Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  103 104 [105] 106 107   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 6:53:59 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I pretend to know but I don't know.

I'm not entirely unconvinced our record wouldn't have been better if Flip coached us the entire year.

I've considered that possibility as well.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying -- not unconvinced wouldn't? Are you saying there's a reasonable possibility they would have also finished 2-1 or possibly even 3-0 under Flip?
Post #: 2601
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 8:35:02 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

I will say that I am sorry for the vitriol on here today.

I was insulted and didn't take it well. I apologize to all the other posters including Pager and DL.

It's sad one can't have a conversation on here without someone being an insulting jerk And I admit I went too far. But others did too.

Peace.

You guys are all good posters. I appreciate you all.

Elflein had a tough sophomore year and I don't believe he was 100%. Still, good centers can be found in the mid rounds. I wanted Daniels last year. One option is for Elflein to switch to guard if we find a really good center in the draft. say in the third round. It might be good insurance in case Elflein doesn't come back to his rookie year form. I don't have the inside information on Elflein.

Also, I'm wondering if we make a scheme change on the line again next year. It may depend on who the offensive line coach is what he can bring to the team. Being that we are bringing former Denver Broncos coaches to the offense, my hunch is that we will stick with the zone blocking scheme, though. Maybe it's good to see some continuity. Every year there is a new offensive line coach and there are wholesale changes in personnel. With that in mind, I really do hope Elflein returns to form. That will help if there are three starters returning to their same positions.

Good post Bruce. Free Agency is also deeper at the center position. Guard drops off pretty rapidly after Saffold, while centers seems to have more upgrade type options. Getting a veteran stud at center might do more for the guard positions than anything. Then you have more flexibility with the draft. If the right guy falls to you at 18, scoop him up. But you don't have to reach. Have Easton, Elflien, and rookie competing for 2 spots.

I'd be talking with Elf already, see if he's open to it.

After the draft Elf said his preference was Guard, so, I bet he'd be more than happy to move over
unless he's changed his mind since then.

This would mean Spielman blew the off-season again. He needs to ensure that the offensive line doesn't go into next season with any big question marks. Relying on moving Elf to guard and hoping that it works out is a failing proposition. In the offseason RS needs to sign a top tier guard like Saffold, plus a solid, consistent guard, plus Easton to a vet minimum deal. Then he needs to draft a guard or tackle in the first and another one in the 2nd or 3rd. Enough with signing guys and "hoping" they play well in a new position, or have recovered after an injury, or can be coached up because they've always sucked. The only thing that has worked at all for RS is using high draft picks on olinemen, or signing FA with proven track records. Late round guys and scrap heap free agents are late round guys and on the scrap heap for a reason. After this past year Spielman better have finally come to that realization.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 2602
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 9:00:40 AM   
Bruce Johnson

It seems that John Sullivan played well this year for the Rams.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2603
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 9:31:02 AM   
David F.

quote:

Correction: Continues to play well for the Rams this year.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 2604
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 9:46:20 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Correction: Continues to play well for the Rams this year.

We didn't need him.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2605
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 10:17:46 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was insulted and didn't take it well. I apologize to all the other posters including Pager and DL.

It's sad one can't have a conversation on here without someone being an insulting jerk And I admit I went too far. But others did too.

Peace.

Elflein had a tough sophomore year and I don't believe he was 100%. Still, good centers can be found in the mid rounds. I wanted Daniels last year. One option is for Elflein to switch to guard if we find a really good center in the draft. say in the third round. It might be good insurance in case Elflein doesn't come back to his rookie year form. I don't have the inside information on Elflein.

Also, I'm wondering if we make a scheme change on the line again next year. It may depend on who the offensive line coach is what he can bring to the team. Being that we are bringing former Denver Broncos coaches to the offense, my hunch is that we will stick with the zone blocking scheme, though. Maybe it's good to see some continuity. Every year there is a new offensive line coach and there are wholesale changes in personnel. With that in mind, I really do hope Elflein returns to form. That will help if there are three starters returning to their same positions.

Good post Bruce. Free Agency is also deeper at the center position. Guard drops off pretty rapidly after Saffold, while centers seems to have more upgrade type options. Getting a veteran stud at center might do more for the guard positions than anything. Then you have more flexibility with the draft. If the right guy falls to you at 18, scoop him up. But you don't have to reach. Have Easton, Elflien, and rookie competing for 2 spots.

After the draft Elf said his preference was Guard, so, I bet he'd be more than happy to move over

This would mean Spielman blew the off-season again. He needs to ensure that the offensive line doesn't go into next season with any big question marks. Relying on moving Elf to guard and hoping that it works out is a failing proposition. In the offseason RS needs to sign a top tier guard like Saffold, plus a solid, consistent guard, plus Easton to a vet minimum deal. Then he needs to draft a guard or tackle in the first and another one in the 2nd or 3rd. Enough with signing guys and "hoping" they play well in a new position, or have recovered after an injury, or can be coached up because they've always sucked. The only thing that has worked at all for RS is using high draft picks on olinemen, or signing FA with proven track records. Late round guys and scrap heap free agents are late round guys and on the scrap heap for a reason. After this past year Spielman better have finally come to that realization.

Unless, of course, it works out.
Post #: 2606
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 10:28:16 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Peace.

Spielman got the Vikings into this mess because that's how he thinks. He hopes that things will work out, yet they never have. If he still hasn't figured that out, then this team is going to have the same problems next year, and that will be the end of his tenure with the Vikings.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 2607
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 10:32:40 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Peace.

Spielman got the Vikings into this mess because that's how he thinks. He hopes that things will work out, yet they never have. If he still hasn't figured that out, then this team is going to have the same problems next year, and that will be the end of his tenure with the Vikings.

Let's be clear, EVERY GM hopes that things will work out. And you are wrong that they never have. Some things have worked out pretty well. Diggs and Theilen for example.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2608
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 10:38:55 AM   
TJSweens

Spielman has done a lot of things very well. He also has some glaring mistakes in philosophy, like neglecting his O-line in the draft or wasting mid round picks on kickers or drafting Christian Ponder.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2609
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 10:45:17 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Spielman has done a lot of things very well. He also has some glaring mistakes in philosophy, like neglecting his O-line in the draft or wasting mid round picks on kickers or drafting Christian Ponder.

It took Zimmer being here for him to realize that fast LBers are way better than huge "thumpers".

Maybe in a few years he'll realize TEs with speed are more important than guys who look like they might be good blockers.
Post #: 2610
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 10:53:53 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

It took Zimmer being here for him to realize that fast LBers are way better than huge "thumpers".

Maybe in a few years he'll realize TEs with speed are more important than guys who look like they might be good blockers.

Yep. He has shown some adaptability, but he needs to keep improving. All and all, there are a lot worse GM's than Spielman in the NFL. There are definitely some better ones as well. Some better and some worse, doesn't generally get you to a Super Bowl. He either has to up his game or they need to make a change.

Post #: 2611
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 11:18:24 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep. He has shown some adaptability, but he needs to keep improving. All and all, there are a lot worse GM's than Spielman in the NFL. There are definitely some better ones as well. Some better and some worse, doesn't generally get you to a Super Bowl. He either has to up his game or they need to make a change.

Gathering talent hasn't been the problem...it is leadership. If you match the Vikings to almost any other playoff team they are lacking in QB, 2nd TE/3rd WR, and oline. So we need a coach to get Cousins to step up his game in playoffs and against playoff teams as he already can play....who better than Kubiak who can also figure out an effective run game. I remember Peyton being called a choker.

The Vikes have as much talent as any team out there.....there isn't much more that Spielman can do---he will fix the 2 major issues (TE/3rd WR and Oline). Kubiak will help with the oline and QB coach to Cousins.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/18/2019 11:20:38 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2612
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 11:33:04 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Peace.

Let's be clear, EVERY GM hopes that things will work out. And you are wrong that they never have. Some things have worked out pretty well. Diggs and Theilen for example.

The team is littered with 4th round or later/UDFA probowlers.
Post #: 2613
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 11:36:37 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Gathering talent hasn't been the problem...it is leadership. If you match the Vikings to almost any other playoff team they are lacking in QB, 2nd TE/3rd WR, and oline. So we need a coach to get Cousins to step up his game in playoffs and against playoff teams as he already can play....who better than Kubiak who can also figure out an effective run game. I remember Peyton being called a choker.

The Vikes have as much talent as any team out there.....there isn't much more that Spielman can do---he will fix the 2 major issues (TE/3rd WR and Oline). Kubiak will help with the oline and QB coach to Cousins.

I can't agree with the bolded portion of your post.

Talent is weighted. Too much weight goes to the oline and we had too little success in that area last year to say we have as much as anyone -
Post #: 2614
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 11:37:00 AM   
Ricky J

Here comes the snow - getting off of work early today
Post #: 2615
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 11:42:31 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can't agree with the bolded portion of your post.

Talent is weighted. Too much weight goes to the oline and we had too little success in that area last year to say we have as much as anyone -

Nailed it.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2616
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 11:50:21 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Peace.

The team is littered with 4th round or later/UDFA probowlers.

Exactly my point. 4th round or later and udfa guys are the definition of hoping things will work out.

Sometimes they do work out.

One would hope they've done their due diligence on all the players and have a good idea of their capabilities and work ethic before they draft/sign them. but even with that every team has failures.

Do you know how many "Can't Miss" prospects have missed over the years?

I don't either, but I will bet the number is quite high.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2617
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 11:57:27 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Yea it’s always the QB... getting sacked, fumbling when getting mugged, hurrying throws while running for his life, having centers or guards pushed back into the center of the backfield, failing to effectively roll left or right ANd see or thRow to the entire field, not having prowbowl level receivers at 1, 2, and #3 + a Gronkowski or Kelce or a Gonzalez type tight end.

Not to mention a running back and run game plan that prevents teams from just sitting back in coverage and allowing their high priced pass rushers to do THEIR jobs effectively.

How can a team not have all those weapons and an offensive line that is strong and cohesive and talented at both run and pass blocking and short yardage push and a top tier Brady or Maholms, or Brees, or Goff?

What is money a problem?
Are we carrying useless dead weight players who only do one thing, like field punts, or miss extra points, or drop 90% of the football passes that hit their hands?

Oh, and Defilipo sucked.

Regardless of someone’s jock worshiping.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 2618
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 12:43:10 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Those conditions sound intolerable.
Post #: 2619
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 2:12:26 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Those conditions sound intolerable.

I think Larry had a hand in the decision to let us out early
Post #: 2620
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 2:15:42 PM   
Ricky J

NFL @NFL
.@MoveTheSticks' 2019 Mock Draft 1.0:

1. AZ: Nick Bosa
2. SF: Rashan Gary
3. NYJ: Josh Allen
4-32. http://on.nfl.com/bTEOPM

-----

Someone needs to tell Moving the Sticks that Defensive Ends just aren't that important in the whole scheme of things ...
Post #: 2621
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 3:02:47 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

We're out at 3:30. Sounds like the Apocalypse is coming, if you listen to the Chicago news today .
Post #: 2622
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 3:04:05 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

NFL @NFL

-----

Someone needs to tell Moving the Sticks that Defensive Ends just aren't that important in the whole scheme of things ...

No doubt. I like the Williams projection for us, though. So much will change between now and late April, though.
Post #: 2623
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 3:28:14 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

NFL @NFL

-----

No doubt. I like the Williams projection for us, though. So much will change between now and late April, though.

If Williams makes it to 18, he seems like a no-brainer.
Post #: 2624
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/18/2019 3:44:36 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

We're out at 3:30. Sounds like the Apocalypse is coming, if you listen to the Chicago news today .

Yeah, my wife was saying you were going to get 8 inches. She was speculating how long the graduates at Great Lakes would be at O'Hare starting about 2:00 am.
Post #: 2625
Page:   <<   < prev  103 104 [105] 106 107   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  103 104 [105] 106 107   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode