Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/4/2014 6:29:58 PM   
Todd M

Don Hutson the 9th best NFL player of all time?

Come on.

Best pre 50's white receiver? Maybe.

Peter King lost a lot of cred when he was talking about him and his transcendence vs examples of Wilt Chamberlain and maybe MAYBE a Wayne Gretzky.

And King would put him higher than 9!
Post #: 226
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/11/2014 11:32:32 PM   
Todd M

The place where posts go to die.

Just don't feel like putting it anywhere else.

Miami fining and suspending Don Jones for his remarks.

I feel like a hypocrite because I don't like it. I argue for equal rights all the time on here. Everyone should get a fair shake regardless of the color of their skin or their sexual orientation. I just don't see why you have to like seeing open displays of affection between two men.

He said "OMG" and "Horrible."

I say, ok, you don't like but that's your opinion.

And then I think what would it be like if that was someone's reaction to seeing two African Americans (heterosexuals) showing open displays of affection a generation ago. I'd think that was unacceptable.

Then I don't know what to think.

What do you guys think?
Post #: 227
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/12/2014 5:39:45 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

What do you guys think?

Well, when I was a little boy and my dying father bought me a couple of he-man action figures......

Can we just talk about the NFL rather than getting on the couch?

You don't want my opinion on social idiocy, because what I believe and what I have to do to survive are two entirely different things.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 228
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/12/2014 6:15:11 AM   
Todd M

quote:

Well, when I was a little boy and my dying father bought me a couple of he-man action figures......

Can we just talk about the NFL rather than getting on the couch?

lol Dan.
Post #: 229
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/12/2014 8:26:45 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

The place where posts go to die.

Just don't feel like putting it anywhere else.

Miami fining and suspending Don Jones for his remarks.

I feel like a hypocrite because I don't like it. I argue for equal rights all the time on here. Everyone should get a fair shake regardless of the color of their skin or their sexual orientation. I just don't see why you have to like seeing open displays of affection between two men.

He said "OMG" and "Horrible."

I say, ok, you don't like but that's your opinion.

And then I think what would it be like if that was someone's reaction to seeing two African Americans (heterosexuals) showing open displays of affection a generation ago. I'd think that was unacceptable.

Then I don't know what to think.

What do you guys think?

Just as the heterosexual couple has a right to the public display of affection. He has a right to comment about it....doesn't mean we have to agree with it. and quite frankly if you don't want to see it, look a different direction. I don't mind making public displays of affection with my wife (though she's usually mortified by them, which is why I keep trying to do them), but I really don't care to see them in public. I don't want to see a young couple macking out, but knowing that, I don't just sit there and stare at it either. I find something else to look at.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 230
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/12/2014 11:35:02 AM   
Todd M

Scott, are you saying it doesn't matter what kind of couple those words are being attributed to? Gay, straight, interracial ect...

That the person has a right to react to it as they please but should find something better to do?

Personally I have a tolerance for any couple stealing a quick smooch and nearly zero tolerance for any couple making out. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit that watching two guys do anything beyond a quick peck makes me a little uncomfortable.

They're pushing the envelope on TV lately, maybe just soaps, not sure...but I'm not a fan of the man on man love scenes.

But to the point, there were (and probably still are) negative reactions to say interracial love scenes.

I would be mad if someone told me THAT made them uncomfortable...and yet...
Post #: 231
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/12/2014 12:59:34 PM   
Jeff Jesser

To your oginal question Todd, re: Jones.

It's a double whammy IMO.

1. The ammount of good pub on this, no franchise would allow negative remarks. It's not that they agree, they just "don't want to be that franchise right now".

2. It's double magnifide since it came from Miami. They are well known, right or wrongly, for being close minded. No matter what happens they have to tiptoe the line thanks to Incognito.

They can ill afford more negative publicity.
Post #: 232
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/12/2014 2:11:01 PM   
Todd M

Good point about it being Miami, Jeff.
Post #: 233
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/15/2014 5:54:25 AM   
John Childress

Really Oprah?
Does she really think Sam is going to get the Jackie Robinson treatment?
This is a complete waste
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24562733/oprah-winfrey-network-to-produce-michael-sam-documentary

Sam is a fraud. He said that he didn't want the gay questions and just wanted to be a football player then he goes and does this. There is no story here - no onein 2014 is going to be stupid enough to discriminate against him on film

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 234
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/15/2014 5:56:51 AM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Wilson getting divorced, the backup QBs making more than Wilson, losing Golden Tate, losing this man:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24537741/seahawks-lose-key-executive-scot-mccloughan-to-resignation

and some good depth, etc .... a few chinks in the Seahawks' armor, maybe a repeat won't be so easy. I think a repeat is unlikely.

Right now I see it as mostly a 3 way race of teams likely to win next years SB with NE, GB and Denver as the top 3 runners.

Then you have a group just a little ways behind, teams like Seattle, SD, Indy, SF and Carolina, NO, and a few teams that could make big turnarounds like the Giants and Steelers or Ravens.

I'm going with basically 12 teams that have a shot of winning the SB, with 3 of them being stronger contenders than the other 9. Draft might change that slightly. Maybe if the stars aligned for Philly, Detroit, Chicago or St. Louis, but I think you can probably pretty much count out the other 16 teams as having virtually NO chance of winning the SB next year.

Seattle will be stronger this year - assuming Harvin is healthy. They also got another WR in the draft to help the offense.

NE and Denver have no shot

NE has no talent and Denver has the choker at QB

GB is a good pick assuming Rodgers is healthy

Post #: 235
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/15/2014 5:41:00 PM   
SoMnFan

The league and the world, need more Jim Kelly's
That's a man. One tough s.o.b.
Doesn't matter he never won the big one, dudes a winner.
Watch his espn interview today. Wow. Dude fights harder every time he gets beat up.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 236
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/15/2014 7:10:52 PM   
SoMnFan

On the other side of the ledger, if the accusations against Aaron Hernandez are true, the year or two he lived .... All the while playing FB at an extremely high level ....
It's absolutely unbelievable if true.
Not all the monsters are in the movies or on TV shows.
Chilling.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 237
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/16/2014 12:29:30 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

On the other side of the ledger, if the accusations against Aaron Hernandez are true, the year or two he lived .... All the while playing FB at an extremely high level ....
Chilling.

One of the best catch catching FBs we've seen...
Post #: 238
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/16/2014 1:22:44 PM   
John Childress

quote:

The league and the world, need more Jim Kelly's
That's a man. One tough s.o.b.
Doesn't matter he never won the big one, dudes a winner.
Watch his espn interview today. Wow. Dude fights harder every time he gets beat up.

Agreed!

Post #: 239
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/17/2014 8:23:13 AM   
John Childress

OWN csncels Sam reality show

Never made sense

No one is going to attack him like Jackie

Post #: 240
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/17/2014 10:36:47 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Chilling.

Guess I should have spelled out football for ya.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 241
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/17/2014 10:49:37 AM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Chilling.

Guess I should have spelled out football for ya.

I think I heard a Wuh Wah...

"catch catching"

How much catch could a catching catch catch if a catching catch could catch catch.
Post #: 242
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 5/17/2014 10:56:11 AM   
SoMnFan

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 243
Roger Goodell - 5/24/2014 12:36:11 PM   
John Childress

"When does a charge necessarily warrant the penalty? We've seen in so many cases, Roger Goodell be judge and jury when it comes to players," Clark said. "… So here we have Jim Irsay, a guy, an owner, who has history of substance abuse, who's found in a car with over $29K and prescription drugs that weren't in his name, pulled over for driving under the influence, and now we're saying we need more information? What more information do we need than these aren't your prescription pills? You're obviously under the influence. You have $29K. There would be no questions asked if this was a player."

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/5714/focus-shifts-to-goodell-in-dealing-with-irsay

Post #: 244
RE: Roger Goodell - 5/24/2014 1:31:41 PM   
John Childress

Post #: 245
RE: Roger Goodell - 5/28/2014 2:19:36 PM   
John Childress

Word in NYC is the Jets are trying to acquire Andre Johnson

Post #: 246
RE: Roger Goodell - 6/9/2014 9:24:14 PM   
SoMnFan

I'd take this guy and his attitude towards things ... over almost anyone.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady spoke passionately Monday about the statistics that mean the most to him, his remarks coming one week after media-generated buzz that he could be slipping from the ranks of the NFL's elite quarterbacks based in part on analytics.

"I think that people watch the games on TV because there is a scoreboard. I think that's what it is all about," he said. "If there was no scoreboard, then people wouldn't tune in and watch. There's only one stat that matters, and that's because the competition in the NFL is very high, extremely high on a daily basis.

"You can't sit here and compare one year to another year or compare this player to that player. I think winning games is the most important thing, certainly for this organization. When you come here, you learn that pretty quickly. Whatever matters to you as an individual, it's far distant to what the team goals are. And the team goals are one thing -- to score more points than the other team."

Brady's remarks came after an appearance at a community-based event at Gillette Stadium in which owner Robert Kraft presented $200,000 to New England-based nonprofit organizations. Brady wasn't specifically asked about a story posted on ESPN Insider last week that declared he no longer belonged on the Mount Rushmore of NFL quarterbacks, a piece that sparked a flurry of reaction over multiple days on local talk radio and various websites and publications.

But most of his nine-minute interview seemed to be dancing around the topic, and Brady, who turns 37 in August, embraced it.

"Hopefully I'm answering those questions a long time from now too, and you guys can just reprint the stories or whatever you want to write now," he said. "I want to do this for this team for as long as I possibly can. I love playing football for this team and for this organization. My goal is to continue to play at a high level, and there is nothing that really gets in the way of that."

Brady, who has quarterbacked the Patriots to victories in 148 of his 191 career regular-season starts, elaborated on what drives him at this stage of his career.

"I think some individuals compete against other guys and some compete against themselves," he said. "Even if you don't have someone you're competing against, if you're the type of person that competes against yourself, you're always going to get better because there is always competition.

"The guys I've been around that find ways to do that, find ways to motivate themselves, those are the best players. They don't have to wait for a Sunday in September to figure out if they're competitive. You figure that out in March. You figure that out in February, at the end of February when no one else is really working. The competition you have, and what's inside you, and how that is going to really help your team and build your team to be more competitive. That's all infectious."

148 wins in 191 starts.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 247
RE: Roger Goodell - 6/11/2014 6:43:35 AM   
Todd M

quote:

“These diseases, both alcoholism and addiction, much like bipolar or depression and different illnesses, are still not seen as real diseases,” Irsay told Kravitz. “People shy away from seeking help because it’s viewed as being somewhat morally off the path, that they’ve lost their way. I really think the disease aspect gets lost when you’re talking about alcoholism and addiction; it’s not like you’re battling leukemia or a heart problem; it is that. But even in 2014, there’s still this stigma.

“That stigma gets carried forward and it’s unfortunate because people die and families get affected and people don’t seek treatment. It’s an unusual disease in the sense that the person has to diagnose himself. He has to realize that there’s this genetic disease you have to deal with through treatment. My grandfather and father both died of the disease, and you realize you’ve spent a lot of time on this path. Certainly, I have.”

The disease you diagnose yourself and cure by just stopping what you're doing.

Just like no other disease on the planet.
Post #: 248
RE: Roger Goodell - 6/18/2014 11:10:05 AM   
Trekgeekscott

Interesting developement in the Redskins team name brouhaha...

http://tracking.si.com/2014/06/18/washington-redskins-trademark-cancelled/

They can't trademark any of their shit anymore. This could be the tipping point in the fight. You want to send a message to a rich guy. Find a way to cut into his income. Daniel Snyder will lose money because of this now.

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 6/18/2014 11:11:07 AM >

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 249
RE: Roger Goodell - 6/18/2014 11:13:06 AM   
Todd M

< Message edited by Todd M -- 6/21/2014 8:25:36 PM >
Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode