Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  455 456 [457] 458 459   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/23/2019 1:18:15 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Interesting convo on ESPN about 5-toolers like Yelich
I didn't realize there was a standard number for arm strength
Surprised at the 90 mph figure

But he's probably not actually a five-tool player. Traditionally, a five-tool player is meant to be average or better at hitting for average, hitting for power, running fast, catching baseballs and throwing hard. Yelich is absolutely elite at the first two, way above average in the third, probably good enough in the fourth. But his arm is below average. His "max effort" throw is about 85 mph, according to Statcast data. The typical outfielder's max-effort throws are around 90 mph. And his fastest throw, which wasn't very fast by fast-throw standards, came almost four years ago, so it's probably getting a little worse.

Kiermaier had a 100.6 MPH throw to nail Bellinger last night.

https://www.mlb.com/news/kevin-kiermaier-throws-out-cody-bellinger?partnerId=ed-13812735-1143908933

I would have never guessed he could throw that hard.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11401
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/23/2019 1:21:45 PM   
SoMnFan

Kiermaier might change some thoughts on that whole "position players mopping up in blowouts" scenario.
Post #: 11402
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/23/2019 8:09:47 PM   
Mr. Ed

NEW YORK — At 2:37 p.m. on Tuesday, the Nationals announced they had placed righthanded starter Jeremy Hellickson on the 10-day injured list with tendinitis in his pitching shoulder. By 3:15 p.m., he was throwing long toss in centerfield.
“I feel good enough to pitch,” Hellickson says a day later, in the dugout. “But it’s not best for the team.”
Hellickson has a 6.23 ERA this season. The team added a reliever, righty Javy Guerra, to bolster a tired bullpen, and will likely use righty Kyle McGowin to start in Hellickson’s place. Hellickson insists he is truly hurt—that this is not, in the parlance of baseball players, a phantom injury designed to give his organization roster flexibility—but he understands why people might not believe that. Put simply: because, very often, teams lie.

Two weeks ago, Giants lefty Derek Holland told reporters the team placed him on the IL with an injury he knew he could pitch with. “I did a fake injury,” he said. “I’m not happy about that.” (San Francisco president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi said that medical staff had known of a bone bruise on Holland’s left index finger since spring training.)

This has always been an issue, to some degree. Limited roster space mean that clubs sometimes stretch the definition of an injury so they can stash players without losing them to the minor leagues or to another team. If someone is tired or struggling, give him a week or two off to see if he can regain his stuff. But when the last collective bargaining agreement, which took effect before the 2017 season, reduced the minimum stint from 15 days to 10, IL manipulation became the new pine tar on a pitcher’s cap: No one wants to call attention to anyone else’s abuse of it, because everyone else wants to do it, too.
The Dodgers used this strategy to great effect in 2017, when their 38 DL trips led baseball. (League average was 22.9.) They needed to fit seven starting pitchers into a five-man rotation, so they turned the locker room into an emergency room. Ten days off only costs a pitcher one start, so if you game it out meticulously enough, you can buy low on players with injury histories, then get them all extra rest down the stretch.

Of course, this is all technically against the rules. The league requires the team doctor and MLB medical director to certify each injury, and the team in question must share supporting documentation. The commissioner’s office can investigate injuries it deems to be suspicious.
It’s not that simple, though. No pitcher in history has returned a clean MRI. Some teams try to avoid administering such tests because there is no way to tell which damage is old and which is new. Anyone who wants to can find an injury on a scan. There is a likely apocryphal tale of a player, as reporters approach to ask about his impending IL stint, asking his manager which leg he hurt. Most of these injuries are more legitimate than that.

“There is a really fine line between being injured and being hurt,” says Washington closer Sean Doolittle. “If they deferred to you, you’d be like, ‘No, I want to go out there and try to help the team win. These are my guys and I want to be out there with them. And yeah, I’m not at 100%, but it’s the end of May. Nobody’s 100%. Maybe this is something I can pitch through and it’ll be grindy for a month, but it’ll go away.’ But then you have to balance, if I’m not effective, am I placing a larger burden on the team?”

In truth, no one except the occasional angry player suffers. Teams get the roster flexibility they crave. The union is happy because a player continues to accrue service time and major league salary while on the IL—and another player is called up to replace him. And for the most part, the “injured” player is struggling, so he would rather play up a twisted ankle than be optioned to the minor leagues or designated for assignment.
If anyone were looking for a solution, what might that be? The league has floated the idea of a 12-day IL for starting pitchers, in the hope of costing them a second start and making the rest less desirable. Another approach might to be to manipulate the roster—legally. What if the league allowed teams to carry 28 players, with only 21 active at a time, and capped the number of pitchers at eight, one starter and seven relievers? Each night there would be seven healthy scratches, the remaining starting pitchers and a handful of other players in need of a day off. This might also reduce the number of pitchers recording one out at a time. Of course, then teams would have to pay three extra players. And that would really hurt.[/i]

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11403
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/23/2019 11:10:29 PM   
twinsfan

They really want to make this complicated, don't they?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11404
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/24/2019 1:43:11 PM   
SoMnFan

Erv Santana signs a minor league deal with the Mets
Post #: 11405
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/24/2019 3:04:05 PM   
SoMnFan

Cubs on a massive roll
That sucks.
Post #: 11406
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/24/2019 8:21:50 PM   
sixthwi

quote:

Cubs on a massive roll
That sucks.

But they lost today.

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 11407
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/24/2019 9:16:22 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

quote:

Cubs on a massive roll
That sucks.

But they lost today.

They suck. I bet they don't win another WS in my lifetime. And now that they lost their cute little "we never win it" thingy, they are even more unlikable than ever before.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11408
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/29/2019 11:44:10 AM   
twinsfan

Carlos Correa is out 4-6 weeks with a broken rib. He's becoming very injury-prone. Good thing we selected Buxton instead.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11409
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/30/2019 12:04:15 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Carlos Correa is out 4-6 weeks with a broken rib. He's becoming very injury-prone. Good thing we selected Buxton instead.

Yeah, Buxton NEVER gets hurt.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 11410
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/30/2019 12:29:04 PM   
SoMnFan

That one laid there awhile ….
Post #: 11411
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/30/2019 1:17:33 PM   
kgdabom

I know we all love to hate on him, but Brian Harper showing signs of life last couple days at least.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11412
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/30/2019 1:21:01 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

I know we all love to hate on him, but Brian Harper showing signs of life last couple days at least.

He retired many years ago.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11413
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/30/2019 1:21:20 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Probably my favorite Twin on the '91 team.
He's kinda long in the tooth by now, but I'm listening ….
Post #: 11414
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/30/2019 1:24:25 PM   
Mr. Ed

Brian Harper was a great story
Nobody to a .300 hitter and key to a world championship

What’s not to like

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11415
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/30/2019 1:24:37 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Probably my favorite Twin on the '91 team.
He's kinda long in the tooth by now, but I'm listening ….

Bryce/Brian it's all the same.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11416
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/30/2019 1:25:12 PM   
SoMnFan

Brenden, Brendan, Brandon ….
Post #: 11417
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/30/2019 1:25:39 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Brenden, Brendan, Brandon ….

exactly.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11418
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/30/2019 2:06:06 PM   
MDK

Brian Harper

https://media1.giphy.com/media/61Okhgarl3EBi/giphy.gif

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 11419
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/30/2019 2:08:07 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

Brian Harper

https://media1.giphy.com/media/61Okhgarl3EBi/giphy.gif

No one tougher
LOVED that play
What you got? That's all? Here's the ball. You …. out.
Post #: 11420
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 5/31/2019 9:38:02 PM   
SoMnFan

Our old pal Aaron Hicks with the big hit as the Yanks stretch the lead over Bahhhstan to 8.5 games
Post #: 11421
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/3/2019 5:37:51 PM   
Mr. Ed

Former big leaguer

Darin Erstad steps down as #Huskers baseball coach. “I have made the extremely difficult decision to step away from coaching,” Erstad said. “I love this team. I love our staff and I love Nebraska. The bottom line is I do not want to miss seeing our kids grow up.”

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11422
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/4/2019 8:16:41 PM   
SoMnFan

Damn. McCutcheon out for the year
ACL
Can’t give up too many more at his age.
Post #: 11423
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/6/2019 1:57:57 PM   
SoMnFan

Another day, another "man the Central gets their asses kicked by everyone"
KC and Detroit getting pushed around this week again.
Post #: 11424
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/6/2019 2:05:34 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Damn. McCutcheon out for the year
ACL
Can’t give up too many more at his age.

I fell so bad for Philly ....

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 11425
Page:   <<   < prev  455 456 [457] 458 459   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  455 456 [457] 458 459   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode