Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  137 138 [139] 140 141   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/6/2019 5:01:57 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Report: Everson Griffen and Kyle Rudolph not interested in restructuring contracts

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/3/5/18252390/report-everson-griffen-and-kyle-rudolph-not-interested-in-restructuring-contracts

-----------------------

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/3/5/18252407/vikings-extend-cj-ham-and-matt-wile

Wow, if true, bummer and hopefully goodbye to 2 guys I really liked but were going to be overpaid.

As much as I like some of our players, at some point, to continue to pay big dollars and play them as their skills decline is not smart. Spiels has put together a very talented roster, but has achieved zero Super Bowl appearances. To some degree, I blame coaching. But IMO, it's time to cut bait on some, and bring in hungrier players with upside. And you have to retain players with upside over guys who are not performing. A perfect example is letting Colby Gossett get poached off the Practice Squad while watching absolutely horrible players like Compton take up roster spots. A potential young Oline player you drafted is gone.

Money is tight, and to get some relief, you have to bite the bullet and jettison some. IMO, guys like Barr, Griffen, Sendejo, Remmers and Rudolph are expendable, especially considering the diminishing returns for what you're paying. New England seems to get it right all the time.

Cut The Fat, infuse with some youthful talent, and coach them up.

You can't have All Pros at every position.

Pretty annoying to see Gossett started four games for the Cardinals.

quote:

Colby Gossett

Where Arizona went 0-4 and scored 12.5 ppg. I suspect their OL was a bigger shithole than ours.

Of all the practice squad linemen, they go after ours, and we have one of the worst O-lines in the league. Along with the team's refusal to try anything different from Compton-Elflein-Remmers, despite consistent evidence of poor play, suggests to me that our O-lineman evaluation has been subpar.

When Arizona picked up Gossett week 9 their season was already a dumpster fire, didn't much matter who they put on their roster competition wise. And we have no idea whether or not Gossett would have been an upgrade to the players we fielded.

Correct, but we DO KNOW that the OLine was struggling badly, and as wrote earlier, we kept marching out the same shit show of poor play that gave Cousins no time to throw.

What is the point of going with the same crap every week that get you no favorable results?

And if Arizona season no longer mattered to them, why go get a player from another team's PS? Evidently they thought enough of him as a player, and more importantly, continued to try and get better play from their OLine. Not sure what Zimmer's rational was to keep with the same garbage that wasn't working.

Sam Darnold's Gonna Shock Us All
Post #: 3451
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/6/2019 5:07:05 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/03/rams-decline-john-sullivans-option

Sully have anything left to bring back to Purple and plug in center? Let Elf shift to interior OL???

My guess is he'd be an upgrade for the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the season and then likely a liability after that.

If we were to land Paradis in FA it might be frugal to sign Sully on a minimum deal if that's his market.

Paradis might not be ready to begin the season.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3452
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/6/2019 5:09:38 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/06/report-kevin-zeitlers-name-has-been-thrown-around-in-trade-talks/

Wonder what it would cost both in trade currency and $ if we can get him to sign a new contract??

Trade Grif straight up for Zietler.

Post #: 3453
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/6/2019 5:10:35 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

i think it was about 140 grams of marijuana....

Daren Sukhram@DarenSukhram
JUST IN: @Vikings RB Roc Thomas charged with felony drug possession. A team spokesman says they "have expressed our disappointment directly to Roc ... We will respect both the legal process and the NFL’s disciplinary process."

Bye Bye Roc

Post #: 3454
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/6/2019 5:19:43 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

JUST IN: @Vikings RB Roc Thomas charged with felony drug possession. A team spokesman says they "have expressed our disappointment directly to Roc ... We will respect both the legal process and the NFL’s disciplinary process."

Bye Bye Roc

Wow. If true, what a knucklehead.

Looks like a definite need to get a RB in the draft now...

Post #: 3455
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/6/2019 5:37:07 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bye Bye Roc

Nah. You don't need a draft pick to replace Roc.

Boone is the better player anyways, so you replace Roc with an undrafted FA or a cheap veteran.
Post #: 3456
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/6/2019 5:45:52 PM   
Bill Jandro

What we need is a guy like Jet. Boone is a good receiver so with a year of seasoning he could possibly be a legit #2 back.

Pot really isn't that big of a deal these days but the suspension is.

Post #: 3457
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/6/2019 5:46:24 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bye Bye Roc

Nah. You don't need a draft pick to replace Roc.

Boone is the better player anyways, so you replace Roc with an undrafted FA or a cheap veteran.

We should spend one of our invaluable 7th rd picks and get our choice of soon to be UDFAs ... if we haven’t already leveraged them for higher picks or a premium used-up veteran.
Post #: 3458
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/6/2019 10:03:44 PM   
marty

The Roc situation is just one more reason to keep Murray.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3459
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/6/2019 10:11:26 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Murray does not want to stay.

Losing our 3rd string RB is irrelevant.
Post #: 3460
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/6/2019 11:06:34 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

We could sign Bruce Anderson (NDSU) probably UDFA. Similar to Roc.
Post #: 3461
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/6/2019 11:17:10 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I was surprised that the Vikings kept Thomas on the 53 man roster for the entire season. Early in the season I thought they just wanted to protect him by keeping him there temporarily and had plans to let him slide to the practice squad later. He played well in the pre-season, but he was an undrafted free agent and he was behind three other running backs and a fullback on the depth chart. We had to make some really tough cuts to keep him.

Running back is absolutely the easiest position to find. Again, Thomas was an undrafted free agent. Running backs coming out of college are close to their prime right out of the gate and we will find backup running backs who get cut when other teams have to get down to their 53 man roster who can be fine backup running backs for our team. If you want to find a starting running back, that's another thing, or if you want a starting running back who has the potential to be elite. For that I can understand selecting one in the first or second rounds. Some of you will disagree with that, but I'm saying in order to justify that he has to be really, really special.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3462
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2019 10:41:39 AM   
ratoppenheimer

One gm said that he would have been the best te to hit free agency in three years...Boyle ran a 5.03/40 in the combine....

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet
The #Ravens and TE Nick Boyle agreed to terms on a 3-year extension worth $18M, source said. He gets $10M in guarantees. The former fifth round pick sticks in Baltimore with a nice payday.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3463
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2019 1:21:37 PM   
The Happy Norseman

I cannot believe how many quality starting Safeties are free agents this year. When the dust settles I suspect there will be one or two big names left holding the bag, forced to sign a one year below-market deal.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 3464
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2019 2:11:30 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

I cannot believe how many quality starting Safeties are free agents this year. When the dust settles I suspect there will be one or two big names left holding the bag, forced to sign a one year below-market deal.

coughcoughWEDDLE!coughcoughcough
Post #: 3465
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2019 5:21:12 PM   
Viking Rich

Broncos agree to trade Keenum to the Redskins

Post #: 3466
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2019 6:11:15 PM   
Ragnarök

Washington gets Case Keenum in swap of late-round picks
Posted by Charean Williams on March 7, 2019, 5:59 PM EST

Washington didn’t have to give up much to get quarterback Case Keenum. It sent a sixth-rounder to Denver in 2020, with Washington getting the Broncos’ seventh-rounder in 2020, Mike Klis of Denver’s 9News reports.

Keenum got a reworked contract, with the Broncos paying him a $500,000 restructure bonus as well as $3.5 million of his $7 million guaranteed salary, according to Klis. Keenum is scheduled to make $18 million in base salary this season.

Will make the Skins at Minnesota game this year a bit more interesting?
Post #: 3467
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2019 8:39:08 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Washington didn’t have to give up much to get quarterback Case Keenum. It sent a sixth-rounder to Denver in 2020, with Washington getting the Broncos’ seventh-rounder in 2020, Mike Klis of Denver’s 9News reports.

Keenum got a reworked contract, with the Broncos paying him a $500,000 restructure bonus as well as $3.5 million of his $7 million guaranteed salary, according to Klis. Keenum is scheduled to make $18 million in base salary this season.

An NBAish salary dump?
Post #: 3468
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/8/2019 6:57:39 AM   
Bill Jandro

I was surprised that the Vikings kept Thomas on the 53 man roster for the entire season.

We didn't. He was moved to the PS in favor of Abdullah

Post #: 3469
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/8/2019 9:26:06 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I missed that. It seems I miss a lot, but then Roc Thomas was not a big deal.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3470
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/8/2019 10:34:14 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

An NBAish salary dump?

Well Im sure it is, considering the Broncos have Flacco now and didn't want to pay two QBs over 20 Mil a season. Makes sense for both teams as the Redskins have no idea what is going to happen with Alex Smith. They needed to address the QB situation and did so in a somewhat cheap way.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 3471
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/8/2019 11:07:40 AM   
ratoppenheimer

i don't much about gilbert, but his pff score it good...he's due $4.5m this season - trade for waynes?....

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
Steelers are shopping starting RT Marcus Gilbert for a potential trade, per source.

Post #: 3472
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/8/2019 11:23:35 AM   
ratoppenheimer

another one....

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero
The #Lions have released veteran guard T.J. Lang. One of the good guys.

Post #: 3473
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/8/2019 12:37:47 PM   
ratoppenheimer

i wonder if we tried to get in on this...cardinals gave the steelers a 6th round pick...

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
Steelers OT Marcus Gilbert traded to the Cardinals, per source

Post #: 3474
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/8/2019 1:32:51 PM   
marty

I don't have the link to the article, but apparently Holton Hill was at the place where Roc was busted.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3475
Page:   <<   < prev  137 138 [139] 140 141   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  137 138 [139] 140 141   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode