Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  490 491 [492] 493 494   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/15/2020 11:37:40 AM   
Mr. Ed

Games between the Reds and Pirates on Saturday and Sunday have been postponed after a Cincinnati player tested positive for the coronavirus on Friday, Major League Baseball announced.

The teams were informed of the positive test after Friday's game in Cincinnati.

The Reds and Pirates could potentially play a doubleheader on Monday, when both have an off-day. They have two more series in which they can make up lost games, too.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12276
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/15/2020 1:36:04 PM   
twinsfan

Wow!! The A's were down 7-3 in the 9th inning, and went on to win the game 8-7. Probably the biggest MLB 9th inning comeback since the Twins came back from down 5 runs a few years back.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12277
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/15/2020 1:36:53 PM   
twinsfan

Cruz 448 foot HR!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12278
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/15/2020 1:41:34 PM   
Mr. Ed

STL has returned, thumping the Cubs.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12279
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/15/2020 2:15:29 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

STL has returned, thumping the Cubs.

Double good.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12280
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/16/2020 4:50:57 PM   
Mr. Ed

Charlie Blackmon/ Rockies

2-3 so far today

Hitting

OBP .484

6 walks
11 strikeouts

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12281
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2020 10:57:43 AM   
Mr. Ed

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29679378/sources-choices-mike-clevinger-zach-plesac-break-protocol-caused-rift-cleveland-indians

During a testy meeting Friday, Cleveland Indians players scolded teammates Mike Clevinger and Zach Plesac for breaking protocol and going out in Chicago, and at least one player said he would opt out of the season if the two remained on the active roster, sources familiar with the meeting told ESPN.

Clevinger and Plesac, two-fifths of the Indians' rotation that has a major-league-best 2.43 ERA, were optioned to Cleveland's alternate site and will spend at least 10 days away from the major league team. While some teammates accepted their apologies and preferred they remain with the Indians, sources said, the anger over their actions was palpable enough to lead to the demotions -- ones that, if they last for a specific period of time, could have significant financial implications.

Indians players' disappointment centered not only on the decision made by Clevinger and Plesac to leave the team hotel in Chicago on Aug. 7 but also their actions afterward. Some players, sources said, believed Clevinger was not truthful with them about his involvement before he boarded the team plane Aug. 9. By then, Plesac, who had been caught trying to return to the hotel early on the morning of Aug. 8, had been sent back to Cleveland. His attempted explanation this week in an Instagram video during which he was driving further bothered teammates, sources said.

In the meeting before their series against the Detroit Tigers, Indians players castigated Clevinger and Plesac for their poor decision-making, sources said.

Clevinger, 29, is one of baseball's most talented pitchers, with a 2.96 ERA in 447⅔ innings over the previous three seasons. The 25-year-old Plesac had been a star in his first three starts this year, posting a 1.29 ERA with a 24-2 strikeout-to-walk ratio.

Despite their production, 39-year-old left-handed reliever Oliver Perez said he would leave the team if Clevinger and Plesac returned to the roster in Detroit, sources familiar with the meeting said. Other players, sources said, felt similarly. Shortstop Francisco Lindor, the four-time All-Star considered the heart of the team, was outspoken as well, sources said.

The most critical issue, sources said, was the breach of trust. While Clevinger and Plesac have tested negative for COVID-19, the potential exposure of the team to the coronavirus -- including pitcher Carlos Carrasco, who was treated for leukemia last year -- frustrated the team.

Indians pitcher Adam Plutko, who joined the rotation after Clevinger and Plesac were put on the restricted list before their demotion, said last week: "They hurt us bad. They lied to us. They sat here, in front of you guys, and said things publicly that they didn't follow through on. It's gonna be up to them. It really is."

Over the weekend, the Indians swept the Tigers and improved to 13-9, one game behind the Minnesota Twins for first place in the American League Central. Their plus-21 run differential is sixth best in the major leagues, and their 2.56 team ERA leads the AL by nearly a full run.

While the absences of Clevinger and Plesac haven't hurt the Indians in the short term, the long-term implications could be substantial -- and severe -- depending on how long they remain demoted. Players can be optioned to the minor leagues for up to 19 days during a season without losing service time. Clevinger entered this season with three years, 41 days of service and Plesac with 125 days.

Service time in 2020 operates on the following formula: 186*X/67. In a typical season, there are 186 days. This season, there are 67. "X" is the number of days spent on an active roster. If Clevinger remains on option for 20 days, the maximum number of rostered days he can get is 47 -- which, under the formula, would equal 130 days of service. That would leave him with 3 years, 171 days -- one day short of reaching four years of service.

By keeping Clevinger down, Cleveland could delay his free agency by a year.

The potential repercussions for Plesac are sizable too. He began the year on option for two days, meaning Cleveland needs to keep him down for 18 more days this season to affect his service. With a full year of service, he would be on track to be a Super 2 -- arbitration eligible four times instead of the standard three -- after the 2021 season. If he finishes 2020 with 130 days of service, Plesac would not reach arbitration until after 2022.

Cleveland needs a starter for its game Saturday against Detroit, though to recall Clevinger or Plesac, it would need to place a pitcher on the injured list. Of the players on Cleveland's active roster, left-hander Logan Allen is the only starter not in the rotation. Cleveland next would need a fifth starter Sept. 1, the day after the trade deadline.

The possibility of Cleveland dealing a starting pitcher prior to the Aug. 31 deadline certainly exists, as president Chris Antonetti and general manager Mike Chernoff have traded from the Indians' starting-pitching surplus twice in the past year and before that were active in conversations about starters. On July 30 last year, Cleveland shipped starter Trevor Bauer to the Cincinnati Reds and received Allen, slugging designated hitter Franmil Reyes, outfielder Yasiel Puig and prospects Scott Moss and Victor Nova. In the offseason, they traded two-time Cy Young winner Corey Kluber to the Texas Rangers for reliever Emmanuel Clase and outfielder Delino DeShields Jr.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12282
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2020 11:10:26 AM   
SoMnFan

The Tigers loss to the Indians on Sunday was their 20th straight to the Tribe
Not sure why, but I found pleasure in that

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12283
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2020 11:12:30 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

The Tigers loss to the Indians on Sunday was their 20th straight to the Tribe
Not sure why, but I found pleasure in that

Does Gardy pee in his pants for Cleveland now since they don't face the yanks or Bah-ston? He must.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12284
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2020 11:13:04 AM   
Mr. Ed

2/5 of your rotation is out

and the guys you plug in keep the team ERA under 3

Depth.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12285
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2020 3:21:50 PM   
Mr. Ed

MLB not ready to open its parks to fans. A league spokesperson says, “Given the state of the virus throughout the country and that most of our clubs do not have authorization from their local jurisdictions allowing for it, we are not able to consider hosting fans at this time.”

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12286
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/17/2020 4:11:14 PM   
Ricky J

I hope they don''t (for selfish reasons). I don't want the fans there then they end up having to halt the season. I want this one to play out to the very end. One of a kind.
Post #: 12287
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/18/2020 6:20:31 AM   
Mr. Ed

Rangers manager Chris Woodward on Fernando Tatis Jr. swinging 3-0 on his grand slam: "I didn't like it personally. You're up by 7 in the 8th inning, it's typically not a good time 3-0. It's kind of the way we were all raised in the game. But ... the norms are being challenged."

Padres manager said he missed the sign

Too bad. IMO more guys should be pounding the 3-0 slop for hits/hr's

but

Those unwritten rules

What if you make an out on 3-0? THE HORROR!!!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12288
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/18/2020 7:30:26 AM   
SoMnFan

That whole "stop scoring" thing drives me nuts
in a 162 game season like these teams normally play, EVERY team will have 15 run blowouts one way or the other
Get over yourselves
Someone grooves me one? I'm swinging from the heels and trying to hit it 700 feet.
If you're a real professional, you aren't even aware if someone's butt-hurt on the other side.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12289
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/18/2020 7:36:12 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

in a 162 game season like these teams normally play, EVERY team will have 15 run blowouts one way or the other
Get over yourselves
Someone grooves me one? I'm swinging from the heels and trying to hit it 700 feet.
If you're a real professional, you aren't even aware if someone's butt-hurt on the other side.

Some of those guys take themselves too seriously.

Manager's pissed?
Be more pissed you're down 7-0

Yeah stick up for your pitchers and all that.

But at some point your guys need to throw strikes too.

Boo-frickin-hoo

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12290
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/18/2020 7:36:53 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

This year especially. Weird year, you need to win. Tough crap if the other team can't pitch.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12291
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/18/2020 8:32:31 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Get over yourselves

Donaldson chirped in on this

I know what he saying, but I’ve never understood this. Why is it the hitters fault that the pitcher fell behind 3-0. As one of my favorite teammates ever David Price would say, “don’t like it, pitch better.”

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12292
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/18/2020 8:34:21 AM   
Mr. Ed

Trevor Bauer from a pitcher's perspective

Hey
@tatis_jr
listen up:

1) Keep swinging 3-0 if you want to, no matter what the game situation is
2) Keep hitting homers, no matter what the situation is
3) Keep bringing energy and flash to baseball and making it fun
4) The only thing you did wrong was apologize. Stop that.

Bauer getting unleashed on social media and such has been a breath of fresh air for MLB.

Can still be a jerk when stirring the pot...but he's much more likable being away from Cleveland.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12293
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/18/2020 8:46:54 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Get over yourselves

I know what he saying, but I’ve never understood this. Why is it the hitters fault that the pitcher fell behind 3-0. As one of my favorite teammates ever David Price would say, “don’t like it, pitch better.”

David Price is one of his favorite teammates?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12294
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/18/2020 8:59:03 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Get over yourselves

"shhhh, he's on a roll ….."

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12295
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/18/2020 9:00:39 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Hey
@tatis_jr
listen up:

Bauer getting unleashed on social media and such has been a breath of fresh air for MLB.

Can still be a jerk when stirring the pot...but he's much more likable being away from Cleveland.

Yep, finding out its usually about how you feel about their team, not them …
Like Joe Kelly
He was the ultimate Red Sock. Hated him there. He's awesome now.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12296
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/18/2020 9:13:51 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Get over yourselves

"shhhh, he's on a roll ….."

Have to wonder if he said that tongue in cheek.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12297
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/18/2020 9:14:36 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

Hey
@tatis_jr
listen up:

Yep, finding out its usually about how you feel about their team, not them …
Like Joe Kelly
He was the ultimate Red Sock. Hated him there. He's awesome now.

William now follows Joe Kelly on instagram because of this. One of his favorite ballplayers for speaking his mind.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12298
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/18/2020 9:15:35 AM   
Mr. Ed

Bauer really is working on the stuffed shirts to loosen up.

May create some more fan interest through some of this. Can't hurt.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12299
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/18/2020 9:17:50 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

Rangers manager Chris Woodward on Fernando Tatis Jr. swinging 3-0 on his grand slam: "I didn't like it personally. You're up by 7 in the 8th inning, it's typically not a good time 3-0. It's kind of the way we were all raised in the game. But ... the norms are being challenged."

Padres manager said he missed the sign

Too bad. IMO more guys should be pounding the 3-0 slop for hits/hr's

but

Those unwritten rules

What if you make an out on 3-0? THE HORROR!!!

Never heard of that unwritten rule. Pitch better, they are pro's.
Post #: 12300
Page:   <<   < prev  490 491 [492] 493 494   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  490 491 [492] 493 494   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode