Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  367 368 [369] 370 371   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/18/2017 11:01:50 AM   
Trekgeekscott

I am going to make a prediction.

Gray is not going to be a Twin in 2017.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 9201
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/18/2017 11:16:09 AM   
sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 9202
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/18/2017 11:16:35 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

This bodes very well for our Twins!!!!!!!

More TGS OUTLOOKS , From this years prediction thread.

70 Wins
Buxton will break out
ByungHo will show why we got him the first place
Mauer will miss 60+ games with mysterious ailments
Dozier will be traded in early June
Molitor will be fired and before he can pack up all his shit and get out the door, Dougie Mientkeiwicz will be named the new manager.
Post #: 9203
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/18/2017 11:18:55 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

This bodes very well for our Twins!!!!!!!

More TGS OUTLOOKS , From this years prediction thread.

70 Wins
Buxton will break out
ByungHo will show why we got him the first place
Mauer will miss 60+ games with mysterious ailments
Dozier will be traded in early June
Molitor will be fired and before he can pack up all his shit and get out the door, Dougie Mientkeiwicz will be named the new manager.

I, unlike some on these boards, never claimed to be Nostradumbass.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 9204
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/18/2017 11:28:36 AM   
twinsfan

All good things must come to an end. That's no different for nine-time All-Star Carlos Beltran's glove.

You see, Beltran hasn't played the outfield since May, and it would be a difficult task to locate a photo of him playing the outfield in an Astros uniform this year. So his teammates decided to hold a funeral for his glove since Beltran has been spending time at the designated hitter position.

According to MLB.com's Brian McTaggart, the ceremony took place in center field with some special assistance from George Springer and Brian McCann.

"Springer took three foam headstones to center field before batting practice," said McTaggart. "The team later crowded around and McCann walked from the warning track wearing some sort of robe."

McTaggart spoke to Beltran following the ceremony, and for him, it was all about having fun.
"They're just having fun with it," said Beltran. "I don't know if [his glove] is retired or not. I bring my glove every day to practice."

What exactly did McCann say during the ceremony? Well, Beltran got it all on video, but McCann said a few words he "cannot put in the media." Still, the overall experience made him laugh.

"I love it," said Beltran. "I have fun with them, they have fun with me. That's what a team should be. They made me laugh. That's huge."
Manager A.J. Hinch was asked why Beltran hasn't been playing the outfield lately and he explained the current outfielders have been playing well and it is not a reflection on Beltran's abilities.

"I've not quite given up on the glove," Hinch said, "even though they're going to bury it in the outfield today."

But while Beltran's glove may have been buried, his bat was still very much alive during Monday's 9-7 loss against the Mariners. With a runner on in the sixth, the DH tied things up at five apiece with a two-run home run down the left-field line:

If this is it for the glove, then it's nice to know the three-time Gold Glove Award winner's mitt spent its last days surrounded by loved ones.

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/07/17/242669496/carlos-beltrans-teammates-held-a-funeral-for-his-glove

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9205
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/18/2017 11:30:24 AM   
SoMnFan

Maybe we hold a similar ceremony for Grossman.
Preemptively
Post #: 9206
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/18/2017 11:32:08 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Maybe we hold a similar ceremony for Grossman.
Preemptively

His glove, more like a dying horse...should be taken out to a pasture and shot.

Post #: 9207
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/18/2017 11:36:47 AM   
twinsfan

I don't think Grossman would take it as well as Beltran did.

I've heard Grossman interviewed a few times, and he thinks he's a good defensive player, with decent range, good hands and a strong arm.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9208
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/18/2017 11:42:26 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I've heard Grossman interviewed a few times, and he thinks he's a good defensive player, with decent range, good hands and a strong arm.

I'm strong, handsome, and extremely rich.
Post #: 9209
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/18/2017 11:44:51 AM   
MDK

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I'm strong, handsome, and extremely rich.

"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 9210
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/19/2017 7:20:46 AM   
Mr. Ed

As Lyle mentioned

The White Sox and Yankees have agreed to a blockbuster deal that will send Todd Frazier, David Robertson and Tommy Kahnle to New York
in exchange for outfield prospect Blake Rutherford, left-handed pitching prospect Ian Clarkin, outfield prospect Tito Polo and veteran right-hander Tyler Clippard.

Frazier is done,but I'd guess NYY had to take him if they wanted Robertson.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9211
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/19/2017 8:10:03 AM   
Mr. Ed

White Sox win. Have the most shiny coins.

With the addition of Rutherford, the #WhiteSox now possess 10 of the Top 100 prospects, the most in @MLB.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9212
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/19/2017 8:41:20 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

With the addition of Rutherford, the #WhiteSox now possess 10 of the Top 100 prospects, the most in @MLB.

They will, as they have for the past decade, fail to develope enough of them and will trade any that do develope for more prospects. They've been doing this for years. They will suck for a long time the way they run things They will have lots of talent and still suck.

Post #: 9213
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/19/2017 1:46:31 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

They will, as they have for the past decade, fail to develope enough of them and will trade any that do develope for more prospects. They've been doing this for years. They will suck for a long time the way they run things They will have lots of talent and still suck.

I thought that's what you wanted?
Patient org building
How's that workin?
Post #: 9214
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/19/2017 3:00:03 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought that's what you wanted?
Patient org building
How's that workin?

No,

What I want is to not make a crazy jump into the trade market for a rental this year. This year we are not truly contenders. Only through the grace of being in a sucky division are we truly in the hunt. Cleveland could get hot at any time and maintain it if their pitcher were to come around.

The White Sox are in perpetual rebuild. We are in short term rebuild, but we just started last fall. Even the six runs scored in the second is an indicator of our inconsistencies. Last night we couldn't string three hits together. Today we get something like five consecutive two out hits...

There is no trade we could make right now that will make us world title contenders. Put us in the playoffs maybe, but not where would be anything more than first round fodder.

The AL representative is highly unlikely to come out of the AL Central this year.

Post #: 9215
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/19/2017 10:15:21 PM   
djskillz

I don't think the White Sox problems have been development. They've been scouting/drafting. They've drafted extremely poorly for a long time, mostly under Williams. And their minor league system has mostly been barren/one of the worst in baseball for a LONG time. They have dominated many of these trades on paper, and have suddenly gotten very loaded in young talent. For (mostly) IMO "eh" major league talent.

I'm worried as hell they're going to be very, very good in a couple of years. Seems like a gap is about to open soon with MN/CLE/CWS and DET/KC lagging behind. Depending on what happens with ownership in Detroit and their deals this year and next of their old talent.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 9216
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/20/2017 11:22:07 AM   
Mr. Ed

RH set up man David Phelps to Seattle for

FOUR prospects.

Brayan Hernandez their #6 prospect, and 3 pitchers.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9217
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/20/2017 11:23:02 AM   
Mr. Ed

And the Astros are among the front runners after

Sonny Gray

Justin Verlander

Justin wilson

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9218
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/20/2017 11:45:42 AM   
MDK

quote:

And the Astros are among the front runners after

Sonny Gray

Justin Verlander

Justin wilson

This makes a lot of sense for this team to go after starting pitching. The Astros have a smart front office.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 9219
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/20/2017 1:09:33 PM   
Sandman

quote:

RH set up man David Phelps to Seattle for

FOUR prospects.

Brayan Hernandez their #6 prospect, and 3 pitchers.

Further proof this is NOT the year for the Twins to be buyers. Next year, yes. This year, no way.
Post #: 9220
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/20/2017 1:12:16 PM   
Sandman

They should take offers for Santana. Need more talent in the system.
Post #: 9221
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/20/2017 2:40:41 PM   
sixthwi

Brewers in a free fall. 5 1/2 game lead five days ago, down to 1 game now.

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 9222
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/20/2017 3:07:21 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

Brewers in a free fall. 5 1/2 game lead five days ago, down to 1 game now.

Cubs are coming alive.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 9223
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/20/2017 5:18:10 PM   
SoMnFan

Buster Olney
ESPN Senior Writer

A generation of Kansas City Royals players is nearing the end of its time together. Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas, Lorenzo Cain and others instrumental to the 2015 championship will head into free agency this fall, and no one can say for sure when the small-market Royals will hold a victory parade again. So while Kansas City hasn’t played well over the past 10 days and sits three games out of first place in the AL Central, the Royals' front office continues to send signals into the market that it is trying to win with this group one last time. Sources say the Royals have been talking about adding a couple of cost-efficient starting pitchers and a reliever to prop up the efforts to win now. Barring a total collapse, the Royals will probably ride out this effort.

With other teams, there is less certainty.

Only 11 days remain before the trade deadline, and some teams are still on the fence about whether to buy or sell.

Pittsburgh Pirates

According to Fangraphs, Pittsburgh’s chances of making the postseason stand at 12.5 percent -- a long shot of long shots. If the Pirates decide to sell, they have pieces that would certainly attract other teams, such as left-handed reliever Tony Watson (one run allowed in his past 15 appearances), ace Gerrit Cole, center fielder Andrew McCutchen and third baseman David Freese.

But the Pirates are four games out of first place, and they seem to be putting a nice run together with the return of outfielder Starling Marte, the improvement of right fielder Gregory Polanco and the maturation of their starting pitchers. And the context is encouraging: The NL Central seems wide-open, with the Pirates, Cubs and Cardinals gaining ground on the Brewers in recent days.

It may be that Pittsburgh's front office tries to thread the needle again and considers trading Watson, while keeping the rest of the group together. General manager Neal Huntington said recently that the current homestand is crucial for the Pirates.

Los Angeles Angels

The Angels came out of the All-Star break bearing some hope because of the return of Mike Trout. But the best the Angels can reasonably hope for is a wild-card spot, and they lost two of three in a series to Tampa Bay over the weekend before falling to the Nationals on Tuesday. And they also lost Cameron Maybin to a knee injury. The Angels have lost 10 of their past 15 games, and with so many potential free agents, the team will probably execute a sell-off of cheap, experienced bullpen pieces, such as David Hernandez and Bud Norris, as well as third baseman Yunel Escobar (who would seem on paper to be a fit for Boston).

Seattle Mariners

The Mariners are hanging on the edges of the wild-card race, and with the core of their team comprised of older players -- Felix Hernandez, Nelson Cruz, Robinson Cano -- Seattle wants to make a last push this season. So the Mariners have been calling around asking about starting pitchers and relievers.

St. Louis Cardinals

Other teams say the Cardinals don’t seem that interested in rental-type players -- like J.D. Martinez, a free agent-to-be who they essentially passed on. Rather, any deal the Cardinals make will probably be to acquire players who can help both this year and the next. St. Louis is 4½ games behind the Milwaukee Brewers in the NL Central.

Texas Rangers

The Rangers are considered a major wild card by other teams because of the interesting pieces they could dangle if they decide to sell -- Yu Darvish, an All-Star who will be eligible for free agency at year’s end, and Cole Hamels, who is under contract in 2018 for $23 million.
Post #: 9224
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/21/2017 2:46:27 PM   
Mr. Ed

Hicks apparently about ready to come off the DL

Frazier expected to be sent back down.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9225
Page:   <<   < prev  367 368 [369] 370 371   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  367 368 [369] 370 371   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode