Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  362 363 [364] 365 366   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/11/2017 10:40:29 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

And the Varsity squad wins!

Nice work, fellas. Good game.

shhheeeeeshh ... trying to WALK your way to a win .....
Swing the bat boys .... its an ALL STAR game. Sheeeesh.
Post #: 9076
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/11/2017 10:40:40 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Still lovin' the Royals, personally.

So you're the one...

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 9077
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/11/2017 10:41:08 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Oh

MY

Gawwwwd
Post #: 9078
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/11/2017 10:41:41 PM   
djskillz

Justin Upton really looks in great shape these days. Like he's 5 years younger. Crazy to think he's still just 29.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 9079
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/11/2017 10:41:47 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

So you're the one...

Him, Mabel, and George Brett.
Post #: 9080
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/11/2017 10:42:24 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

So you're the one...

Him, Mabel, and George Brett.

I'm not even sure George cares. He's probably too drunk to notice.

Post #: 9081
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/11/2017 10:44:00 PM   
djskillz

An oldy but a goody. One of my favorite baseball stories ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PseNrUeSmXk

Post #: 9082
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/11/2017 10:44:33 PM   
SoMnFan

I KNEW you were gonna pull that one
Post #: 9083
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/11/2017 10:45:46 PM   
djskillz

Makes me die laughing every time. The best part is the Royals walking/running away from him as he's telling it.

Post #: 9084
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 8:58:46 AM   
Mr. Ed

Let's wish a happy Disco Demolition Night 38th anniversary to Saints owner Mike Veeck.

Anniversary was apparently yesterday.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9085
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 10:07:01 AM   
djskillz

Maybe THE best baseball story there, Ed.

Post #: 9086
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 10:17:57 AM   
Sandman

quote:

An oldy but a goody. One of my favorite baseball stories ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PseNrUeSmXk

OK, That is good.
Post #: 9087
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 10:40:52 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Maybe THE best baseball story there, Ed.

White Sox officials had hoped for a crowd of 20,000, about 5,000 more than usual. Instead, at least 50,000—including tens of thousands of Dahl's adherents—packed the stadium, and thousands more continued to sneak in even after gates were closed. Many of the records were not collected by staff and were thrown like flying discs from the stands. After Dahl blew up the collected records, thousands of fans stormed the field and remained there until dispersed by riot police.

The second game was initially postponed, but was forfeited by the White Sox the next day by order of American League president Lee MacPhail. Disco Demolition Night preceded, and may have helped precipitate, the decline of disco in late 1979

Owner Bill Veeck was concerned the promotion might turn into a disaster and checked himself out of the hospital, where he had been undergoing tests.[21] The elder Veeck's fears were substantiated when he saw the people walking towards the ballpark that afternoon; many carried signs that described disco in profane terms.[6][17]

The doubleheader sold out, leaving at least 20,000 people outside the ballpark.[17] Some were not content to remain there, leaping turnstiles, climbing fences, and entering through open windows.[22] The attendance was officially reported as 47,795.[23] Bill Veeck estimated that there were anywhere from 50,000 to 55,000 in the park—easily the largest crowd of his second stint as White Sox owner.[24] The Chicago Police Department closed off-ramps from the Dan Ryan Expressway near the stadium.[6] Attendees were supposed to deposit their records into a large box, some 4 by 6 by 5 feet (1.2 by 1.8 by 1.5 m) tall; once the box was overflowing, many people brought their discs to their seats.[25]

The first game was to begin at 6 pm CDT, with the second game to follow.[26] Lorelei, a model who did public appearances for WLUP and who was very popular in Chicago that summer for her sexually provocative poses in the station's advertisements, threw out the first pitch.[27][28] As the first game began, Mike Veeck got word that thousands of people were trying to get into the park without tickets. He sent his security personnel to the stadium gates to keep the would-be gate crashers at bay. This left the field unattended, and fans began throwing the uncollected disco LPs and singles from the stands. Tigers designated hitter Rusty Staub remembered that the records would slice through the air, and land sticking out of the ground. He urged teammates to wear batting helmets when playing their positions, "It wasn't just one, it was many. Oh, God almighty, I've never seen anything so dangerous in my life."[29] Attendees also threw firecrackers, empty liquor bottles, and lighters onto the field. The game was stopped several times because of the rain of foreign objects.[17]

Dozens of hand-painted banners with such slogans as "Disco sucks" were hung from the ballpark's seating decks.[27] White Sox broadcaster Harry Caray could see groups of people, who were clearly music rather than baseball fans, wandering through the stadium. Others sat intently in their seats, awaiting the explosion.[30] Mike Veeck later remembered an odor of marijuana in the grandstand and said of the attendees, "This is the Woodstock they never had."[21] The miasma permeated the press box, which both Caray and his broadcast partner, Jimmy Piersall, commented on over the air.[25] The crowds outside the stadium threw records as well, or gathered them together and burned them in bonfires.[29] Detroit won the first game, 4–1.[6]

The first game ended at 8:16 pm; at 8:40 Dahl, dressed in army fatigues and a helmet,[27] emerged onto the playing surface together with Meier and Lorelei. They proceeded to center field where the vinyl-filled box awaited, though they first did a lap of the field in a Jeep, showered (according to Dahl, lovingly) by his troops with firecrackers and beer. The large box containing the collected records had been rigged with explosives. Dahl and Meier warmed up the crowd, leading attendees in a chant of "disco sucks". Lorelei recalled that the view from center field was surreal. On the mound, White Sox pitcher Ken Kravec, scheduled to start the second game, began to warm up. Other White Sox, in the dugout and wearing batting helmets, looked out upon the scene. Fans who felt events were getting out of control and who wished to leave the ballpark had difficulty doing so; in an effort to deny the intruders entry, security had padlocked all but one gate.[6][22]

Dahl told the crowd,

This is now officially the world's largest anti-disco rally! Now listen—we took all the disco records you brought tonight, we got 'em in a giant box, and we're gonna blow 'em up reeeeeeal goooood.[25]

Dahl set off the explosives, destroying the records and tearing a large hole in the outfield grass.[30] With most of the security personnel still watching the gates per Mike Veeck's orders, there was almost no one guarding the playing surface.[23] Soon, the first of what would be thousands of attendees rushed onto the field, causing Kravec to flee the mound and join his teammates in a barricaded clubhouse. Between 5,000 and 7,000 people are estimated to have taken the field. Some climbed the foul poles, others set records on fire, or ripped up the grass. The batting cage was destroyed; the bases were pulled up and stolen. Among those taking the field was 21-year-old aspiring actor Michael Clarke Duncan; during the melee, Duncan slid into third base, had a silver belt buckle stolen,[31] and went home with a bat from the dugout.[32] As Bill Veeck stood with a microphone near where home plate had been, begging people to return to the stands, a bonfire raged in center field.[6][18][22][33]

Years later, Lorelei remembered that she had been waving to the crowd when she was grabbed by two of the bodyguards who had accompanied the Jeep and placed her back in the vehicle. The party was unable to return to home plate because of the rowdy fans, so the Jeep was driven out of the stadium and through the surrounding streets, to the delight of the many Cohos outside the stadium who recognized the occupants. They were driven to the front of the stadium, ushered back inside, and taken up to the press room where they had spent most of the first game.[28]

Caray unsuccessfully attempted to restore order by the public address system. The scoreboard, flashing "PLEASE RETURN TO YOUR SEATS", was ignored as was the playing of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game". Some of the attendees were dancing in circles around the burning vinyl shards.[25] Dahl offered his help to get the rowdy fans to leave, but it was declined.[34]

At 9:08 pm,[16] Chicago police in full riot gear arrived to the applause of the baseball fans remaining in the stands. Those on the field hastily dispersed upon seeing the police. Thirty-nine people were arrested for disorderly conduct; estimates of injuries to those at the event range from none to over thirty.[22] Bill Veeck wanted the teams to play the second game once order was restored. However, the field was so badly torn up that umpiring crew chief Dave Phillips felt that it was still not playable even after White Sox groundskeepers spent an hour clearing away debris. Tigers manager Sparky Anderson refused to allow his players to take the field in any event due to safety concerns. Phillips called American League president Lee MacPhail, who postponed the second game to Sunday after hearing a report on conditions. Anderson, however, demanded that the game be forfeited to the Tigers. He argued that under baseball's rules, a game can only be postponed due to an act of God, and that, as the home team, the White Sox were responsible for field conditions. The next day, MacPhail forfeited the second game to the Tigers 9–0.[2] In a ruling that largely upheld Anderson's arguments, MacPhail stated that the White Sox had failed to provide acceptable playing conditions.

The day after the event, Dahl began his regular morning broadcast by reading the indignant headlines in the local papers. He mocked the coverage, "I think for the most part everything was wonderful. Some maniac Cohos got wild, went down on the field. Which you shouldn't have done. Bad little Cohos." Tigers manager Anderson stated of the events, "Beer and baseball go together, they have for years. But I think those kids were doing things other than beer."[6] Columnist David Israel of the Chicago Tribune commented on July 12 that he was not surprised by what had occurred, "It would have happened any place 50,000 teenagers got together on a sultry summer night with beer and reefer." White Sox pitcher Rich Wortham, a Texan, suggested, "This wouldn't have happened if they had country and western night."

Looking back............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1CP1751wJA

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9088
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 10:57:47 AM   
MDK

One of the worst periods in Music History......Disco. Love the idea the White Sox had. Too bad it got out of control. Should have been an annual event.

And for Rich Wortham, we are definitely due for a hate modern country and western night.

Cause as Waylon put it in one of his great songs, "But I don't think Hank done 'em this way, no
I don't think Hank done 'em this way,"

Matt, feel free to counter.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 9089
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 11:01:32 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

One of the worst periods in Music History......Disco. Love the idea the White Sox had. Too bad it got out of control. Should have been an annual event.

And for Rich Wortham, we are definitely due for a hate modern country and western night.

Cause as Waylon put it in one of his great songs, "But I don't think Hank done 'em this way, no

Was more Country/Western. Urban Cowboy hadn't happened yet.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9090
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 11:02:09 AM   
Mr. Ed

And John Travolta was at the center of both of those crazes.

Scary

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9091
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 11:09:06 AM   
MDK

Music was in limbo from 1976 to 1979. Groups like Dire Straits, The Police, U2 and Talking Heads hadn't really become well known until the early 80's. Great groups from the 60's had lost much of the desire to continue much beyond the early 70's.

Music with Disco and Urban Cowboy reinvented the rate that record of American Bandstand.......I give it a 7, it has a good beat and easy to dance to.

Never mind that the lyrics were nonsensical.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 9092
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 11:51:33 AM   
djskillz

I freaking hate the White Sox. They fleece another team with a mediocre talent in Quintana. I think he's "solid", but the Cubs gave up way too much IMO.

Post #: 9093
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 11:52:46 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

No, I'm with ya.

One of my personal favorite songs on the subject is by Waylon's son, Shooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjwqgghyW-Y

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9094
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 12:24:30 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

I freaking hate the White Sox. They fleece another team with a mediocre talent in Quintana. I think he's "solid", but the Cubs gave up way too much IMO.

If it's the Cubs getting fleeced, I'm ok with that.

Will love it when they don't make the playoffs.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9095
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 2:38:31 PM   
djskillz

Sure, but I still hate no team, not even the Cubs, as much as the Flags.

They're going to be really good in a couple years. Tons of high-end young talent for a bunch of "eh" guys to me, other than Sale. And I bet they'll still get something for guys like Abreu too.

Post #: 9096
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 2:42:42 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Sure, but I still hate no team, not even the Cubs, as much as the Flags.

They're going to be really good in a couple years. Tons of high-end young talent for a bunch of "eh" guys to me, other than Sale. And I bet they'll still get something for guys like Abreu too.

So I'm confused. Sounds like you LIKE the White Sox, not hate them. I kinda like them too so don't be ashamed.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9097
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 2:52:48 PM   
djskillz

No. I hate that they are making good moves and now have 10x the talent their minor league system has had for the last 10-20 years. Uggh.

When Hawk Harrelson dies, I will piss on his grave.

Post #: 9098
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 3:29:36 PM   
twinsfan

This is like when you hated the Red Sox but eventually liked them out of respect. It's gonna happen again.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9099
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/13/2017 6:47:53 PM   
djskillz

quote:

This is like when you hated the Red Sox but eventually liked them out of respect. It's gonna happen again.

NEVER.

I am likely seeing your Royales next Thurs, Cedar Rapids Fri. Twins Sat if anyone's at the game.

Post #: 9100
Page:   <<   < prev  362 363 [364] 365 366   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  362 363 [364] 365 366   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode