Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/22/2015 6:37:12 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

It's BS to me. He's essentially saying "it's a brutal game and we are taught to be tough. It's understandable guys rape, murder, rob and do drugs. They've been trained to".

And that's not including the popular domestic assault and a bunch of drunk driving.

Even though it's been a down year, I agree with you Jeff.

The only thing that I think is transferable is if these guys were getting into fights with other males. If you had a hothead and you had to shrug and say - that's Johnny for ya...it might might be something you could look past. Anything else...hard to buy the excuse that they do these things because of how they're trained.
Post #: 1276
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/22/2015 7:09:02 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Great points. I knew I forgot a couple DV was the obvious one I missed.
Post #: 1277
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/22/2015 7:13:02 PM   
Jeff Jesser

And, before the other side gets cranked up for the argument, let me add this.

I spent 7 years in the Army. Joined at 16, left home at 17 so I was a young punk ass bitch with no boundaries.

To Todd's other point about young guys fighting other young guys. YUP. All the damn time. We would fight anyone. That being said, the other stuff (outside of DWI's, which is a huge problem in the military) was completely off limits. It wasn't even a worry because it didn't happen.

If my buddy would have swung on a woman (for example) he would have been jumped by 5-10 guys.
Post #: 1278
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/22/2015 10:28:24 PM   
Justin Sampson

I'm not sure he was pointing out specific's but he makes sense.

The way I interpreted it was him saying NFL players are applauded to be violent players. That violence can skew their thinking carrying over to their personal lives. We sit there and cheer them on and give them accolades for going out there for being violent people on the field, then act shocked when some of these guys act out violently away from the field.

I'm not sure he said to give them a free pass.

Kinda like Mike Tyson. Was anyone shocked he acted the way he did outside the ring? He was on top of the world for being one of the most violent feared man on the planet.
Post #: 1279
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/23/2015 5:26:56 AM   
JC2015

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: JC2015

Cam has been a stud for years. 3 straight division titles. Let's not even pretend for one second Cam has not been a stud QB his whole NFL career

If he had any WRs at all he would be right there with Brady and Rodgers

Cam has made me a believer at about mid-season this year.

He has always had great intangibles and a simply freak body. But I did not know if he would take it up a level and hit the film room or just rely on his freakish ability.

It wasn't until about mid-season he really bumped up his comp%. Early in the year he would miss guys badly on slant and crossing routes. He has finally improved on these. Along with his incredible deep ball and running ability.

This improved accuracy has elevated him into elite status.

Cam will never have a top NFL completion %

1. He runs too much. I can tell you after years of watching running QBs all the way from my buddy Randall to Cam, when guys run a lot they will take big hits. When they take big hits their accuracy drops.

2. He throws deep a lot. Most of the guys with high completion % throw a ton of short passes.

3. No great WRs. Ginn drops a ton of balls. Cotchery should be a #4 WR at this stage of his career.

But Cam has 3 straight division titles with a very limited offensive cast. He has been a stud for years - not just this year.
Post #: 1280
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/23/2015 5:28:44 AM   
JC2015

quote:

And, before the other side gets cranked up for the argument, let me add this.

I spent 7 years in the Army. Joined at 16, left home at 17 so I was a young punk ass bitch with no boundaries.

To Todd's other point about young guys fighting other young guys. YUP. All the damn time. We would fight anyone. That being said, the other stuff (outside of DWI's, which is a huge problem in the military) was completely off limits. It wasn't even a worry because it didn't happen.

If my buddy would have swung on a woman (for example) he would have been jumped by 5-10 guys.

It is not BS

YOU spent 7 years serving the nation and came back fine, a great man.

However, many many troops who served are permanently affected by the issue

It is no stretch to think that many young men who play any violent sport will be affected by it outside the lines
Post #: 1281
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/23/2015 8:54:46 AM  1 votes
Jeff Jesser

PTSD is a really bad thing, no doubt about it. What I was trying to say (not well, admittedly) was this:

These athletes (and I won't say today. I'm sure it's been going on forever but it's reported now so we hear of it) are coddled thier whole lives by parents/coaches/teammates/fans. They get a sense of entitlement early and think they are untouchable.

It starts out 'somewhat' innocent (like a simple temper tantrum cheapshot in Pop Warner). Coach says "no big deal he's still a good kid". Parents say "he won't do it again". Nothing happens and kids entitlement grows.

Years and years of this go on. Kid turns out to be a top recruit, guys want to be him and girls want to be with him. All the accolades and praise leak in to his head. Buddies are telling him how great he is and coaches/parents would NEVER do anything to jeopardize him becoming a star and the chance at making big money/stardom.

Suddenly no girl can say no to him and he can take whatever the hell he wants. Who are we to tell him no for the first time in his life at age 18?

Harrington is essentially saying the same thing and "because of this, we can't blame the young man/women. They were trained this way". It's not 100% thier problem. We need to hold the people in thier lives accountable for letting them get this way but THEY still need to be held accountable as well.
Post #: 1282
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/23/2015 2:01:14 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cam has been a stud for years. 3 straight division titles. Let's not even pretend for one second Cam has not been a stud QB his whole NFL career

If he had any WRs at all he would be right there with Brady and Rodgers

Cam has made me a believer at about mid-season this year.

He has always had great intangibles and a simply freak body. But I did not know if he would take it up a level and hit the film room or just rely on his freakish ability.

It wasn't until about mid-season he really bumped up his comp%. Early in the year he would miss guys badly on slant and crossing routes. He has finally improved on these. Along with his incredible deep ball and running ability.

This improved accuracy has elevated him into elite status.

Cam will never have a top NFL completion %

1. He runs too much. I can tell you after years of watching running QBs all the way from my buddy Randall to Cam, when guys run a lot they will take big hits. When they take big hits their accuracy drops.

2. He throws deep a lot. Most of the guys with high completion % throw a ton of short passes.

3. No great WRs. Ginn drops a ton of balls. Cotchery should be a #4 WR at this stage of his career.

But Cam has 3 straight division titles with a very limited offensive cast. He has been a stud for years - not just this year.

Agree on your 3 points.

Other than Olson he has little to work with receiving wise. But after about 6 games his comp% was only at 55%. Since he has been around 65% and has raised his 2015 season comp% to 59. Some of it might be getting in better sinc with his receivers on these crossing routes cuz he's hitting them now vs missing usually behind receiver early on.

What I'm getting at is that he is working on the things he needs to be. Early in his career I questioned whether he would do that.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1283
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/23/2015 2:32:13 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

PTSD is a really bad thing, no doubt about it. What I was trying to say (not well, admittedly) was this:

These athletes (and I won't say today. I'm sure it's been going on forever but it's reported now so we hear of it) are coddled thier whole lives by parents/coaches/teammates/fans. They get a sense of entitlement early and think they are untouchable.

It starts out 'somewhat' innocent (like a simple temper tantrum cheapshot in Pop Warner). Coach says "no big deal he's still a good kid". Parents say "he won't do it again". Nothing happens and kids entitlement grows.

Years and years of this go on. Kid turns out to be a top recruit, guys want to be him and girls want to be with him. All the accolades and praise leak in to his head. Buddies are telling him how great he is and coaches/parents would NEVER do anything to jeopardize him becoming a star and the chance at making big money/stardom.

Suddenly no girl can say no to him and he can take whatever the hell he wants. Who are we to tell him no for the first time in his life at age 18?

Harrington is essentially saying the same thing and "because of this, we can't blame the young man/women. They were trained this way". It's not 100% thier problem. We need to hold the people in thier lives accountable for letting them get this way but THEY still need to be held accountable as well.

It's not just the families either. It's entire communities in many cases. Kids get in to trouble and the law "looks the other way". Coaches defend their behavior and help subvert the trouble in schools, In college they are considered "gods" and they get away with everything. Then they get to the NFL and are supposed to be angels off the field. Their whole lives people have been letting them get away with essentially murder, have people cover for and make excuses for them etc and once they are "professionals" they are just supposed to turn it off. I get what Harrington is saying.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1284
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/23/2015 4:54:34 PM   
Jeff Jesser

If that's what Harrington is saying, my bad and I completely read it wrong. I read it as a simple statement of "we are trained to be animals so we act like animals off the field".
Post #: 1285
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/23/2015 7:54:14 PM   
thebigo

quote:

How's that work?
Post #: 1286
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/23/2015 10:21:13 PM   
Jeff Jesser

That part, I don't know. But, if the people that should be looking out for these young guys/girls aren't, we're pretty screwed right?
Post #: 1287
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/24/2015 1:38:24 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Dan Quinn said Tevin Coleman slipped in shower and is in concussion protocol.

I've almost slipped so many times. I'm amazed at my cat like reflexes to correct myself before going down. A professional athlete should be able to do so.

One time I did take a fall. My wife yells out 'You ok?!?! I'm like - I think so.

She comes in with this product in hand 'Nev R Slip'...or something like that. I'm like - ouch, that's reeeeealy helpful...
Post #: 1288
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/24/2015 2:12:09 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Back in the day... 60's and early 70's..

They used to make these shower/bath mats for a tub that suction-cupped to the floor of the tub that you could stand on...

worked pretty well... until you took one up to clean the tub and saw all the grunge and soap scum that accumulated under them..

The guy who invented the adhesive strips/decal non skid things is probably rich...

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1289
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/29/2015 1:37:09 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

man.. it appears i kicked this thread in the nethers and it's still writhing in pain on the ground..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1290
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/29/2015 2:22:03 PM   
Trekgeekscott

More like there's nothing to talk about.

Unless people want to get into the whole Peyton Manning HGH broohaha

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1291
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/29/2015 3:48:48 PM   
Todd M

I was going to bring up Johnny Football under the microscope potentially losing the starters gig over having a drink with a friend...again.

At least you responded to my post, Dan or else it would have been the one sitting there like a dead duck.
Post #: 1292
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/30/2015 10:29:49 AM   
JC2015

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

Chip Kelly!

Great day in Philadelphia
Post #: 1293
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/30/2015 12:40:46 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Chip Kelly!

It's only great if they hire somebody better.

I know to some that ANYBODY would be better. But then Brad Childress would be available....Connection to Eagles, Head coaching experience...

Post #: 1294
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/30/2015 4:33:16 PM   
Todd M

This guy probably isn't Ian's friend anymore.
Post #: 1295
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/30/2015 4:39:31 PM   
David Levine

He owes Ian royalties....
Post #: 1296
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/31/2015 8:12:30 AM   
Bill Jandro

Kelly's personal moves set the franchise back about 5 years.

What a bone head,

At least ownership saw this and cut their losses early.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1297
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/31/2015 8:43:24 AM   
JC2015

quote:

quote:

quote:

Chip Kelly!

It's only great if they hire somebody better.

I know to some that ANYBODY would be better. But then Brad Childress would be available....Connection to Eagles, Head coaching experience...

It is a great day period.

Once someone proves they are not a leader and will never take you anywhere any change is good.

No matter who comes in, he will have a chance. Chip had zero.

He was a racist dog and not very bright
Post #: 1298
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/31/2015 8:48:22 AM   
JC2015

Asking grown men from the ages of 22 to 35 to perform over 17 weeks the same way growing men from 18 to 22 perform over 13 weeks is ridiculous, Johnson said, and he hoped Kelly would finally figure that out.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20151231_Lane_Johnson_calls_Chip_Kelly_a_dictator.html#Z6OiWGuqKj4R0BiM.99

Lane Johnson calls Chip Kelly a dictator
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20151231_Lane_Johnson_calls_Chip_Kelly_a_dictator.html#Z6OiWGuqKj4R0BiM.99
Post #: 1299
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 12/31/2015 9:07:14 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Kelly's personal moves set the franchise back about 5 years.

What a bone head,

At least ownership saw this and cut their losses early.

Eagles should never have given him that much control. A trio of Jackson, Maclin and McCoy will make most QBs better just by default and then Ertz gets more opportunities.

Kelly wanted to show everyone that he was in charge. And it cost his team dearly.

You can't let a dude's ego run a team.

Post #: 1300
Page:   <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode