Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  364 365 [366] 367 368   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 9:14:18 AM   
SoMnFan

Buster Olney
ESPN Senior Writer

Justin Verlander has been mentioned in trade talks, and it’s possible that market moons and stars will align and the future Hall of Famer switches teams. But any Verlander deal would be incredibly complicated for the Tigers to pull off in the short time frame that remains before the July 31 trade deadline, because of his salary, his stature within Detroit history and his ability to veto any proposed deal.

But there are players whose trades are considered imminent by baseball officials. Here are the top players who will be dealt over the next 14 days.

Sonny Gray, Oakland Athletics

Now that Jose Quintana has been swapped to the Chicago Cubs, Oakland's right-hander is the best available starter -- a pitcher with experience, a history of success and years of control. The perception of other teams is that Oakland is intent on moving Gray while he is healthy and throwing well. Gray has a 1.33 ERA in his past four starts. Teams that could be involved in the bidding: Milwaukee Brewers, Cubs, Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, Houston Astros and New York Yankees.

J.D. Martinez, Detroit Tigers

The position-player market is saturated, generally, and in the hours leading up to the trade deadline, some general managers expect a purge of salary. But Martinez has more value than others, because he is a strong middle-of-the-order hitter who is having a good year, batting over .300 with power. "You’d have to live with his defense to take him on," said one evaluator, "but his offense more than offsets that." And this will interest a lot of teams: Martinez has destroyed left-handed pitchers, carrying a .500 average with damage into Sunday’s game -- 18 hits in 36 at-bats, including four doubles, one triple, six homers, six walks and six strikeouts. He would present an incredible weapon for the Los Angeles Dodgers, whose struggles against lefties last year are well-documented. Other teams that are possible: Cubs, St. Louis Cardinals, Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies.

Justin Wilson, Detroit Tigers

The left-hander isn’t a classic left-hander, in that he doesn’t dominate left-handed hitters with a great breaking ball. But he is outstanding against right-handed hitters, and he can serve in multiple roles. His value is so high right now that officials think Detroit will capitalize on his standing in the market and move him. Just about every contender could use him in one form or another.

Pat Neshek, Philadelphia Phillies

A lot of relievers will move between now and the waiver trade deadline on Aug. 31, but the All-Star is expected to be among the first right-handers. The 36-year-old has allowed just five runs in 36⅓ innings, and he has been equally effective against left-handers and right-handers.

Yonder Alonso, Oakland Athletics

He has had record power numbers this year. He made the All-Star team. And the Athletics have been pushing him in the market for weeks with the apparent intention of moving him before he reaches free agency in the fall. There are not a lot of teams looking for first basemen/designated hitter types, but the Yankees have a hole, if the price is right.
Post #: 9126
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 9:43:51 AM   
Mr. Ed

And the Twins will get

ZERO

of these guys.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9127
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 9:46:26 AM   
MDK

Earlier reports had the Twins interested in Quintana and Sonny Gray. Now no word of the Twins interest in anyone.

Would not be surprised to see the Twins move Santana. Yeah, I know we are still close and in the race. But we still need pitching and more pitching.

I absolutely love how Pat Neshek gets arm trouble and then reinvents himself, essentially on his own, and becomes an all star reliever.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 9128
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 9:55:37 AM   
SoMnFan

Tire <<<<< kickkickkick
Tire <<<<< kickkickkick
Post #: 9129
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 11:01:10 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

And the Twins will get

ZERO

of these guys.

I don't want us buying. I don't want us, at this juncture, trading away potential future assets for a rental.

I want them building this thing to be successful for the next 10 years...not the next 10 months.

This year has been nice that we are winning. but when we play the truly good teams we are tending to get smoked. Our bullpen is lights out one night and flood lights on for the next three. Our hitting is inconsistent. The winning is nice. but this team is not yet built for or ready for a deep playoff run yet. If trades are to be made...it should be to add more young talent for long term control. Not short term rentals.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 9130
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 11:19:06 AM   
Mr. Ed

Are there that many "great" assets in the system where the Twins can't make a deal?

Nothing is a given. After 2 years ago, it was expected the Twins would be better. And 2016's disaster showed up.

Now they're in the hunt. And they shouldn't make a deal?

Wait til next year.

And the year after.

And the year after.

Example

Many here were upset(me included) when they dealt for Jepsen and gave up the Taiwan pitcher, Chih-Wei Hu

Guess what...MN still has gotten the better of that deal.

Why?

Hu is back in the minors, now pitching relief, at AAA. Not even a starter any more.

So it was bullpen for bullpen, and w/o Jepsen 2015's run would not have happened.

It's frustrating to see a team that could use some help and get into the playoffs...and it's been what, 7-8 YEARS....and not do anything but sign fodder that is bad, and
HOPE that Colon can help you.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9131
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 11:22:15 AM   
SoMnFan

Thanks Ed
Saved some typing

You're still in it, and it's middle of July? DO something.

You can sit around and wait ... until you die.
Post #: 9132
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 11:25:48 AM   
SoMnFan

There is buzz around teams that MAKE the playoffs
There is a buzz around playoff teams that make good players want to play for said team

The buzz around perennial losers is simply .... flies around a corpse.
Post #: 9133
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 11:35:50 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Thanks Ed
Saved some typing

You're still in it, and it's middle of July? DO something.

You can sit around and wait ... until you die.

sadly the Twins did something.

They dug up Colon's corpse to see if it can still pitch.

Wheee!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9134
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 11:46:04 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Are there that many "great" assets in the system where the Twins can't make a deal?

Nothing is a given. After 2 years ago, it was expected the Twins would be better. And 2016's disaster showed up.

Wait til next year.

And the year after.

And the year after.

Example

Many here were upset(me included) when they dealt for Jepsen and gave up the Taiwan pitcher, Chih-Wei Hu

Why?

Hu is back in the minors, now pitching relief, at AAA. Not even a starter any more.

So it was bullpen for bullpen, and w/o Jepsen 2015's run would not have happened.

It's frustrating to see a team that could use some help and get into the playoffs...and it's been what, 7-8 YEARS....and not do anything but sign fodder that is bad, and

This team is winning with smoke and mirrors. When we play the real playoff teams we get smoked. There is no point in trading away a Gonsalves for example for somebody that wont be a Twin next year, just so we can make some run that has no hope of getting past the Yankees, Red Sox, or Astros at this point. Even if we do add we are not ready for a deep playoff run so do trade away what little we have in the system to try to make an unrealistic run this year.

The very fact that we are winning and some young guys like Berrios and Mejia are part of that give hope that the future is not as dim as you are making it out to be. This run gives hope that as these guys mature and they have some success winning that they will continue to take the next step.

Don't trade our potential future for some short term rental. That will leave us in a worse place and set us back in the years to come.

I wouldn't be surprised to see someone offer us a lot for Santana in the next couple weeks. and Falvey and Levine would be fools to not strongly consider it.

I am being realistic here. Not cynical. This team is not ready for a playoff run no matter what they do. To many inconsistencies. You have to blind not to see there is no chance this team makes a run this year. Not even a Dumb and Dumber chance.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 9135
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 11:52:43 AM   
Mr. Ed

I guess the same should have been said about the 87 Twins.

Should not have gone for it. Should not have made it out of the first round. Had no chance against the mighty Tigers.

Not saying the same would happen with this bunch. Not at all.

If you don't try. You don't have a shot of even getting there.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9136
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 11:53:12 AM   
SoMnFan

BINGOOOOOOOOOO
Post #: 9137
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 11:54:45 AM   
Mr. Ed

With Buxton out

How would that have looked with McCutcheon out there? Better than Rosario, I'd bet.

Now we pine for Granite and his youthful .077 out there. Ugh.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9138
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 11:57:24 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Wait til next year.

And the year after.

And the year after.

Example

Why?

This team is winning with smoke and mirrors. When we play the real playoff teams we get smoked. There is no point in trading away a Gonsalves for example for somebody that wont be a Twin next year, just so we can make some run that has no hope of getting past the Yankees, Red Sox, or Astros at this point. Even if we do add we are not ready for a deep playoff run so do trade away what little we have in the system to try to make an unrealistic run this year.

The very fact that we are winning and some young guys like Berrios and Mejia are part of that give hope that the future is not as dim as you are making it out to be. This run gives hope that as these guys mature and they have some success winning that they will continue to take the next step.

Don't trade our potential future for some short term rental. That will leave us in a worse place and set us back in the years to come.

I wouldn't be surprised to see someone offer us a lot for Santana in the next couple weeks. and Falvey and Levine would be fools to not strongly consider it.

I am being realistic here. Not cynical. This team is not ready for a playoff run no matter what they do. To many inconsistencies. You have to blind not to see there is no chance this team makes a run this year. Not even a Dumb and Dumber chance.

I think I'm with you, Trekkie.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9139
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 11:57:48 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Should not have gone for it. Should not have made it out of the first round. Had no chance against the mighty Tigers.

This is not 87. There was a core of good players, a couple of studs at the top of the rotation in Viola and Blyleven who could carry a team in a playoff series that didn't include a wild card game and divisional round. Plus a closer and a could good set up guys. They added...Don Baylor. I don't remember who else they added. And the Tigers needed a herculean effort from Trade guy Doyle Alexander that year (do you know who they gave up for Doyle? a certain HALL OF FAMER for a rental) and the Tigers didn't make it to the World Series again until a couple years ago.

You go for it when you are close. That Twins team had to get to the playoffs, win one series to get to the World Series, This is an entirely different animal.

Post #: 9140
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 11:58:29 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

This is not 87. There was a core of good players, a couple of studs at the top of the rotation in Viola and Blyleven who could carry a team in a playoff series that didn't include a wild card game and divisional round. Plus a closer and a could good set up guys. They added...Don Baylor. I don't remember who else they added. And the Tigers needed a herculean effort from Trade guy Doyle Alexander that year (do you know who they gave up for Doyle? a certain HALL OF FAMER for a rental) and the Tigers didn't make it to the World Series again until a couple years ago.

You go for it when you are close. That Twins team had to get to the playoffs, win one series to get to the World Series, This is an entirely different animal.

All true enough.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9141
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 12:04:39 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

Steve Carlton
Dan Schatzeder

both were added as well.

They tried. Some success.

What did they give up? Little or nothing.

Doyle Alexander pitched 2 more years in Detroit. That made him a 2 1/2 year rental.

The 87 Twins won the division with 85 wins.

This year's division could wind up the same way. Or a wild card spot.

I like Gonsalves. There is no guarantee he or anyone close to his "rating" in the system, will be any good. None.

Deals could be made where they get help in the long term.

Quintana fans 12 with no walks moving over to the NL.

Someone over there will get Sonny Gray.

And we'll just have to be happy to have contended for over half the year.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9142
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 12:06:28 PM   
Sandman

We are not in a position to be trading away prospects. That would be insanity.
Post #: 9143
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 12:08:54 PM   
Sandman

quote:

quote:

Post rating 10/10 stars.
Post #: 9144
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 12:11:41 PM   
Mr. Ed

Twins need pitching

Who's going to provide it?

How are they going to get better pitching?

Romero already is being backed down because he's nearing career innings. Gonsalves?

Oh joy, we're going to rely on what we have the rest of the way.

Yay, I'm so excited for 2018

You're basically telling the guys there, it's not important enough to get them help this year.

And if you trade Erv or anyone else, while in the hunt, you're doing just what they did when they dealt the 2nd baseman away that one year. You're giving up

so why should they care?

All that did was set them back. Hunter and Johan were put off by that crap, no wonder they wanted out.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9145
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 12:12:28 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sandman

quote:

quote:

Post rating 10/10 stars.

10 stars for incorrect data. Almost like fake news.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9146
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 12:13:06 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Twins need pitching

Romero already is being backed down because he's nearing career innings. Gonsalves?

You're basically telling the guys there, it's not important enough to get them help this year.

And if you trade Erv or anyone else, while in the hunt, you're doing just what they did when they dealt the 2nd baseman away that one year. You're giving up

so why should they care?

All that did was set them back. Hunter and Johan were put off by that crap, no wonder they wanted out.

I think I'm with you, Ed.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9147
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 12:13:53 PM   
Mr. Ed

30 year celebration of a world series title this year.

the other, 26 years ago.

Glad some are content with that. Content to let another year go by without being in the playoffs.

Next year we'll be better.

Or the year after that

or the year after that.

Enjoy.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9148
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 12:16:12 PM   
Mr. Ed

Milwaukee is over-achieving, leading the division. Any bets they'll just go with what they have?

I bet they'll try to get more pitching, whether it's successful or not.

These opportunities don't come around for some teams nearly often enough.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9149
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/17/2017 12:24:18 PM   
sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Twins need pitching

so why should they care?

I think I'm with you, Ed.

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 9150
Page:   <<   < prev  364 365 [366] 367 368   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  364 365 [366] 367 368   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode