Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 11:57:00 AM   
Mr. Ed

http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-player-until-i-was-fired-by-two-cowards-an-1493208214?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Escape while you can!
Post #: 26
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 12:20:27 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Have no confidence in Spielman. He mis-handled the whole season, and still got to drive Frazier under the bus.

Meh. I don't anyone is sure how culpable Speilman is in all of this. Everyone wants to blame Ponder on him, but Ponder was drafted the year before he was put in charge of everything and given the final say. The Ponder choice was the consensus pick of the triangle of futility. Frazier was completely on board with the pick and wanted to go into Ponder's rookie season with him as the #1 QB. Speilman and Ziggy decided that due to the lockout, Ponder would not have been ready and forced McNabb on Fraizer. Ponder has pretty much been Frazier's guy ever since.

I also think Frazier was sincere when he said he believed Ponder gave them the best chance to win. Ponder took them to the playoffs the year before and performed well down the stretch. Cassel ranged from good to atrocious in his starts, so there was some validity to Frazier's statement.

The Wilf's created the Freeman fiasco. They mandated his signing and wanted him to start against the Giants so they could tout their shrewd QB signing to all of their New Jersey buddies.

Speilman effed up on handling the Winfield release. That cost our secondary. He also failed to adequately address LB although he had no way of knowing Bishop would wind up going on IR just when they were on the verge of moving him to the middle.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 27
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 12:26:52 PM   
Lynn G.

Interesting Kluwe op ed piece. Based on what he wrote, I am embarrassed for and angry at Mike Priefer, and I agree with Kluwe's intention:

quote:

If there's one thing I hope to achieve from sharing this story, it's to make sure that Mike Priefer never holds a coaching position again in the NFL, and ideally never coaches at any level.
Post #: 28
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 12:27:56 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave E

Heard Dubay mention that the Vikings have never hired a coach with previous NFL HC experience.  Had never noticed that before.

Let's change it up. Whis!!!

Norm Van Brocklyn / you had to be able to drink with him to play for him.
Bud Grant / Hall of famer.
Tes Steckle / Worst coaching hire in NFL history.
Bud Grant II / technically a hire of a HC with previous NFL HC experience.
Jerry Burns / Not bad, but I thought had a bit too much of a good old boy network attitude.
Denny Green / Narcissistic asshole who non the less won games. Made the mistake of giving him too much power.
Mike Tice / Over his head, but nopt as bad as Steckle.
Brad Childress / Author of the "Kick-Ass Offense". Actually he just stole it from Andy Reed and made it worse.
Leslie Frazier / The anti Denny. Integrity, classy, all around nice guy who lost a lot of games.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 1/2/2014 12:29:02 PM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 29
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 12:28:02 PM   
Todd M

quote:

http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-player-until-i-was-fired-by-two-cowards-an-1493208214?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Thanks for posting this.
Post #: 30
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 12:32:51 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Interesting Kluwe op ed piece. Based on what he wrote, I am embarrassed for and angry at Mike Priefer, and I agree with Kluwe's intention:

quote:

If there's one thing I hope to achieve from sharing this story, it's to make sure that Mike Priefer never holds a coaching position again in the NFL, and ideally never coaches at any level.

And people were promoting this puke as our next head coach.

I said no thanks before I read all that. Wow.
Post #: 31
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 12:56:12 PM   
Dave E

Wow.  If half of what he says about Priefer is true -- and I don't know what incentive Kluwe would have to lie -- he should be fired immediately.  Whatever your view of the legality of gay marriage is, that is unacceptable behavior from a manager at any level at any job (and could subject a company to liability as well).  Crazy.

Frankly, I think Spielman might have cut Kluwe from the team regardless, but that's another matter.

< Message edited by Dave E -- 1/2/2014 12:59:03 PM >

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 32
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 1:02:49 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Wow.  If half of what he says about Priefer is true -- and I don't know what incentive Kluwe would have to lie -- he should be fired immediately.  Whatever your view of the legality of gay marriage is, that is unacceptable behavior from a manager at any level at any job (and could subject a company to liability as well).  Crazy.

Frankly, I think Spielman might have cut Kluwe from the team regardless, but that's another matter.

I've heard too many people with similar views as Priefer's (if true) to doubt it much at all.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 33
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 1:06:26 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

I've heard too many people with similar views as Priefer's (if true) to doubt it much at all.

Where I live ... the dipstick would get elected to ANY office or job, IN A LANDSLIDE ... because of his bigoted opinion. And they'd cloak his bigotry with some usual "he speaks his mind" drivel.  

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 34
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 1:09:12 PM   
TJSweens

Kluwe did have an exaggerated concept of his worth as a punter, but I do remember the comments from Priefer about being tired of hearing about it and that it didn't do any good to talk to him about it because he wouldn't listen. I still maintain that Locke was a complete waste of a draft pick. We replaced a middle of the pack punter with one that finished 29th in net punting yards.

Post #: 35
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 1:21:46 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Yeeeck.

If Preifer really did everything Kluwe is claiming, (and there are meetings with some players that could possibly back his story up)  then I no only don't want him anywhere near the HC position, I want him gone now.

If Wilf has any nuts and Speilman isn't the coward Kluwe claims him to be, they let that guy go post haste.  This is going to give this team a lot more negative attention than anything since the Love Boat and Whizzenator years.

I believe Wilf wanted to clean up that behavior. 

Damn

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 36
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 1:28:23 PM   
Dave E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Yeeeck.

If Preifer really did everything Kluwe is claiming, (and there are meetings with some players that could possibly back his story up)  then I no only don't want him anywhere near the HC position, I want him gone now.

If Wilf has any nuts and Speilman isn't the coward Kluwe claims him to be, they let that guy go post haste.  This is going to give this team a lot more negative attention than anything since the Love Boat and Whizzenator years.

I believe Wilf wanted to clean up that behavior. 

Damn

For all of Wilf's faults, I would not be surprised if he comes down pretty hard on this.  We'll see.

--twinsfan
Post #: 37
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 1:30:31 PM   
Dave E

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

Where I live ... the dipstick would get elected to ANY office or job, IN A LANDSLIDE ... because of his bigoted opinion. And they'd cloak his bigotry with some usual "he speaks his mind" drivel.  

FIRST AMENDMENT, I CAN SAY WHAT I WANT!!!

Yes, you do have the right to make a jackass of yourself.  You do not have the right to not get called out for being a giant jackass, however.  Amazing how many people don't get that concept after they say something idiotic and are called to the carpet for it.

--twinsfan
Post #: 38
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 1:36:10 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, you do have the right to make a jackass of yourself.  You do not have the right to not get called out for being a giant jackass, however.  Amazing how many people don't get that concept after they say something idiotic and are called to the carpet for it.

You, as a lawyer, know this, but the First Amendment protects the rights to people to say what they want (there are limitations to this but still) and NOT FEAR PERSECUTION or PROSECUTION FOR IT FROM THE GOVERNMENT.

It does not protect anyone from saying what they believe and then getting criticized hard by another group for saying it.

It does not protect someone from being fired for saying what they believe.  BUSINESSES don't violate your first amendment rights, because the amendment wasn't meant to protect you from the business.  It's meant to protect you from the government.

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 1/2/2014 1:38:21 PM >

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 39
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 1:38:53 PM   
Mr. Ed

Ben Goessling ‏@GoesslingESPN
Police also found a small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia during Henderson's arrest.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 40
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 1:39:56 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Ben Goessling ‏@GoesslingESPN
Police also found a small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia during Henderson's arrest.

FEATHER .......... ME ..................... KNOCKED OVER................. NOT!

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 41
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 1:47:47 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Same here.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 42
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 3:16:30 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Same here.

Here as well, once I moved out of Portland proper onto some acreage in the country.

JR Rider said it best,

"We can go 40 miles down the road, and they're probably still hanging people from trees."

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 43
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 3:37:35 PM   
Mr. Ed

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Willing-to-back-up-Foles-Vick-expects-to-start-somewhere-in-2014.html

Escape while you can!
Post #: 44
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 3:38:21 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You, as a lawyer, know this, but the First Amendment protects the rights to people to say what they want (there are limitations to this but still) and NOT FEAR PERSECUTION or PROSECUTION FOR IT FROM THE GOVERNMENT.

It does not protect anyone from saying what they believe and then getting criticized hard by another group for saying it.

It does not protect someone from being fired for saying what they believe.  BUSINESSES don't violate your first amendment rights, because the amendment wasn't meant to protect you from the business.  It's meant to protect you from the government.

Amen, I thought the same thing with the whole Duck Dynasty fiasco. Dude had a right to say what he did, but A&E had a right not to like it and remove him from the show. Unfortunately, enough people like the show and made a stink about, so A&E caved in.
Post #: 45
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 3:43:42 PM   
Dave E

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy
Here as well, once I moved out of Portland proper onto some acreage in the country.

JR Rider said it best,

"We can go 40 miles down the road, and they're probably still hanging people from trees."

Ha!  Never heard that Rider quote -- that's a gem.

--twinsfan
Post #: 46
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 3:44:45 PM   
Dave E

quote:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Willing-to-back-up-Foles-Vick-expects-to-start-somewhere-in-2014.html

Your bets on whether any of Ponder/Cassell/Freeman are Vikings next year?

--twinsfan
Post #: 47
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 3:45:25 PM   
sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Same here.

JR Rider said it best,

Minnesota and Wisconsin have more in common than you guys want to admit. 

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 48
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 3:51:15 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Your bets on whether any of Ponder/Cassell/Freeman are Vikings next year?

Freeman. They threw him out there for one game to diminish his value to zero. Told him he's their guy next year and they will pay him handsomely to be their starter. All he has to do is sit tight and be patient. If we draft a QB, it will be late (6th or 7th round) and he will be the 3rd QB. We'll sign a different and worse veteran backup than Cassel because we don't want a QB controversy right off the bat. Our offensive coordinator or QB coach will have ties to Freeman's good years in the NFL or Kansas State.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 49
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/2/2014 3:53:58 PM   
Dave E

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi
Minnesota and Wisconsin have more in common than you guys want to admit. 

Never had a playoff game blacked out here in MN. 

--twinsfan
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode