Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  359 360 [361] 362 363   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2017 8:51:24 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Not one bit.
Stud
Flat out. Stud.
Trout-ish

They keep losing guys to injury, but replace them with more studs.

I know you were a Didi guy, so was I. He's had a really nice first half.
Post #: 9001
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2017 8:53:05 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Not one bit.
Stud
Flat out. Stud.
Trout-ish

The boatload of riches there is unreal right now.
Biggest problem is how to get them all into the bigs one day
Great problem to have.
Not saying it will pan out, but they have at least set themselves up to have zero excuses for a decade.
Post #: 9002
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2017 8:59:42 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Not one bit.
Stud
Flat out. Stud.
Trout-ish

The boatload of riches there is unreal right now.
Biggest problem is how to get them all into the bigs one day
Great problem to have.
Not saying it will pan out, but they have at least set themselves up to have zero excuses for a decade.

The bat depth is incredible. A few pitching issues need to be solved.

A healthy squad and Girardi's biggest problem will be selecting the batting order.
Post #: 9003
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2017 9:05:40 PM   
SoMnFan

As you say, in this day of injury/etc
You simply need to over-stockpile
Post #: 9004
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2017 9:08:45 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Which leads me back to the SS's MN is adding

Polanco
Vielma
Gordon
Palacios
Gore
Javier
Lewis

Going to be a good problem to have

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9005
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2017 9:10:15 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Which leads me back to the SS's MN is adding

Polanco
Vielma
Gordon
Palacios
Gore
Javier
Lewis

Going to be a good problem to have

Yup, if you have a SS, then another good SS goes to second or third or first, it works well.
Post #: 9006
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/2/2017 10:48:13 AM   
David Levine

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!

Today, the New York Mets will pay 54-year-old Bobby Bonilla, who hasn’t played for the Mets since 1995, another $1,193,248.20 paycheck.

Every July 1st, from 2011 to 2035, the Mets owe Bonilla payment as part of deferring the $5.9 million the Mets owed him from the 2000 season, a year in which he didn’t play for the team, because they released him in January. As part of arguably the best contract in the history of sports, Bonilla’s agent worked out a deal that deferred payment (with an 8 percent annual interest rate).

Bonilla is seven payments in, worth $8,352,737.40, with 18 annual more coming his way. Once 2035 rolls around, Bonilla will have made a whopping $29.8 million.
Post #: 9007
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/2/2017 1:43:32 PM   
David Levine

Sometimes I just love the game of baseball.

The co-leaders in the AL batting race

Post #: 9008
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/2/2017 5:50:36 PM   
Mr. Ed

Right

Nothing is juiced

Home runs are up around MLB this season, but league officials are certain there are no irregularities with the baseballs.

Major League Baseball on Saturday sent a memo to all 30 teams (via Bob Nightengale of USA Today) that explained the testing procedure and results for balls.

"The baseball in use today tests well within the established guidelines on every key performance metric," the memo states. "Furthermore, there is no evidence that the composition of the ball has changed in any way that would lead to a meaningful impact on on-field play."

According to MLB Stat of the Day, the 1,101 home runs hit in June were the most in any month in history. May's total of 1,060 now ranks third all time, and May 2000 is second with 1,069.

The 56 home runs hit June 17 marked the third-most on any day in MLB history, per the Elias Sports Bureau (via ESPN.com).

Those numbers, and others, caused some to wonder whether baseballs had been altered.

"There's a lot of people unhappy with the baseball, and I'm getting the same feedback," New York Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen said, per Nightengale. "You're seeing guys going opposite field, breaking their bats, and the balls are flying out.

"It's the balls. They're throwing harder with it, but they're getting less movement, so they're just hanging there."

Despite the complaints, MLB stated everything is on the up and up on its end.

Expand the strike zone. Go back to letters to knees. Pitching isn't that great, but when the umps make them put it on a tee, what do you expect?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9009
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/2/2017 7:22:18 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Sometimes I just love the game of baseball.

The co-leaders in the AL batting race

THAT is awesome
Post #: 9010
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/2/2017 8:48:03 PM   
SoMnFan

My my my ... Bryce Harper sure does love a stage ....
Gotta respect guys who walk the walk
Post #: 9011
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/3/2017 12:19:32 AM   
SoMnFan

Two of the NL’s relief pitchers chosen for next week’s All-Star Game were metro-area high school products Pat Neshek of the Philadelphia Phillies and Brad Hand of the San Diego Padres.

Neshek, 36, is a Park Center grad and was drafted by the Twins in the sixth round in 2002. The Phillies are his sixth major league team. This will be his second All-Star Game. The righthander has a 1.39 ERA in 35 games this season.

Hand, 27, is a Chaska grad and was drafted by the Miami Marlins in the second round in 2008. He was claimed off waivers by the Padres last year. This will be his first All-Star Game. The lefthander has a 2.47 ERA and 53 strikeouts in 39 games this season.

Very cool
Post #: 9012
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/3/2017 9:41:43 AM   
twinsfan

New rule: No Cubs allowed in the MLB All-Star game "Final Vote" process. What a farce.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9013
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/3/2017 9:43:39 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Right

Nothing is juiced

Home runs are up around MLB this season, but league officials are certain there are no irregularities with the baseballs.

Major League Baseball on Saturday sent a memo to all 30 teams (via Bob Nightengale of USA Today) that explained the testing procedure and results for balls.

"The baseball in use today tests well within the established guidelines on every key performance metric," the memo states. "Furthermore, there is no evidence that the composition of the ball has changed in any way that would lead to a meaningful impact on on-field play."

According to MLB Stat of the Day, the 1,101 home runs hit in June were the most in any month in history. May's total of 1,060 now ranks third all time, and May 2000 is second with 1,069.

The 56 home runs hit June 17 marked the third-most on any day in MLB history, per the Elias Sports Bureau (via ESPN.com).

Those numbers, and others, caused some to wonder whether baseballs had been altered.

"There's a lot of people unhappy with the baseball, and I'm getting the same feedback," New York Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen said, per Nightengale. "You're seeing guys going opposite field, breaking their bats, and the balls are flying out.

"It's the balls. They're throwing harder with it, but they're getting less movement, so they're just hanging there."

Despite the complaints, MLB stated everything is on the up and up on its end.

Expand the strike zone. Go back to letters to knees. Pitching isn't that great, but when the umps make them put it on a tee, what do you expect?

I think it's obvious there is something different with the baseballs. There's no way HRs should be spiking like this. They are most likely harder balls with tighter seams.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9014
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/3/2017 10:55:44 AM   
twinsfan

It appears Price confronted Eckersley concerning his comments about another player:

Since joining the Red Sox prior to last season in a contract worth over $200 million, David Price hasn't fared too well. He's pitched to a 4.08 ERA, nearly a full run higher than his previous career mark. He missed an extended amount of time due to an injury for the first time in his career.

Then, once he returned from injury this season, he started to spar with the Boston media. We passed along the news in early June, when it didn't seem like he really had a specific, concrete complaint.

Now there's another reported incident, which seems just as puzzling. Via the Boston Globe:

John Farrell, Dave Dombrowski, and David Price met before Friday night's game over an incident in which Price verbally confronted NESN analyst Dennis Eckersley on the team flight from Boston to Toronto after Thursday night's game.

The Globe report indicates that no one would really speak to exactly what went down, but that Price said "some people just don't understand how hard this game is."

That's true, but he's talking about having a disagreement with Eckersley? A Hall of Fame pitcher?

As best anyone can tell, Price was upset about Eckersley's comments when Price didn't cover first base on a grounder to the right side.

Eckersley throwing in "I've done it. It happens," seems like the nicest possible critique of all-time. If Price was really mad about that to the point that the two had a confrontation, good lord.

Regardless, just ignore the media and pitch, man. This is getting ridiculous.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9015
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/3/2017 10:59:24 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

It appears Price confronted Eckersley concerning his comments about another player:

Since joining the Red Sox prior to last season in a contract worth over $200 million, David Price hasn't fared too well. He's pitched to a 4.08 ERA, nearly a full run higher than his previous career mark. He missed an extended amount of time due to an injury for the first time in his career.

Then, once he returned from injury this season, he started to spar with the Boston media. We passed along the news in early June, when it didn't seem like he really had a specific, concrete complaint.

Now there's another reported incident, which seems just as puzzling. Via the Boston Globe:

John Farrell, Dave Dombrowski, and David Price met before Friday night's game over an incident in which Price verbally confronted NESN analyst Dennis Eckersley on the team flight from Boston to Toronto after Thursday night's game.

The Globe report indicates that no one would really speak to exactly what went down, but that Price said "some people just don't understand how hard this game is."

That's true, but he's talking about having a disagreement with Eckersley? A Hall of Fame pitcher?

As best anyone can tell, Price was upset about Eckersley's comments when Price didn't cover first base on a grounder to the right side.

Eckersley throwing in "I've done it. It happens," seems like the nicest possible critique of all-time. If Price was really mad about that to the point that the two had a confrontation, good lord.

Regardless, just ignore the media and pitch, man. This is getting ridiculous.

quote:

David needs to get up to date on who he's talking about. One of the best closers ever not named Rivera. Plus he was a pretty successful starting pitcher before that.

I think Eck has a pretty damn good idea just how hard this game is.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 9016
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/4/2017 8:33:25 PM   
Mr. Ed

Cleveland Indians manager Terry Francona will not manage in Tuesday night's game against the San Diego Padres because he is undergoing further tests at Cleveland Clinic.

Francona, 58, left a game last week after he started to feel lightheaded and his heart rate increased, the same symptoms he experienced earlier in the season.

Indians president Chris Antonetti said Francona did not experience the symptoms again, and that Tuesday's tests are being done to determine what's causing the issue.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9017
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/4/2017 8:36:34 PM   
SoMnFan

Dennis Eckersley might know MORE about how hard this game is, than anyone punky David Price will ever meet.
Hate when players don't know shit about what came before them.
The ultimate DISRESPECT.
Post #: 9018
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/4/2017 9:13:38 PM   
SoMnFan

Jeeeezus .... every team has taken its turn being hot, but the damn Astros just keep KILLIN people.
10-0 on the Braves so far
They can just flat-out embarrass you. They did it to us, and we probably shouldn't have been so devastated by it.
Post #: 9019
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/6/2017 6:45:44 AM   
Mr. Ed

I could have seen the old regime think they just traded for the catcher they used to have.

The Orioles have acquired shortstop Milton Ramos from the Mets for international signing bonus slots, reports Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com (Twitter link).

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9020
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/6/2017 9:56:44 AM   
Mr. Ed

Cowboy Joe West behind the plate for the AS Game

Angel Hernandez, who is suing MLB, works first base

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9021
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/7/2017 10:07:31 AM   
Mr. Ed

Indians manager Terry Francona has undergone a catheter ablation procedure to correct an irregular heartbeat and will not manage the American League All-Star team next week, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (all Twitter links). Cleveland bench coach Brad Mills will manage the AL All-Star team with assistance from Tampa Bay skipper Kevin Cash, Rosenthal adds. The Indians have announced, via press release, that Francona will be discharged from the hospital “within the next day or two,” adding that he’s expected to resume his managerial duties next Friday.

Francona has been away from the Indians for the past three games and, in June, twice exited games after feeling light-headed and experiencing an elevated heart rate, as MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian writes. Mills has been managing the club in Francona’s recent absence and will continue to do so until he’s able to rejoin the team.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9022
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/7/2017 2:52:48 PM   
djskillz

I LOVE David Price. One of the greatest guys you'll ever meet. And a great family. Does tremendous community work/projects. But it could be he's just not made out for the Boston market, especially as a black athlete. His college coach, the best there is, Tim Corbin, is a huge RedSox guy and Northeast guy, so I bet that effected him going there in the first place. But it maybe just wasn't the best fit for him, both on and off the field. I bet he ends up in Vandy South, with the Braves, in the next couple of years.

Mea culpa on McCutcheon, SMF. He's always been one of my faves, but I thought he was done. It seems his demise was greatly exaggerated by a few of us. He should help somebody.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 7/7/2017 2:53:59 PM >

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 9023
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/7/2017 4:33:39 PM   
Sandman

I love the "Bostonians are racists" narrative. Cracks me up.
Post #: 9024
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/7/2017 4:39:27 PM   
djskillz

I don't think just that. I think it's just not the right market for him personality-wise.

I don't know if Boston is racist or not. I go there at least 10 times a year or so for work and family. It's one of my favorite cities; and I haven't personally seen it, but I'm also not black. And there's certainly a whole lot of smoke for it throughout their history, including their recent history (see Adam Jones, Subban, etc.).

< Message edited by djskillz -- 7/7/2017 5:30:59 PM >

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 9025
Page:   <<   < prev  359 360 [361] 362 363   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  359 360 [361] 362 363   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode