Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  436 437 [438] 439 440   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2018 12:30:10 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Joe West's umping numbers are impressive, considering he didn't ump any mlb games in 2000 or 2001

Was in Houston to see Saturday's game against the Mariners. West was behind the plate.

The guy has trouble walking. No way could he ump 1st or 3rd and run down the line to confirm a catch/trap.

I was very surprised how poor his condition was physically.

Exactly. Joe doesn't hit game winning sac flies.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10926
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2018 1:37:10 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Joe West's umping numbers are impressive, considering he didn't ump any mlb games in 2000 or 2001

Was in Houston to see Saturday's game against the Mariners. West was behind the plate.

The guy has trouble walking. No way could he ump 1st or 3rd and run down the line to confirm a catch/trap.

How was the experience overall??

Never DREAMED the Stros would drop that many at home.
Post #: 10927
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2018 3:31:30 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

How was the experience overall??

It was 'ok'. Everybody likes a winner so they had a good crowd. It was Carlos Beltran bobblehead night, the relatives we were staying with wanted BobbleHeads so we went early. World Series trophy is on display behind glass so you could take your picture with it (I assume it was the real trophy).

They have 'cheerleaders' that being 6 to 8 total bombshells of babes wearing next to nothing. Son got a picture with two of them with his arms wrapped around them. They walk around stadium spreading "happiness".

Roof is always closed unless it is unseasonably cool outside. Upper deck is hot because the building is not totally sealed, area in left field where train rolls has gaps to the outside so hot humid air rolls in, I assume AC only runs during games. Building always seems dark to me, I think they could use more lighting. The grass is real so they likely open the rood during the day to keep it alive.

The outfield has several bars, standing room areas that were packed. I have a feeling we will starting seeing some stadiums tear out prime seats and just make them standing bars. Lots of people just like the atmosphere, they have no real interest in the game.

Top two decks share a concourse that has zero visibility of the field. You walk down a hallway and enter playing area and take stairs up or down depending on your deck. Lower level has open concourse but I wouldn't say it is as open as Target Field.

Parking is limited but we were there so early we parked 3 blocks away for free. It said metered parking but when your brother-in-law is a Houston Cop he can tell you what you can get away with.

Houston can't hit but my god to they have pitchers, three starters with ERA under 3 and the other two under 4. Ridiculous.

Left field has so many corners and the wall in one section (bullpen area and around it) is not flush, could get some outrageous bounces. Hate to lose an important game because of some stupid pinball bounce.

Target field is much better and IMO it isn't even close.

Their last home win was July 14th before they beat Colorado yesterday or the day before. That is stinky.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 8/16/2018 3:33:50 PM >
Post #: 10928
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2018 3:49:35 PM   
Mr. Ed

Thanks for that report ron. Love the details.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10929
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2018 8:36:28 AM   
Mr. Ed

TX recorded a triple play w/o retiring the batter

Bases loaded, grounder to 3rd. Tag the bag, the base runner tried getting back, tagged out.
3rd based threw to 2nd and the base runner was not yet to the bag and was tagged out
5-4 triple play.

According to STATS, the Brooklyn Dodgers were the last team to pull off a triple play without retiring a batter, when they did it against the Reds on June 3, 1912.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10930
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2018 8:43:48 AM   
twinsfan

I didn't mind Houston. But I'd definitely give it a lower-half ranking of the 20 or so current MLB parks I've been to. There were literally about 500 people in the stadium for one of the games I went to, and maybe 3,000 at the other. It gave us a good chance to walk around easily and check everything out. The best description I can come up with, and I kind of got this description from Dustin too, is that it's like an airplane hangar. I think it would have been more fun if the roof was open. But like ronhextall says, they hardly ever open it. I think the players prefer the roof closed all the time, so even if it's nice and "cool" out (haha), you will often see the roof closed. When I was there they still had the hill in CF, which I thought was a pretty neat tribute to the old park in Cincinnati. My favorite memory from Houston was sitting in the RCF stands and getting a good view of the Maestro making some pretty sweet plays in the outfield.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10931
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2018 8:44:10 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

TX recorded a triple play w/o retiring the batter

Bases loaded, grounder to 3rd. Tag the bag, the base runner tried getting back, tagged out.
3rd based threw to 2nd and the base runner was not yet to the bag and was tagged out
5-4 triple play.

According to STATS, the Brooklyn Dodgers were the last team to pull off a triple play without retiring a batter, when they did it against the Reds on June 3, 1912.

That's an awesome factoid.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10932
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2018 12:21:13 PM  1 votes
SoMnFan

They have 'cheerleaders' that being 6 to 8 total bombshells of babes wearing next to nothing. Son got a picture with two of them with his arms wrapped around them. They walk around stadium spreading "happiness".

Stuff the "suggestion box" at your next game, people ....

I'll trade you all your stoopid walleye on a stick ideas ..... for one gal spreading happiness.
Post #: 10933
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2018 12:22:51 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I didn't mind Houston. But I'd definitely give it a lower-half ranking of the 20 or so current MLB parks I've been to. There were literally about 500 people in the stadium for one of the games I went to, and maybe 3,000 at the other. It gave us a good chance to walk around easily and check everything out. The best description I can come up with, and I kind of got this description from Dustin too, is that it's like an airplane hangar. I think it would have been more fun if the roof was open. But like ronhextall says, they hardly ever open it. I think the players prefer the roof closed all the time, so even if it's nice and "cool" out (haha), you will often see the roof closed. When I was there they still had the hill in CF, which I thought was a pretty neat tribute to the old park in Cincinnati. My favorite memory from Houston was sitting in the RCF stands and getting a good view of the Maestro making some pretty sweet plays in the outfield.

We were there years ago and they opened the roof during the game after the sun went down.

I don't think MLB rules allows that anymore. The exception being, the game started with roof open and it began to rain.

It was also $1 hot dog that night. I probably had 8 or 9.
Post #: 10934
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2018 2:33:51 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

We were there years ago and they opened the roof during the game after the sun went down.

I don't think MLB rules allows that anymore. The exception being, the game started with roof open and it began to rain.

Ron Kobayashi Hextall

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10935
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2018 6:56:14 PM   
JT2

The real Lance Lynn showed up in the Bronx tonight.
Post #: 10936
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2018 6:58:12 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ron Kobayashi Hextall

Kobayashi is so yesterday.
Post #: 10937
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2018 7:01:16 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Berardino humor

Yankeeography on hold:

Jays pin 4 on Lance Lynn in the first (3 BB, 3 singles).

57 pitches thru 2

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10938
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2018 7:11:16 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

Berardino humor

Yankeeography on hold:

57 pitches thru 2

He, like all the Twins starters, has mastered the art of grossly high pitch counts.
Post #: 10939
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2018 9:38:54 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ron Kobayashi Hextall

Kobayashi is so yesterday.

That's what makes it the funny choice.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10940
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2018 9:44:18 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

Berardino humor

Yankeeography on hold:

57 pitches thru 2

He, like all the Twins starters, has mastered the art of grossly high pitch counts.

99 pitches/4 innings

6H/5R/3BB/5K

But he has an offense, which has scored 7.
Now in rain delay in the 7th, up 7-5 (NYY)

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10941
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/20/2018 11:56:52 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Stuff the "suggestion box" at your next game, people ....

I'll trade you all your stoopid walleye on a stick ideas ..... for one gal spreading happiness.

I would post the pic but I don't think you can upload photos.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 8/20/2018 12:01:48 PM >
Post #: 10942
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/20/2018 12:17:48 PM   
SoMnFan

As I've said since day one ..
if you can't throw a first pitch, don't agree to do it.
The Nun nails it.
loved the Bicep move before hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXyKwLQeLP4
Post #: 10943
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/20/2018 12:19:38 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

The Nun nails it.

They said they can throw over 70 mph

Awesome

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10944
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/20/2018 12:20:57 PM   
Mr. Ed

Many people think it's just easy. Olivia told me the other day a number of her non-softball friends have said
"Pitching looks easy. Hitting Easier"

Olivia says she has invited some to step in and swing against her. Said she wouldn't even throw hard.
None have taken her up on it.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10945
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/20/2018 12:25:35 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Many people think it's just easy. Olivia told me the other day a number of her non-softball friends have said

Olivia says she has invited some to step in and swing against her. Said she wouldn't even throw hard.

Good on her
Its disrespectful to have people say stuff like that
Glad she calls them on it.
Kind of like kids who sit and laugh at HS hockey players who aren't smooth or skilled. Try to do all the things required at the same time. You'll never question it again, trust me.
Post #: 10946
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/20/2018 12:28:40 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

The Nun nails it.

They said they can throw over 70 mph

Awesome

So ... approximately twice as hard as Ben Revere threw ...
Post #: 10947
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/20/2018 12:29:55 PM   
sixthwi

quote:

Wow. Softball pitching is incredibly hard. Hitting not much easier. Oliva's friends are stupid.

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 10948
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/20/2018 12:32:47 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

quote:

Wow. Softball pitching is incredibly hard. Hitting not much easier. Oliva's friends are stupid.

Yup. Something to be said for the intelligence level of some brash kids talking smack.

One of the baseball boys challenged her. She said OK, let's go.

Hasn't happened.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10949
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/20/2018 12:36:04 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Softball pitching is incredibly hard. Hitting not much easier.

Liv is making adjustments to her delivery, where she'll hold the ball in the glove longer, which will give batters less time to pick it up.
All legal.
And She is still at around 55mph. Coach says she easily has 5mph to get out of her leg drive. So that's her goal. 60

Hitting wise, we'll spend all offseason making the swing quicker.
She hit .385 at Nationals, but wasn't all that happy. .500 OBP

Coach sent stats out. She was surprised. But not about walks. Led the team in walks. Did so by a large margin last spring.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10950
Page:   <<   < prev  436 437 [438] 439 440   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  436 437 [438] 439 440   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode