Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  344 345 [346] 347 348   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/28/2017 12:18:28 PM   
TJSweens

Buxton with a 2 out double to set the table for the base clogger.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8626
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/28/2017 12:21:33 PM   
TJSweens

Who strikes out on 3 pitches. All swings, surprisingly enough.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8627
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/29/2017 11:08:22 AM   
McMurfy

Uh Oh, a 5'7" SS will not pass the Murf/SoMn eye test.
with apologies to Jose Altuve of course.

The Yankees starting shortstop on Opening Day looks as if it will be 5-foot-7 Ronald Torreyes. At this point, he is expected to be backed up by slick fielding, light hitting Pete Kozma. The Yankees have sent Tyler Wade, a 22-year-old prospect, to minor league camp. Didi Gregorius is expected to be out around 6 weeks with his shoulder injury.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 8628
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 3/29/2017 1:38:50 PM   
SoMnFan

Fails our eye test, miserably.
Post #: 8629
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/2/2017 6:55:44 PM   
Mr. Ed

Giants ace Madison Bumgarner hit two home runs Sunday to set the major league record for the most Opening Day home runs by a pitcher.

The Giants' starter hit homers in both of his at-bats. Bumgarner hit a line-drive homer against Arizona's Zack Greinke to set the record.

Hall of Famer Don Drysdale is the only other pitcher with multiple Opening Day home runs, but he hit one homer in two separate openers, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Bumgarner is the first Giants pitcher with a multihomer game since Jim Gott in 1985, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8630
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/2/2017 6:59:54 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Giants ace Madison Bumgarner hit two home runs Sunday to set the major league record for the most Opening Day home runs by a pitcher.

The Giants' starter hit homers in both of his at-bats. Bumgarner hit a line-drive homer against Arizona's Zack Greinke to set the record.

Hall of Famer Don Drysdale is the only other pitcher with multiple Opening Day home runs, but he hit one homer in two separate openers, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Bumgarner is the first Giants pitcher with a multihomer game since Jim Gott in 1985, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

I feel an SMF post is on its way.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8631
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/2/2017 7:31:27 PM   
SoMnFan

More concerned about my Giants blowing another save in the opener
Had all off-season to fix their only problem.
And didn't get it done.
They usually fix their problems. Could have saved us from the Cubs debacle last year, if they just had some reliable relievers.
Post #: 8632
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/2/2017 7:31:42 PM   
SoMnFan

Upton cut loose by the Jays.
Post #: 8633
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/2/2017 9:45:08 PM   
SoMnFan

Cubbies swinging and missing tonight. A lot.
Their biggest weakness.
Good featured opener in St Louis.
Post #: 8634
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/2/2017 11:00:13 PM   
SoMnFan

Barn-burner in St Louis
Miracles still happening for Cubs
Tied at 3 in the ninth
Contreras with a 3-run shot in the ninth
Post #: 8635
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/2/2017 11:16:21 PM   
SoMnFan

Grichuk comes thru in the bottom of the ninth for the Cards
Pretty sure the Cubs are going 0-162 this year.
Still on pace.
Post #: 8636
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/7/2017 10:43:56 AM   
twinsfan

Tricky, tricky Yadier or pitcher.... pinetar

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/04/06/222694630/video-yadier-molina-has-a-baseball-stuck-to-his-catchers-gear

"Wedged" OK, MLB. We know Yadier and the Cards are your sacred cows, but come on....wedged.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8637
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/7/2017 10:54:08 AM   
Mr. Ed

I read Molina had pinetar on his vest to "get a better grip" on the ball throwing it back.

Um...ok

Springer of the Astros first to go back to back since Roberto Kelly in 1990

Ending a game w/HR, starting a game with HR.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8638
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/7/2017 10:52:05 PM   
twinsfan

Jesse Chavez is a fun pitcher to watch. Angels are a quality team in a quality stadium in a quality suburb.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8639
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/7/2017 11:15:16 PM   
twinsfan

Valencia with a nice D play at 1b for the M's. Now a solid single. Still like that guy.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8640
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/7/2017 11:34:13 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Valencia with a nice D play at 1b for the M's. Now a solid single. Still like that guy.

Hey! I saw him first ...
Post #: 8641
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/7/2017 11:45:38 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Hey! I saw him first ...

You saw him. But I saw HIM.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8642
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/8/2017 4:00:50 AM   
SoMnFan

On this date: Aaron becomes the home run king

On April 8, 1974, Hank Aaron surpasses Babe Ruth as the all-time home run leader with his 715th homer.

I was 12 and we were invited up the road to our neighbors house that evening.
As the parents and others gathered in the kitchen, I snuck away to the old huge black-and-white TV with the crappy reception they had in their living room.
I honestly expected that chase to go on for awhile, Hank had a ton of pressure on him, and the talk all Spring was about him dealing with the death threats and the racial pressure.
Babe Ruth was our white hero, he was the symbol of the game to white America and many could not handle that his precious records were about to be broken and tainted.
My parents were the most open-minded people I'd ever met, and they followed the chase with great interest, pulling hard for him to break the record.
I remember yelling as soon as he swung, for Hanks homers were that way. You knew they were gone before he made contact. Fast, hard, and compact was his beautiful swing.
I remember my parents racing in from the other room, and watching in glee.
I remember my heart racing into my throat as the two young white men who had jumped on to the field approached Hank. We had been so conditioned to expect the worst behavior, but fortunately, thankfully, they were there to celebrate with him, albeit illegally.
It was a huge event. Everyone came into the room and stood in silence for the longest time. It was a record we thought never achievable, really.
But the racial implications and accomplishment overshadowed the athletic part of the accomplishment (at the time) by miles. People in my part of the world were split into groups, as usual.
Some cried in joy, some sulked in anger. It was history, and I was lucky to see it live as it happened. And I'll never forget how it made me feel.
It was interesting to still be alive and interested when Barry Bonds began to get close. Trust me it was NOTHING like the chase Mr Aaron had to endure.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 4/8/2017 4:03:11 AM >
Post #: 8643
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/8/2017 7:06:47 AM   
twinsfan

Great post, SMF. One of the most underrated moments in sports, even though I have seen the replay many times.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8644
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/8/2017 11:07:36 PM   
twinsfan

Clayton Kershaw gave up back-to-back HR for the FIRST time in his career tonight. Pretty remarkable in this era. He could retire today and maybe get in the HOF, but he finally gave up back-to-back HR at the mid to latter part of his astounding career.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8645
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/8/2017 11:09:35 PM   
SoMnFan

Yanks are getting off to a rocky start
Injury-bug
Sanchez goes on the DL with a biceps issue
Post #: 8646
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/8/2017 11:16:21 PM   
twinsfan

Icky is pitching for the Angels on MLB Network right now.

I hate him.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8647
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/8/2017 11:19:05 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

On this date: Aaron becomes the home run king

On April 8, 1974, Hank Aaron surpasses Babe Ruth as the all-time home run leader with his 715th homer.

I was 12 and we were invited up the road to our neighbors house that evening.
As the parents and others gathered in the kitchen, I snuck away to the old huge black-and-white TV with the crappy reception they had in their living room.
I honestly expected that chase to go on for awhile, Hank had a ton of pressure on him, and the talk all Spring was about him dealing with the death threats and the racial pressure.
Babe Ruth was our white hero, he was the symbol of the game to white America and many could not handle that his precious records were about to be broken and tainted.
My parents were the most open-minded people I'd ever met, and they followed the chase with great interest, pulling hard for him to break the record.
I remember yelling as soon as he swung, for Hanks homers were that way. You knew they were gone before he made contact. Fast, hard, and compact was his beautiful swing.
I remember my parents racing in from the other room, and watching in glee.
I remember my heart racing into my throat as the two young white men who had jumped on to the field approached Hank. We had been so conditioned to expect the worst behavior, but fortunately, thankfully, they were there to celebrate with him, albeit illegally.
It was a huge event. Everyone came into the room and stood in silence for the longest time. It was a record we thought never achievable, really.
But the racial implications and accomplishment overshadowed the athletic part of the accomplishment (at the time) by miles. People in my part of the world were split into groups, as usual.
Some cried in joy, some sulked in anger. It was history, and I was lucky to see it live as it happened. And I'll never forget how it made me feel.
It was interesting to still be alive and interested when Barry Bonds began to get close. Trust me it was NOTHING like the chase Mr Aaron had to endure.

Fantastic stuff Scott.

Aaron and Ali, not only the best at what they did, they did it under circumstances that need to be remembered. Certainly there was a contrast in style, but both of these men contributed to society in profound ways, way beyond their mastery of sport.
Post #: 8648
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/8/2017 11:46:53 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Icky is pitching for the Angels on MLB Network right now.

I hate him.

Said it when he was here .... one of the most unlikable players of his era.
So he has that going for him ... which is, ya know ..... nice
Post #: 8649
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 4/8/2017 11:47:45 PM   
SoMnFan

Thanks JT and Matt
Saw that TDiH moment, and it took me right back to that time.
Post #: 8650
Page:   <<   < prev  344 345 [346] 347 348   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  344 345 [346] 347 348   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode