Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  489 490 [491] 492 493   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/13/2020 9:20:52 AM   
Mr. Ed

If Joe Kelly was a batter, he would have hit that one out of the ballpark, out of the county, out of the state.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12251
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/13/2020 10:10:01 AM   
Mr. Ed

The Indians are slugging .293 this season.

12 teams are slugging better than .293 after falling behind 0-2 in the count

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12252
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/13/2020 11:08:02 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

piranhas!

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12253
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/13/2020 12:28:42 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I like Joe Kelly more every day

Joe Kelly's enduring animus toward Houston Astros players has more to do with how they handled the sign-stealing investigation than the actual cheating itself, the Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher said in his first extensive interview since he sparked a benches-clearing confrontation last month in Houston.
In Kelly's eyes, the Houston players, who received immunity from discipline in return for cooperating with a Major League Baseball investigation, sacrificed their managers, coaches and team executives, who took the hit for the players' transgressions.
Kelly made his comments as a guest on "The Big Swing," a podcast hosted by teammate Ross Stripling.
"The people who took the fall for what happened is nonsense," Kelly said. "Yes, everyone is involved. But the way that [sign-stealing system] was run over there was not from coaching staff. ... They're not the head boss in charge of that thing. It's the players. So now the players get the immunity, and all they do is go snitch like a little b----, and they don't have to get fined, they don't have to lose games."

Kelly was suspended for eight games and fined after throwing a ball near the head of Astros third baseman Alex Bregman and then taunting shortstop Carlos Correa, which prompted the benches to clear during a July 28 game in Houston. Kelly appealed the discipline, but MLB reduced the suspension to five games.
The "Big Swing" episode was taped earlier in August, before MLB heard Kelly's appeal of his suspension.
Kelly was not a member of the Dodgers in 2017, when the Astros beat Los Angeles to win the World Series. But in 2018, Kelly pitched for Boston Red Sox manager Alex Cora, who had been Houston's bench coach. Cora was implicated in the findings of the sign-stealing investigation and was suspended for the 2020 season, along with Houston manager A.J. Hinch, Houston general manager Jeff Luhnow and veteran slugger Carlos Beltran, who had been hired to manage the New York Mets in 2020.
Cora, Hinch, Luhnow and Beltran all lost their jobs following the release of the findings.
"When you take someone's livelihood ... to save your own ass, that's what I don't like," Kelly said. "Cheating? They cheated. Everyone knows they're cheaters. They know they're cheaters. It's over. That's been there, done that. But now they mess it up by ruining other people's lives, so they f---ed it up twice. ... When you taint someone's name to save your own name, this is one of the worst things that you could probably do. ... That really friggin' bugs me. I think I'll be irritated forever."
Kelly spoke of how much he cared about Cora, and how Cora's life has been changed by the fallout. Cora would love to explain what happened, Kelly said, "but he hasn't, because he's a respectable man. So when [the Astros] lie" -- by deflecting blame onto staffers -- "that doesn't sit right with me."
"Maybe they have called [Cora] and said, 'Hey, I'm sorry.' Or called Luhnow and said, 'Hey, I'm sorry.' Or called Hinch, and Beltran. ... If they had said, 'Hey, I'm super-scared, I didn't know what to do, I didn't want to lose money, I had to rat.' ... Grow a pair of balls and say that."
Kelly said he didn't want to talk to the Astros players, "because they're not respectable men to me."
As for his suspension, Kelly said he thought it was "crazy" in the face of what happened on the field. Kelly didn't hit anybody, and wasn't ejected or even warned by plate umpire Alfonso Marquez. "It blows my mind, still," Kelly said. "It's so upsetting."
Kelly said MLB's contention that he incited the Astros to leave their dugout with his actions is "completely bulls---."
"I socially distanced. I walked away. I didn't get close, and I followed all the guidelines of the CDC, and people on the other side [the Astros] didn't," he said. "... They walked out of their dugout, walked toward us. Carlos Correa f---ing spit at our team. I don't know if it was [at] me. He spit out of his mouth. ... This guy walks over to our dugout and then spits, while I follow all the rules, and I get eight games.
"They have a manager [Dusty Baker] on their side, verbatim, yelling at me, 'Get your little skinny ass on the mound.' So my cuss words get eight games, and his cuss words get zero? That makes complete sense, right? Welcome to planet Earth. A debacle."
During his conversation on the podcast with Kelly, Stripling said he works out in the same facility as Houston outfielder George Springer in the offseason, but the two haven't really interacted -- and Stripling hasn't decided how he wants to interact with Astros players who were part of the team that was determined to have cheated.
Stripling said the apologies the Astros gave in spring training -- perceived by many players as insincere -- inflamed the Dodgers' feelings. "It just lit a fire under us all over again," Stripling said. "As a team that got beat by that team, you'll never get over it. You'll absolutely never get over it."
Kelly distinguished between what the Astros were determined to have done in 2017 -- real-time conveyance of signs, pitch to pitch -- and what the Red Sox, Yankees and other teams did in pre- and postgame video studies, which he called "fair game."

"Giving instant feedback on signs is not fair game," Kelly said.
After striking out Correa on July 28, Kelly yelled at Correa, who responded. Then Kelly made what he called a "boo-hoo face" at the Astros shortstop. Kelly told Stripling that when he complains to his wife, she'll make that face at him, to curtail his whining.
"When Carlos was tripping back at me," Kelly said, "the boo-hoo face felt right, because it just sounded like he was complaining. I was like, 'Ohhhh, boo-hoo.' For me, it sounded like a bunch of whining, and I know exactly what my wife feels like.
"It just felt right in the moment. It was spur of the moment; it's not like you game-plan for that kind of thing. ... It was my interpretation of him acting like a child at that point, and I wanted to give him a little child's face."

I like him the same as before. Not at all.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/13/2020 12:32:40 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12254
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/13/2020 1:31:34 PM   
Mr. Ed

OOOF

Friday Cards game looks like it will be postponed. Hear a STL coach tested positive. Saturday not ruled out yet.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12255
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/13/2020 1:32:02 PM   
Mr. Ed

In 2019, there wasn't a single (qualified) player with an OPS south of .600.

The Cleveland Indians AS A TEAM have OPS of .596 so far in 2020.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12256
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/13/2020 2:23:12 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Trevor Bauer
@BauerOutage

MLB: we have a marketing problem.
MLB: owns Mlb network
MLB: lets Mlb network have shows hosted by people who hate baseball and the players.
MLB: see! Marketing!

Who is he referring to here?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12257
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/13/2020 2:23:57 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Trevor Bauer
@BauerOutage

MLB: we have a marketing problem.
MLB: owns Mlb network
MLB: lets Mlb network have shows hosted by people who hate baseball and the players.
MLB: see! Marketing!

Who is he referring to here?

Bert?

Jack Morris?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12258
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/13/2020 2:26:47 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Is Sano still 0-fer in 2-strike counts this season?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12259
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/13/2020 9:41:51 PM   
Mr. Ed

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/13/mlb-zach-plesac-disgusted-with-reports-on-breaking-covid-rules-we-were-safe/

Cleveland pitcher Zach Plesac says he's been wrongfully portrayed as a reckless monster for breaking MLB's COVID rules during a night out in Chicago ... insisting he was being safe the entire time.

"The media's portraying me and my best friend and teammate to be malicious with our actions when we were really ... practicing safe practices," Plesac says.

Here's the deal ... Plesac ADMITS he and teammate Mike Clevinger broke MLB rules by leaving the team hotel and staying out past curfew during a road trip to Chicago.

"I went out to dinner with some buddies. We ended up going back to his place -- the same group that we went to dinner with ... and we opened up baseball cards," Plesac says.

"That entire night, dinner and hanging out at my buddy's place after, we were not with more than 8 people the entire night."

The problem ... obviously ... is that MLB had put strict rules in place to prevent another outbreak after COVID hit the Miami Marlins and the St. Louis Cardinals.

When news broke of Plesac's night out, he was killed in the media -- AND by teammates like Adam Plutko who felt he violated their trust and put the team at risk.

But, in a 6 minute and 30 second IG video, the 25-year-old pitcher argues he followed CDC guidelines that night and doesn't really understand why everyone is making such a big deal about it.

"You can't sit in a room all day," Plesac said.

Plesac says he's been doing research and vows to follow the rules moving forward -- but feels he's been "dragged across the mud."

He's adamant he'd never purposely put his teammates at risk -- citing his brother has diabetes and his mother is a nurse.

"I understand the significance of this illness and this disease and I know how important it is that we must follow certain procedures and guidelines to ensure safety for the entirety of the group."

Ultimately, Plesac says he's dying to get back on the mound and play again -- so he can "start shoving it up people" ASAP.

"Trust me, I'll be ready when they need me."

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12260
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/14/2020 8:00:34 AM   
Mr. Ed

Betts now w/6 3 HR games in his young career.

LAD made the right deal

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12261
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/14/2020 8:02:39 AM   
Mr. Ed

That May guy the Twins were after before "settling" on Maeda is throwing 99mph gas with serious movements for the Dodgers. Nasty stuff. Can see why the Twins wanted to deal for him.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12262
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/14/2020 8:06:00 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

LAD made the right deal

Betts slugged three of the Dodgers’ six home runs and drove in five in an 11-2 rout of the Padres that put the Dodgers back into a tie for first place. Betts joined Sammy Sosa and Johnny Mize as the only players in MLB history with six career three-homer games.

I've gotta say, it says a lot about the state of the baseballs and maybe some other stuff, that Mookie Betts shares this record at such a young age. It's actually laughable that we're supposed to take it seriously.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12263
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/14/2020 8:15:13 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

LAD made the right deal

Betts slugged three of the Dodgers’ six home runs and drove in five in an 11-2 rout of the Padres that put the Dodgers back into a tie for first place. Betts joined Sammy Sosa and Johnny Mize as the only players in MLB history with six career three-homer games.

I've gotta say, it says a lot about the state of the baseballs and maybe some other stuff, that Mookie Betts shares this record at such a young age. It's actually laughable that we're supposed to take it seriously.

If the state of baseballs is part of it, and i get that...then why aren't there more guys tying this record?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12264
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/14/2020 8:23:27 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

LAD made the right deal

If the state of baseballs is part of it, and i get that...then why aren't there more guys tying this record?

My guess is there will be a dozen guys tying this record in the next few years.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12265
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/14/2020 8:31:48 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

LAD made the right deal

My guess is there will be a dozen guys tying this record in the next few years.

Betts did it twice in 2018, when there were 14 occurrences.

Didn't hear much from you on it then

23 times last year, surely something did occur

1 this year(so far)

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12266
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/14/2020 8:36:46 AM   
bstinger

quote:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/13/mlb-zach-plesac-disgusted-with-reports-on-breaking-covid-rules-we-were-safe/

Cleveland pitcher Zach Plesac says he's been wrongfully portrayed as a reckless monster for breaking MLB's COVID rules during a night out in Chicago ... insisting he was being safe the entire time.

"The media's portraying me and my best friend and teammate to be malicious with our actions when we were really ... practicing safe practices," Plesac says.

Here's the deal ... Plesac ADMITS he and teammate Mike Clevinger broke MLB rules by leaving the team hotel and staying out past curfew during a road trip to Chicago.

"I went out to dinner with some buddies. We ended up going back to his place -- the same group that we went to dinner with ... and we opened up baseball cards," Plesac says.

"That entire night, dinner and hanging out at my buddy's place after, we were not with more than 8 people the entire night."

The problem ... obviously ... is that MLB had put strict rules in place to prevent another outbreak after COVID hit the Miami Marlins and the St. Louis Cardinals.

When news broke of Plesac's night out, he was killed in the media -- AND by teammates like Adam Plutko who felt he violated their trust and put the team at risk.

But, in a 6 minute and 30 second IG video, the 25-year-old pitcher argues he followed CDC guidelines that night and doesn't really understand why everyone is making such a big deal about it.

"You can't sit in a room all day," Plesac said.

Plesac says he's been doing research and vows to follow the rules moving forward -- but feels he's been "dragged across the mud."

He's adamant he'd never purposely put his teammates at risk -- citing his brother has diabetes and his mother is a nurse.

"I understand the significance of this illness and this disease and I know how important it is that we must follow certain procedures and guidelines to ensure safety for the entirety of the group."

Ultimately, Plesac says he's dying to get back on the mound and play again -- so he can "start shoving it up people" ASAP.

"Trust me, I'll be ready when they need me."

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 12267
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/14/2020 11:57:48 AM   
Mr. Ed

MLB officially announces the Cardinals will resume play with a doubleheader tomorrow vs. the White Sox in Chicago.

The Cardinals will play three doubleheaders vs. the Cubs, two against the Pirates and one against the Twins to make up their lost games.

Doubleheaders only are 7 innings, so STL will have some advantages in making up games w/shorter ones.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12268
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/14/2020 12:12:38 PM   
Mr. Ed

Love the Twitter comments on this

On this day in 2014, the owners voted 30-0 to elect Rob Manfried to take over as commissioner of MLB

They Include

On this day in 2014, the owners showed they unanimously hate baseball.

Too late for a do-over?

On this day in 2014, the owners voted 30-0 to ruin baseball.

Owners didn’t originally vote him in unanimously. Selig wanted a ceremonial showing of unity, but the actual vote was like 24-6 in favor. Not everyone wanted Manfred, which is fair

biggest mistake in baseball history

"Talk about your all time backfires" -Happy Gilmore

I'm not sure when I will get a better opportunity to say this, so here it goes..."Booooooooooooo"

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12269
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/14/2020 1:20:47 PM   
Mr. Ed

MLB Numbers: monitoring samples collected and tested in the past week was 12,301.
- 4 of 12,301 samples, which is 0.03%, were new positives.
- 2 positives were players and 2 were staff.
- All 4 of these positives were from a single MLB Club; the other 29 Clubs had 0 positives.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12270
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/14/2020 6:38:05 PM   
Mr. Ed

Pretty much like clockwork

Stanton and Judge are now both on the IL.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12271
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/14/2020 10:05:42 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

That May guy the Twins were after before "settling" on Maeda is throwing 99mph gas with serious movements for the Dodgers. Nasty stuff. Can see why the Twins wanted to deal for him.

He's kind of good already and will only get better.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12272
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/14/2020 10:08:26 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

MLB Numbers: monitoring samples collected and tested in the past week was 12,301.
- All 4 of these positives were from a single MLB Club; the other 29 Clubs had 0 positives.

Just as I expected. They are getting it under control.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12273
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/14/2020 10:38:30 PM   
bstinger

quote:

Proves that if people behave the virus won't spread. If we could get the country to behave for 2-3 weeks it would make a hell of a difference. Lack of leadership is making this thing a bigger problem than it should have been. Thankfully our Governor has been more proactive than most.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 12274
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 8/15/2020 9:02:23 AM   
Mr. Ed

Reinstated RHP Mike Clevinger and RHP Zach Plesac from the Restricted List and optioned them to the Alternate Training Site.

Chris Antonetti on Zach Plesac's video: "I'm not sure Zach was able to convey what he intended to convey in the video, after having a chance to speak with him afterwards. If he had a do-over, he may have said things a bit differently."

Terry Francona on Zach Plesac's Instagram video: "I was disappointed."

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12275
Page:   <<   < prev  489 490 [491] 492 493   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  489 490 [491] 492 493   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode