Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NCAA Basketball

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: NCAA Basketball Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NCAA Basketball - 10/24/2008 2:57:24 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: So.Mn.Fan

Thats tough, D
At least my Mom didn't develop symptoms until very late in her life (she's over 75)
She too, is a sad case, due to what she had going for her.
Sharpest tack I've ever known. Wiz at crosswords, puzzles, very artistic, the English language. Avid painter and reader.
It was like living with an English professor. Knows every word and its correct usage, every meaning, etc.
We've tried to keep her going on that and so far so good, she still spends hours each day exercising her mind.
Hang in there. We need to be strong for them. So we will.

Well said, my man.  Hopefully we can take out this disease sooner rather than later.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 126
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/3/2011 10:29:29 AM   
djskillz

On the plus side Duke had a promising win last night (Mason Plumlee was great, IMO).

You watch last night, Pete?

Without Irving, I still think Duke's going to go only as far as the Plumlees take them. They have the talent to take them all the way, but they need to show it more consistently.

What Mason did against a FANTASTIC Jordan Williams last night was a great sign.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 127
RE: NCAA Basketball - 12/29/2013 12:50:57 PM  1 votes
twinsfan

I'm just thinking back on the history of the Dome and some of the events that it hosted. 2 NCAA Final 4's, right? And Duke won both of them? Good reason to tear the place down.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 128
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/11/2014 10:35:17 PM   
Mark Anderson

Congrats NDSU Bison

Dancing again
Post #: 129
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/12/2014 9:35:50 AM   
SoMnFan

Some incredible athletic success in Fargo the last couple years.
High expectations being met.
Great for them.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 130
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/12/2014 6:40:16 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Some incredible athletic success in Fargo the last couple years.
High expectations being met.
Great for them.

It would be nice to pull an upset.

We beat Notre Dame in South Bend and played OK at Ohio State(15-20 point loss).

I'm expecting a 13 or 14 seed.
Post #: 131
RE: NCAA Basketball - 10/30/2014 9:47:51 AM   
djskillz

Pete, Okafor is looking good, dude. Coach got him into much better shape than he's ever been. VERY good sign. Still young with 3 of the very best players being freshmen, but this should be the most well rounded squad for K in a while.

Champions Classic this year should be awesome.

Post #: 132
RE: NCAA Basketball - 11/19/2014 10:29:34 AM   
djskillz

Went to the Champions Classic last night. Awesome event. I've been trying to go for the last 3 years and it finally worked okay for me time-wise. Duke will be very, very good. Okafor is already probably the best player in the country. He's just so effective and efficient down low. Gotta feed him. When Duke went away from him, they got in trouble in the offense. Every time Coach K has a true stud bigman they have their best teams because it opens up the outside for the shooters. I'm a huge, huge Justice Winslow guy too. He's already my favorite player on this year's team. Hell of an athlete but unselfish and loves to play defense. Reminds me a lot of Andre Iguodala. Duke will certainly be in the mix this year for the title.

But I must say Kentucky was impressive as hell. I don't think the talent is unbelievable (don't get me wrong; it's very, very good) but man, the sheer size is crazy. They have 3 legit NBA centers on their squad. I guess there was a stat last night that they're bigger than all but 1 NBA team. They just overwhelm with size. Made Alexander look skinny and small last night. They will be very tough to overcome. Their weaknesses are outside shooting and FT's, though.

I also will say that while I hate Kentucky almost as much as I hate UNC, their fans are easily the best, maybe in all of sports. It's just amazing how they travel. Granted they were a little closer than everyone else for this one, but it's been the same story in the others. You have 3 of the most storied franchises in college basketball with great fan bases in Duke/KU/MSU, and yet the crowd felt like it was 80% Kentucky. Gotta hand it to them.

Post #: 133
RE: NCAA Basketball - 11/19/2014 11:27:08 AM   
SoMnFan

What's your take on Tyus Jones so far?

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 134
RE: NCAA Basketball - 11/19/2014 11:50:28 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Went to the Champions Classic last night. Awesome event. I've been trying to go for the last 3 years and it finally worked okay for me time-wise. Duke will be very, very good. Okafor is already probably the best player in the country. He's just so effective and efficient down low. Gotta feed him. When Duke went away from him, they got in trouble in the offense. Every time Coach K has a true stud bigman they have their best teams because it opens up the outside for the shooters. I'm a huge, huge Justice Winslow guy too. He's already my favorite player on this year's team. Hell of an athlete but unselfish and loves to play defense. Reminds me a lot of Andre Iguodala. Duke will certainly be in the mix this year for the title.

But I must say Kentucky was impressive as hell. I don't think the talent is unbelievable (don't get me wrong; it's very, very good) but man, the sheer size is crazy. They have 3 legit NBA centers on their squad. I guess there was a stat last night that they're bigger than all but 1 NBA team. They just overwhelm with size. Made Alexander look skinny and small last night. They will be very tough to overcome. Their weaknesses are outside shooting and FT's, though.

I also will say that while I hate Kentucky almost as much as I hate UNC, their fans are easily the best, maybe in all of sports. It's just amazing how they travel. Granted they were a little closer than everyone else for this one, but it's been the same story in the others. You have 3 of the most storied franchises in college basketball with great fan bases in Duke/KU/MSU, and yet the crowd felt like it was 80% Kentucky. Gotta hand it to them.

You know me, not a Duke fan, but their inside/outside will be hard to deal with for just about anybody in the country. To be fair, MSU was a little shorthanded, but Duke looked really good. Okafor is a beast, and smooth as hell. I was impressed with how patient Tyus was too. Stayed in control. Added a little muscle. I love Winslow's game too.

Kentucky's size is almost nonsensical. They have a lot of work to do, but man, they like to protect the rim. Early on, I think they will struggle sometimes offensively.

That Kansas team is not good right now. I'm sure they will get better, but right now they are not a good team, and they played even worse than that last night. Perry Ellis did a disappearing act. I expected more out of him.
Post #: 135
RE: NCAA Basketball - 11/19/2014 12:07:05 PM   
djskillz

Good thoughts. Agree on all. I think Kansas will grow as Alexander grows but they really need Selden to step up. Tough to doubt Self at this point though. Man, how fun last night would have been with guys like Embiid, Randle, Parker, and Wiggins added to the mix.

Scott, I haven't been as excited about/enamored with Jones as most. Because he's not a special athlete, etc. But I think the comparisons to a guy like Ennis are pretty apt. He's very, very smooth and cool under pressure. That should pay dividends down the road. I also expect him to be more consistently a good/flowing part of the offense than Cook, which says something when it's a freshman vs. a senior. One thing I was thinking about; if they match up with Kentucky, in the finals or otherwise, they likely have to go with a lineup with Suilamon instead of Jones or Cook. Just too much size given up on defense. I would have liked to see Allen play more last night. He's impressed me a bit so far as well.

Post #: 136
RE: NCAA Basketball - 11/19/2014 12:26:21 PM   
David Levine

Winslow has a ridiculous handle for that young and tall of a kid.
Post #: 137
RE: NCAA Basketball - 11/19/2014 1:07:42 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Winslow has a ridiculous handle for that young and tall of a kid.

Yep. Does everything well.

Post #: 138
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/10/2015 10:37:08 PM   
Mark Anderson

NDSU Bison dancing again.
Post #: 139
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/23/2015 11:12:20 AM   
SoMnFan

And the lizard king Bo Ryan spends his post-game presser bitching about their draw.
Classy, man. Classy.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 140
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/23/2015 11:33:31 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

And the lizard king Bo Ryan spends his post-game presser bitching about their draw.
Classy, man. Classy.

I have never understood that...you should have to beat the best to win the whole thing. Most of the teams are good or else they wouldn't be in it.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 141
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/28/2015 6:14:53 PM   
SoMnFan

C'mon.... 'Zona!

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 142
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/29/2015 2:54:10 PM   
Ed_Marotske

Sconnie!!
Post #: 143
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/29/2015 3:49:13 PM   
thebigo

Every time Michigan st goes into the slow down, they let Louisville back in. Looks like it's over now though.
Post #: 144
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/29/2015 3:54:04 PM   
SoMnFan

Sparty moves on

Two B10 teams in the Final 4
Has become normal thru the years

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 145
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/29/2015 5:12:05 PM   
drew

Tom Izzo is unbelievable. To get that group to a Final 4 is quite an accomplishment, but it's to a point now where it doesn't even surprise people. Pretty impressive how his teams are always peaking in March.
Post #: 146
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/29/2015 5:36:56 PM   
SoMnFan

Well said
Dude gets his guys to compete every year.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 147
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/29/2015 5:38:11 PM   
SoMnFan

C'mon Zags!

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 148
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/29/2015 6:11:00 PM   
thebigo

Classy announcer. "Duke will take the shot clock violation. It will give them a chance to get the scrubs in."
Post #: 149
RE: NCAA Basketball - 4/3/2015 5:59:35 AM   
Mr. Ed

Shaka will go to TX, 2 years after passing on the U.

Shocking

Escape while you can!
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: NCAA Basketball Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode