Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other NFL News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other NFL News - 5/20/2023 8:34:45 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Lions WR Jameson Williams suspended 6 games for violating gambling policy.

That sucks for him and the lions. Our trade during the draft looks better.

Only if we would have taken HIM with that pick. I am guessing we wouldn't have.

Sabotaged the lions though

Maybe theyll be all right:

Odds for North Div winner:
Lions -110
Vikings +250
Bears +300
Paackers +350

I'm definitely going to place a bet on the Vikings winning the Division again.

It's a lock! Bet the house.
Post #: 2676
RE: Other NFL News - 7/20/2023 4:00:38 PM   
David Levine

Adam Schefter:

Dan Snyder led a group that purchased the Washington franchise in 1999 for $800 million. Twenty-four years later, he sells the team for $6.05 billion — which comes out to nearly a 700% return on his initial investment.

The $6.05 billion sale price of the Washington Commanders sets a new record for a North American sports franchise.

In Dan Snyder’s 24 seasons as owner, Washington had six playoff appearances, two playoff wins, no NFC Championship Game appearances, 10 different head coaches, 27 different starting quarterbacks, and a .427 winning percentage, which ranked 27th in the NFL.
Post #: 2677
RE: Other NFL News - 7/20/2023 5:53:56 PM   
David F.

But everyone else keep pulling on your boot straps - am I right?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 2678
RE: Other NFL News - 7/20/2023 7:50:29 PM   
Bill Johanesen

$6+ billion purchase... that was full of competition.

Denver's $4.65 billion sale looking like a deal!
Post #: 2679
RE: Other NFL News - 7/30/2023 11:43:04 AM   
Ricky J

-- a Strib article from Scoggins for some of you who may not be able to see due to reading your quota for the month while keeping it off the main thread:

How does Harrison Smith feel to still be here as a 34-year-old Viking? 'Fantastic'

Harrison Smith didn't want to use the word "excited" to describe his mood on the first day of his 12th NFL training camp. Too cliché, he said. All players and coaches say that.

"Whatever a synonym for 'excited' is," he said, "I'm that for what we could potentially have going here."

Here. Minnesota. Quarterbacking the Vikings defense.

Deep down, Smith knew he really didn't want to play anywhere else when presented with that option this offseason, even if staying with the team that drafted him required accepting a pay cut.

He looked and considered a few select teams. Nothing too serious, he said. He tried to take emotion out of his deliberations, as best he could, and not consider how rare it is for any long-tenured veteran to play for one team for an entire career.

"It didn't make sense to me to go somewhere," he said. "I'd rather just stop."

He chuckled. He presumably meant stop playing, but he's not ready for the finish line just yet. If anything, the six-time Pro Bowl safety looks and sounds invigorated at age 34.

Though he was complimentary of former defensive coordinator Ed Donatell, Smith acknowledged that his style of play wasn't an ideal fit for Donatell's scheme. The way that Donatell used Smith in his one season certainly was head-scratching.

Smith blitzed only 14 times, the second-lowest total in his career, according to Pro Football Focus. Smith never blitzed fewer than 35 times in a season under Mike Zimmer.

Enter new coordinator Brian Flores, who is known for being creative and aggressive. Those traits align with Smith's strengths. The opportunity to play for Flores was a "big part" of his decision to return.

"[Donatell's] scheme is very popular around the league, but it's probably not my style in general, where Flo's probably more is," Smith said. "And not exactly in the way that maybe you saw with Zim. It's fun to learn different ways to do things."

Smith's motivation is singular in nature at this stage of his career. He's already secured his place in Vikings history and done enough to put himself in Hall of Fame discussion once he retires. He's achieved wealth and status as one of the NFL's top safeties over the past decade.

NFL media often fill summer lulls by creating player rankings by position. Smith admitted that those lists and being recognized among peers mattered to him on some level as a young player. He never obsessed over them, but he paid attention.

His perspective has changed.

"It's pretty corny to say, but I've learned as I've gotten older how fun true competition is," he said. "You obviously want to make as much money as you can, and it's cool when people recognize you [as a star player]. I don't take that stuff for granted at all. But it's kind of …"

He paused for a second.

"Is the money I make this year or the recognition I get, is that really going to change my life? Probably not," he said. "But when I'm done playing, I can't go back and just play again. I get to play right now. That is what I cherish the most."

And don't even consider asking about how he feels physically. He joked that the question is an annual rite of training camp the older he gets.

He refuses to bow to Father Time. Smith gets to spend time with friends back home in the offseason. If someone in the group happens to complain about a sore back or talks of no longer being able to do the same things physically, Smith will walk away.

"I don't want to hear that," he said. "I don't even want it in my mind. I'm fantastic."

He's kept his same training routine and still "dabbles" on vacation in activities that he's always enjoyed, including snowboarding, because he believes that "pushes off the idea of aging."

The prospect of playing in Flores' scheme reveals youthful exuberance in Smith's voice. That excitement — or whatever synonym for "excitement" you choose — stems from his own fresh start and also new opportunities for his teammates.

"I think we have some pieces that maybe people don't realize we have that will be used well in this scheme," he said.

Being the longest-tenured player in the locker room means Smith has witnessed a lot of change. He survived a veteran roster purge this offseason that included longtime teammates Adam Thielen and Eric Kendricks. He misses them, but he also understands that change is life in the NFL.

Smith stayed put, and he's happy he did so.

"At the end of the day, you're all just guys from some small hometown that made it here and created friendships," he said. "It's stuff you never think would happen. I definitely cherish those relationships. Now you build new ones and enjoy the time I have with some young guys I don't even really know yet that I'll get to know this season. Some coaches I'll get to know. Maybe it'll be some of the best relationships I've had."

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 7/30/2023 2:15:56 PM >
Post #: 2680
RE: Other NFL News - 8/3/2023 9:51:14 AM   
Ricky J

Same:

Chip Scoggins, Startribune

Kirk Cousins is at peace at Vikings camp, letting his inner goofball out
Kirk Cousins' contract situation hasn't caused him to retreat into a quiet shell. In fact, it's been the opposite despite all the uncertainty surrounding his future.

Kirk Cousins felt like he needed to change things up. Do something to break the monotony of training camp, maybe get a laugh.

He wore No. 66 at practice Tuesday. The red jersey was big and baggy and a terrible fashion statement.

"I had not looked at myself in the mirror until post-practice," Cousins said a day later. "That was more egregious than I even realized."

The Vikings veteran quarterback said he tries to do things that make teammates laugh "maybe to a fault sometimes." He admitted that he tells his backup Nick Mullens to use a figurative vaudeville hook, if needed.

"Like hey, if I'm being too much of a goofball, just let me know," Cousins said.

Too much of a goofball? Kirk Cousins?

His demeanor the first week of training camp has been outwardly unburdened. He cracked jokes with reporters on reporting day. Two days later, he delivered a half-hour speech to teammates that left players and coaches gushing about his message.

Cousins looks, sounds and acts like a quarterback who is completely at peace, which is interesting and perhaps ironic because the veteran's situation is uncertain beyond this season.

Cousins is guaranteed 17 more NFL games. After that, who knows?

He will be a 35-year-old free agent quarterback, assuming nothing changes in his contract status before then. Cousins and the Vikings were unable to find agreement in negotiations this past offseason, leaving his future in limbo.

If that uncertainty holds any space in his mind, Cousins isn't showing it. His reaction to the contract stalemate has basically made it a non-story in camp. No one expected Cousins to turn it into a distraction, but the situation also hasn't caused him to retreat into a quiet shell. In fact, just the opposite.

He seems more willing and more comfortable in allowing teammates, media and fans to see more of his personality. The goofball side included.

"When you're at peace and have a quiet mind," Cousins said, "it's coming from a place of, you're confident in your abilities, you're confident in the plan, you're confident that you can execute when you get thrown a curveball. I don't think you ever feel like you're 'there.' But I'd like to think the longer you're with a system, the longer you're in a city, the longer you're with teammates and the longer you are playing in this league, your command and confidence will grow every year."

Plus, he's accustomed to uncertainty, this being the fourth time in his career that he has played a season without another season guaranteed on his contract. He's bet on himself before and then landed another deal.

His peace of mind also reflects a realization that he begins the season in a good place.

The Vikings finished top-10 in scoring and total offense last season, and that should be a baseline expectation again in Year 2 of Kevin O'Connell's system.

Cousins will be throwing to the NFL's best wide receiver (Justin Jefferson), an excellent tight end (T.J. Hockenson) and a rookie first-round pick who has impressed early in camp (Jordan Addison).

Having more mastery of O'Connell's system should allow Cousins to maximize his receiving options and the entire offense.

Vikings general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah noted at the start of camp that he has different scenarios in mind to cover each contingency in the looming decision at that position. The same applies to Cousins' side too.

If he doesn't re-sign with the Vikings, he knows he will be auditioning for the rest of the league this season. Perhaps that was part of his calculus when agreeing to be filmed for the recently released Netflix documentary "Quarterback."

The documentary provides a peek behind the curtain at Cousins' intense preparation, his toughness in dealing with physical punishment, and his family life. That insight will be beneficial if he's looking for a new team this offseason.

An NFL quarterback entering the final season of his contract after unresolved negotiations attracts big headlines. Cousins appears oblivious to any tension that could accompany that scenario. He says he feels at peace and everything about his demeanor suggests he's telling the truth.

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 9/13/2023 12:46:27 PM >
Post #: 2681
RE: Other NFL News - 8/9/2023 1:05:02 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Fn Breeland in the news again for multiple crimes..

Zimms golden boy CB is a real winner.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 2682
RE: Other NFL News - 9/24/2023 4:35:09 PM   
Mark Anderson

Nice to see a team hang 70 on the rat Payton's team.
Post #: 2683
RE: Other NFL News - 9/25/2023 8:06:59 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Nice to see a team hang 70 on the rat Payton's team.

I enjoyed that as well.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2684
RE: Other NFL News - 9/25/2023 10:19:16 AM   
Bill Johanesen

"When you're at peace and have a quiet mind," Cousins said, "it's coming from a place of, you're confident in your abilities, you're confident in the plan, you're confident that you can execute when you get thrown a curveball. I don't think you ever feel like you're 'there.' But I'd like to think the longer you're with a system, the longer you're in a city, the longer you're with teammates and the longer you are playing in this league, your command and confidence will grow every year."

Cue Jim Mora. Curveball? Curveball?? Are you kidding me... curveball? We can't even handle a slow fastball! Curveball.
Post #: 2685
RE: Other NFL News - 9/25/2023 10:30:01 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Cue Jim Mora. Curveball? Curveball?? Are you kidding me... curveball? We can't even handle a slow fastball! Curveball.

LOL

One would think that a QB, with 12 years in the league, would have a ****ing clue how to run a two minute drill.

Kirk's good, but this is atop the list of reasons he's not great.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2686
RE: Other NFL News - 9/25/2023 1:21:18 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

LOL

One would think that a QB, with 12 years in the league, would have a ****ing clue how to run a two minute drill.

Kirk's good, but this is atop the list of reasons he's not great.

Pop Warner QBs would have known to spike it.
Post #: 2687
RE: Other NFL News - 11/2/2023 1:53:05 AM   
marty

I don't understand the Bears trading for Montez Sweat.

It's puzzling if they're drafting Caleb Williams, why would you get Sweat right now ?

Are the Bears thinking they're stable with Fields, and are just putting the pieces around him ? Does this mean they're likely trading the Carolina pick, to accumulate loads of talent at other positions?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2688
RE: Other NFL News - 11/2/2023 10:47:54 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

It's puzzling if they're drafting Caleb Williams, why would you get Sweat right now ?

Are the Bears thinking they're stable with Fields, and are just putting the pieces around him ? Does this mean they're likely trading the Carolina pick, to accumulate loads of talent at other positions?

They have loads of picks and want to make sure they got him. He could have got traded somewhere else or went somewhere else as a FA.

They will overpay him and continue to be the Bears.
Post #: 2689
RE: Other NFL News - 11/2/2023 10:50:44 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Odds are they will pick a qb and use the other pick to accumulate a ton more picks. Dumb part is their 2nd is so high it is almost like a 1st.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2690
RE: Other NFL News - 11/5/2023 8:26:36 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Odds are they will pick a qb and use the other pick to accumulate a ton more picks. Dumb part is their 2nd is so high it is almost like a 1st.

They did get an ext done I read. He's a good player but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Poles has made a ton of mistakes.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2691
RE: Other NFL News - 11/23/2023 5:10:59 PM  1 votes
marty

With their awful QB with no talent, the Packers beat the Lions 29-22 today.

Hopefully Flores can keep Love looking like Josh Freeman every time we play the Puke.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2692
RE: Other NFL News - 11/23/2023 5:29:37 PM   
Ricky J

The Lions are overrated
Post #: 2693
RE: Other NFL News - 11/23/2023 6:46:15 PM  1 votes
marty

Love could pass for 500 yards with 5 TDs, and some would still call him untalented, probably just because I called him talented and inexperienced early in the season.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2694
RE: Other NFL News - 11/26/2023 6:49:07 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Agree, and Goff gifted that game to GB and their shit QB.

Meanwhile...

Eagles kick a 59 yard FG to tie the Bills while overcoming TWO Kelce penalties on the drive.

Hate the Kelse idiots, especially the KC one who even during on the field SB interviews with Mahomes would jump in and take over the interview. Attention hog.

Kittle is another one. Actually the networks are the issue as they focus on every attention-getting piece of acting.

Diggs too in this game.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 11/27/2023 9:15:14 AM >
Post #: 2695
RE: Other NFL News - 11/26/2023 6:54:13 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Bills are gonna beat philthy in philthy…

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 2696
RE: Other NFL News - 11/26/2023 7:05:15 PM  1 votes
Daniel Lee Young

Or not…

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 2697
RE: Other NFL News - 11/26/2023 7:11:45 PM  1 votes
Bill Johanesen

Oh well.
Post #: 2698
RE: Other NFL News - 12/3/2023 10:37:43 PM   
marty

I would like to apologize to Bill and others, I was wrong about Jordan Love.

Love is not a "talented and inexperienced" QB. He is now experienced, and he has no talent.

It wasn't just the Flore's defense that showed his flaws, and I know it's tough going against the SB champs' defense that has been playing well lately, but Love doesn't have the 'it' factor, he looks a little like Josh Freeman.

Love just doesn't make accurate throws, he makes a lot of poor decisions, gets easily rattled, and will have the Packers sucking for years.

< Message edited by marty -- 12/3/2023 10:38:49 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2699
RE: Other NFL News - 12/22/2023 12:41:15 PM   
Bill Johanesen

In the 'Why Even Mention It' category, we have a winner:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots head Bill Belichick said that the kicking footballs used in the first half of Sunday's 27-17 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs were "underinflated by 2, 2½ pounds," and he deferred to the NFL as to why that was the case for both teams.

"We don't have anything to do with it. Were we aware of it? Yeah, definitely," Belichick said. "As I understand it, they were all the same. I don't know what the explanation is. It was the same for both teams.
Post #: 2700
Page:   <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode