Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  481 482 [483] 484 485   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/10/2020 8:23:25 PM   
kgdabom

Do we want Wilcox or Burns?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12051
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/25/2020 2:47:19 PM   
SoMnFan

Love stories like this
Can't say I ever was a big fan of Olerud, but this is a damn cool story.

Inside the legend of John Olerud, college baseball's two-way star

Here is how great John Olerud was in college.
Every week during practice, the Washington State baseball team ran the Ole (pronounced "Oh-lee") Drill. The beanpole underclassman would step into the batter's box while his Cougars teammates took their positions in the field. As pitches were hurled toward Olerud at the plate, head coach Bobo Brayton would loudly growl out the situations he wanted his defense to practice.
"Hot grounder through the six-hole!"
Olerud would meet the ball with a downward stroke that sent a worm-burner just past the outstretched glove of the shortstop.
"Double over your heads and off the left-center-field wall!"
Olerud would stroke a slow-rising glider that outran the outfielders -- and indeed ricocheted off the wall in left-center.
Brayton would keep going.
"Infield fly between the mound and first! Baltimore chop toward third! Opposite-fielder down into the corner!"
"It was the craziest damn thing I've ever seen," recalls Dave Wainhouse, who played with Olerud at Washington State and played against him in both high school and in the majors. "Whatever Bobo said to do, no matter how crazy, John just did it. I can't remember a time when he missed. You would catch yourself just watching him. And that happened all the time, not just in practice. During games too. That's how good he was."
John Olerud wasn't merely good at Washington State. He wasn't simply great either. He might very well have been the greatest college baseball player who ever walked his golden spikes onto campus. Over three seasons (1987-89) in Pullman, he hit .434 with 33 homers. He also posted a career pitching record of 26-4.
"You would prepare for a series against Washington State by saying, 'OK, we know John Olerud's going to get his three hits, so let's just try to minimize the damage he can do with those hits,'" recalls Mark Marquess, Stanford's head coach from 1967 to 2017 and part of the other half of a massive Cardinal-vs.-Cougs rivalry during Olerud's three seasons. "Then you had to remind everyone that, 'Oh, by the way, he's also pitching Friday night and he hasn't lost a game all year.'"
The list of the greatest two-way college baseball players is packed with legendary names, from Tennessee's Todd Helton and Kentucky's A.J. Reed to Texas Longhorn Brooks Kieschnick and Minnesota's Dave Winfield. So many of those legends were built on foundations of both Paul Bunyan-sized stats and personalities.
But they all might very well take a backseat to the gentle giant from Seattle, who at 6-foot-5, 200 pounds, was built like Ted Williams, with a textbook swishy swing to match. But unlike the vociferous Splendid Splinter, Olerud chose to speak softly while swinging his stick, all the while making others swing and miss with theirs.
"I've always been so proud of what I did in college, being a two-way player, and I loved tracking other guys who played the same way," says Winfield, the four-sport Golden Gophers star who legendarily won Most Outstanding Player of the 1972 College World Series even though his team failed to make the finals. He hit .467 while striking out 29 batters.
"I had heard about this kid from Washington State and the numbers he was putting up," Winfield says. "Just a couple of seasons later we started the season hitting back-to-back in the starting lineup with the Toronto Blue Jays. The first time I saw John take live batting practice, I said, 'OK, this is the guy they were telling me about.' And yeah, he was every bit as good as they told me he was. We won a World Series together in 1992 and the next year he nearly hit .400. I don't think I ever saw his pulse rate get above 60. We started calling him Hobbsy, because he was this aw-shucks guy who could hit like you've never seen, like Roy Hobbs from 'The Natural.'"
Washington State University
When Winfield talks about his old lineup mate, he quickly shifts the conversation away from the numbers.
"Then, when you asked him about that helmet that he always wore, even in the field, and you learned the story of what he had overcome, that's the real story of John Olerud," Winfield said.
The Hall of Famer is speaking about the moment Olerud was quite literally struck down by an unforeseen illness. His 1988 sophomore season was historic. He hit .464 with 23 homers and 81 RBIs. He also posted a perfect 15-0 record on the mound with a 2.49 ERA and 133 strikeouts, doing so as college baseball was stepping into the dawn of its tricked-out-bat-powered "Gorilla Ball" era. He was named Baseball America's College Baseball Player of the Year at 19. The following January, as the Cougars were in the middle of preseason workouts, Olerud was running indoors with his teammates when he collapsed suddenly. He was suffering from a subarachnoid hemorrhage, a stroke that was pouring blood into his spinal column, though the initial X-rays failed to diagnose the true cause of the problems. His father, Dr. John Olerud, also a former Wazzu star and the head of dermatology at the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle, sought a second opinion. That X-ray revealed a brain aneurysm just behind his nasal cavity. Had it burst, it could have been fatal. So that February, just as he should have been starting his junior season, Olerud underwent a six-hour brain surgery. Dr. Olerud requested the surgeons go in through the left side, to minimize any potential damage to the right side of his brain, the half that controlled the baseball-critical motor skills of the left-handed hitter and pitcher.
By mid-April, Olerud was back in the lineup, wearing a helmet full time, and he hit .359, good enough to earn first-team All-Pac-10 honors as a designated hitter. He was drafted in the third round by Toronto and skipped the minors entirely, joining the Blue Jays only a few days after signing. He never pitched professionally, but he didn't need to, hitting .295 over 17 seasons, earning a pair of All-Star Game selections, three Gold Gloves and a pair of World Series rings.
Washington State University
Meanwhile, the John Olerud legend continues to loom large. Since 2010, the College Baseball Hall of Fame has presented the John Olerud Award to the sport's best two-way player of the season. He still lives in Seattle, where he and wife Kelly run the Jordan Olerud Foundation, providing support for parents of children with special needs. Their middle child, daughter Jordan, was born in August 2000 with the rare chromosome syndrome tri-some 2P, 5P-, missing an extra second chromosome and missing part of a fifth, which greatly hampered her physical and mental development.
Olerud's final five big league seasons were played back in Seattle with the Mariners as he tried to navigate caring for Jordan.
"It was a challenge that is hard to explain to anyone who hasn't been there," Olerud explains. "That's why we started the foundation in 2003, to try and set up a support system for parents who find themselves where we did, with their world turned upside down. There is help out there, but there was no road map for us to find that help. Hopefully we have helped people to find the guidance and help they need, because we were right there, for 19 years."
On March 1, the Olerud family announced that Jordan had died at the age of 19.
"That was the last time that I saw John and it was the first time I had seen him in a long time, even though we live close to each other," says Wainhouse. "It was great to see him, despite the circumstances, and it was a reminder that we all need to do a better job of staying in touch."
It was also a reminder of the good old days on the Palouse, when the quiet gentleman from the Pacific Northwest set records with his arm and his bat that might never be broken.
Among the general public, the greatest two-way player in the history of college baseball might never be as acknowledged as he should. But back in Pullman, No. 18 will never be forgotten. "For years, Bobo kept putting John in the lineup, even after he was long gone," Wainhouse says, laughing. "When you'd ask him about it, he'd say, 'Hell, Ole was the best player we've had, so we might as well keep plugging him in there, just in case.'"

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12052
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/25/2020 3:47:22 PM   
Mr. Ed

The Legend of Olerud

That's pretty cool drill

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12053
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/25/2020 4:09:52 PM   
twinsfan

Cool. I still think of Rickey Henderson every time I come across John Olerud's name.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12054
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/25/2020 4:10:57 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

The Legend of Olerud

That's pretty cool drill

I was hoping for the Olerud Rickey Henderson conversation. Where Rickey asked why Olerud wore a hard helmet in the field. Olerud told him why, Rickey said I use to play with another guy that also wore a hard helmet in the field, Olerud said "Yes, that was me".
Post #: 12055
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/25/2020 5:37:41 PM   
Steve Lentz

Thanks for sharing SMF.
What a great story. Olerud could flat out hit!

Winfield was the dominant player in the 72 series as well as I watched all the Gopher games.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 12056
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 6/26/2020 5:40:49 PM   
kgdabom

There's a game Yankees vs White Sox that was scheduled to be played at the actual field of Field of Dreams on August 13th. To me there is something magical about the movie and I sure hope the game will still be played. I looked for an update, but nobody knows.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12057
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2020 9:48:34 AM   
Mr. Ed

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day. Still 15 more years to go at 1.2 million/year!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12058
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2020 11:08:30 AM   
TJSweens

Who would have thought Bernie Madoff's giant ponzi scheme would even impact a professional baseball contract. The Mets will wind up paying out $29.8 million dollars to defer a $6 million salary. Only the Mets.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12059
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/1/2020 11:35:36 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Who would have thought Bernie Madoff's giant ponzi scheme would even impact a professional baseball contract. The Mets will wind up paying out $29.8 million dollars to defer a $6 million salary. Only the Mets.

That is so funny.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12060
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/4/2020 1:02:59 PM   
Mr. Ed

Former Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Tyson Brummett died Friday morning in a plane crash that killed three other people, police say.

Brummett, 35, was piloting a small plane out of South Valley Regional Airport in West Jordan, Utah, when deputies with the Utah County Sheriff’s Office received reports at around 8 a.m. that the aircraft crashed near the Box Elder Peak in American Fork Canyon, according to a press release.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12061
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/4/2020 7:36:48 PM   
Mr. Ed

David Price, the former Cy Young Award winner who was heading into his first season with the Los Angeles Dodgers, became the latest player to opt out of the 2020 season on Saturday, alluding to health concerns because of the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29410895/dodgers-pitcher-david-price-says-play-season

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12062
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/7/2020 3:52:06 PM   
twinsfan

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lou-whitaker-turned-a-damn-good-double-play/

A strong case for Lou Whitaker as a HOFer. I agree.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12063
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/8/2020 5:43:46 AM   
kgdabom

Has Rosario signed?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12064
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/8/2020 4:02:06 PM   
twinsfan

Delino Deshields has tested positive for COVID-19. Hard to believe he's still in the league. Seems like he's been around forever.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12065
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/14/2020 5:04:41 PM   
kgdabom

YASIEL PUIG
OF, CLEVELAND INDIANS

Yasiel Puig is signing with the Braves, a source told MLB.com's Mark Feinsand.
The Braves have Freddie Freeman out with COVID-19 and they lost Nick Markakis, but they still didn't seem to have as much need for Puig as several other teams. Still, it should be a great addition. Puig can play right field, with Ronald Acuna Jr. moving to left and Marcell Ozuna becoming a DH. The team can also use Acuna in center over Ender Inciarte if it wants to get more offense into the lineup. One imagines Puig will open up as a lineup fixture, so he's an option in rounds 8-10 of mixed-league drafts.

RELATED: Atlanta Braves
SOURCE: Mark Feinsand on Twitter
Jul 14, 2020, 3:37 PM ET

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12066
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/20/2020 3:05:07 PM   
SoMnFan

Know what REALLY sucks?

The Houston Asterisks will be able to skate by without feeling much wrath, thanks to the Covid changes
That bites.
I was hoping to spend the year listening to fans let em have it.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12067
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/20/2020 3:19:52 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Know what REALLY sucks?

The Houston Asterisks will be able to skate by without feeling much wrath, thanks to the Covid changes
That bites.

To me it's over and done with. Teams have always stolen signs and it was considered honorable. The Astros just used technology to do it. Less honorable.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12068
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/20/2020 3:43:32 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Know what REALLY sucks?

That bites.

William asked me about this.
He's hoping the bad blood spills over to 2021 too.

And that there are a few bean ball games.

Can you social distance in a bench-clearing brawl?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12069
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/22/2020 8:39:36 AM   
SoMnFan

Watched our old boy Gibby looking like our old boy Gibby
Rockies bashed him around for a couple innings last night on the TeeeeVeeeeeeee

(btw, going to be hard to get used to the canned sounds. I no likey)

The "normal" sounds of sports have been highly underrated my entire life, I am finding out …..

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12070
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/22/2020 9:04:51 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Watched our old boy Gibby looking like our old boy Gibby
Rockies bashed him around for a couple innings last night on the TeeeeVeeeeeeee

(btw, going to be hard to get used to the canned sounds. I no likey)

The "normal" sounds of sports have been highly underrated my entire life, I am finding out …..

How bad is it going to sound on the radio?

We're in the Cities, the game's in Chicago, and here is a bunch of fake noise. First blooper could be a doozy with Gladden.

Gibson was one of the reasons some dumb-as-ass writers though TX would be an improved rotation. Numbers truly don't tell everything.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12071
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/22/2020 4:38:30 PM   
twinsfan

RIP Mike Ryan. Too young.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12072
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/23/2020 9:30:10 PM   
twinsfan

Brandon Crawford sure is slow down the line for a SS.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12073
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/23/2020 10:23:57 PM   
twinsfan

It's so bizarre that the Blue Jays still don't know where they'll play their home games.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12074
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/24/2020 8:15:42 AM   
twinsfan

WOW! I went to bed with the score tied 1-1 in the 7th. Dodgers go on to win 8-1. I guess something broke loose.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12075
Page:   <<   < prev  481 482 [483] 484 485   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  481 482 [483] 484 485   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode