Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 8:37:01 AM   
TJSweens

I can honestly say that I have no idea who the right guy is. Great coordinators quite often do not make good head coaches. Although sometimes they do. A guy who failed in a previous stint as head coach, sometimes learns from the experience and does well with a new job. Usually though they are too set in their ways to adapt and change. Sometimes the rising young star among coaches gets a head coaching gig and wins big. Sometimes the rising young star among coaches proves out the peter principle. In the pool of coaches that the Vikings are interviewing, there are probably one or two who could probably be "the guy". There are several who we will wind up promoting one of his coordinators to finish out his 3rd year. Is it Zimmer? I don't know. But with only one other team needing a head coach at this point there is no sense in rushing to hire Zimmer without giving second interviews to a couple of other people.

I don't know who the right guy is out of this bunch. I just hope that for once the Vikings actually pick him, whoever he is. I don't want the new coaches successor to be one of his coordinators who will work for cheap while we pay off the rest of his salary.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 101
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 8:55:43 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave E

I'm getting less and less pumped about Zimmer as time goes on.

Kinda feels like we are stuck with the one that's left ....... Nothing new

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 102
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 9:05:11 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

I disagree. There are several interesting candidates at this point and only 2 teams trying to hire a head coach. The Vikings are in position to hire a good coach. Whether they actually pick the right guy remains to be seen.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 103
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 9:08:00 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

I disagree. There are several interesting candidates at this point and only 2 teams trying to hire a head coach. The Vikings are in position to hire a good coach. Whether they actually pick the right guy remains to be seen.

Are you disagreeing just because you realized you haven't disagreed for a few days?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 104
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 9:31:26 AM   
Jim Frenette

The other name we hear about is Broyles the DC of the Chargers. Since the top 2 are defensive minded, does that mean the Vikings are more concerned with that side of the ball? I guess that Ponder keeps his job

Fargo
Post #: 105
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 9:36:11 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Are you disagreeing just because you realized you haven't disagreed for a few days?

Don't make me go Jeff Allen on your ass.

Post #: 106
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 9:38:49 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

The other name we hear about is Broyles the DC of the Chargers. Since the top 2 are defensive minded, does that mean the Vikings are more concerned with that side of the ball? I guess that Ponder keeps his job

I think you are projecting a little too much Jim. Having experience as a defensive coordinator does not preclude one from seeing that Ponder sucks. If the hire is Zimmer, I have already heard that Lenihan would come back here as his OC. Besides, Ponder will likely be Speilman's problem to deal with. Not the new coach's.

Post #: 107
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 9:51:30 AM   
Trekgeekscott

Chris Mortensen ✔ @mortreport
Follow
Mike Zimmer and Vikings are moving toward a deal, hoping to complete negotiations by today, per league sources.
9:40 AM - 15 Jan 2014

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 108
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 9:52:26 AM   
Dave E

I wouldn't mind having Linnehan back. He worked miracles with Pep, and I like power running/throw it deep offenses.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 109
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 10:01:17 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I don't know jack about Zimmer either but I'm glad they are at least (finally) about to try to address the D. Once again, the Seahawks (and to a lesser degree the Niners) are proving that if you have a dominant D and a strong run game, you can be succesful. Yes, their QB sitations are decent too, but that's not the bulk of their teams.

We have AD. I think we should try to build a dominant D and suppliment that with a QB who doens't piss the game away. He doesn't need to be Manning. IMO opinion our offensive weapons are strong enough. Devote the next 2 seasons building a championship level D and getting the QB situation stabalized.

Again, Zimmer may not be the guy but his history shows he can get the D in order. I'm confilicted on Linehan. I hated him when he was here before but he's light years better than Musgrave Salley.
Post #: 110
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 10:19:47 AM   
TJSweens

I think Lenihan was much better than the kick ass coordinators that followed him. He showed that when he had some studs he could craft an explosive offense. We have some pieces now with AD, Jennings, Patterson and Rudolph. If we can get a QB who doesn't drop back 3 steps and wet his pants, Lenihan could craft a pretty good offense.

Post #: 111
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 10:21:56 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I tend to agree. My only real problem with him was he would get ultra fancy inside the 5 and it would bite us in the ass damn near everytime.
Post #: 112
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 10:28:36 AM   
TJSweens

It's official. Zimmer named coach.

Post #: 113
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 10:38:52 AM   
TJSweens

Now I am hearing Norv Turner as OC.

Post #: 114
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 10:43:37 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Now I am hearing Norv Turner as OC.

That would be outstanding.

Great OC. Horrible HC.
Post #: 115
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 10:48:33 AM   
TJSweens

How do you know he is a horrible HC?

Post #: 116
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 10:50:11 AM   
Dave E

I'm actually starting to warm up to Zimmer. Chris Long was on 1500 saying that the Cinci writers all say his guys LOVE him. That, to me, is the key: is he a hard ass that turns guys off, or a hard ass that people buy into? If the latter, you can succeed.

Certainly would have no problem with Norv Turner as OC, either. He's worked for just about every other football team at this point, it seems, why not us?

--twinsfan
Post #: 117
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 10:56:31 AM   
SoMnFan

I hate basing love or hate on a reality show, but loved what I saw of Zimmer on Hard Knocks
It's like Dave says ... Known for being tough, but they loved him.
Most interesting was when he had to cut guys or demote them ... Not one guy had anything bad to say afterwards about him
A couple of his stars on that D seemed like they would have done anything for him.
Lots of talk about father figure and doing things right .... Tough to go wrong with that approach, IMO.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 118
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 10:58:18 AM   
David Levine

quote:

How do you know he is a horrible HC?

Because he's been awful at it everywhere he's gone. He needs to stay a coordinator.
Post #: 119
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 11:00:34 AM   
TJSweens

When was his last head coaching gig? Hasn't he been a coordinator for something like the last 20 years?

Post #: 120
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 11:01:48 AM   
Dave E

quote:

When was his last head coaching gig? Hasn't he been a coordinator for something like the last 20 years?

San Diego, until last year.

--twinsfan
Post #: 121
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 11:02:11 AM   
SoMnFan

Hehe
Sweens
Hehe

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 122
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 11:03:01 AM   
David Levine

quote:

San Diego: 2007-2012
Oakland: 2004-2005
Washington: 1994-2000
Post #: 123
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 11:03:26 AM   
SoMnFan

Now, go get Manziel

Yep, I said it.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 124
RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans - 1/15/2014 11:04:28 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Now, go get Manziel

Yep, I said it.

I'd be OK taking him at 8, but I wouldn't pay the price to trade up.
Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Vikes talk for Twins fans Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode