Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  141 142 [143] 144 145   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2019 3:25:58 AM   
David Levine

Andrew Krammer@Andrew_Krammer
#Vikings guards with NFL snaps currently under contract for 2019:

Danny Isidora (361 snaps)
Post #: 3551
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/19/2019 1:30:56 AM   
Bruce Johnson

The Vikings scored less than one point per game less in 2018 than they did in their 13 game win season in 2017. On defense, they allowed four points per game more last season. I was thinking that the difference between a good team and a great team is not really that much. They don't have to completely transform the team, but rather they could have the approach of improving on last year. A field goal more per game on offense and a field goal less allowed on defense per game could make a big difference. Of course winning some of the closer games always makes a difference in the season for any team.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3552
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/19/2019 9:11:29 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

The Vikings scored less than one point per game less in 2018 than they did in their 13 game win season in 2017. On defense, they allowed four points per game more last season. I was thinking that the difference between a good team and a great team is not really that much. They don't have to completely transform the team, but rather they could have the approach of improving on last year. A field goal more per game on offense and a field goal less allowed on defense per game could make a big difference. Of course winning some of the closer games always makes a difference in the season for any team.

Schedule was easier in 2017 than 2018 also...

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3553
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/19/2019 9:25:43 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Schedule was easier in 2017 than 2018 also...

Good point. Chicago, in particular, was a tougher foe.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3554
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/24/2019 8:36:29 PM   
Ricky J

Hey everybody!

I'm trying to take a break from the whole social media thing but after signing Barr and listening to Zimmer's press conference I felt I needed to come in and face the music. I'm afraid after criticizing the selecting of Barr for the Pro Bowl I'm one of those layman Zim was talking about. ha ha Cool beans. Let's get it done this next time around!

Watched some damn good wrestling last night with the NCAA finals on. Actually ESPN has been good to college wrestling this year by covering all the main sessions. I used to watch the basketball pretty close and get in all the pools. But shit, might as well as come up with an app to let you know when there's 5 min. left so you can just tune in then (in Iowa's case it'd be the second half, though).

I'll be back.
Post #: 3555
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/25/2019 4:52:45 AM   
Todd M

quote:

Let's get it done this next time around!

I imagine we almost all think about this all the time. This time. This year.

Forgetting about what the Patriots have amazingly been able to do, for so long, and so consistently...what is it that comes together to get a team over the top? I think we undeniably have the talent to make a run. Not sure how you could get a group of guys together with more desire. We have a good system with owners doing everything to win. What will it take? More luck than usual? More arbitrary 'heart'? Surely the collective confidence of the fan base has no factor. But then I do wonder what the weight of never winning does to the collective consciousness of all involved.

I don't know what it takes. It's not 1/32 draw your name out of a hat. Some teams surely have no chance but if you are genuinely in the mix...what gets you to the top of the mountain? I think almost all teams are always building for a championship but I think something happens each specific year that brings a team together. Again, forgetting about the Patriots for a second.

Whatever it is I hope that it happens this year. Not that I won't keep waiting and hoping it's just that I know it will be a game changer, emotionally and spiritually and we deserve that.
Post #: 3556
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/26/2019 9:15:24 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Chris Tomasson @christomasson
Josh Kline's contract has been filed & cap number is $3.08 million. #Vikings, according to NFL Players Association, have $3,003,682 under cap before Dan Bailey signing With his $1 million cap number & in line to displace player with a cap of $570,000 Vikings would have $2,573,682.

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
Some additional information on #Vikings Josh Kline contract. Cap number expected to be a little over $3 million. He got a $4M signing bonus & $7.25M is guaranteed. Base salaries expected to be $1.45M for 2019 $4.4M for 2020 & $4.75M for 2021. And there are workout, roster bonuses.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3557
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/26/2019 2:27:41 PM   
Tom Sykes

Chad Graff
‏Verified account @ChadGraff
46m46 minutes ago

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer: "We’re going to try some different things this year defensively. I mean, like, really out-of-the-box kind of things a little bit."
Post #: 3558
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/26/2019 2:27:54 PM   
Tom Sykes

Chad Graff
1h1 hour ago

Is there anything in OTAs or training camp that Mike Zimmer wants to see Kirk Cousins be better at? "With him," Zimmer said, "I don’t think it’s any of those things. It’s games – that’s where he’s got to play better.”
Post #: 3559
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/26/2019 2:28:55 PM   
Tom Sykes

Chad Graff
3h3 hours ago

There's a definite chance Kyle Sloter is going to be the Vikings' backup QB. Mike Zimmer said they'd like to bring in a veteran, but they don't have a lot of cap space. He said they'd also consider bringing in a rookie for training camp competition.

(Still not a great vote of confidence for Soter)

Chris Tomasson
‏@christomasson
58m58 minutes ago

A source said that free-agent quarterback Sean Mannion will visit the #Vikings later this week. They're looking for a veteran to compete with Kyle Sloter to be Kirk Cousins' backup.

(Competition for Sloter, yes. As backup, no. If he Mannion wins it, maybe Sloter's not the guy)

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/26/2019 2:35:44 PM >
Post #: 3560
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/26/2019 2:29:21 PM   
Tom Sykes

Chad Graff
3h3 hours ago

Mike Zimmer said the Vikings are considering moving Riley Reiff to guard, but it's more just because they're not sure how the draft board will fall. If they draft a tackle, Reiff can go to left guard. If they draft a guard, Reiff will stay at tackle.
Post #: 3561
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/26/2019 2:30:08 PM   
Tom Sykes

Chad Graff
3h3 hours ago

Mike Zimmer on Xavier Rhodes: "Xavier needs to play better. I’m going to make sure he plays better. … I just don’t think he played as well as he can play. He needs to play up to his ability level. We’re paying him a lot of money. He needs to play up to that contract."
Post #: 3562
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/26/2019 3:08:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Chad Graff
3h3 hours ago

Mike Zimmer on Xavier Rhodes: "Xavier needs to play better. I’m going to make sure he plays better. … I just don’t think he played as well as he can play. He needs to play up to his ability level. We’re paying him a lot of money. He needs to play up to that contract."

Whoa! Ok. The Vikings are not going to trade Rhodes. You don't say this publicly if you are trying to trade the guy.

Post #: 3563
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/26/2019 3:18:39 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Chad Graff
3h3 hours ago

Whoa! Ok. The Vikings are not going to trade Rhodes. You don't say this publicly if you are trying to trade the guy.

There is no way they would trade Rhodes before June 1. If they do, they eat more than $7M in dead cap money. Even if they trade him after June 1, it would still be $2.4M.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3564
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/26/2019 6:22:00 PM   
Bruce Johnson

If someone offered a first rounder I would jump on that and make it happen.

Post #: 3565
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/26/2019 6:25:27 PM   
David Levine

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
Source says the Vikings have indeed given Rick Spielman an extension through the 2020 season, to keep him in line with Mike Zimmer.
Post #: 3566
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/26/2019 6:33:41 PM   
Todd M

quote:

If we are lucky we might be able to turn pick into a top 5 CB.
Post #: 3567
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/26/2019 7:18:13 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

If we are lucky we might be able to turn pick into a top 5 CB.

Well, aren't you suddenly all Big O-ish.
Post #: 3568
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 1:23:54 PM   
kwheats

Xavier Rhodes' Twitter likes suggest he's unhappy in Minnesota
ByANTHONY BROOME 81 minutes ago

Xavier Rhodes is one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL when healthy and locked in, but that was not always the case for the star defensive back of the Minnesota Vikings in 2018. That led to some comments from head coach Mike Zimmer earlier this week that suggested he needed to start playing up to the money that was given to him, which apparently has struck a nerve with Rhodes.

Rhodes' recent Twitter activity, namely his liked posts, suggest that he wants a fresh start and that Zimmer is blaming players instead of himself. He does not like a ton of tweets, or use his account as much as other players do, but three likes in the matter of a day or so on one subject matter certainly raises some eyebrows.

Anthony Broome
@anthonytbroome
It does not appear #Vikings CB Xavier Rhodes is taking kindly to Mike Zimmer telling him he needs to play up to his contract, judging by his Twitter likes as of late.

11:32 AM - Mar 28, 2019
See Anthony Broome's other Tweets
Twitter Ads info and privacy

“He hasn’t lost speed, he hasn’t lost athletic ability,” Zimmer said at the Owners Meetings in Phoenix earlier this week. “He’s kind of gotten away from his technique a little bit and we’re going to get back to it.

“I just don’t think he played as well as he can play and he needs to play up to his ability level, and I need to make sure that he does that. We’re paying him a lot of money; he needs to play up to that contract.”

Rumors had swirled earlier this offseason that teams were calling the Vikings about a potential trade for Rhodes or Trae Waynes, who is set to make $9.9 million fully guaranteed this offseason on his fifth-year option on a rookie contract. Rhodes signed a lucrative extension with the team prior to the start of the 2017 season that pays out $70.1 million over five seasons at an average annual value of around $14 million per year. $32.8 million of that was guaranteed at signing and he received a $12 million signing bonus.

Should the Vikings trade Rhodes this offseason, it would clear $6.1 in cap space, but carry a dead cap hit of $7.2 million prior to June 1. After June 1, it would save them about $11 million against the cap with a dead cap hit of $2.4 million in 2019 and $4.8 million in 2020.

Rhodes was selected in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft out of Florida State by the Vikings with the No. 25 overall pick. Since he joined the team, he has made a pair of Pro Bowl appearances in 2016 and 2017 with starts in 82 of the 89 career games that he has suited up for in a Vikings uniform. He also has 309 total tackles to go along with 10 interceptions, one of which was a pick-six that went for 100 yards back during the 2016 campaign.
Post #: 3569
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 3:07:13 PM   
Ragnarök

Most of today's players just dont respond well to Zimm's old school style and personality...

As well I think some of them have a point, if Zimm cant look in mirror and start with himself and his coaches under him... Their perceived "game planning" and lack of adjustments in game...

Not a good look when your strongest position point in coaching, the star corner is unhappy with being thrown under bus and called out in public over his play in your schemes.

Players love to play for Zimmer seems to be losing its merit...
Post #: 3570
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 4:00:24 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Most of today's players just dont respond well to Zimm's old school style and personality...

As well I think some of them have a point, if Zimm cant look in mirror and start with himself and his coaches under him... Their perceived "game planning" and lack of adjustments in game...

Not a good look when your strongest position point in coaching, the star corner is unhappy with being thrown under bus and called out in public over his play in your schemes.

Players love to play for Zimmer seems to be losing its merit...

yeah, just ask anthony barr...at least with zimmer you know where you stand with him....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3571
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 4:55:40 PM   
Bill Jandro

I think Rag has a solid point regarding Zim should "look in the mirror"

Many of his game plans are not good nor do I see smart in game adjustments.

When your team comes out flat in a 'play in game" at home nonetheless. QB and top WR arguing on the sideline and many players only putting in a minimal effort suggests Zim has lost their ear.

Calling guys out (even if deserved) doesn't appear to be going over very well.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3572
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 5:21:16 PM   
Bill Jandro

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/3/27/18284116/why-pat-elflein-needs-serious-competition-at-center

Elflain is a bum

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3573
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 5:27:15 PM  1 votes
Todd M

I don't like it. I would be fine not knowing how anyone feels about one another unless it's buddy buddy stuff like the players in Japan.

If Zim had given us a championship then it might be a different story. I don't think the old school thing meshes well with what and how Zim shares with the media. Just because you 'shoot straight' and 'tell it like it is' doesn't mean you have to share.

Look at how this appears vs something like - Rhodes is an amazing player and this year I challenge him prove he's the best...he has it in him. I feel like last year was a bit of a down year for him and I'd like him to kill it this year.

I think it was a mistake for the coach to talk about earning money.
Post #: 3574
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 5:30:46 PM   
Todd M

These are the little things that can keep a team from rising to the top. A little humility when he has definitely dropped the ball might make it easier to swallow but he's a non championship winning coach that has blemishes...ought to be careful with what he says.
Post #: 3575
Page:   <<   < prev  141 142 [143] 144 145   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  141 142 [143] 144 145   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode