Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  458 459 [460] 461 462   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2019 11:12:11 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

From the "See! I told you so crowd":

Neither Harper nor Machado currently on the all-star roster for the NL

And a team 9 games under has 2 all star reps (mets)

That's so awesome

Since you mentioned the immensely overrated Harper, I though I would update the tale of two right fielders.

Bryce Harper: .250, .368, .471, .839, 15 HR, 59 RBI 101 SO

Max Kepler: .269, .344, .548, .892, 21 HR, 56 RBI 53 SO

So far Max is out hitting and out slugging Harper, while Harper has drawn more walks and stuck out twice as much as Max. I said Philly was dumb as ass when they signed that overrated douche bag to that contract and Harper has nothing to disprove that.

Plus Max can move over and play center field when need be....

Loving me some Max Kepler. That extension looks brilliant right now.
'

Looks a lot smarter than Harper at 10X the money.

Paul Goldschmidt isn't faring so well with the Cardinals either (5 years 130 millon and they traded 3 prospects for him)

As opposed to our waiver claim CJ Cron.

Extending Polanco hasn't hurt either over opening up the checkbook for Machado.

Falvey and Levine have been wise IMHO.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 11476
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2019 11:15:52 AM   
SoMnFan

I think Ed mentioned it the other day …

There's a very fine line between succeeding and failing in these games.
Contrary to some experts opinions, This FO DID still use the "we hope" method in selecting some of these guys.
Some years they make you look golden, some years they get you fired.
we've gotten very fortunate on some guys.
Post #: 11477
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2019 12:03:50 PM   
MDK

I think Falvine are going after their types of players.

Their big challenge now is to convince Rosario of an extension. Word was that Rosario and his agent turned them down this past year. I say make it happen.

And Falvine have to find help for the pen which I think they will.

The one starter that needs to move to the pen is Pineda......not because he is ineffective.....but he is going to come up on a innings limit. He has 86 innings now and the most he has ever thrown was 175. Coming off TJ surgery, I am sure he is past the half way point of the innings they want him to throw.....can't see him going over 150 and that might be high.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 11478
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2019 4:28:51 PM   
TJSweens

Wow, Tyler Skaggs dies at age 27.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/angels/2019/07/01/tyler-skaggs-los-angeles-angels-pitcher-dies-27/1622738001/

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 11479
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2019 4:31:58 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/angels/2019/07/01/tyler-skaggs-los-angeles-angels-pitcher-dies-27/1622738001/

How can they not issue a cause?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11480
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2019 4:33:20 PM   
twinsfan

Skaggs was found dead in his hotel room on July 1, 2019, in Southlake, Texas.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11481
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2019 4:38:29 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

How can they not issue a cause?

They may not have one, pending an autopsy and notification of his family.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 11482
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/2/2019 7:45:43 AM   
SoMnFan

I've never understood the Teflon qualities of David Ortiz
He finally gets his, and people STILL defend him to the ground
Its now coming out theres "more to the story"
Wow, knock me over with a feather. Ya think?
The "police" there, and their "mistaken identity" theory isn't working for ya anymore? He's not the 5 foot 2 white guy he was mistaken for? Whaaaat?
Just kinda irritates me how some people get every opp in the world to stay clean.
Boston wanted to make him a saint, and they did, and baseball went along with it.
Steroids? No way. Too brash? No way. Womanizer? No way. Drug lord? No way
Just sayin. Quick to cut some to shreds, quick to defend the others.
Wheres theres smoke, theres usually a bunch of fire. No matter how much denial people want to use.
Not meaning it as an indictment of him, he's seemed like a decent dude in the moment. But lets be fair.
Post #: 11483
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/2/2019 9:11:37 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I've never understood the Teflon qualities of David Ortiz
He finally gets his, and people STILL defend him to the ground
Its now coming out theres "more to the story"
Wow, knock me over with a feather. Ya think?
The "police" there, and their "mistaken identity" theory isn't working for ya anymore? He's not the 5 foot 2 white guy he was mistaken for? Whaaaat?
Just kinda irritates me how some people get every opp in the world to stay clean.
Boston wanted to make him a saint, and they did, and baseball went along with it.
Steroids? No way. Too brash? No way. Womanizer? No way. Drug lord? No way
Just sayin. Quick to cut some to shreds, quick to defend the others.
Wheres theres smoke, theres usually a bunch of fire. No matter how much denial people want to use.
Not meaning it as an indictment of him, he's seemed like a decent dude in the moment. But lets be fair.

David Ortiz is a cheaten ass bastard, who's mediocre career took off when he met up with Manny and started juicing. Then he covered the sudden surge in performance with that bullshit story that the Twins told him not to hit home runs. F*** him! He's a piece of shit.

Post #: 11484
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/2/2019 9:40:01 AM   
CPAMAN

The Dominican Republic seems to be one really strange country right now. Tourists are getting sick and dying during their travel there and they still are not certain what the cause is.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 11485
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/2/2019 9:48:27 AM   
TJSweens

Yeah, it's definitely not a vacation destination for me at this point.

Post #: 11486
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/2/2019 9:55:21 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Speaking of Boston, I was talking to my brother who recently moved to Portland Maine. He is our family's lone Republican and he is already bitching about Maine and Portland in particular leaning more Democrat due to an infusion Massachusetts transplants. Apparently the locals refer to them ... and this is the part you'll enjoy ... as Massholes.

Post #: 11487
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/2/2019 10:00:54 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

Speaking of Boston, I was talking to my brother who recently moved to Portland Maine. He is our family's lone Republican and he is already bitching about Maine and Portland in particular leaning more Democrat due to an infusion Massachusetts transplants. Apparently the locals refer to them ... and this is the part you'll enjoy ... as Massholes.

Just like the North Dakota waterfowlers refer to MN duck hunters as "blue platers" referring to the blue on our license plates. But if you look at a North Dakota plate, blue is the feature color so it really doesn't make much sense.

Post #: 11488
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/2/2019 10:17:33 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

Just like the North Dakota waterfowlers refer to MN duck hunters as "blue platers" referring to the blue on our license plates. But if you look at a North Dakota plate, blue is the feature color so it really doesn't make much sense.

I always considered ND plates to be poop-brown.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11489
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/2/2019 6:12:27 PM   
twinsfan

Costas and Kaat doing the game on MLB Network right now. Unfortunately I see it is Yanks Vs Mets. I'll watch for the announcers.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11490
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/2/2019 6:17:18 PM   
twinsfan

Hicks is pulling his head way off the ball. Looks like he needs to go back to square one from the left side of the plate.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11491
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/2/2019 6:42:22 PM   
twinsfan

Dang Torres! Must be motivated by that All-star snub. Let's hope the Twins have a lot of motivated guys too.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11492
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/3/2019 8:17:06 AM   
twinsfan

Patrick Corbin wears #45 last night in honor of his best friend, Tyler Skaggs.

WASHINGTON -- Patrick Corbin and Tyler Skaggs were both drafted by the Angels in June 2009, one round and 40 picks apart from one another. They were traded to Arizona together in July ’10 and each made his big league debut with the D-backs in ’12. Even after Skaggs was traded back to the Halos, the two remained close. When Corbin got married in November, Skaggs was in the wedding.

It made for an emotional 24 hours for Corbin following the sudden passing of Skaggs, who died Monday at age 27. But Corbin still wanted to pitch on Tuesday night at Nationals Park against the Marlins. At dinner the night before, he had the idea to honor his friend by exchanging his usual No. 46, the number he has worn for his entire career, for Skaggs’ jersey No. 45. The Nationals held a moment of silence before the game in memory of Skaggs, and Corbin paused his warmup pitches from the bullpen. And then he lost it.

“He’s just all I’m thinking about,” Corbin said as he fought back tears again following the Nationals' 3-2 victory.

Sometimes baseball can offer refuge from the emotions of real life. Corbin saw the Angels were playing Tuesday night, and he figured it was best for him to also go out there and pitch.

On the back of the pitcher’s mound before tossing his warmup pitches, Corbin drew the number 45 in the dirt. And he then proceeded to pay tribute to Skaggs with a stellar outing, twirling seven innings of one-run ball with seven strikeouts.

“It’s one of those performances that we’re going to remember,” catcher Yan Gomes said. “He’s going to remember just because of how much motivation he had behind it. And I know Tyler would’ve been proud of him. And for what he did for his family today, it’s a really cool moment and it’s really heartfelt.”

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11493
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/3/2019 8:35:19 AM   
twinsfan

You can really see what Skaggs meant to his teammates by watching the press conference after last night's win over the Rangers:

https://www.mlb.com/news/angels-win-first-game-after-passing-of-tyler-skaggs

It's tough to watch. Heartbreaking. Like Bour says at the end, as bad as you feel for the team, you've gotta feel even worse for his family.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11494
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/3/2019 9:00:43 AM   
SoMnFan

Good stuff Matt
This stuff is hard to understand
Post #: 11495
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/3/2019 12:35:54 PM   
twinsfan

Diamondbacks find a new, painful way to lose after walking 5 straight in the bottom of the 9th

Some say that there’s nothing new under the sun, but the Arizona Diamondbacks proved that old adage wrong on Tuesday night. Unfortunately, they proved it wrong by finding a new and extremely painful way to lose a baseball game.

The Diamondbacks were leading the Los Angeles Dodgers 4-3 in the bottom of the ninth at Dodger Stadium. Closer Greg Holland had gotten two quick outs, and needed just one more to sew up a win. They were so, so close, but that’s when everything came apart. Because Holland and reliever T.J. McFarland combined to walk five straight Dodgers batters.

It seemed like a little blip at first. After those two outs, Holland walked Chris Taylor on six pitches. But then Holland walked Russell Martin on seven pitches. Walking two with a one-run lead in the bottom of the ninth is not what you want your closer to be doing, so it was time for a mound visit.

It didn’t do much good, because Holland then walked Alex Verdugo. Now the bases were loaded and the Diamondbacks’ lead was hanging by its fingertips, but they didn’t pull Holland. He needed just one more out. He couldn’t possibly walk a fourth straight batter, could he?

He could, and he did. He walked in a run, which tied the game 4-4. The Diamondbacks finally pulled Holland and put McFarland on the mound to try and send the game to extra innings. McFarland needed just one out, and to not walk the next batter he faced.

So what did he do? He walked Cody Bellinger to score the winning run. The Dodgers, who were a single out from defeat, won 5-4 on five straight walks.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, a game hasn’t ended on five straight walks with no outs between those walks in the entire live-ball era, which began in 1920.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11496
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/3/2019 12:37:47 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Diamondbacks find a new, painful way to lose after walking 5 straight in the bottom of the 9th

Some say that there’s nothing new under the sun, but the Arizona Diamondbacks proved that old adage wrong on Tuesday night. Unfortunately, they proved it wrong by finding a new and extremely painful way to lose a baseball game.

The Diamondbacks were leading the Los Angeles Dodgers 4-3 in the bottom of the ninth at Dodger Stadium. Closer Greg Holland had gotten two quick outs, and needed just one more to sew up a win. They were so, so close, but that’s when everything came apart. Because Holland and reliever T.J. McFarland combined to walk five straight Dodgers batters.

It seemed like a little blip at first. After those two outs, Holland walked Chris Taylor on six pitches. But then Holland walked Russell Martin on seven pitches. Walking two with a one-run lead in the bottom of the ninth is not what you want your closer to be doing, so it was time for a mound visit.

It didn’t do much good, because Holland then walked Alex Verdugo. Now the bases were loaded and the Diamondbacks’ lead was hanging by its fingertips, but they didn’t pull Holland. He needed just one more out. He couldn’t possibly walk a fourth straight batter, could he?

He could, and he did. He walked in a run, which tied the game 4-4. The Diamondbacks finally pulled Holland and put McFarland on the mound to try and send the game to extra innings. McFarland needed just one out, and to not walk the next batter he faced.

So what did he do? He walked Cody Bellinger to score the winning run. The Dodgers, who were a single out from defeat, won 5-4 on five straight walks.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, a game hasn’t ended on five straight walks with no outs between those walks in the entire live-ball era, which began in 1920.

Must have 5 Grossmans
Stand and make the Ump help you out
My favorite line when umping …. "you BETTER be ready to swing the bat, chief"
Post #: 11497
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/5/2019 12:24:33 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

You can really see what Skaggs meant to his teammates by watching the press conference after last night's win over the Rangers:

https://www.mlb.com/news/angels-win-first-game-after-passing-of-tyler-skaggs

It's tough to watch. Heartbreaking. Like Bour says at the end, as bad as you feel for the team, you've gotta feel even worse for his family.

Have they determined the cause of death to be suicide or drug overdose. Those are usually the most frequent causes for a young person. Occasionally, it is a freak health related issue like a heart attack or stroke.

Post #: 11498
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/6/2019 6:00:19 PM   
Mr. Ed

Cleveland Indians starting pitcher Carlos Carrasco has been diagnosed with leukemia, Carrasco announced.

Carrasco, who was diagnosed in June, told a TV station in the Dominican Republic about his condition while on a visit to a hospital, where he was seeing patients. Carrasco remains positive about his prognosis and said the condition is "under control." The 32-year-old right-hander believes he will pitch again this season.

Carrasco revealed that he was feeling lethargic for several weeks in May and told CDN 37 that doctors “saw something different in my blood.” He was placed on the injured list on June 5 with an unspecified diagnosed blood disorder. The Indians previously said Carrasco was "stepping away from baseball activities to explore the optimal treatment and recovery options" and that they expected him to return "at some point this season."

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11499
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/9/2019 11:17:36 AM   
twinsfan

“You can smoke weed, crack, or shoot heroin and we’ll protect that guy and his right to privacy, but God forbid you take something to heal or benefit your body and become a better athlete or player. Then, they portray you as taking an evil substance. “I should have put myself in therapy and told baseball I have a disease. My disease is that I’m addicted to steroids. Then I could have had a press conference, and cried, and they could have had a GoFundMe for pitiful David. “I don’t smoke weed, smoke crack, shoot up heroin, or take any of the street drugs, but because I used steroids, I’m demonized. People talk about morality. Well, when has morality been part of professional sports? When has morality been part of baseball? Find me the era. This doesn’t take away from the game. Tell me one sport that’s clean? “Do I think we have a responsibility to be good humans and citizens? Absolutely. But when I die, and they say at the pearly gates that the worst thing I did was take medicine to be stronger and faster and be a better ballplayer, I like my chances."

-David Segui

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11500
Page:   <<   < prev  458 459 [460] 461 462   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  458 459 [460] 461 462   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode