Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other NFL News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  108 109 110 [111] 112   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other NFL News - 6/16/2024 5:58:48 AM   
Todd M

Wonder what year it’ll be when someone signs the 1st billion $ contract.
Post #: 2751
RE: Other NFL News - 6/21/2024 6:40:52 AM   
Todd M

Bill Belichick doing it right. Same with Zimmer. Neither woman is exactly a super model but looks compared to what kind of woman they’d attract with no money is winning the jackpot for them.

Why wouldn’t you try for that arrangement. Find a woman, out of your league, a non ‘professional’ let’s say, and come up with a deal. Give me a GFE but for X amount of time.
Post #: 2752
RE: Other NFL News - 7/26/2024 8:35:58 AM   
Trekgeekscott

I am kind of shocked.

Laquon Treadwell still has a flicker of an NFL career. Now he's signed with the Indianapolis Colts.

If a cow doesn't provide milk, is that a milk dud or and udder failure?
Post #: 2753
RE: Other NFL News - 8/2/2024 10:54:56 AM   
kgdabom

The Bears treating Williams as if he's a seasoned vet giving him preseason games off. I think that's a mistake that will lead to him getting off to a slow start in the real season.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2754
RE: Other NFL News - 8/2/2024 1:55:48 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

I am kind of shocked.

Laquon Treadwell still has a flicker of an NFL career. Now he's signed with the Indianapolis Colts.

You've gotta love it!

I hope he's got a solid bank acct
Post #: 2755
RE: Other NFL News - 8/2/2024 3:52:19 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

I am kind of shocked.

You've gotta love it!

I hope he's got a solid bank acct

The NFL minimum salary for a veteran is $915,000. That sure beats stocking shelves at Walmart......
Post #: 2756
RE: Other NFL News - 8/9/2024 8:17:30 PM   
Ricky J

Or teaching 6th graders long division ...
Post #: 2757
RE: Other NFL News - 9/10/2024 11:58:45 AM   
David Levine

The Big Thing: Week 1 panic meter

Caleb Williams and Bo Nix: It's probably fine

Williams was not good against the Titans on Sunday, no two ways around it. The Bears' rookie quarterback missed shallow and deep throws he should have hit, panicked in the pocket when it got a little bit messy and let mistakes compound. The game seemed too fast for him at times. It was an extremely rookie performance.

This is certainly disappointing for a No. 1 pick who had a great preseason. Excitement in Chicago was towering, and this feels like a huge letdown even after the Bears escaped with the 24-17 victory.

But because many of Williams' mistakes were classic rookie blunders, I'm not overly concerned. In fact, when Williams wasn't in his own head about reads, pressures and downs and distances, he had some flashy moments. I particularly liked this throw on the move to DJ Moore. You can't teach a guy to generate this much power on the move, especially with such a lightning-fast release.

Nix did fewer "Holy smokes!" things than Williams, but he has always done fewer "Holy smokes!" things than Williams -- that's not his game. Nix is a quick distributor who takes what the defense gives him and relies on his playmakers to run after the catch and create explosive plays.

And that was always going to be a shaky approach considering the Broncos don't have the league's most dynamic pass catchers. It can work if Nix is super accurate on intermediate throws he gets within structure, but that wasn't the case Sunday, a 26-20 loss to the Seahawks. Nix was late on most of his pass attempts, which didn't burn him on running back swings but certainly hurt him when attacking tight windows between zones downfield. Nix was 1-of-9 throwing between 11 to 20 yards against the Seahawks for a shockingly poor minus-45.8% completion percentage over expectation, per NFL Next Gen Stats. One of those nine throws was this interception, which was so late and poorly placed that color commentator Adam Archuleta could not hide his dismay.

As the game slows down for Nix, he'll hit those throws more consistently -- and he'll give his receivers that additional half-second of time needed to turn upfield, break a tackle and create more after the catch. The ceiling in such an approach is obviously low, but that's what Broncos coach Sean Payton wants from his hand-selected first-round quarterback. It might take a few weeks to get Nix up to speed, but I'm confident he can get there; it's just a matter of how effective the offense will be once he does.

It is important, as always, to calibrate rookie quarterback expectations -- especially after a season like the one C.J. Stroud just produced. Stroud's success can create biases toward higher rookie expectations this season. ESPN's Bill Barnwell did an excellent job detailing this. Most Week 1 starts for rookies are bad.

Kirk Cousins: It's probably not fine

When a 36-year-old quarterback coming off an Achilles injury takes his first snaps of the season in a new offense, expectations should be tempered. I have to remind myself that I always expected Cousins and the Falcons' offense to be flat in Week 1, then find their stride as September went on. But I did not expect Cousins to be this flat.

There are two wildly concerning stats from the Falcons' 18-10 loss to the Steelers on Sunday. The first is from ESPN Stats & Information, via NFL Next Gen Stats: The Falcons were in pistol or shotgun on 96% of their snaps Sunday. On 22 snaps from shotgun, they had 0 designed runs. On 26 snaps out of the pistol, they ran the ball 21 times (81%).

It is unacceptable to have an offense this siloed. You are tipping your hand to the defense so clearly that there's no way to recover. Check out this pistol snap and keep an eye on Steelers linebacker Patrick Queen.

Queen is stepping down into the B-gap even as the ball is snapped because he's supremely confident that a handoff is coming. Even the behavior of edge rusher T.J. Watt (who was knifing inside against pistol all game to blow up run plays) and linebacker Payton Wilson (not as fast to step down as Queen but still pretty fast) tells you that the Steelers knew what they were getting from the Falcons' offense.

But why were the Falcons so siloed? If I had to guess, it's because Cousins' mobility is still drastically limited. Here's the other concerning stat, from NFL Next Gen Stats: Cousins moved an average of 3.1 yards per dropback in this game, which is the least dropback movement he has had in a single game of his career by more than a full yard. That's beyond "pocket passer." That's statuesque. That's petrified.

This is why the Falcons were in pistol instead of under center -- because the path to the handoff on under-center dropbacks is far longer. The play-action dropbacks are correspondingly longer as well, and the Falcons did not want to (or could not) ask Cousins to take those paths.

Pistol isn't inherently bad, of course. Offenses have been wrinkling in pistol snaps for the past few years, with the Rams leading the charge in 2023 while now-Falcons offensive coordinator Zac Robinson was on staff. But while pistol can provide new angles in the run game, it is not meant to fully replace under-center runs and play-action passes. The timing of runs is different and less effective, and the play-action menu is much smaller, too. (In this case, the play-action menu was as small as possible. For the first time in his career, Cousins did not attempt a single play-action pass.)

But that's exactly what the Falcons tried to do in Week 1. Look at the percentage of Cousins' passes that came from under center and pistol alignments in his career, along with the percentage of throws that came on the move.

There is another concern with Cousins' Achilles besides dropback movement and quarterback alignment, and it's far simpler and more glaring: Cousins doesn't look comfortable driving the football just yet. Watch the mechanics of this throw on third-and-15. See how Cousins' back foot isn't connected to the ground at all and is just drifting forward as he tries to generate enough velocity to hit this tight window? That's the leg on which he popped the Achilles, and this sort of rep indicates to me he doesn't trust it just yet.

I'm confident this can and will get better for the Falcons and Cousins. The question is, how much better?

The first improvements are easy and come from the running game. Atlanta was dominated in the run game by the Steelers' interior defensive line, achieving a success rate of only 38.4% on runs between the tackles. When the Falcons started getting outside the tackle box, that number jumped to 75%. So long as they're a pistol and shotgun team, their running game should probably look more like the 49ers' run game (which is very good from the gun/into the boundary) than the Rams' run game this coaching staff left behind (which wants to live between the tackles). The Steelers are one of the best run-defending fronts Atlanta will face all season, too. Things will get easier, especially as this team starts to integrate some shotgun runs.

An improved running game will lift the onus from Cousins to carry the team early and hopefully keep the Falcons' offense afloat until he gets his sea legs under him. The problem is the early hole the Falcons dig for themselves might be too tough to escape. Atlanta faces Philadelphia and Kansas City in its next two games, and of the 247 teams to start 0-3 since 1966, exactly six have made the playoffs. Atlanta better find a way to make its offense work ... fast.

One final note on Cousins' recovery and subsequent play style: I have been very critical of the Michael Penix Jr. pick in Atlanta. I thought it showed hubris and short-sightedness rather than foresight. Many of the justifications that the Falcons' brass have made for the selection have failed to change my read on the situation. But let me draw a hypothetical universe for you -- one in which, somewhere between the mid-March signing of Cousins and late-April drafting of Penix, the Falcons became a lot more concerned about Cousins' long-term health than they had been previously.

In that universe, I would find the Penix pick remarkably more defensible, even though I didn't and still don't like the prospect that much. Of course, there would be new questions to ask about the process of courting, signing and evaluating Cousins, and we're not even sure that this hypothetical universe is the real universe. But if the Falcons were seeing then what we're seeing now, I could start to understand the Penix pick a little better.

Daniel Jones: I don't know what you expected

Can one truly panic when there was no hope remaining to lose?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/41194302/nfl-week-1-ben-solak-lessons-stats-predictions-mailbag-panic-meter
Post #: 2758
RE: Other NFL News - 9/10/2024 12:04:18 PM   
Jeff Jesser

RE: Cousins

We've known it for a while now but I bet it was shocking to Falcon fans. Down only 8 this was his last 2 decisions to end the game:

Penultimate play: Check down on 3rd down
Last play: Takes a game ending sack
Post #: 2759
RE: Other NFL News - 9/10/2024 1:12:35 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

We've known it for a while now but I bet it was shocking to Falcon fans. Down only 8 this was his last 2 decisions to end the game:

Ouch!

Next Gen Stats: Cousins moved an average of 3.1 yards per dropback in this game, which is the least dropback movement he has had in a single game of his career by more than a full yard.

For the first time in his career, Cousins did not attempt a single play-action pass
Post #: 2760
RE: Other NFL News - 9/10/2024 2:40:52 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Next up for him. Monday night in Philly

We may see Penix soon.
Post #: 2761
RE: Other NFL News - 9/10/2024 2:51:39 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Next up for him. Monday night in Philly

We may see Penix soon.

They could've signed Darnold for 1 year to be their bridge for so much less...
Post #: 2762
RE: Other NFL News - 9/10/2024 7:59:26 PM   
Bill Jandro

Reminds me of Miami signed Culpepper after he blew out his knee. They were expecting him to play like when he was throwing to Moss.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2763
RE: Other NFL News - 9/11/2024 2:54:14 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

Sums up his time with the Vikings!
Post #: 2764
RE: Other NFL News - 9/11/2024 2:55:35 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

Ouch!

Next Gen Stats: Cousins moved an average of 3.1 yards per dropback in this game, which is the least dropback movement he has had in a single game of his career by more than a full yard.

For the first time in his career, Cousins did not attempt a single play-action pass

He's actually very good with play-action passes. It's his strengh. If he can't do that, then the Falcons are in big trouble.
Post #: 2765
RE: Other NFL News - 9/12/2024 1:31:45 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Back to that article implying Atl had concerns about KC healing so it may be good they drafted Penix.

That take just seems short-sided assuming his injury-induced limitations are not long-term. IOW, if it's reasonable to expect decent mobility in a couple of months, then the Penix pick goes back to being a head-scratcher.
Post #: 2766
RE: Other NFL News - 9/12/2024 3:24:56 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Back to that article implying Atl had concerns about KC healing so it may be good they drafted Penix.

That take just seems short-sided assuming his injury-induced limitations are not long-term. IOW, if it's reasonable to expect decent mobility in a couple of months, then the Penix pick goes back to being a head-scratcher.

If they were worried about his health they wouldn't have signed him. a Physical is part of the process. Penix was drafting for the future...they didn't handle it right. They gave Cousins a lot of money. They woudn't have if they were that concerned about his health.

If they didn't consider his health they GM should be fired post haste.

If a cow doesn't provide milk, is that a milk dud or and udder failure?
Post #: 2767
RE: Other NFL News - 9/12/2024 4:02:26 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

If they were worried about his health they wouldn't have signed him. a Physical is part of the process. Penix was drafting for the future...they didn't handle it right. They gave Cousins a lot of money. They woudn't have if they were that concerned about his health.

Obviously, wow.

As the article mentions, perhaps they became worried AFTER they signed Cousins. Maybe by mid-April it was looking like it was not going to heal right. Otherwise, Penix made no sense except if they somehow believed they should never (for the near term anyway) be caught flat-footed at QB.
Post #: 2768
RE: Other NFL News - 9/12/2024 8:04:08 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Obviously, wow.

As the article mentions, perhaps they became worried AFTER they signed Cousins. Maybe by mid-April it was looking like it was not going to heal right. Otherwise, Penix made no sense except if they somehow believed they should never (for the near term anyway) be caught flat-footed at QB.

It has no real bearing but ironic ATL lost a 5th rd pick for Cousins talking to trainers early.

They heard enough to apparently sign off on the team moving forward.

Not sure what they heard and a 5th rd pick is peanuts and the situation may right itself eventually, etc etc

but it seems a little squirrely right now.
Post #: 2769
RE: Other NFL News - 9/12/2024 9:42:06 PM   
marty

It doesn't look good right now for Atlanta, but football has ebbs and flows, and I wouldn't necessarily assume guys like Kirk and Aaron Rodgers are dead in the water, for the season, after one game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kirk bounced back with a good game next week against Philly, probably covering the spread. But Kirk in primetime, I certainly wouldn't put money on Kirk, except maybe to turn the ball over on his first possession (usually around 15-1 odds).

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2770
RE: Other NFL News - 9/12/2024 11:31:48 PM   
David Levine

Another concussion for Tagovailoa.
Post #: 2771
RE: Other NFL News - 9/13/2024 6:49:25 AM   
Todd M

Cousins will be lucky to make it through this game. The guy can no time on the pocket. A guy that already lacked ability and was an albatross running is now a dead stick.

I don’t see how Atlanta can win a game with him. Every play has to be on time and in rhythm and unfortunately he’s not playing against air.
Post #: 2772
RE: Other NFL News - 9/13/2024 7:47:28 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

He should retire..

He is gonna need long term care in less than 20 years..
Post #: 2773
RE: Other NFL News - 9/13/2024 7:49:49 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

That wasn't even a hard/direct blow to the head. He shouldn't be playing football if that's all it took. Leading with his head wasn't smart either he was well past the sticks where a feet first slide would have been the right move.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2774
RE: Other NFL News - 9/13/2024 9:37:06 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

That wasn't even a hard/direct blow to the head. He shouldn't be playing football if that's all it took. Leading with his head wasn't smart either he was well past the sticks where a feet first slide would have been the right move.

My son and I let out a, whatever that sound is when you think something is real bad, when we saw the replay, but I was concerned with his neck - until I saw what looked like a mini crunch he did while laying down.

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 9/13/2024 10:45:49 AM >
Post #: 2775
Page:   <<   < prev  108 109 110 [111] 112   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  108 109 110 [111] 112   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode