Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/19/2019 2:13:06 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

Spielman has overseen 12 drafts...

“Neglected the offensive line like a red headed stepchild” and “ constanty playing catch-up” are hyperbole, and yet those statements are ingrained “facts” to the one who use that type of hyperbole.

12 drafts, 23 offensive line players
14 wide receivers
18 DB or Safety’s
16 linebackers
Only 5 quarterbacks..

Who needs Quarterbacks in the draft when you can just spend 1/5 of your cap for someone else’s castoffs?

4 in the first 3 rounds. Add Beavers and Clemmings and its 6 in the Top 4 rounds.

17 of 23 picks in Rounds 5, 6 and 7.

So who do you pass on in those twelve drafts to get pro bowl caliber offensive linemen?

Christian Ponder, for sure... others?

Marcus McCauley, Tyrell Johnson, Asher Allen, Chris Cook, Toby Gerhart, Josh Robinson, Scott Crichton, Laquan Treadwell...

A mere four OL picks in the first three rounds over TWELVE years SHOULD have closed the case, but that who's who of draft head-scratchers and busts deep sixes it.

Agreed! Spielman's only had "success" (and that term is used loosely) when drafting o-linemen in the first few rounds. Every player he's picked after the 3rd has been a bust...yet he keeps doing it. The fact that it's been 12 years and he still hasn't figured that out is remarkable.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 2676
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/19/2019 2:48:15 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

“Neglected the offensive line like a red headed stepchild” and “ constanty playing catch-up” are hyperbole, and yet those statements are ingrained “facts” to the one who use that type of hyperbole.

14 wide receivers
18 DB or Safety’s
16 linebackers
Only 5 quarterbacks..

Who needs Quarterbacks in the draft when you can just spend 1/5 of your cap for someone else’s castoffs?

4 in the first 3 rounds. Add Beavers and Clemmings and its 6 in the Top 4 rounds.

So who do you pass on in those twelve drafts to get pro bowl caliber offensive linemen?

Marcus McCauley, Tyrell Johnson, Asher Allen, Chris Cook, Toby Gerhart, Josh Robinson, Scott Crichton, Laquan Treadwell...

A mere four OL picks in the first three rounds over TWELVE years SHOULD have closed the case, but that who's who of draft head-scratchers and busts deep sixes it.

Agreed! Spielman's only had "success" (and that term is used loosely) when drafting o-linemen in the first few rounds. Every player he's picked after the 3rd has been a bust...yet he keeps doing it. The fact that it's been 12 years and he still hasn't figured that out is remarkable.

What is even more remarkable is how stupid the Wilf brothers are that Spielman is still getting paid millions to do a shit job.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 2677
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2019 2:42:34 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Spielman has done some good things. He brought in Sheldon Richardson last year and Case Keenum the year before. Latavius Murray has played well, especially after he had some time to recover from an injury. Newman was a solid cornerback. He surprised me how good he played. Reiff has been solid at LT and Kirk Cousins was coveted by a lot of teams, but Spielman persuaded him here. Nobody is going to hit a homerun with every free agent.

Now, when it comes to the draft, he was widely criticized for the selection of Alexander, but it seems that he played really well as the season progressed. I think he's going to be a keeper. Treadwell was a bust, but he was taken at a position of need where he was projected to go. I think the players selected in the first two rounds last year were really good and are promising for the future. The team was very unfortunate with Floyd with his surgery that didn't work out right. We all were excited when we drafted him. We though we had a steal.

Yes, it's true he hasn't done well with the offensive line, but hopefully Elflein will turn it around with a whole off-season to heal and let's see how the issue is addressed this off-season. We had two offensive linemen (Easton and Collins) who were lost for the season. It seems like we've had some bad luck with regard to player health year after year on the o-line. Mike Harris was another one lost due to injury.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2678
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2019 2:54:25 PM   
Jeff Jesser

As has been said here by many, RS' biggest problem is that he neglects positions for far too long. He'll ignore a position for years. When it should be addressed, he'll "address" it about 3 years too late. That's a really bad way of doing business at any position but it's especially terrible when it's your Oline. If you ignore RB, for example, you can finally draft one and he can be Gurly. You only need 1 superstar. We need to hit on 5 plus solid depth. That's daunting.
Post #: 2679
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2019 6:17:12 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Spielman has done some good things. He brought in Sheldon Richardson last year and Case Keenum the year before. Latavius Murray has played well, especially after he had some time to recover from an injury. Newman was a solid cornerback. He surprised me how good he played. Reiff has been solid at LT and Kirk Cousins was coveted by a lot of teams, but Spielman persuaded him here. Nobody is going to hit a homerun with every free agent.

Now, when it comes to the draft, he was widely criticized for the selection of Alexander, but it seems that he played really well as the season progressed. I think he's going to be a keeper. Treadwell was a bust, but he was taken at a position of need where he was projected to go. I think the players selected in the first two rounds last year were really good and are promising for the future. The team was very unfortunate with Floyd with his surgery that didn't work out right. We all were excited when we drafted him. We though we had a steal.

Yes, it's true he hasn't done well with the offensive line, but hopefully Elflein will turn it around with a whole off-season to heal and let's see how the issue is addressed this off-season. We had two offensive linemen (Easton and Collins) who were lost for the season. It seems like we've had some bad luck with regard to player health year after year on the o-line. Mike Harris was another one lost due to injury.

With a 50% failure rate in the first round, I don't hold Rick to a higher standard. I think he's done a good, even great, job in a lot of areas. I try not to play the, if he selected Michael Thomas game. Look how many teams passed on him, including those that did multiple times.

I give him no leeway on the oline. 4 sections in the top 3 rounds in 12 years is inexcusable. He gambled last year that a starting interior would be there at the end of the second. That gamble failed and had a huge impact on the 2018 season. Two out of the last three years, the oline destroyed our chances to make the playoffs.

If he doesn't fix it. It's a fire-able offense.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2680
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2019 6:18:55 PM   
Pager

Life is a whole lot better today.

Both the Saints and Eagles are out of the playoffs. F both teams and their fan bases. Hope it hurts.

(says the fan of a team without a superbowl win)

Post #: 2681
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2019 6:42:18 PM   
ronhextall

Zimmer wants to run yet keeps getting in Speilman’s ear to draft defense.

Watching the games today just frustrates me even more. Next year needs to be NFC title game or the door for both of them.

I think Zimmer is a mental midget compared to the coaches playing today.
Post #: 2682
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2019 7:19:08 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Both the Saints and Eagles are out of the playoffs. F both teams and their fan bases. Hope it hurts.

I can relate, totally. My main thing is getting the Patriots to lose, though. I've been thinking that I can die a happy man if they lose today. I want them to lose that badly. Jealousy? Yeah.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2683
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2019 7:23:54 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

14 wide receivers
18 DB or Safety’s
16 linebackers
Only 5 quarterbacks..

John Sullivan?
Post #: 2684
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2019 7:49:56 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

14 wide receivers
18 DB or Safety’s
16 linebackers
Only 5 quarterbacks..

John Sullivan?

He peaked in his first draft!
Post #: 2685
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2019 7:50:57 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

14 wide receivers
18 DB or Safety’s
16 linebackers
Only 5 quarterbacks..

John Sullivan?

Wasn't the TalkVikes family happy to see Sullivan go?
Post #: 2686
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2019 7:52:00 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

I can relate, totally. My main thing is getting the Patriots to lose, though. I've been thinking that I can die a happy man if they lose today. I want them to lose that badly. Jealousy? Yeah.

I'd love to see KC pull it out. I won't be mad if the Pats win tho. I'll even watch the Superbowl this year.

Post #: 2687
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2019 7:59:35 PM   
Pager

huge huge stop by chiefs

Post #: 2688
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2019 8:40:56 PM   
ronhextall

Refs are bad. Another reason you need a damn good offense. Refs will screw you on PI and Roughing calls too often to rely on defense.

Too lazy to look but I wonder if Tom Brady has more playoff wins than most NFL franchises.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 1/20/2019 9:46:04 PM >
Post #: 2689
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2019 7:34:32 AM   
SteveR

Pretty good games yesterday. Those four teams are quite a ways ahead of us.

I'm okay with the Patriots win. One would think Mahomes is going to be threatening for a Super Bowl for a long time. Wow, he is good, and once he gets more situational experience, he will probably be a tough out. He took a couple of sacks that cost the Chiefs pretty badly. Meanwhile, Brady and Bellichek continue to be borderline supernatural. I actually have fun watching the Patriots continue to defy time. I learned my lesson with Michael Jordan. I always rooted against him because I was sick of him winning. In retrospect, I realize I got to watch greatness, so it is with the Patriots. Might as well say I got to see the best-ever QB and coach do their thing until they are, perhaps, dethroned sometime in the distant future by someone else. Even if they don't win the SB, getting there three times in a row at this stage is crazy.

Brady was clutch big-time on their last drive in regulation. Third down after third down over the middle. Seems like Vikings never do that. They want to be so balanced they don't bother to keep repeating something that works...or that could be my imagination. Regardless, we aren't even in the same solar system as the four teams yesterday in what it takes to get to the big one.

The pass interference no call in the Saints/Rams game was...something. It took the game away from the Saints pretty much. I can't complain too much because it is the Saints, but I don't think that is good for the game when something like that can make such a huge difference. Oh well...the world is still turning.
Post #: 2690
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2019 8:10:49 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

As has been said here by many, RS' biggest problem is that he neglects positions for far too long. He'll ignore a position for years. When it should be addressed, he'll "address" it about 3 years too late. That's a really bad way of doing business at any position but it's especially terrible when it's your Oline. If you ignore RB, for example, you can finally draft one and he can be Gurly. You only need 1 superstar. We need to hit on 5 plus solid depth. That's daunting.

Exactly. Needs to be selecting oline early in the last 3 drafts. I understand BPA and the like but we don't have 5 servicable starters and zero to no depth.

By not getting guys early we have nobody to turn to when injuries hit. Also, by neglecting the unit we're forced to purchase over priced mediorce guys.

One would think after 2016 he'd of learned.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2691
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2019 8:41:45 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

14 wide receivers
18 DB or Safety’s
16 linebackers
Only 5 quarterbacks..

John Sullivan?

The talkvikes family is always happy to see players go,.

Hell, name any freaking player in the entire existence of talkvikes any player, no matter how good they were or bad they were , there is always someone doing the happy dance when the “POS” is gone.

That includes me and FAVRey and that coach who shall never be named.

Every coach we have ever had, as long as I have posted with this group, has been vilified and “fired” multiple times by many a lynch mob.

Players hated?

Peterson, Birk, HTAFK, Patterson, McKinney, Stussie, Cunningham, FAVRey, Ponder, whizzinator, Webb, the multi position bust..., Michael Bennett, Robert Smith, Everson Griffen, Randy Moss, ......

The list is endless.

We ALL are guilty.

As much as I disagree with many people over this or that opinion of players or personnel on the roster or off field behaviors, I have little respect for anyone who gives up, quits, has nothing positive to contribute, ever, or makes public or private threats, which I have done also, but unlike some, I have in most cases, tried to mend that fence or bridge.

Make no mistake, I have burnt some bridges to the fn ground and pissed on the ashes and do not give a flying rats ass about it.
I won’t name them, they know who and why they are what they are.

Some people I never, ever read, unless someone quotes a post,

ThenI might say something directly related to said idiots post, and they may take offense and respond, or not, but I never know or care,unless that gets quoted, because, 1. I don’t care .....and 2. I LITERALLY cannot care less about whoever I consider an asshat, or their opinion on ANYTHING.

I know I am on that kind of list as well with some people.
c'est la vie

Fn Spielman has been good and bad, bitch all you want, that’s your right as fans, but none of us, myself included have the chops it takes to be a GM in anything but Fantasy football.

Realistically, we’d all be fired halfway thru our first draft.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 1/21/2019 9:12:32 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 2692
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2019 9:05:19 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Oh and **** Brady and billecheat and the patriots.
Forever.
For those of you having a tomgasm or a billicheatism over “GOAT” blah fn blah fn blah....

Bet you loved the fn Steelers too, or the cowboys, or the packers, or some other fanboy “dynasty” at some point in time.

Good on ya...

I have Three sports teams I have followed since before I was even a teenager, since before I had even gotten to double digits in age...

Yankees, thanks to Whitey Ford, Celtics thanks Bill Cowens.. I wanted to BE Bill Cowens, and the Vikings, thanks to Bud Grant and The Sir Francis Asbury Tarkenton.

Period

no nascar, no hockey, no anything else, sports wise.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 1/21/2019 9:23:37 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 2693
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2019 9:13:08 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

14 wide receivers
18 DB or Safety’s
16 linebackers
Only 5 quarterbacks..

John Sullivan?

The talkvikes family is always happy to see players go,.

Hell name any freaking player in the entire existence of talkvikes any no matter how good they were or bad they were , their is always someone doing the happy dance when the “POS” is gone.

That includes me and FAVRey and that coach who shall never be named.

Every coach we have everhad, as long as I have posted with this group, has been vilified and “fired” multiple times by many a lynch mob.
Peterson, Birk, HTAFK, Patterson, McKinney, Stussie, Cunningham, FAVRey, Ponder, whizzinator, Webb, the multi position bust..., Michael Bennett, Robert Smith...

The list is endless.

We ALL are guilty.

As much as I disagree with many people over this or that opinion of players or personnel on the roster or off field behaviors, I have little respect for anyone who gives up, quits, has nothing positive to contribute, ever, or makes public or private threats, which I have done also, but unlike some, I have in most cases, tried to mend that fence or bridge.

Make no mistake, I have burnt some to the fn ground and pissed on the ashes and do not give a flying rats ass about it.
I won’t name them, they know who and why they are what they are.

Some people I never, ever read unless someone quotes a post, The I might say something directly related to said idiots post, and the may take offense and respond, or not, but I never know or care, 1. Because I don’t care and 2. I LITERALLY cannot care less about whoever I consider an asshat, their opinion on ANYTHING.

I know I am on that kind of list as well with some people.
c'est la vie

Fn Spielman has been good and bad, bitch all you want, that’s your right as fans, but none of us, myself included have the chops it takes to be a GM in anything but Fantasy football.

Realistically, we’d all be fired halfway thru our first draft.

There are a number of smart, football savvy posters here that I would guess would handle the draft quite well if given the same resources Spielman has at his disposal. Spielman is very good at maneuvering, though it is difficult to quantify the net benefit of all of those moves.
Post #: 2694
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2019 9:18:23 AM   
SteveR

quote:

Bet you loved the fn Steelers too, or the cowboys, or the packers, or some other fanboy “dynasty” at some point in time.

I will take that bet! What do I win?

Oh right...I'm a Vikings fan. So nothing...
Post #: 2695
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2019 9:42:58 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

Coach Moss???

That would be Sweet!

www.dailynorseman.com/2019/1/17/18187658/coach-randy-moss-wide-receiver-coach-minnesota-vikings

I don't think so. Moss was all speed, height, jumping ability. He didn't run great routes or give great effort. He was born with superb tools and didn't get as much out of them as he could have. Not great coaching material in my book.

Couldn't disagree more.

Randy Moss="I play when I want to play."

Come on, as a Vikings fan you should know the context of that quote.

He was responding to a question about what things/situations motivated him. Moss has said multiple times that "I play when I want to play" meant he motivated himself. That he didn't need outside forces to motivate him. Moss always wanted to play.

That said, I doubt he'd be a good coach, but not for the reasons you said. But because great players very rarely make good coaches. Its the guys who couldn't quite make it, or had to scratch and claw just to make the end of a roster for years that tend to be the best coaches.

Good Point.

I do think Adam Theilen will wind up being a good coach.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2696
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2019 10:00:08 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

Coach Moss???

That would be Sweet!

www.dailynorseman.com/2019/1/17/18187658/coach-randy-moss-wide-receiver-coach-minnesota-vikings

I don't think so. Moss was all speed, height, jumping ability. He didn't run great routes or give great effort. He was born with superb tools and didn't get as much out of them as he could have. Not great coaching material in my book.

Moss had great football IQ.

Bill Belicheck mentions 3 guys who are absolute football geniuses, meaning they have an innate awareness of where everyone is on the field at all times: Brady, LT and Moss. Belicheck also said Moss changed some of his views on football, you can see the Pats have been a different type of dynasty since 2007.

That being said I could see Moss being a good coach, whether he wants to be one is another story, seems like he has a good gig at ESPN.
Post #: 2697
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2019 10:09:22 AM   
Rob Viking

I am sure it's been mentioned, but I really like the Kubiak hire. With him, I think it's a must we find an athletic guard. Elf and O'Neil are built for the old Bronco zone blocking schemes. Cook is built to run stretch plays as well. I am not sure about Reiff but he is a slightly below avg sized LT. Kubiak also knows how to control the pace of the game, we can all laugh at the Broncos passing game in 2015 but they did control the pace of many games especially in the playoffs. All in all a good hire, Kubiak is the ideal intermediary between Zimmer and Stefanski.
Post #: 2698
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2019 11:44:13 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: SteveR

Pretty good games yesterday. Those four teams are quite a ways ahead of us.

I'm okay with the Patriots win. One would think Mahomes is going to be threatening for a Super Bowl for a long time. Wow, he is good, and once he gets more situational experience, he will probably be a tough out. He took a couple of sacks that cost the Chiefs pretty badly. Meanwhile, Brady and Bellichek continue to be borderline supernatural. I actually have fun watching the Patriots continue to defy time. I learned my lesson with Michael Jordan. I always rooted against him because I was sick of him winning. In retrospect, I realize I got to watch greatness, so it is with the Patriots. Might as well say I got to see the best-ever QB and coach do their thing until they are, perhaps, dethroned sometime in the distant future by someone else. Even if they don't win the SB, getting there three times in a row at this stage is crazy.

Brady was clutch big-time on their last drive in regulation. Third down after third down over the middle. Seems like Vikings never do that. They want to be so balanced they don't bother to keep repeating something that works...or that could be my imagination. Regardless, we aren't even in the same solar system as the four teams yesterday in what it takes to get to the big one.

The pass interference no call in the Saints/Rams game was...something. It took the game away from the Saints pretty much. I can't complain too much because it is the Saints, but I don't think that is good for the game when something like that can make such a huge difference. Oh well...the world is still turning.

Good post. The rest of the posters applauding that non PI call, I welcome the day it happens to the Vikings because that will be pay back. Anyone who appreciates the game should be totally pissed off that an officiating crew can make that bad of a judgment that impacts the final score of the game as well as the winner. In situations like that, the league needs to step in and make the call right. There should be a situation where the coach of each team can challenge one called or non-called penalty per game for review. It can either be a specific penalty review in addition to the on-field challenges or simply become incorporated into the challenge rule.

Post #: 2699
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2019 11:46:41 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

Tom Brady proves once again he is the greatest QB of all-time. None come close.

Post #: 2700
Page:   <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode