Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NCAA Basketball

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: NCAA Basketball Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NCAA Basketball - 9/28/2017 3:33:48 PM   
Corleone

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

So many thoughts

* bout time
* the FBI? Seriously? The country doesn't have more pressing issues?
* this isn't wrist slapping, people ... this is JAIL TIME
* since it's JAIL TIME, expect some of the jailed to make some deals to take down the bigger fish
* can't help but think the one-and-done's have caused a lot of the problem, or should I say the suckers who hang around the one-and-done's
* billions of dollars run thru this operation, and the players (who its supposed to be all about) .... make none of the dollars. (yeah... scholarships, yeah) .... Can't stay that way.

I'm disgusted by it all.

Men, 18 years of age should not be required to indenture themselves for a year or two before they can make a living. Free market. If the Blazers want to draft a High School Senior, why not? They don't need protection.

You want kids to stay in school? Pay them. Not outrageously, but pay them.

Little known fact, your athletic scholarship is on a one year renewal basis. You get hurt, scholarship gone.

These kids aren't going to school to get an education. Stop pretending they are. Stop pretending you care. Stop pretending you are doing them a favor.

Who would have thunk it, college basketball and football is actually way more about the money than the professional leagues.

Nailed.
Post #: 201
RE: NCAA Basketball - 9/28/2017 4:25:25 PM  1 votes
TJSweens

Indentured? As opposed to the kids who aren't athletes and have a mountain of student loans to pay off before they can get ahead? Paying college athletes is beyond ridiculous. I don't mind the idea of easing restrictions on their ability to earn money in school. No effing way do I pay them.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 202
RE: NCAA Basketball - 9/28/2017 9:17:13 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Indentured? As opposed to the kids who aren't athletes and have a mountain of student loans to pay off before they can get ahead? Paying college athletes is beyond ridiculous. I don't mind the idea of easing restrictions on their ability to earn money in school. No effing way do I pay them.

Absolute agreement. They want to get paid play for a professional team. Yes I know the school makes money, but that is irrelevant this is college amateur sports. If the NBA won't take them for a year, they can still play professional other places. If they are going to college it should be about an education.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 9/28/2017 9:19:59 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 203
RE: NCAA Basketball - 9/29/2017 12:47:33 PM   
SoMnFan

Yeah the current system works beautifully.
Post #: 204
RE: NCAA Basketball - 9/29/2017 1:01:58 PM   
TJSweens

The current system sucks, but paying players is not the fix. All that will go is give them an NCAA sanctioned stipend on top of their illegal gifts. The enslaved college basketball players could just as easily go to Europe like Brandon Jennings did. They play college ball because they know it's the best stage to show case their talents for the NBA.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 205
RE: NCAA Basketball - 9/29/2017 10:43:39 PM   
kgdabom

If they ever did open it up to pay college players who could afford to pay more the NBA or the Colleges?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 206
RE: NCAA Basketball - 9/29/2017 11:08:18 PM  1 votes
JT2

quote:

The entire higher education system in this country is completely messed up.
Tuition is approaching health care, in terms of unjustifiable, outrageous cost. In both cases the product isn't even that great, but usually necessary. We've been conditioned, and marketed to so that insurance and student loans seem like a good idea. Cloak the cost. Pay later.

Top tier college coach X gets 5 million dollar per year contract, usually partially guaranteed.
He also gets multiple free high end vehicle leases for his entire family, sometimes the school also pays the insurance. He gets a promise of 5 to 7% annual buyback appreciation on the home he buys. Zero deductible, complete comprehensive health care.

Gravy. You get paid excessively, and have no expenses. No risk. You can suck and you still get paid.

Meanwhile, a player on the team you coach, doesn't even own his own likeness, while others profit from it. Almost forbidden to make a dollar. Subject to lose their overpriced scholarship due to injury or poor performance.

The NCAA BB Tournament alone is a billion dollar enterprise. Who gets all that money? Who and what is the product? Who generates revenue for these institutions?

30+ hours per week practice, travel and game schedule. Academics, studying and a part time job to have a few dollars in your pocket. I failed at that. Good thing I had a fall back, I called mommy.
Post #: 207
RE: NCAA Basketball - 9/30/2017 9:24:52 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Tuition is approaching health care, in terms of unjustifiable, outrageous cost. In both cases the product isn't even that great, but usually necessary. We've been conditioned, and marketed to so that insurance and student loans seem like a good idea. Cloak the cost. Pay later.

Top tier college coach X gets 5 million dollar per year contract, usually partially guaranteed.
He also gets multiple free high end vehicle leases for his entire family, sometimes the school also pays the insurance. He gets a promise of 5 to 7% annual buyback appreciation on the home he buys. Zero deductible, complete comprehensive health care.

Gravy. You get paid excessively, and have no expenses. No risk. You can suck and you still get paid.

Meanwhile, a player on the team you coach, doesn't even own his own likeness, while others profit from it. Almost forbidden to make a dollar. Subject to lose their overpriced scholarship due to injury or poor performance.

The NCAA BB Tournament alone is a billion dollar enterprise. Who gets all that money? Who and what is the product? Who generates revenue for these institutions?

30+ hours per week practice, travel and game schedule. Academics, studying and a part time job to have a few dollars in your pocket. I failed at that. Good thing I had a fall back, I called mommy.

If you want to be a pro basketball player go play professionally. If you want to be student athlete go to college. It's not that complicated.
I played college sports. It took up a lot of my time. I didn't mind that at all. I loved it. I didn't get paid.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 9/30/2017 9:32:21 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 208
RE: NCAA Basketball - 11/12/2017 5:07:28 PM   
twinsfan

I'm calling an upset. Yale over Wisconsin.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 209
RE: NCAA Basketball - 11/12/2017 5:17:32 PM   
twinsfan

DL and JT, let me test your memory. Do you remember the last time I made a bold college hoops upset prediction? I nailed it and I remember you were both impressed with me (for the final time).

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 210
RE: NCAA Basketball - 11/12/2017 5:41:18 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

And now Republicans want to take away the ability to deduct student loan interest for tax purposes. You simply can't make it up.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 211
RE: NCAA Basketball - 11/12/2017 5:47:12 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I'm calling an upset. Yale over Wisconsin.

This prediction is not looking good so far. Badgers up 41-22.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 212
RE: NCAA Basketball - 11/12/2017 6:57:38 PM   
twinsfan

Yale has really fallen off the table this season.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 213
RE: NCAA Basketball - 11/12/2017 7:00:15 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

DL and JT, let me test your memory. Do you remember the last time I made a bold college hoops upset prediction? I nailed it and I remember you were both impressed with me (for the final time).

Several years ago I called Cal to upset #1 and undefeated Arizona.

It happened.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 214
RE: NCAA Basketball - 12/30/2017 8:42:47 PM   
SoMnFan

Butler has just simply built a powerhouse program there.
Very cool.
Post #: 215
RE: NCAA Basketball - 10/13/2021 10:22:46 AM   
Mark Anderson

I'm putting it out there.

NDSU will be in Sweet 16 this year.
Post #: 216
RE: NCAA Basketball - 10/14/2021 3:00:43 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Several years ago I called Cal to upset #1 and undefeated Arizona.

It happened.

Good times.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 217
RE: NCAA Basketball - 10/14/2021 3:01:39 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Don't they have to go DI first?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 218
RE: NCAA Basketball - 10/15/2021 4:05:24 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Don't they have to go DI first?

Come on, man!!!
Post #: 219
RE: NCAA Basketball - 1/27/2023 9:03:08 AM   
twinsfan

A sad day in the world of college basketball. Legendary broadcaster Billy Packer has passed away at the age of 82.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 220
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/10/2023 10:09:48 PM   
Ricky J

I just tuned into check the Grand Canyon & Sam Houston St score in a quarterfinal conf tournament. There are 6 seconds left, Sam Houston is down 2 on the line shooting 2. The stat says they are 20/27 in free throws. I"m thinking, "Wow, that's seems like a lot." so I google average number off free throws per college game:

Since 2000: 3,948,821 shot, 191, 148 games = 20.7

You're welcome, I know you wanted to know that statistic. ;)
Post #: 221
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/11/2023 9:51:23 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

I just tuned into check the Grand Canyon & Sam Houston St score in a quarterfinal conf tournament. There are 6 seconds left, Sam Houston is down 2 on the line shooting 2. The stat says they are 20/27 in free throws. I"m thinking, "Wow, that's seems like a lot." so I google average number off free throws per college game:

Since 2000: 3,948,821 shot, 191, 148 games = 20.7

You're welcome, I know you wanted to know that statistic. ;)

So 10.35 per team.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 222
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: NCAA Basketball Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode