLB back in the limelight with their HR barrages. MLB had hurt themselves through their strike and lockout cluster-f's, and in part, it was
these 2 that turned things around.

Not JYO.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 8587
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/22/2017 12:06:55 PM   
twinsfan

RIP Yordano Ventura. This sucks.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8588
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/22/2017 1:08:19 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

1 of 2 that died overnight
in separate crashes

Royals right-hander Yordano Ventura died in a car crash in the Dominican Republic on Sunday morning. This was a separate crash from the one that took the life of fellow Dominican Andy Marte. Ventura was 25 years old.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8589
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/22/2017 1:36:18 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

Matt, you should connect the dots here. I assume he died but you provided zero information.

Post #: 8590
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/22/2017 2:13:04 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Awful.
Losing some very talented young men the past couple seasons
Sad.
Post #: 8591
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/25/2017 12:36:10 PM   
MDK

MLB stars who were never top-100 prospects From ESPN INsider

Jeff Sullivan
Special to ESPN.com

There's no player better than Mike Trout. You never expect a Mike Trout, but the winter before 2011, Baseball America named him their No. 2 prospect. Clayton Kershaw? Pretty great. He topped out as the No. 7 prospect. Alex Rodriguez was once the No. 1 prospect. Same with Joe Mauer and Bryce Harper. Prospect lists are valuable because they tell us where a lot of MLB's talent ultimately comes from. Player evaluators tend to know what they're doing.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Top systems, prospects for every MLB team
We rank the top systems, the top 100 prospects and the top prospects in every organization for 2017.
However, while many great players were previously great prospects, not all of them were ranked among the best prospects. Who are today's great players who were never ranked on those kinds of lists?
For simplicity's sake, my value measure is FanGraphs' version of Wins Above Replacement, or fWAR. To determine a prospect's past background, I'm leaning on Baseball America's lists going back to 1990 with the goal to find the best players who never ranked among the top-100 prospects.

Best Who Never Cracked Top 100, Career
PLAYER CAREER WAR
M. Holliday 49.9
R. Cano 49.0
J. Lackey 42.9
B. Zobrist 40.7
J. Bautista 34.1
Y. Molina 33.3
J. Donaldson 31.8
S. Victorino 31.0
J. Shields 31.0
C. Crisp 30.0

Ranked by FanGraphs WAR (fWAR)

Best Who Never Cracked Top 100, 2014-2016
PLAYER PAST 3 YEARS WAR
J. Donaldson 22.9
C. Kluber 18.0
P. Goldschmidt 16.4
J. Altuve 16.2
K. Seager 14.8
J. Quintana 14.6
B. Dozier 13.9
L. Cain 13.6
R. Cano 13.2
B. Crawford 13.2

In my first table, none of these players was ever a top-100 prospect. On the left, you'll find the best active players by career WAR; on the right, the best active players by WAR in the past three seasons. The list on the right provides a better idea of the best such players today.

Matt Holliday is the active leader in career WAR among players who weren't Baseball America top-100 prospects. He holds a narrow lead over Robinson Cano, a lead that could conceivably disappear by June or July. John Lackey is the leader among pitchers, with a nearly 12-WAR lead over James Shields.

Over the past three years, though, it's a different story. Josh Donaldson not only leads this group, but also among all players, prospects and non-prospects, only Mike Trout has had a higher three-year WAR. Donaldson was once a first-round pick, but he was traded a year later, and then he converted from catcher to third base. He didn't break out in the majors until he was 27.

Corey Kluber is the three-year leader among pitchers, with a lead of a few wins' worth of value over Jose Quintana. You can pick your favorite transaction, as far as their getting nabbed by their current teams: The Padres dealt Kluber away for Ryan Ludwick, while the White Sox grabbed Quintana after the Yankees allowed him to become a minor league free agent.

On one hand, all these players are overachievers and have incredible stories to tell. On the other hand, it's possible to make our definition stricter. That look limited things to the top 100 prospects, but there can be other good prospects beyond the top 100, right? Conveniently, Baseball America doesn't only release a top-100 list; it also releases top-10 lists for every team every year. As an example, here's a history of the Royals' top-10 lists.

Now let's repeat the look to find out who was never a top-100 prospect or an organizational top-10 prospect. Once again, it's active leaders on the left and leaders over the past three years on the right.

Best non-top-100, non-top-10 players
Here are the best active players to never be billed as top-100 overall or as top-10 prospects within their organizations.
PLAYER CAREER WAR
B. Zobrist 40.7
S. Victorino 31.0
J. Shields 31.0
C. Crisp 30.0
J. Peralta 28.7

Top non-top-100, non-top-10 players, 2014-2016
Here are the best active players to never be billed as top-100 overall or as top-10 prospects within their organizations.
PLAYER PAST 3 YEARS WAR
C. Kluber 18.0
P. Goldschmidt 16.4
J. Altuve 16.2
J. Quintana 14.6
J. Turner 12.8

Now it's Ben Zobrist's turn to shine, as he has a lead of almost 10 wins in career value. Zobrist was drafted in the sixth round by the Astros, but he was never one of their top-10 prospects. He was traded to the (Devil) Rays, but he was never one of their top-10 prospects, either. But say this for Zobrist: He always had the numbers. As a minor league shortstop, he posted a remarkable .428 OBP. He was discounted because of his relatively advanced age and his lack of pop. But at the age of 28, he hit 27 homers, and he has routinely run out strong OBPs in the majors. By the advanced metrics, he has been a good defensive infielder.

Shane Victorino was sufficiently underrated that he was twice selected in the Rule 5 Draft. As for Shields, he got better at every level. He was a changeup-first starting pitcher with an inconsistent breaking ball, and those pitchers can be easy to overlook.

It's probably a little more fun to focus on the players who have been so good more recently, which brings us back to Kluber. In the minors, Kluber struck out better than a batter an inning, but he credits his breakout to a sinker he started throwing during a Triple-A rain delay. He was never a big-velocity guy, but he did hang around the low 90s, and he came together as he improved his command. Location can make up for any number of drawbacks.

Paul Goldschmidt is a pretty well-known "miss." Over three minor league seasons, he slugged .620. There were concerns about his mobility and his tendency to strike out. Clearly, he hasn't struck out too often, and thanks to a focus on excellent conditioning, Goldschmidt in the majors is one shy of 100 career stolen bases. Everything has clicked.

It's no mystery why people missed on Jose Altuve. In the minors, he wasn't a shortstop, and he was five-and-a-half feet tall. Getting respect was always going to be an uphill battle, but to Altuve's credit, his minor league OPS was .867. As for Quintana, he was suspended all year as a teenager in 2007. The Yankees signed him from the Mets, but it took years for him to get out of short-season ball, and he didn't have big velocity or swing-and-miss tendencies. With the White Sox, he has perfected his fastball command.

Then there's Justin Turner, who wasn't a good major leaguer until he was 29. Turner was a decent hitter in the minors, but he was somewhat undersized, and it wasn't until he crossed paths with Marlon Byrd that he reworked his swing into the powerful assault it is today. Turner had the skill, but he wasn't applying it right. It's safe to say he has optimized his approach.

These aren't all the good non-prospects, but these are the best of them. There are plenty more overachievers, such as Brian Dozier, Matt Carpenter, Kole Calhoun and Jacob deGrom.

The takeaway message shouldn't be that prospect lists are a waste of everyone's time. Indeed, great players tend to show what they are early on. Many of tomorrow's best players will have been today's best prospects.

But don't get too wrapped up in what the top-prospect lists say. There are far more players off a list than on it, and out of that field, some excellent careers will surely emerge.

< Message edited by MDK -- 1/25/2017 12:37:59 PM >

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 8592
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/29/2017 12:02:25 PM   
SoMnFan

Think this is awesome ...

The Baltimore Orioles and Toronto Blue Jays outfielder Jose Bautista have a history of hostility. The feud apparently will continue in 2017, at least from Baltimore's perspective.

During the Orioles' FanFest on Saturday, center fielder Adam Jones spoke out about his belief that the Baltimore outfield needs more speed and athleticism.

Asked Saturday by a young fan at the team's FanFest about his opinion of Bautista, Chris Davis didn't hold back.

"He's actually a pretty good dude," Davis said but then added after a pause, "said no one ever."

He then added that Bautista is "a guy who's easy to dislike."
Post #: 8593
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/29/2017 12:18:48 PM   
SoMnFan

Brandon Moss is close to signing with Royals according to source

Post #: 8594
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/29/2017 5:04:14 PM   
Mr. Ed

CHICAGO -- The way Hall of Famer Frank Thomas sees it, Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens might as well be enshrined if players linked to performance-enhancing drugs are getting elected.

The Big Hurt, a longtime critic of players using PEDs, spoke out again during the Chicago White Sox's annual fan convention Saturday.

"They should be in now, as far as I'm concerned," Thomas said. "They've let a few people in already we all know. It's uncomfortable at this point. I'm sure this year's going to be uncomfortable because we've got two great players going in, but they know. It's no secret. If they didn't do it, they would be stomping and kicking and in interviews saying, 'I didn't do it.'"

Bonds and Clemens, whose careers were tainted by allegations of steroid use, were passed over for the fifth straight year by the Baseball Writers' Association of America in voting announced a week and a half ago. But both received a majority of votes for the first time and could be in position to get elected in the next few years.

Ivan Rodriguez and Jeff Bagwell did get in despite allegations of PED use, along with Tim Raines, Thomas' teammate with the White Sox.

Jose Canseco wrote in a 2005 book that he showed Rodriguez how to inject steroids. Bagwell has faced speculation that he used PEDs mainly because he went from hitting six home runs in two minor league seasons to 449 with the Houston Astros from 1991 to 2005.

Raines used cocaine. But while Thomas was thrilled to see him get elected, he doesn't really think players who used performance-enhancing drugs belong.

"Not happy at all," Thomas said to a round of applause from fans. "Some of these guys were great players, but they wouldn't have been great players without drugs. ... I don't mind these guys doing what they want to do for their families and make their money. But don't come calling to the Hall of Fame and say, 'I'm supposed to be in the Hall of Fame,' when you know you cheated."

He said if those players are going to get in, then Bonds, Clemens and Sammy Sosa should be enshrined, too -- in a wing devoted to PED use. Otherwise, he said, keep them all out.

Thomas said other Hall of Famers feel the same way.

"Trust me, there's a lot of internal talk going on," he said. "A lot of guys that I respect that are real, true Hall of Famers, all they have is their legacy. They didn't make this kind of money. ... They're not happy about this at all."

Thomas, a two-time MVP with the White Sox who hit 521 homers in a career that spanned from 1990 to 2008, was inducted in 2014. He spoke out against PED use during his career and lost friendships as a result, though he did acknowledge using amphetamines known as "greenies" for an energy boost early in his career.

"There are some days that you just don't have energy to do anything," Thomas said. "It's seven days a week. It's a grind. You're flying all times of the night. We didn't have the restrictions they got now. We used to get into cities at 5:30, 6 in the morning, we'd have a day game. When I first came up -- they kind of cleaned up as I got older in the league -- it was rough travel. It gave you a lot more energy."

Thomas also said all-time hits leader and fellow Fox Sports analyst Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame as well as Fred McGriff. Rose has never appeared on the ballot because of a lifetime ban following an investigation into his gambling.

"I think in this society, everybody deserves a second chance," Thomas said of Rose. "If you're gonna let the PED guys in, he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame."

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8595
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2017 10:21:19 AM   
MDK

Is cocaine a PED? I would think cocaine was a performance inhibiting drug, a PID or a performance hindering drug, a PHD.

Still one of the funniest bits ever by Lewis Black

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/xriavq/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-back-in-black---steroid-testimony

< Message edited by MDK -- 1/30/2017 10:26:15 AM >

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 8596
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2017 10:31:33 AM   
SoMnFan

Something ironic about Frankie Thomas whining about performancing enhancing issues
He's making money right now hawking testosterone that "the ladies will love too"
I've always found him creepy.

Probably still pissed he damn-near killed me back in the day at the MetroDome
Showed up early for a game and went into the OF bleachers to shag HR balls during BP
Committed my ultimate sin .. was not paying attention while walking down to a decent seat ... felt one of Franks bombs graze by my ear.
Woke me up right quick.
Post #: 8597
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2017 10:59:13 AM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Something ironic about Frankie Thomas whining about performancing enhancing issues
He's making money right now hawking testosterone that "the ladies will love too"

Showed up early for a game and went into the OF bleachers to shag HR balls during BP
Committed my ultimate sin .. was not paying attention while walking down to a decent seat ... felt one of Franks bombs graze by my ear.
Woke me up right quick.

Big Frank better be more concerned that he was lucky enough to get into the HOF with more at bats as a DH than a defensive player.

Post #: 8598
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2017 11:05:17 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Woke me up right quick.

Big Frank better be more concerned that he was lucky enough to get into the HOF with more at bats as a DH than a defensive player.

Bingo
Maybe we should all whine about that
So tired of hypocrites in that whole don't-let-em-in HOF BS
Post #: 8599
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 1/30/2017 12:10:39 PM   
Mr. Ed

To the HOF voters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re61B8sKQWk

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8600
Page:   <<   < prev  342 343 [344] 345 346   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  342 343 [344] 345 346   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode