Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  356 357 [358] 359 360   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/13/2017 5:15:26 PM   
SoMnFan

Bam!!!!!
Post #: 8926
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/13/2017 5:51:43 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Aaron Judge
Holy sheet.

The new Mike Trout?????

59 games 254 PA's 213 AB's 22 HR's 49 rbi's .347/.453/.728/1.180

A pretty good start to the season.

Except he's only 8 months younger than Trout, and Trout's been doing this for 6 years.

Kid is ridiculous though. That young Yankee offense is LOADED and it's only going to get better with Torres and Bird.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 8927
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/13/2017 6:41:33 PM   
djskillz

This is so awesome. I hope they keep doing it for a long time.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/06/10/beat-freeze-braves-fan-running-fail-video

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 8928
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/13/2017 9:17:51 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

This is so awesome. I hope they keep doing it for a long time.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/06/10/beat-freeze-braves-fan-running-fail-video

That was great!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8929
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/16/2017 8:54:28 AM   
SoMnFan

The Houston Astros have the best record in baseball, but the dream season has hit a few bumps. Starting pitchers Dallas Keuchel, Lance McCullers Jr. and Charlie Morton are all on the disabled list, along with Collin McHugh, who has been out all season with an elbow injury.

The need: another starter for the Astros

The Astros are being cautious with left-hander Keuchel (neck discomfort) and right-hander McCullers (sore back), taking advantage of their big lead in the American League West to not push them through what don’t appear to be major injuries at this time. Thanks to those two, the rotation boasts the second-best ERA in the majors behind the Diamondbacks, but you only get so many chances to win a ring. Another starting pitcher would provide some depth and probably line up as the team’s No. 3 starter in the playoffs ahead of Mike Fiers and Joe Musgrove.

Here are some of the options that might be available:

Who would say no?

Does a trade with the White Sox make sense for the Astros? Vote at the bottom of the page »

Sonny Gray, Oakland Athletics
4.37 ERA | 3.40 FIP | .253/.303/.396 | 23.7% SO rate | 7.1% BB rate

The good news is that after battling injuries in 2016 and starting the season on the DL with a lat strain, Gray is healthy and throwing well. Would the A’s trade the right-hander within the division? Never say never, as I’m sure Billy Beane -- if he doesn’t think the A’s can compete with the Astros the next two or three seasons -- wouldn’t mind extracting two prospects and their 12 combined seasons of team control from a West foe. Still, intra-division deals are rare.

Yu Darvish, Texas Rangers
3.03 ERA | 4.10 FIP | .194/.281/.345 | 25.8% SO rate | 9.7% BB rate

Darvish is a free agent after this season, and unless the Rangers go in the tank between now and July 31, I’d predict they keep their ace and hope to make a run at one of the wild cards.

Jason Vargas, Kansas City Royals
2.10 ERA | 3.22 FIP | .236/.283/.342 | 20.1% SO rate | 5.6% BB rate

Another would-be rental, Vargas is pitching the best baseball of his career. While his BABIP is normal, he’s still outpitching his FIP thanks to an unsustainable strand rate, and his home-run rate -- especially for a fly-ball pitcher -- is probably due for a spike. But if you want to bet on the hot hand, this might be the guy.

Gerrit Cole, Pittsburgh Pirates
4.54 ERA | 4.57 FIP | .268/.312/.485 | 19.5% SO rate | 5.7% BB rate

Cole is under control through 2019, so he’d be expensive even though he hasn’t pitched that well. Given his mediocre strikeout rate and home-run problems so far, I’d be wary about bringing him to the American League.

Best trade match: Jose Quintana, Chicago White Sox

5.30 ERA | 4.17 FIP | .259/.330/.441 | 22.8% SO rate | 9.2% BB rate

So this gets us to the pitcher linked to the Astros since last offseason. From 2013-16, Quintana pitched 200 innings each season and compiled a 3.35 ERA. If he wasn’t quite an ace, his durability and consistency made him one of the best starters in the league. With a team-friendly contract that goes through 2020 for a total of $30.85 million over the final three seasons, everybody thought the White Sox would trade him over the winter. They didn’t and it might have been a mistake.

Quintana has allowed five or more runs in four of his 13 starts, with some minor spikes in walk rate and home-run rate compared to his career norms. His ERA looks bad, but the FIP is a respectable 4.17, and while the extra walks aren’t helping, one reason for his high ERA is a low strand rate of 66.7 percent, significantly below his 78 percent rate of the previous two seasons.

The more you dig into the numbers, Quintana is mostly the same pitcher. His velocity is fine, his strikeout rate is actually a career high, his “well-hit average” is lower than his career rate. I see a pitcher who is better than his ERA and has probably pitched in some bad luck. Vargas has been better so far, but I’d probably take Quintana the rest of season.

Of course, the White Sox would love to see him reel off three or four good starts in a row to convince teams they could get the same package they might have wanted over the winter.

What do they need? Everything! The hauls for Chris Sale and Adam Eaton brought in pitching prospects Michael Kopech, Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez and Dane Dunning, with Dunning -- the least heralded of the four -- having the best season. In other words, you can never have too many pitching prospects. That’s why the White Sox should ask for Francis Martes, Houston’s top prospect. He’s up now filling in for the depleted rotation even though he was struggling in Triple-A. Still, he’s 21, and throws mid-90s with a swing-and-miss curveball.

The White Sox will also ask for outfielder Kyle Tucker, Houston’s first-round pick in 2015, but the Astros aren’t trading him. Would they part with Derek Fisher, who was tearing up Triple-A and homered in his big league debut Wednesday? I like Fisher a lot and he has the ability to help them this season. If he can handle left field, they could slide Marwin Gonzalez into some first base and designated hitter to help the offense even more.

So let’s try a different direction: The Astros also include pitcher Franklin Perez, a 19-year-old Venezuelan with an advanced, four-pitch repertoire, third baseman J.D. Davis, who is hitting .286 with 16 home runs at Double-A, but has some swing-and-miss in his game, and outfielder Teoscar Hernandez, a potential starting outfielder who reached the big leagues last season but is blocked in Houston.

Good teams keep trying to get better.
Post #: 8930
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/16/2017 9:13:50 AM   
djskillz

Man, I hope the White Sox don't fleece ANOTHER team with a Quintana deal. Houston should take a hard PASS on a deal for him.

Post #: 8931
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/16/2017 9:55:39 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Man, I hope the White Sox don't fleece ANOTHER team with a Quintana deal. Houston should take a hard PASS on a deal for him.

Quintana is one of the most overrated pitchers of our generation. He's not very good, and never has been good. He's had a lucky season or two like Blackburn also managed to do in his career. I may burn all my Astros gear if they trade for Quintana.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8932
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/16/2017 4:51:45 PM   
Mr. Ed

Veteran Tigers slugger Victor Martinez has been diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat, according to manager Brad Ausmus (via Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press, on Twitter). Martinez will be placed on the 10-day DL.

Martinez left last night’s game with symptoms of illness, though at the time there was no indication of a significant problem. He ended up requiring an overnight stay in the hospital, and Ausmus suggests that he may do so again tonight, as Evan Woodberry of MLive.com tweets.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8933
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/16/2017 4:52:58 PM   
Mr. Ed

So this "probable" isn't even true

Santiago Sunday?

Nope

Santiago will throw another pen Saturday. Threw 31 pitches Thursday. Molitor would like to see a rehab outing. Pen role a possibility.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8934
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/16/2017 4:53:15 PM   
Mr. Ed

Probably Gibson

Not much better.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8935
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/17/2017 11:36:25 AM   
SoMnFan

Plouffe heading to Tampa to join the Rays.
Will be a nice back up to Eva and a good bench bat to have.
Post #: 8936
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/17/2017 2:36:47 PM   
SoMnFan

Mr Freeze gets his ass handed to him.

https://www.facebook.com/mlb/videos/10155455893147451/

So, that's over.
Post #: 8937
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/17/2017 7:52:54 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Mr Freeze gets his ass handed to him.

https://www.facebook.com/mlb/videos/10155455893147451/

So, that's over.

Fast kid.

But the Freeze was faster.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8938
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/19/2017 3:10:58 PM   
SoMnFan

Stuff happens

New York Yankees prospect Gleyber Torres (MLB.com's No. 2 overall) has torn UCL in left elbow, will miss rest of 2017.
Post #: 8939
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/19/2017 4:11:45 PM   
djskillz

Crazy all these position player UCL injuries.

We are doing something wrong in the baseball training regimens of these kids. Either too much weights, not enough off-time, something... Whatever it is, it's not working.

Post #: 8940
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/19/2017 4:16:43 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Crazy all these position player UCL injuries.

We are doing something wrong in the baseball training regimens of these kids. Either too much weights, not enough off-time, something... Whatever it is, it's not working.

Isnt it nuts?
Makes zero sense
OUr state is in the state tourney stage right now ... the last several teams I've watched, have had at least one guy who already has had it done.
And these are young kids who aren't going anywhere.
SOMETHING is definitely wrong
Post #: 8941
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/19/2017 6:18:19 PM   
twinsfan

Anyone know who the Nats TV announcers are? Wondering who is doing the color? Sounds like he must be a former Expo...talking about Montreal. Doesn't have the typical TV man voice. Sounds kinda like Vince Gill.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8942
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/19/2017 7:51:35 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Anyone know who the Nats TV announcers are? Wondering who is doing the color? Sounds like he must be a former Expo...talking about Montreal. Doesn't have the typical TV man voice. Sounds kinda like Vince Gill.

The library says

Bob Carpenter, Play-by-play Announcer, 2006 - present.
FP Santangelo, Color Commentator, 2011 - Present.
Johnny Holliday, Studio Host, Substitute Play-by-play Announcer, 2007 - Present.
Ray Knight, Studio Analyst, Substitute Color Commentator, 2007 - Present.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8943
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/19/2017 8:37:50 PM   
Mr. Ed

Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy has been diagnosed with a fracture in his right wrist and won’t be able to resume baseball activities for four to six weeks, the Orioles announced to reporters (Twitter link via the Baltimore Sun’s Jon Meoli). Hardy won’t undergo surgery but will be in a soft cast for some time. He’ll need additional time to ramp back up after that initial four- to six-week healing period. Speculatively speaking, a late-July return seems like a best-case scenario, though his absence certainly could linger into August as well.

Hardy was struck on the wrist by a 93mph fastball from Lance Lynn over the weekend

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8944
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/19/2017 9:11:53 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

The library says

Bob Carpenter, Play-by-play Announcer, 2006 - present.
FP Santangelo, Color Commentator, 2011 - Present.
Johnny Holliday, Studio Host, Substitute Play-by-play Announcer, 2007 - Present.
Ray Knight, Studio Analyst, Substitute Color Commentator, 2007 - Present.

Must be FP Santangelo. He spent time in Montreal. Can't believe he's already 50.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8945
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/20/2017 10:29:06 AM   
SoMnFan

Rizzo with a dirty slide last night.
Lets see what happens.
I'm guessing nothing.
Post #: 8946
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/20/2017 11:45:27 AM   
twinsfan

Cubs are above the rules:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/padres-manager-mad-anthony-rizzo-cheap-shot-plate-050808273.html

I don't like the rule. But it is a rule. And Rizzo clearly violated it.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8947
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/20/2017 11:46:08 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Lets see what happens.
I'm guessing nothing.

Wow, we must be on the same page. I didn't see your post until now.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8948
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/20/2017 12:43:14 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

Lets see what happens.
I'm guessing nothing.

I'm not nearly as bad a guy as you think I am.
Post #: 8949
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/20/2017 12:50:07 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lets see what happens.
I'm guessing nothing.

I'm not nearly as bad a guy as you think I am.

You stole that from Sweeney.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8950
Page:   <<   < prev  356 357 [358] 359 360   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  356 357 [358] 359 360   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode