Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/1/2019 9:27:18 AM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kwheats

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/2/27/18243957/minnesota-vikings-shopping-trae-waynes-scouting-combine#

Just checked some old articles from Mayock on Waynes. Very high on him.

Waynes for LG Osemele

2019 10.2M cap hit
2020 11.7M cap hit

LT Reiff/Dillard
LG Osemele
C Paradis
RG Elf
RT O'Neill

or

LT O'Neill/Reiff
LG Osemele
C Paradis
RG Elf
RT Cody Ford

You don't bench Reiff in favor of 2nd year O'Neill and rookie Ford. Reiff has been solid as a pro at both LT and RT (when healthy), if overpriced. Just because Ford played well in college (Reiff was ranked equally if not slightly higher as the 2nd best OL in his draft) – it won't simply qualify Ford to start over veteran Reiff.

There is no way that we are trotting out 3 new starters on the OL that are not on the team right now. No chance.

In a worst case scenario, the rumors are true and Reiff is starting at one of the G spots. (and I am completely wrong about him being a solid OT)

Very solid in 2017. Had his struggles last year.

I wouldn't pass on Dillard or Ford at #18.

Maybe more realistic is Reiff/Ford/Paradis/Elf/O'Neill

I agree with you, I would not pass on Dillard or Ford at #18 although I haven't looked at the prospect rankings very 'hard' yet.

Reiff had his struggles last year for sure. He certainly didn't earn his contract. I am assuming his injury problems and playing alongside Compton didn't help – but I don't know that for a fact. I think he was a decent player for the Lions, so maybe last year was the outlier.

People have thrown a lot of scenarios around in here but I do think your Reiff+Elflein+O'Neill+Draft Choice+FA is how it will work out. More than two new starters ... I'm not seeing it.

This is where I'm at too. My 2 draft crushes are Ford and Dillard but I haven't done a very deep dive yet

< Message edited by Murph -- 3/1/2019 9:32:34 AM >

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 3401
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/1/2019 8:41:37 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kwheats

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/2/27/18243957/minnesota-vikings-shopping-trae-waynes-scouting-combine#

Just checked some old articles from Mayock on Waynes. Very high on him.

Waynes for LG Osemele

2019 10.2M cap hit
2020 11.7M cap hit

LT Reiff/Dillard
LG Osemele
C Paradis
RG Elf
RT O'Neill

or

LT O'Neill/Reiff
LG Osemele
C Paradis
RG Elf
RT Cody Ford

You don't bench Reiff in favor of 2nd year O'Neill and rookie Ford. Reiff has been solid as a pro at both LT and RT (when healthy), if overpriced. Just because Ford played well in college (Reiff was ranked equally if not slightly higher as the 2nd best OL in his draft) – it won't simply qualify Ford to start over veteran Reiff.

There is no way that we are trotting out 3 new starters on the OL that are not on the team right now. No chance.

In a worst case scenario, the rumors are true and Reiff is starting at one of the G spots. (and I am completely wrong about him being a solid OT)

Very solid in 2017. Had his struggles last year.

I wouldn't pass on Dillard or Ford at #18.

Maybe more realistic is Reiff/Ford/Paradis/Elf/O'Neill

I agree with you, I would not pass on Dillard or Ford at #18 although I haven't looked at the prospect rankings very 'hard' yet.

Reiff had his struggles last year for sure. He certainly didn't earn his contract. I am assuming his injury problems and playing alongside Compton didn't help – but I don't know that for a fact. I think he was a decent player for the Lions, so maybe last year was the outlier.

People have thrown a lot of scenarios around in here but I do think your Reiff+Elflein+O'Neill+Draft Choice+FA is how it will work out. More than two new starters ... I'm not seeing it.

This is where I'm at too. My 2 draft crushes are Ford and Dillard but I haven't done a very deep dive yet

Maybe this has been posted but my first look at Ford in action:

https://twitter.com/JReidNFL/status/1078501061307047936
Post #: 3402
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/1/2019 8:51:17 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
For what it's worth, Spielman would not discuss whether the Vikings will use their franchise or transition tags before the start of the league year. In previous years, he's sometimes been willing to rule out those options publicly.

Who would they use those tags on, anyway?

Barreiro had a lady on yesterday saying Anthony Barr is somebody that Zimm might push for tagging.

Doesn't sound like a smart football move, given Barr's production.

Agreed. Let him walk, save the salary this year and get an extra 3rd round compensatory pick next year.

We sign a FA OL offsets Barrs compensatory.

That’s assuming Barr as our only FA loss. As far as starting, top tier FA’s go, we’re probably going to lose Murray and Richardson as well.

Murray is neither of those. He's a nice complimentary back.
Post #: 3403
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/2/2019 3:42:12 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

quote:

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
For what it's worth, Spielman would not discuss whether the Vikings will use their franchise or transition tags before the start of the league year. In previous years, he's sometimes been willing to rule out those options publicly.

Who would they use those tags on, anyway?

Barreiro had a lady on yesterday saying Anthony Barr is somebody that Zimm might push for tagging.

Doesn't sound like a smart football move, given Barr's production.

Agreed. Let him walk, save the salary this year and get an extra 3rd round compensatory pick next year.

We sign a FA OL offsets Barrs compensatory.

That’s assuming Barr as our only FA loss. As far as starting, top tier FA’s go, we’re probably going to lose Murray and Richardson as well.

Murray is neither of those. He's a nice complimentary back.

cook, boone and thomas - we're in good shape with running backs...out of all of our free agents i'd keep richardson - we don't have a young replacement near his level....

i think spielman goes 2nd round tender with harris - that would be about $3m/yr....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3404
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/2/2019 11:22:15 AM   
Ragnarök

https://thevikingage.com/2019/03/01/minnesota-vikings-actually-want-kubiak-offensive-coordinator/
Post #: 3405
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/2/2019 11:59:15 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

https://thevikingage.com/2019/03/01/minnesota-vikings-actually-want-kubiak-offensive-coordinator/

I heard Zimmer on with PA a couple days ago. He says Kubiak is one of the most humble guys he has met.

So, there shouldn't be any problems with Stefanski and Kubiak.

Also, FWIW, Leber heard that DeFlip was a my way or the highway type guy.
Post #: 3406
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/2/2019 12:01:19 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Sean Borman@SeanBoarMan
Despite what Mike Zimmer said at his Combine press conference, Ben Goessling (on KFAN) has heard rumblings of an Everson Griffen restructure negotiation, with cutting him being an option if he doesn’t agree to a deal.

Same was said for Kyle Rudolph.

Post #: 3407
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/2/2019 1:37:24 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Sean Borman@SeanBoarMan
Despite what Mike Zimmer said at his Combine press conference, Ben Goessling (on KFAN) has heard rumblings of an Everson Griffen restructure negotiation, with cutting him being an option if he doesn’t agree to a deal.

Same was said for Kyle Rudolph.

No surprise here

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3408
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/2/2019 1:57:47 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

This guy is full of shit. The leap in logic is KGAdabom-ish.
Post #: 3409
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/2/2019 3:04:37 PM   
joejitsu

I like the idea of Ford lining up along our line. Watching him block a guy one on one looks like someone trying to wrestle a bear. He's a big dude.
Post #: 3410
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/2/2019 4:47:24 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

I like the idea of Ford lining up along our line. Watching him block a guy one on one looks like someone trying to wrestle a bear. He's a big dude.

6'4" 329 lbs. He's a big mean looking fella

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3411
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/2/2019 8:22:19 PM   
marty

I think the Vikings would miss Murray more than some think, he is a tough, physical runner that anticipates well, and stays healthy. The perfect compliment for Cook. I would be tempted to make Cook more the complimentary back because of durability concerns.

Boone and Thomas have shown next to nothing in the regular season. Murray would likely be missed more than anticipated, similar to Patterson, Wright and other AFBs.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3412
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/2/2019 8:24:26 PM   
marty

Some GREAT news, if this guy is correct and Sloter is getting the nod at 2nd string. Might be the starter soon, if that is the case.

I think he is a gem, loads of potential, based on his smarts, size, accurate throws, and placement of throws.

https://twitter.com/i/redirect?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fi%2Ftopics%2Ftweet%2F11019

< Message edited by marty -- 3/2/2019 8:27:58 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3413
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/2/2019 8:30:41 PM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I think the Vikings would miss Murray more than some think, he is a tough, physical runner that anticipates well, and stays healthy. The perfect compliment for Cook. I would be tempted to make Cook more the complimentary back because of durability concerns.

Boone and Thomas have shown next to nothing in the regular season. Murray would likely be missed more than anticipated, similar to Patterson, Wright and other AFBs.

I'd rather use the cap space elsewhere; i.e. OLINE, OLINE, OLINE, LB for Barr's replacement, TE, if there is an option out there that would compliment Rudy and stretch the D vertically.

I have liked what I have seen from Boone and Thomas, for much less. Keeping 4 RB's and a fullback is overkill, imo.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 3414
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/2/2019 8:39:15 PM   
marty

Let one of Boone or Thomas go, keep Murray.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3415
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/4/2019 2:28:45 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

murray is another $3-4m/yr....

Post #: 3416
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/4/2019 2:52:43 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Murray wants to start. Wont happen here with Cook. Boone and Thomas combined are cheaper than Murray will be and the Vikings are facing salary cap issues.

Unless something miraculous happens Murray is no longer a Viking.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 3417
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/4/2019 2:53:41 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Boone and Thomas have had next to no opportunities in the regular season.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 3418
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/4/2019 4:30:33 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Boone and Thomas have had next to no opportunities in the regular season.

Its a moot point ... Murray wants to start somewhere else, the team is committed to Cook when healthy, we don't have the cap to pay Murray or any other veteran near-starting caliber money.

That being said ... Cook cannot stay healthy and Boone/Thomas are unproven. Given the laser focus on improving the running game (to balance the passing game), we probably will draft a Kubiak approved RB late in the draft, make a big offer to an UDFA, and scourge the mercenary market for low cost veterans during the offseason.

At best to uncover a gem, at worst to compete with Boone/Thomas.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/4/2019 6:49:34 PM >
Post #: 3419
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/5/2019 10:06:42 AM   
jbusse

I can't see them re-signing Dan Bailey. First seven games last year, he was 12/15 or 80% on FGs. Last seven games, he was 9/13 or 69% on FGs. Kai Forbath was quite a bit better as a Viking at 47/53 or 89% on FGs (less so on PATs), and he didn't freak out in the playoffs.
Post #: 3420
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/5/2019 10:31:38 AM   
marty

But Bailey regressing is likely the effect of the @a hole special teams coach Preifer making him nervous and giving him bad advice.

Bailey can be a top kicker with a special teams coach that doesn't suck.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3421
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/5/2019 10:55:07 AM   
jbusse

quote:

But Bailey regressing is likely the effect of the @a hole special teams coach Preifer making him nervous and giving him bad advice.

...but on the surface he looks calm and ready...unlike Daniel Carlson.
Post #: 3422
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/5/2019 11:56:18 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

...but on the surface he looks calm and ready...unlike Daniel Carlson.

Carlson quickly became a stone cold killer with ice in his veins for Oakland. We drafted him in round 5, ruined him, cut him, and less than a month later he's lights-out for someone else. AND THE COACH RESPONSIBLE LEFT ON HIS OWN RATHER THAN BEING LET GO. But we have a top-10 defense though so I guess there's that... even though we didn't even make the playoffs.

This is a big year for Zimmer. It will define his career.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3423
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/5/2019 12:39:14 PM   
Ragnarök

Vikings do not appear to be sold on Kyle Sloter as their backup in 2019

https://thevikingage.com/2019/03/05/minnesota-vikings-not-sold-sloter-backup-2019/

Zimmer and Co are ready to waste what little cap room and a roster space on another scrub backup QB?

“We’re going to look for another quarterback. A lot of it is going to come down to the salary cap issues and who we can afford. We know who we kind of want and want back. We have to monitor the market.”

Have some fricken balls Zimm... Think he has the yips over losing QBs early in seasons, but damn... You have the man Kirk and preseason game finisher Kyle Sloter has to have shown enough by now... If who they want back is Siemian what a waste of cash and space...

"Who we kind of want back"
hmmm, Case Keenum just had a daydream flashback for a brief moment there!

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 3/5/2019 12:45:11 PM >
Post #: 3424
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/5/2019 12:49:45 PM   
Ragnarök

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/03/rams-decline-john-sullivans-option

Sully have anything left to bring back to Purple and plug in center? Let Elf shift to interior OL???

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 3/5/2019 12:51:03 PM >
Post #: 3425
Page:   <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode