Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  485 486 [487] 488 489   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 10:31:26 AM   
SoMnFan

I missed the part where someone got hurt.
Except their butt maybe.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12151
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 10:51:56 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

You reap what you sow
That applies to Manfred
And the Asterisks

I was sad to hear Roy Boy defending the suspension on the Twins broadcast.

Agreed
I cringed
One of the few times he took the easy route

The suspension wasn't long enough. It's never OK to throw a hard object at another human being and this psychopath macho man went for his head. Fuk the baseball tradition. Throwing at players has to stop.

He didn’t throw at anyone. Nobody got hit. What he did was give them something to think about and make them feel uncomfortable at the plate. That is a pitcher’s job. Poor babies couldn’t handle it.
Post #: 12152
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 11:50:04 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You reap what you sow
That applies to Manfred
And the Asterisks

Agreed
I cringed

The suspension wasn't long enough. It's never OK to throw a hard object at another human being and this psychopath macho man went for his head. Fuk the baseball tradition. Throwing at players has to stop.

He didn’t throw at anyone. Nobody got hit. What he did was give them something to think about and make them feel uncomfortable at the plate. That is a pitcher’s job. Poor babies couldn’t handle it.

Bullshit. He threw at him. So what if nobody got hit. This manly/macho tradition of throwing at your competitors (which is actually cowardice) has been allowed to exist for far too long. It should be prosecuted just the same as if it had happened on the streets.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/30/2020 11:55:34 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12153
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 11:53:05 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Except their butt maybe.

To you it's OK because he missed. What if he hadn't missed. Is it OK with you if Bregman had been killed so a message could be sent. What about not killed just maimed. Would that make it OK. It's not OK. It's assault with a deadly weapon.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12154
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 12:20:22 PM   
SoMnFan

Except their butt maybe.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12155
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 12:33:43 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Except their butt maybe.

Whatever. You be all manly and macho while defending cowardice and criminal behavior. You know I'm right.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12156
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 12:37:21 PM   
SoMnFan

Since this will go on and on forever with no real end …
(except more moral lectures) ...
Here's my last thought (to you) on it

Yes, throwing at a batter’s head is incredibly dangerous. It’s also worth noting, though, that there’s a small but definitive danger to a pitcher serving up a fastball to a batter who knows what’s coming. You need only look back to July 4, when the Yankees’ Giancarlo Stanton snapped a liner off the head of teammate Masahiro Tanaka in an intrasquad game. Tanaka ended up being OK, but it took him two weeks to face live batters again. Even now, the sight of him collapsing to the mound in a heap after getting drilled is one every baseball fan dreads.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12157
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 12:41:23 PM   
SoMnFan

Still, you know the best way MLB could have avoided this kind of Wild West scenario? If it had brought the hammer down on individual Astros, or at least attempted to do so, before opposing pitchers ever began warming up. The opportunity was there, but MLB let it pass through a combination of offered immunity and unwillingness to challenge the players’ union over punishment. So now, the pitchers have the ball … and you never know where it might end up.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12158
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 12:43:29 PM   
Mr. Ed

Let's all just hold hands, sing a campfire song, and forgive those poor Astros for cheating their way to a title, with ZERO consequences to the players who participated in it.

That's what we're all about. forgive. forget. Be nice to each other.

No thanks. They tainted baseball like no other. Cheating then off the hook by an idiot commissioner who only took it out on executives of a team because he needed the players to snitch vs lying through their teeth.

< Message edited by Mr. Ed -- 7/30/2020 12:44:34 PM >

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12159
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 12:45:26 PM   
Mr. Ed

And the SAWX are equally as bad. They've gotten off the hook too.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12160
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 12:59:29 PM   
TJSweens

And the Skankeroos.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12161
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 1:04:55 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Let's all just hold hands, sing a campfire song, and forgive those poor Astros for cheating their way to a title, with ZERO consequences to the players who participated in it.

That's what we're all about. forgive. forget. Be nice to each other.

No thanks. They tainted baseball like no other. Cheating then off the hook by an idiot commissioner who only took it out on executives of a team because he needed the players to snitch vs lying through their teeth.

The consequences shouldn't include being subject to assault with a deadly weapon. Plea deals are arranged in criminal court all the time. Immunity to the underlings who rat out the boss is commonplace. What was done in baseball is no different than what goes on in criminal court.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12162
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 1:05:43 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

And the Skankeroos.

Don't you mean the Skankees?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12163
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 1:11:57 PM   
Mr. Ed

Ball in Philly is off

The Philadelphia Phillies have canceled all activities at Citizens Bank Park, including a weekend series against the Blue Jays, after a member of the coaching staff and a member of the home clubhouse staff tested positive for the coronavirus, the team announced Thursday.

The Phillies said no players have tested positive.

They should have added

so far

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12164
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 1:13:01 PM   
TJSweens

And my apologies to the more self righteous posters in here, but I just can't bring myself to get worked up about the abuse the Astros players are taking. It's not criminal behavior as there are no statutes in the law governing bean balls in baseball. Can't really say that it is cowardly, since history has shown batters who have been intentionally beaned have shown a propensity to charge the mound. The pitcher knows this.

Backing a hitter off the plate, beaning him, knocking him down, brushing back, low bridging, etc., for any number of reasons has been part of the game since its inception.

It's baseball.

Play ball.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12165
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 1:15:56 PM   
David Levine

quote:

And my apologies to the more self righteous posters in here, but I just can't bring myself to get worked up about the abuse the Astros players are taking. It's not criminal behavior as there are no statutes in the law governing bean balls in baseball. Can't really say that it is cowardly, since history has shown batters who have been intentionally beaned have shown a propensity to charge the mound. The pitcher knows this.

Backing a hitter off the plate, beaning him, knocking him down, brushing back, low bridging, etc., for any number of reasons has been part of the game since its inception.

It's baseball.

Play ball.

Maybe we can start prosecuting NFL players when they injure someone?
Post #: 12166
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 1:21:27 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

It's baseball.

Play ball.

It's coming.

Civil lawsuits for concussions/permanent injuries caused by a player's hit.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12167
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 1:40:37 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

It's baseball.

Play ball.

Intentionally throwing at the batter is a part of baseball that can be fixed. It's a part of baseball that should be fixed. It is criminal behavior. The statute is assault with a deadly weapon. Just apply the same penalties as doing it anywhere else.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/30/2020 1:44:14 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12168
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 1:43:32 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

It's baseball.

Play ball.

Not if the injury happens within the rules of the game. If Myles Garrett had significantly injured Mason Rudolph last year by clubbing him with a helmet I would have had no problem with him being prosecuted for that despite the fact that Mason was being a dick and kind of asking for it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12169
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 1:44:40 PM   
SoMnFan

Some days you just let it write itself …….

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12170
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 1:45:52 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Must...not...go....there.....

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12171
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 1:47:11 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I just don't get why people continue to bang their heads against this particular wall.

We all know the famous quote about insanity...
Post #: 12172
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 1:55:23 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Almost as good as Ricky J's "Can't wait to see what a body of a 70 year old feels like."

Post #: 12173
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 4:30:21 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You reap what you sow
That applies to Manfred
And the Asterisks

Agreed
I cringed

Bullshit. He threw at him. So what if nobody got hit. This manly/macho tradition of throwing at your competitors (which is actually cowardice) has been allowed to exist for far too long. It should be prosecuted just the same as if it had happened on the streets.

Nope. He threw behind the batter’s head. If he wanted to plunk him in the head he surely could have. Throwing behind the head is a scare tactic. It’s a message. Because it gives the batter that same feeling of terror that a fastball is coming at him.
Post #: 12174
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/30/2020 6:22:50 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You reap what you sow
That applies to Manfred
And the Asterisks

Agreed
I cringed

Nope. He threw behind the batter’s head. If he wanted to plunk him in the head he surely could have. Throwing behind the head is a scare tactic. It’s a message. Because it gives the batter that same feeling of terror that a fastball is coming at him.

Even if you're right it's an asshole move. If he has a problem with the batter then go after him with his fists.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12175
Page:   <<   < prev  485 486 [487] 488 489   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  485 486 [487] 488 489   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode